PDA

View Full Version : Tip at Vietnamese?

Manhattan
02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Usually I tip a buck or two since the bill is small but I have been told it's not necessary and its not expected. I have heard conflicting stories about this. Either way I'm just curious.

dj_rice
02-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Its still a restaurant so 10-15% still applies.

JordanLotoski
02-23-2011, 10:17 PM
I always tip the norm 15-20% based on service. Maybe in Vietnam it's not expected nor encouraged.

adam c
02-23-2011, 10:18 PM
depends where i go and if there's any type of service

if i go to pho dau bo i tip since the owner is always nice to us and remembers us

Dr_Funk
02-23-2011, 11:00 PM
The problem with most vietnamese restaurants is that most (if not all) of the tip will go to the owners and not the servers.

My cousin worked as a server at one of the pho places. They only gave him $2-$3 extra per hour as "tip". The owner kept the rest of the tip.

SScott
02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Do Asians tip at western style restaurants?

you&me
02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by SScott
Do Asians tip?

Got that fixed right up for ya :D

Xtrema
02-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Do Asians tip at western style restaurants?

I do but don't expect me exceeding 15%.

SScott
02-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Go to Honolulu (halfway to Asia) checkout a cheesecake factory and see if they're leaving tips. The answer is no

Xtrema
02-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Go to Honolulu (halfway to Asia) checkout a cheesecake factory and see if they're leaving tips. The answer is no

The difference is, in Asia, restaurants have mandatory tips. That's why they don't tip because they expect it to be in the bill already.

Much like when you show up with party of 8 or more in restaurants here.

van
02-24-2011, 02:47 AM
We ate at Pendolasca in Sai Gon and we tipped the girl 200,00VND which is something like 10CAD and she was so shocked until we told her either take it or I'm going to take it back and she stuffed it in her pocket lol.

Being from N. America even in Vietnam our party still tipped where ever we went, I mean, you see the way people live there a little extra doesn't hurt anybody our currency is so great converted to their currency.

When eating out at Pho restaurants here I always give a few bucks for tips.

bignerd
02-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The difference is, in Asia, restaurants have mandatory tips. That's why they don't tip because they expect it to be in the bill already.

Much like when you show up with party of 8 or more in restaurants here.

There was no tipping in Japan, and it was not added to your bill either. Perhaps it was included in the price of the food but prices seemed reasonable to me. Mind you, the customer service reflected the fact that tipping is not the norm there, good luck trying to get a drink refill, ever.

My brother even said if you tried to tip they would be chasing after you to give the money back to you not understanding, thinking you dropped it or forgot it.

K3RMiTdot
02-28-2011, 12:58 AM
i do depends on the service and place i go to though