PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E-520

Mr_John
02-23-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm thinking of purchasing a used Olympus E-520 dslr for a hobby. I've done some research and it seems that this is a good beginner camera for hobbyists.

Comes with 2 lenses: 40-150mm and 14-54mm
Cost: $375

My question is, how come Olympus isn't up there with Nikon and Canon? And should I spend the extra $200+ on a comparable Nikon (D60)/Canon (?) instead?

Mitsu3000gt
02-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Mr_John
I'm thinking of purchasing a used Olympus E-520 dslr for a hobby. I've done some research and it seems that this is a good beginner camera for hobbyists.

Comes with 2 lenses: 40-150mm and 14-54mm
Cost: $375

My question is, how come Olympus isn't up there with Nikon and Canon? And should I spend the extra $200+ on a comparable Nikon (D60)/Canon (?) instead?

Nothing wrong with the E520, just make sure you know what you're getting into.

To answer your other question, they aren't nearly as popular as Nikon/Canon for several reasons. First, and most importantly, when you look at the entire system, it doesn't even compete. Particularly lens selection is not even close to the big two brands. Secondly, they have committed themselves to the micro 4/3 sensor system. It is a smaller sensor than APS-C (which most DSLR's use other than the higher end full frame cameras). This effectively doubles all your focal lengths when viewed as 35mm equivalents, but smaller sensors have more noise, and they have more natural depth of field (harder to blur backgrounds). It's not all bad though, as you do get more reach than an APS-C sensor at any equivalent focal length, and sometimes you want more depth of field. Olympus also uses an in-body image stabilization system. The advantage of that is it works for all lenses, including older lenses and wide primes that aren't tipically stabilized. The disadvantage is that in-lens stabilization is superior, and also stabilizes the viewfinder (helps with tracking, composition, etc.).

Basically it's more of a niche camera. It's all the same to a beginner, but if you start to get more involved in the hobby you will see quite quickly why the vast majority of people are with Nikon/Canon. Again, nothing wrong whatsoever with Olympus, you can get amazing photos with their cams, etc. etc., just understand what type of system you are buying into before investing in it so there are no surprises or disappointments down the road. The biggest thing is the 4/3rds sensor and lens selection that make them unattractive to most.

If I were you, I'd just make things easier on yourself and stick to the big two brands. If I had personally started with Olympus, Pentax, Sony, etc. I'd have switched a long time ago to Nikon or Canon.

Mr_John
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks. I think you've convinced me to spend the extra couple hundred on a Nikon D60. I would hate to be stuck with a niche camera.

Any recommendations on an equal Canon within the <$600 budget? I'd like to go used to keep the costs low.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Nothing wrong with the E520, just make sure you know what you're getting into.

To answer your other question, they aren't nearly as popular as Nikon/Canon for several reasons. First, and most importantly, when you look at the entire system, it doesn't even compete. Particularly lens selection is not even close to the big two brands. Secondly, they have committed themselves to the micro 4/3 sensor system. It is a smaller sensor than APS-C (which most DSLR's use other than the higher end full frame cameras). This effectively doubles all your focal lengths when viewed as 35mm equivalents, but smaller sensors have more noise, and they have more natural depth of field (harder to blur backgrounds). It's not all bad though, as you do get more reach than an APS-C sensor at any equivalent focal length, and sometimes you want more depth of field. Olympus also uses an in-body image stabilization system. The advantage of that is it works for all lenses, including older lenses and wide primes that aren't tipically stabilized. The disadvantage is that in-lens stabilization is superior, and also stabilizes the viewfinder (helps with tracking, composition, etc.).

Basically it's more of a niche camera. It's all the same to a beginner, but if you start to get more involved in the hobby you will see quite quickly why the vast majority of people are with Nikon/Canon. Again, nothing wrong whatsoever with Olympus, you can get amazing photos with their cams, etc. etc., just understand what type of system you are buying into before investing in it so there are no surprises or disappointments down the road. The biggest thing is the 4/3rds sensor and lens selection that make them unattractive to most.

If I were you, I'd just make things easier on yourself and stick to the big two brands. If I had personally started with Olympus, Pentax, Sony, etc. I'd have switched a long time ago to Nikon or Canon.

Mitsu3000gt
02-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Do you need it to include a lens? If not, by far, the best deal going right now is the Nikon D90 for $675. It's a lot more camera than something like a D60. I wouldn't recommend a D60 right now either. It uses an older sensor and is officially discontinued. The current D3100 is quite a bit better than the older D60 and probably not too much more expensive.

In Canon you'd be looking at something like the T1i or XSi, but right now, Nikon's similarly priced options are better.

If you can afford the D90, that is the ticket right now for the money. There is no better bang for the buck out there. If money is tight, pick up a 50/1.8 ($130) or 18-55 VR ($150) or even something used. It'll be a bit over your budget but it's just so much better than something like a D60. It's 2 years old but still very competitive. It used to sell for over $1000 body only. Don't rule out looking for a used one either.

syeve
02-23-2011, 10:38 AM
40d yo

Mr_John
02-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, I would need lens as well.

Where is a good place to purchase used items?
I am currently looking on kijiji but would be open to purchasing online (photography specific websites/forums)

Mitsu3000gt
02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes, I would need lens as well.

Where is a good place to purchase used items?
I am currently looking on kijiji but would be open to purchasing online (photography specific websites/forums)

You can keep an eye on the following places:

http://forums.beyond.ca/category/154/cameras-accessories/

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=221

Kijiji Calgary

www.buysell.com Calgary

http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Keep in mind also that you will NOT have warranty on used items, and Nikon's Canadian warranty is the best in the world (2 years on camera bodies, 5 years lenses). If the seller gives you his receipt and a blank warranty card, you might have luck getting it repaired, you may not, depending on how much Nikon checks into it, which can vary. Nikon's warranty is also MUCH better than Canon's warranty which blows (1yr camera bodies, 1yr lenses). I should also add, though, that under normal circumstances camera equipment is generally very reliable. I've never hand a single issue with any of my equipment.

Mr_John
02-23-2011, 08:36 PM
So I've changed my mind, again. Mitsu, what have you done! jk thanks for the help and advice.

I'll definitely be looking into the d90 or xsi/t1i (leaning towards the t1i as I've found a really good deal, brand new).

Mitsu3000gt
02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
So I've changed my mind, again. Mitsu, what have you done! jk thanks for the help and advice.

I'll definitely be looking into the d90 or xsi/t1i (leaning towards the t1i as I've found a really good deal, brand new).

What's that T1i deal? It'd have to be pretty sweet IMO. That camera is pretty long in the tooth, and happens to use the worst sensor Canon has put out in the last few years (not terrible, just not great). The AF is nothing to write home about either. It's also very small & plasticly - some don't mind that, some do.

dirtsniffer
02-24-2011, 12:00 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325000/fs-canon-rebel-t2i-body-mint/

almost brand new t2i body for 500 bucks sounds like a pretty good deal

Mr_John
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, I shouldn't have said its NEW. But it's basically new from a friends friend who decided to get something better. It was the t1i and kit for $500.

Doh! I was actually pretty excited for this, good thing you're around to guide me. Was the t2i an improvement?

I've been mainly reading reviews on dpreview.com and they gave pretty good reviews to the t1i/t2i, comparable with the nikon d5000.

What's that T1i deal? It'd have to be pretty sweet IMO. That camera is pretty long in the tooth, and happens to use the worst sensor Canon has put out in the last few years (not terrible, just not great). The AF is nothing to write home about either. It's also very small &amp; plasticly - some don't mind that, some do.

Yup I sent him a PM but no response yet. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325000/fs-canon-rebel-t2i-body-mint/

almost brand new t2i body for 500 bucks sounds like a pretty good deal

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Well, I shouldn't have said its NEW. But it's basically new from a friends friend who decided to get something better. It was the t1i and kit for $500.

Doh! I was actually pretty excited for this, good thing you're around to guide me. Was the t2i an improvement?

I've been mainly reading reviews on dpreview.com and they gave pretty good reviews to the t1i/t2i, comparable with the nikon d5000.

The D5000 is an old camera. Great sensor (same as D90 and D300(s)) in an older body. Again, the D3100, Nikon's most entry level cam, is better than the D5000 (which when it was around had the D3000 below it).

The main differences between the T1i and T2i are that the T2i has a better (but higher megapixel) sensor, better metering, ever so slightly faster continuous shooting, better video (T1i has crippled HD video at 20fps, T2i has proper 30/25/24 HD video), and better bracketing (+/- 5ev vs 2ev)

A few things I caution people on when considering the T2i is that it has a 18MP sensor. What this means is that without top quality lenses, you *may* be disappointed with sharpness, etc. depending entirely on how picky you are. That sensor out-resolves cheap glass. Secondly, the AF system is nothing special. It's not bad, but Canon doesn't use very good AF in their Rebel series bodies. Lastly, it's small in the hand, and plasticly/toy like. Some people are OK with that and like the small size, some don't like it. I personally hate it but thats just me.

On the plus side, a lot of people think the T2i is every bit as good as the newer 60D, as they are quite similar.

Still, if you can swing a D90, you will be better off than anything else we've talked about here. I am starting to sound like a broken record recommending D90's to so many people in various threads LOL, but the fact remains it is without a doubt the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Mr_John
02-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Still, if you can swing a D90, you will be better off than anything else we've talked about here. I am starting to sound like a broken record recommending D90's to so many people in various threads LOL, but the fact remains it is without a doubt the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Ok, you've sold me. I'm meeting up with someone for a D90 (body only) tonight, has transferrable 3 year warranty left from MemExpress.

If that goes well, then I'll have to find a lens, can't wait to start snapping and photoshopping!

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Ok, you've sold me. I'm meeting up with someone for a D90 (body only) tonight, has transferrable 3 year warranty left from MemExpress.

If that goes well, then I'll have to find a lens, can't wait to start snapping and photoshopping!

Try snap a few pics if you can, and also find out how many shutter actuations are on the camera before you buy it. Any exif software can tell you that (i.e. Opanda iExif). The seller hopefully can help you with that. The shutter on a D90 is tested to 100,000 actuations (may last much longer, but it's only tested to 100k). So, make sure it's well below that which is probably is.

Whats the asking price? Keep in mind you can get a brand new one for $675.

Mr_John
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM

Try snap a few pics if you can, and also find out how many shutter actuations are on the camera before you buy it. Any exif software can tell you that (i.e. Opanda iExif). The seller hopefully can help you with that. The shutter on a D90 is tested to 100,000 actuations (may last much longer, but it's only tested to 100k). So, make sure it's well below that which is probably is.

Whats the asking price? Keep in mind you can get a brand new one for $675.

$550 with 3300ish actuations and warranty until 2014.

Is there a specific type of brand for the lens that you would recommend with this? WAs looking at this: http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Nikon-mount-Sigma-Telephoto-Lens-55-200mm-Auto-Focus-99-W0QQAdIdZ262820512

But the reviews aren't the best for it.

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2011, 05:36 PM

$550 with 3300ish actuations and warranty until 2014.

Is there a specific type of brand for the lens that you would recommend with this? WAs looking at this: http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Nikon-mount-Sigma-Telephoto-Lens-55-200mm-Auto-Focus-99-W0QQAdIdZ262820512

But the reviews aren't the best for it.

That seems like a pretty good deal, barely used and a big warranty.

Forget that Sigma 55-200. Sigma makes some great lenses, but this isn't one of them.

Look into the following:

Nikon 50/1.8 D ($130 new)
Nikon 18-105 VR ($350 or so, great all round lens)
Nikon 18-55 VR (entry level kit lens, $150 new)
Nikon 55-200 VR (entry level zoom, decent)
Nikon 70-300 VR (best bang for the buck zoom, $430 new)
Sigma 17-70/2.8-4
Tamron 17-50/2.8
Sigma 17 or 18-50/2.8

Some may be too expensive for you, particularly the 2.8 zooms at the end of my list, especially new, but that is a good starting point. It would help to know what type of photography you want to do as well.

Mr_John
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Nikon 50/1.8 D ($130 new)
Nikon 18-105 VR ($350 or so, great all round lens)
Nikon 18-55 VR (entry level kit lens, $150 new)
Nikon 55-200 VR (entry level zoom, decent)
Sigma 17-70/2.8-4
Tamron 17-50/2.8
Sigma 17 or 18-50/2.8

I ended up purchasing the D90. It's in mint condition too and everything worked well. Now I just need to buy some lenses.

Looking to take pictures of buildings, random city pictures and nature (close up photos of animals and bugs)

I don't mind spending the extra money if needed, but I'm thinking that I would start with something like the 18-105 until I get used to things and upgrade lenses as I go along.

Thanks again for the guidance, appreciate the help.

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2011, 07:28 PM

I ended up purchasing the D90. It's in mint condition too and everything worked well. Now I just need to buy some lenses.

Looking to take pictures of buildings, random city pictures and nature (close up photos of animals and bugs)

I don't mind spending the extra money if needed, but I'm thinking that I would start with something like the 18-105 until I get used to things and upgrade lenses as I go along.

Thanks again for the guidance, appreciate the help.

Your welcome.

You won't be getting any closeups of bugs with any of the lenses I listed, for that you need a dedicated macro lense. You can't go wrong with any of the following, nobody really makes a bad macro lens:

Nikon 60/2.8 macro
Nikon 105/2.8 VR macro
Sigma 70/2.8 macro
Sigma 105/2.8 macro
Sigma 150/2.8 macro
Tamron 90/2.8 macro
Tokina 100/2.8 macro

The longer focal length macro lens, the larger the working distance, but the less depth of field you get (i.e. you will need to stop down more than a shorter focal length lens to get the same amount in focus).

Mr_John
02-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Well, after reading the reviews about the 70-300 VR (amazing reviews by everyone), I was able to pick up a used one for $340, very well taken care of and shoots nicely. I'm all set to go!

Mitsu3000gt
02-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Well, after reading the reviews about the 70-300 VR (amazing reviews by everyone), I was able to pick up a used one for $340, very well taken care of and shoots nicely. I'm all set to go!

Well done. You seem to have found some great used equipment.

Feel free to ask questions here or even PM me if you prefer if you ever have questions or want help.

Mr_John
02-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I spent a little bit more than I wanted but was still in my range of what I could afford. So I'm very happy with everything but am wondering, what have I just gotten myself into. This is going to be an expensive hobby.

I'll have to buy you a beer or two at a beyond meet sometime.

Well done. You seem to have found some great used equipment.

Feel free to ask questions here or even PM me if you prefer if you ever have questions or want help.