PDA

View Full Version : Child abducted from Deerfoot Mall by man posing as police officer

urban.one
02-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Keep a close eye on your kids.

Child abducted from Deerfoot Mall by man posing as police officer

Calgary Herald February 25, 2011 7:03

CALGARY - A 10-year-old girl was forcibly abducted from the Deerfoot Mall Thursday evening and later released in Airdrie, Calgary police said.

Police said the child was shopping with her father around 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the northwest Calgary mall. She was separated from him when a man approached her and claimed to be a police officer.

The man told the girl she was shoplifting and need to come with him. At some point, the girl questioned her abductor's claim and refused to go further with him, police said. The man then picked up the child and carried her to his vehicle, a green-coloured Dodge Caravan.

At some point later that evening, police said the girl was released in Airdrie. Police have released a vague description of the man involved in the abduction as being about 5 feet, 11 inches (180 centimetres) tall, and weighing 170 pounds (77kg), with blue eyes and brown hair.

Calgary police are asking for public help from anyone who saw the incident.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Child+abducted+from+Deerfoot+Mall+posing+police+officer/4346401/story.html#ixzz1Eytf2jkS

eblend
02-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Wasn't there something else very close to this recently, someone posing as a police to commit a crime..wonder if it is related

GQBalla
02-25-2011, 08:42 AM
^^i think there was a house invasion with people posing as police.

but god damn

Zero102
02-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Fucked up

CMW403
02-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Where the fuck was he father? This shit is unbelievable.

I don't even have kids yet but I can already tell it's going to be the most stressful period of my life.

roopi
02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Isn't this mall in the NE not NW?

Tik-Tok
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by CMW403

She's 10, not 5. I remember riding my bike to the mall alone at that age, let alone wandering around it when my parents were shopping.

GQBalla
02-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

She's 10, not 5. I remember riding my bike to the mall alone at that age, let alone wandering around it when my parents were shopping.

its a different world now

Supa Dexta
02-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Arent there a few cameras kicking around the mall to be able to get a pic of the guy???

Feruk
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

No, just news is more readily available so you hear about it more often.

Tik-Tok
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM

True, but child kidnapping by stranger has actually gone down since 1988.

xxviet
02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/xxviet/Pedobear-1.png

:dunno:

desi112
02-25-2011, 10:49 AM
wtf? this is seriously messed up.

Was the girl harmed in anyway besides the trauma of kidnapping?

jaysas_63
02-25-2011, 10:49 AM

:werd: keep an eye out for your kids, 10 years old is too young to let roam free, for this exact reason.

clem24
02-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

True, but child kidnapping by stranger has actually gone down since 1988.

Yeah definitely.. If a kid is kidnapped, you'll be sure to hear it on the news and it's actually quite a rare occurrence. At the same time, it's quite scary given these circumstances.

It was reported this morning that the abductor was accusing the girl of theft. And then the experts suggested "talking to your children". I think this is something very tough to teach. Especially when a person, who claims to be in authority, is blatantly lying to a kid. How would a 10 year old know any better? I sincerely hope that nothing happened to her, that her abductors just took her on a joy ride to Airdrie.

In any case, I don't think you can 100% safe guard your kids. The more you protect them, the more paranoid you become, and the more you will actually distance yourself from your own kids. And again, this is something that's very rare. I say just carry on with your life and do the best you can.

tirebob
02-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I have always taught my kids that if someone they don't know tries to take them, TRUST NOBODY NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY!!! In all cicumstances, start screaming at the top of their lungs that "THIS PERSON IS NOT MY FATHER (mother or whatever)!!! HELP!!! Even if it is a cop. Attract as much attention as possible. If it is a cop and people start coming around, then someone like a cop can be legitimized. If it wasn't, the person would probably be scared off or surrounded by others (in a busy place). Better safe than sorry. I have also taught them on how to best handle being lost etc. How to approach the best possible people and places to get help. Having them looking for the right help is a lot safer than some random stranger offering it...

PLEASE BE SAFE WITH YOUR KIDS PEOPLE...

rony_espana
02-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Apparently the dude was HIV positive:

Cops say a convicted rapist who is HIV-positive is wanted for kidnapping a 10-year-old girl from Deerfoot Mall Thursday night.

A massive manhunt is now underway for John Francis Dionne, 43, of Linden.

Mounties said Dionne has a history of violence and sexual offences against females between the ages of 10 and 42 and has recently been diagnosed as HIV positive.

Cops say a 10-year-old girl became separated from her dad at the mall Thursday night.

The girl was then approached by a man who claimed he was a cop.

The Calgary Police Service says the kidnapper told the girl she was being accused of shoplifting and to come with him.

When the girl balked, the man picked her up and carried her to a waiting vehicle.

In a statement this morning city cops said: “The offender drove north out of the city toward Airdrie where he was pulled over for a traffic violation on Hwy. 567 by a member of the RCMP.

“At the time of the traffic stop, the girl had not been reported missing. The victim was sitting in the front seat of the offender’s van, but was so scared that she didn’t say anything to the officer. The offender was issued a ticket and drove away.”

Cops say the offender then took the girl to an Airdrie MacDonald’s where she was released.

“The girl called 911 and when the RCMP arrived told them she had been kidnapped from Calgary. The victim was taken to Alberta Children’s Hospital for a precautionary check,” said the CPS.

Canada-wide warrants have now been issued for Dionne charging him with kidnapping, child abduction, assault, robbery and impersonating a police officer.

He is 5’-feet 9-inches, 170 lbs., with brown hair and blue eyes. He has a tattoo of two dragons on his upper right arm.

Cops say Dionne is driving a 1997, green or turquoise-coloured Dodge Caravan with AB plate BBT 2981. This plate may now have been removed from the vehicle.

In October, residents of Linden, 100 km northeast of Calgary, reacted in fear when Dionne was released into their community.

At the time, Dionne told Global TV that he didn't want any trouble.

"I just want a fresh start," Dionne said.

"I have no intentions of hurting anybody."

At the time, RCMP Sgt. Patrick Webb said it's rare for police to issue such warnings when an offender is released but given Dionne’s past, which includes a conviction for sexual assault, cops felt the need to warn people.

"These are not done lightly and only when there is a risk to re-offend," Webb said at the time.

"If we believe there's the potential for re-offending and we're worried about the victimization of people, we feel they should be advised."

Dionne was released into Linden when charges of attacking a prostitute were dropped when she recanted her story.

He was charged after his accuser, a drug-addicted former prostitute, said she was picked up in Calgary's East Village on Oct. 28, 2008, and was driven outside the city where he forced himself on her for 10 hours.

During the trial, however, the victim recanted and said she lied about being raped.

[email protected]

Tik-Tok
02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
I have always taught my kids that if someone they don't know tries to take them, TRUST NOBODY NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY!!! ...

We had a code-word when I was a kid. My parents said to NEVER go with anyone, even police, unless they gave the code-word.

I still remember it too, lol "Shirt-Tales" (after the cartoon when I was a kid)

SOAB
02-25-2011, 12:19 PM

I don't even have kids yet but I can already tell it's going to be the most stressful period of my life.

i knew someone was gonna come in here and post something like this.

the worst thing about this post is that it's coming from a guy that doesn't even have a kid.

you have no idea what you're talking about, no idea what it is like to be a father. STFU.

s2k_boi
02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
So the RCMP didn't have the common sense of "what is this guy doing with a 10 year old girl?" Especially when I'm assuming when they pulled up his profile, there would be red flags all over it, and a record..... :dunno:

PD77
02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

i knew someone was gonna come in here and post something like this.

the worst thing about this post is that it's coming from a guy that doesn't even have a kid.

you have no idea what you're talking about, no idea what it is like to be a father. STFU.

Thank you.

gts_gurl
02-25-2011, 12:32 PM
^^ I remember having a code word too!

Scary situation. Hope the girl isn't too traumatized.

LollerBrader
02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by s2k_boi
So the RCMP didn't have the common sense of "what is this guy doing with a 10 year old girl?" Especially when I'm assuming when they pulled up his profile, there would be red flags all over it, and a record..... :dunno:

Interesting call.... You'd even think he'd be restricted from being around kids or something.

Ven
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by s2k_boi

There isn't, that information is protected by FOIP. And while it is accessible from the car an officer needs reason to enter that system. All entries are logged and reviewed and the officer needs to have valid reason why the information was accessed. The officer didn't have probable cause to enter the system. Had the girl, or man, reacted in a way to raise a suspicion he would have dug further and this would have been a much happier story. Contrary to common opinion your whole life history doesn't automatically pop up on the screen when you're being cited for a traffic infraction.

badatusrnames
02-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

No, just news is more readily available so you hear about it more often.

:werd:

Though that's not to say this is still pretty scary for those with kids and should be taken seriously.

mr2mike
02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Pics of Van and guy have been released.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Canada+wide+warrant+issued+suspected+Deerfoot+Mall+kidnapping/4347853/story.html

Traffic_Cop
02-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Ven

There isn't, that information is protected by FOIP. And while it is accessible from the car an officer needs reason to enter that system. All entries are logged and reviewed and the officer needs to have valid reason why the information was accessed. The officer didn't have probable cause to enter the system. Had the girl, or man, reacted in a way to raise a suspicion he would have dug further and this would have been a much happier story. Contrary to common opinion your whole life history doesn't automatically pop up on the screen when you're being cited for a traffic infraction.

Absoloutely in correct. As soon as we stop anyone, we run their wants & warrants as a matter of course. Just stopping the guy for speeding is probable cause. IMO very poor police work.

GREENBOY
02-25-2011, 02:23 PM

It's exactly the same as it ever was. We just got scared and the media got better at scaring us.

bignerd
02-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Maybe he got spooked after getting pulled over on the way to airdrie so let her go as soon as he got there. I was going to say that is a lot of risk to kidnap a child and not do anything to them...

I was going to say I am pretty sure criminal offences you have been convicted of would show up when they run your name... I also agree it is odd that nothing more came of the traffic stop.

turbotrip
02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

Absoloutely in correct. As soon as we stop anyone, we run their wants & warrants as a matter of course. Just stopping the guy for speeding is probable cause. IMO very poor police work.

oooohh police showdown.... which one is the phony cop?

CUG
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM

Absoloutely in correct. As soon as we stop anyone, we run their wants & warrants as a matter of course. Just stopping the guy for speeding is probable cause. IMO very poor police work. They're RCMP Traffic guys, they just want to dump indians off at the edge of town so they can catch more speeders dude.

Ven, cops run plates and particulars all day if they have nothing else to do :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Isn't this mall in the NE not NW?

Shockingly, it's in the NE haha.

Xtrema
02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

And I won't bet on cameras are working @ that mall. It's a shit hole.

Kritafo
02-25-2011, 08:00 PM
well at least he has been arrested!

660News reporting City police have arrested 43 year-old John Francis Dionne wanted in connection with the abduction of a 10 year-old girl

C_Dave45
02-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Would love to see this happen more often:

Oi3Hyxuf5AE

Gibson
02-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Barely, maybe three blocks in.

And I don't know how much it's worth, but as a staff photographer at a newspaper I have to listen to the police scanner all the time and it's very routine for dispatch to bring up warrants and records during traffic checks. I also feel it's something that should have been caught.

Tik-Tok
02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Gibson

Barely, maybe three blocks in.

Deerfoot Mall is on the corner of 64th and 11th St., so 9 to 11 blocks in.

Super_Geo
02-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Would love to see this happen more often:

Oi3Hyxuf5AE

He got 5 year PROBATION?!

Oh wow... that guy is my fucking hero! Fuck yeah!

Tik-Tok
02-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

He got 5 year PROBATION?!

Oh wow... that guy is my fucking hero! Fuck yeah!

Mehhhh, I'm on the fence about that. Glad he only got 5 years probation, but the child molester didn't suffer enough. I would let him go through the system, have his time in jail getting raped by bubba, then on his release day, shoot him dead.

I suppose that would be considered premeditated though, and would get more than 5 years.

Maxt
02-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks for being honest about it.. Now if only the top brass could be as candid.

Maxt
02-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks for being honest about it.. Now if only the top brass could be as candid.

D'z Nutz
03-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Police acknowledge the reason why the traffic officer was unaware of Dionne's status was because of a miscommunication between the officer and dispatcher.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/03/17/17649436.html

No penalty in abduction debacle
By NADIA MOHARIB, QMI Agency

Sex offender's traffic stop case probed

CALGARY - Mounties say a communications breakdown between an officer and dispatcher meant a child was not rescued from a convicted sex offender's vehicle.

John Francis Dionne was stopped Feb. 24 near Airdire with a 10-year-old girl he allegedly kidnapped a short time earlier from Deerfoot Mall, who was sitting in the front passenger seat.

He was handed a speeding ticket and drove off and the girl was dropped off unharmed at a nearby McDonald's.

On Wednesday, RCMP released review findings into the botched traffic stop, vowing to "improve the way we do things."

The probe showed there was information available detailng Dionne's criminal past and concerns he might re-offend -- which prompted Mounties to issue a public notification last fall when he was released into the village of Linden.

But the Mountie did not get that information during the traffic stop.

Neither the officer, a 25-year veteran working highway patrol since January, nor dispatcher will face any discipline.

The case will, however, prompt improved procedures that will require dispatchers to ensure such details are received by an officer.

"In this case, the officer did his best given the information he possessed at the time," RCMP Supt. Gary Brine, said. It "identified a miscommunication issue and the RCMP is committed to making sure it doesn't happen again."

After pulling the minivan over, the officer did the required checks and determined it was registered to Dionne.

While the police database showed he had a record of violence and was also flagged as 'special interest to police,' key information which likely would have led the officer to investigate further did not get to him.

RCMP said the dispatcher voiced the cautions via radio and sent the information to the laptop in his cruiser.

The officer said he heard the caution for violence but not the SIP caution and the laptop message was not flagged high priority, which breaches the dispatcher's required procedures.

"Police officers are inundated on a daily basis with bulletins, wanted posters and other information," RCMP Insp. James Stiles said.

"This is why this information is placed onto police computers, so when we encounter these people the necessary flags are in place -- in this case ... all the information wasn't conveyed to the officer."

Had the officer received the information his likely actions would have been very different, he said.

"Things could have turned out entirely differently," Stiles said.

"He would have been more inquisitive, no doubt, and with a young female in the vehicle would have triggered him to investigate."

HiTempguy1
03-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Now, let me say that I think the RCMP and EPS/CPS do a great job, having dealt with all of them.

Having said that, the thing that irritates me about that^^^ is that THIS IS THEIR JOB. Its what they do. The systems are in place, its not like its a general contractor who does a whole bunch of shit and this is one of those things he isn't used to. My friend is a dispatcher for an oilfield company. You fuck up, you are in deep shit, not "oops, ma bad".

:dunno: