PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a couple cars...

Gibson
02-24-2011, 10:45 PM
I think I'm going to look into buying a different car this spring and I've been wondering about a few different models. I've come up with a list of ones typically in my budget, looking for a low mileage example. My current car is a Sentra SE-R SpecV and I like the idea of putting a bunch of go-fast bits into a small compact but I think I need something a little more middle of the road.

Does anyone have any experience with:
-First-gen Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe
-Ford Focus SVT hatch or ST sedan
-Toyota Corolla S or XRS, previous gen.
-Honda Accords around the 5-10 thousand dollar range, usually 02-04 models.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. 98% preference towards a manual transmission vehicle, bullet proof reliability and at least a shred of "sportiness" would be ideal. Something else to keep in mind is that I live in Lloydminster so I don't have a wide access to dealers and auto shops. There seems to be a huge hate-on for imports here.

Cheers

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
02-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Considered a Subaru?
You can get an 02 WRX for around your price range, they eat gas, but they're sorta reliable, quick, practical... AWD helps in winter.

Gibson
02-26-2011, 01:05 AM
I have, yeah, but most of them are higher mileage examples. And like I said, not a lot of Subaru's kicking around up here, I don't know who I'd take it to if I had a problem. I did look at an Impreza as an alternative to my Sentra actually and in retrospect I probably should have bought it, but it was a base model whereas my Sentra is pretty loaded for about the same price.

georgemagana
02-26-2011, 01:30 AM
from those on the list get the accord! dont even question those accords! they are bomb proof

dirtsniffer
02-26-2011, 04:33 AM
my buddy just got a vibe gt for 5000 bucks

pretty sweet car too, 6 speed manual with 180 hp motor from celica gts

crapstixs
02-27-2011, 03:09 AM
I hate the feel of the the clutch on the corolla xrs. yes its 6 speed but the clutch is veryhard to get use to.
im all over subaru, there very good cars. but keep in mind the late 90's to mid 2000's have head gasket problems. you can blame gm for that. any competent tech should be able to work on them, even in loyd.
ide be carful of the vibe/matrix. over the last year ive seen like 3 fucked up manual trannys in them. you really cant go wrong with the accord and the focus, there both really good cars.

Gibson
02-27-2011, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by georgemagana
from those on the list get the accord! dont even question those accords! they are bomb proof

Yeah, but the problem seems to be in finding one I want. Again, higher mileage examples, or they're automatic, or they're coupes. They are high on the list though.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
my buddy just got a vibe gt for 5000 bucks

pretty sweet car too, 6 speed manual with 180 hp motor from celica gts

It does seem like a pretty sweet little package. The cargo room would be a huge plus. I'm just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with one so I can make a decision about whether I should even waste my time going to look at some examples.

Prostrho
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
I was in the same boat as you.

Was driving a 2002 SER Spec V. Got tired of the stiff ride and generally unrefined driving experience. Its a great fun car when you push it, don't get me wrong, but its a little bit too raw for daily driver.

Driving a 03 Maxima SE 6 spd right now. It's still plenty fast, but way more comfy and has a bit more toys. heated leather seats, heated steering wheel, HIDs etc. It drives like a grown up Sentra.

Also might want to think about Mazda 6 wagon with 5spd if you want cargo space.

Gibson
02-27-2011, 10:53 PM
^^ Yeah I agree, it would make for a great track/summer car/project car. Makes a nice noise, and the transmission is a great little unit but it's kind of a niche car.

I have thought about a Mazda 3 or 6 wagon (the Mazda Protege5s have pretty bad rust problems) but it's just hard finding a low mileage manual equipped vehicle in my price range. I really really badly want a wagon because I love them but I also need one that comes with a parcel shelf. Don't like having an exposed trunk.

Originally posted by crapstixs
I hate the feel of the the clutch on the corolla xrs. yes its 6 speed but the clutch is veryhard to get use to.
im all over subaru, there very good cars. but keep in mind the late 90's to mid 2000's have head gasket problems. you can blame gm for that. any competent tech should be able to work on them, even in loyd.
ide be carful of the vibe/matrix. over the last year ive seen like 3 fucked up manual trannys in them. you really cant go wrong with the accord and the focus, there both really good cars.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I've heard bad things about the driver feel of the Corolla S and XRS and that's why I'm a little hesitant about buying one. I still want a car that I can enjoy driving when the mood strikes me. I suppose I'll have to take one for a spin.

First I've heard about the Matrix/Vibe trannys too, I'll have to look into that a little further. Cheers.

Rabb
02-28-2011, 09:36 AM
my wife 06 Corolla XRS is gonna be put up for sale, we need a bigger car she only has 60,000kms

great lil car, fun to drive and great on fuel

Gibson
03-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Saturn Ion Quad Coupes? I like the rear suicide doors and I don't mind the looks so much. Dent and rust resistant panels are a plus.

Kardon
03-06-2011, 12:03 AM
I'd consider a 6MT maxima of some sort, would probably be the quickest out of the cars being considered and is similarly priced.