PDA

View Full Version : How to Fix an Economy, or, how fake money saved Brazil

CUG
02-26-2011, 12:18 AM
Some of you armchair economist posers with no formal education past grade 9 should read this. Sorry, there's no graphs or plagiarized content in here:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/10/04/130329523/how-fake-money-saved-brazil

This is a story about how an economist and his buddies tricked the people of Brazil into saving the country from rampant inflation. They had a crazy, unlikely plan, and it worked.

Twenty years ago, Brazil's inflation rate hit 80 percent per month. At that rate, if eggs cost $1 one day, they'll cost $2 a month later. If it keeps up for a year, they'll cost $1,000.

In practice, this meant stores had to change their prices every day. The guy in the grocery store would walk the aisles putting new price stickers on the food. Shoppers would run ahead of him, so they could buy their food at the previous day’s price.

The problem went back to the 1950s, when the government printed money to build a new capital in Brasilia. By the 1980s, the inflation pattern was in place.

It went something like this:

1. New President comes in with a new plan.
2. President freezes prices and/or bank accounts.
3. President fails.
4. President gets voted out or impeached.
5. Repeat.

The plans succeeded at only one thing: Convincing every Brazilian the government was helpless to control inflation.

There was one more option that no one knew about. It was dreamed up by four guys at the Catholic University in Rio. The only reason they enter the picture now — or ever — is because in 1992, there happened to be a new finance minister who knew nothing about economics. So the minister called Edmar Bacha, the economist who is the hero of our story.

"He said, 'Well, I've just been named the finance minister. You know I don’t know economics, so please come to meet me in Brasilia tomorrow,' " Bacha recalls. "I was terrified."

Bacha had been waiting for decades for this call.

He and three friends had been studying Brazilian inflation since they were graduate students — four guys at the campus bar complaining to each other about how no one else knew how to fix this. And now they were being told "Fine, do it your way."

Bacha was invited to meet the president.

"I asked for an autograph for my kids," Bacha says. So the president wrote Bacha's kids a note that said, "Please tell your father to work fast for the benefit of the country."

The four friends set about explaining their idea. You have to slow down the creation of money, they explained. But, just as important, you have to stabilize people's faith in money itself. People have to be tricked into thinking money will hold its value.

The four economists wanted to create a new currency that was stable, dependable and trustworthy. The only catch: This currency would not be real. No coins, no bills. It was fake.

"We called it a Unit of Real Value — URV," Bacha says. "It was virtual; it didn't exist in fact."

People would still have and use the existing currency, the cruzeiro. But everything would be listed in URVs, the fake currency. Their wages would be listed in URVs. Taxes were in URVs. All prices were listed in URVs. And URVs were kept stable — what changed was how many cruzeiros each URV was worth.

Say, for example, that milk costs 1 URV. On a given day, 1 URV might be worth 10 cruzeiros. A month later, milk would still cost 1 URV. But that 1 URV might be worth 20 cruzeiros.

The idea was that people would start thinking in URVs — and stop expecting prices to always go up.

"We didn't understand what it was," says Maria Leopoldina Bierrenbach, a housewife from Sao Paulo. "I used to say it was a fantasy, because it was not real."

Still, people used URVs. And after a few months, they began to see that prices in URVs were stable. Once that happened, Bacha and his buddies could declare that the virtual currency would become the country’s actual currency. It would be called the real.

"Everyone is going to receive from now on their wages, and pay for all the prices, in the new currency, which is the real," Bacha says. "That is the trick."

The day they launched the real, Bacha says, a journalist friend asked him, "Professor, do you swear that inflation will end tomorrow?"

"Yes, I swear." Bacha said.

And, basically, inflation did end, and the country's economy turned around. In the years that followed, Brazil became a major exporter, and 20 million people rose out of poverty.

"We were in awe," Bierrenbach says. "Everybody was very happy."

Modelexis
02-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Even if there was some magical economist theory that could 'save the economy' it would be just papering over a reoccurring problem without addressing the route cause.

If the economy has driven off the road and is smashing through fences and heading for a brick wall, you may want to think of creative ways of tossing objects in front of the wheels to steer it in different directions, but I would like to know who is driving this car.

If you look at what has most control over the current failing economy the answer is the Government.

You can ignore the route cause all you want, you can dream up creative ways of steering the car accident waiting to happen but I would suggest you are wasting your time and energy on the wrong issue.

If you give me 50% of your wage to 'invest' and week after week I come back with less profit, and then begin to return with a net loss and pretty soon I come back and tell you that you actually owe me money because I bet more than what you gave me, do you think it would be productive to think of more clever ways for my investor to get better returns, or would it be more productive to stop giving me your hard earned money which I will lose.
Especially when you begin to owe interest on money that was stolen from you and lost 10 fold.

CUG
02-26-2011, 12:44 AM
^ Well it worked, you just have to apply it to stupid people is all.

Modelexis
02-26-2011, 12:49 AM
If it works it works, post it up on an economist forum and see if it can stand up to crits from other people with working knowledge.

If it holds up great, I'm all for it, I think you should be able to try whatever economic theories you wish.

CUG
02-26-2011, 12:53 AM
^What? I'm not advocating it, just criticizing the end-of-days banter occurring lately. Fuck off with it.

Here's a comment on the page:

This article lacks more research and additional information. For someone who does not know the whole picture, looks like quite an amazing story. The article does not mention the names of the important political players, like the President Itamar Franco, neither the Finance Minister who didn't understand anything about economy, but turned out to use this outcomes to be elected President: Fernando Henrique Cardoso.
However, the main point is that for us, living in the country at the time, the URV meant absolutely nothing but an inconvenience: we were still using the old currency, but had to make all the calculations to URV, and on the top of that, keeping on using the US dollar conversions. It was not only the imaginary currency, which didn't have the effect in the minds of people as mentioned in this article, but other factors which allowed the people to trust in the economy, being one of them, the fact that this plan was not a IMF one, like the others which failed, etc.
My salary, at the time, was automatically converted to USD, as I would buy the American currency as soon as I would get the money in the bank.
Also, you would not need the URV, as there is an automatic inflation correction at your bank account level...

Aside from that, you suggest consulting an economist, but it seems like a lot of them are pretty content with self-servitude.

911fever
02-26-2011, 01:08 AM
interesting man

broken_legs
02-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Soon after its introduction, the real unexpectedly gained value against the U.S. dollar, due to large capital inflows in late 1994 and 1995. During that period it attained its maximum dollar value ever, about US$ 1.20. Between 1996 and 1998 the exchange rate was tightly controlled by the Central Bank, so that the real depreciated slowly and smoothly in relation to the dollar, rising from near 1:1 to about 1.2:1 by the end of 1998. In January 1999 the Central Bank, under its new president Arminio Fraga, released its control. The Real suffered sudden and unexpected maxi-devaluation, to a rate of almost R$2 : US$1.

In the following years, the currency's value against the dollar followed an erratic but mostly downwards path from 1999 until late 2002, when the prospect of the election of leftist candidate Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, considered a radical populist by sectors of the financial markets, prompted another currency crisis and a spike in inflation. Many Brazilians feared another default on government debts or a resumption of heterodox economic policies, and rushed to exchange their reais into tangible assets or foreign currencies. In October 2002 the exchange rate reached its historic low of almost R$4 per US$1. The crisis subsided once Lula took office, after he, his finance minister Antonio Palocci, and Arminio Fraga reaffirmed their intention to continue the orthodox macroeconomic policies of his predecessor (including inflation-targeting, primary fiscal surplus and floating exchange rate, as well as continued payments of the public debt). The value of the real in dollars continued to fluctuate but generally upwards, so that by 2005 the exchange was a little over R$2 : US$1. In May 2007, for the first time since 1999, the real became worth more than US$ 0.50 — even though the Central Bank, concerned about its effect on the Brazilian economy, had tried to keep it below that symbolic threshold.

SOUNDS LIKE INFLATION STOPPED UNTIL 1998. THEN THEIR REALWAS DEVALUED BY 100% (RELATIVE TO THE USD WHICH WAS ALSO DEVALUED)

SO IT LOOKS AS THOUGH THEY EXPERIENCED MASSIVE MONETARY INFLATION FROM 1998-PRESENT.

ZenOps
02-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Small secluded countries can usually get away with iron fist monetary policy.

I don't think the US could ever get away with that. In many ways, Canada has an Iron fist monetary policy as we are technically under an imperial banking system (which historically protects Britain from Canada devaluing its currency, the US was never really a consideration.)

And when I say Iron fist, I mean - realistic, with realistic expectations.

But have no doubt, if the US dollar crumbles, they are going to take Canada with them.

Modelexis
02-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by CUG
^What? I'm not advocating it, just criticizing the end-of-days banter occurring lately. Fuck off with it.

That's fine, but why you mad tho?

Xtrema
02-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Small secluded countries can usually get away with iron fist monetary policy.

China isn't small.

If that trick worked for Brazil it would be because it is a self sufficient country with tons of resources.

I don't think the URV play that big of a role of their raise. It's because we are running out of food and oil.