PDA

View Full Version : Need a new battery, what and where?

ZMan2k2
02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
So I've had my battery load tested, and it's supposed to be 770 CCA, but it tested at 500 CCA. So I'm assuming I have a few months before it really starts to go. It's 4 years old, maybe 4.5, so it's about time. My question is where should I go for a replacement?

This is for my 2006 Tacoma. I don't do much, if any, off-road driving. I don't have any huge electrical draws on it, no big stereo or lights. Just mainly what came with the truck. So is a Canadian Tire replacement good enough? Should I go to the dealer and get an OEM replacement? Or would now be the time to get an Optima? Suggestions please.

adidas
02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Optima is good but really pricey. If ur gonna have the truck foryears and years id say get it.

I purchased my replacement at walmart. It was an energizer battery that has really done its job and hasnt given me any trouble at all.

You get some money back as well when u bring in ur core.

Kloubek
02-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Any place will have a guide to indicate what battery would be appropriate. Canadian Tire, parts stores, all of them. And all the batteries those places sell should work just fine. Keep in mind that the better batteries usually have longer (pro-rated) warranties.

Optima is overboard for your needs.

nobb
02-26-2011, 11:26 AM
500 CCA out of 770 CCA isnt too bad. Do you notice any issues during the winter?

ExtraSlow
02-26-2011, 11:33 AM
the batteries from pretty much anywhere are decent. Crappy tire, walmart etc.
Since most batteries have some kind of warranty, you may want to look at places that have a large number of locations.
I went with Napa for that reason. They have locations in pretty much every small town.

OEM is no better than aftermarket.

Cos
02-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Got a 1100CCA eliminator from CT in October. Thing is solid and fair priced. $130.00 I think and my F150 takes a bigger battery than you are going to need.

I hear that Costco Batteries are Energizer and are really really good batteries.

Guillermo
02-26-2011, 11:48 AM
How much are optimas up here... a couple of hundred bucks? I remember I had an optima in my first car - 1988 hyundai excel - cause my battery shitted out and that's all my dad (a mechanic) had sitting around. LOL :rofl: that thing worked like a champ, though, even when it was -36 and the governor closed all schools in the state!

msommers
02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
If you're going to go Optima, just be cautious where you're buying it from. Some stores like Wal-mart I've heard sell refurbished ones.

Personally, I found the Crappy Tire batteries to work really well.

Mar
02-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about the Canadian Tire Eliminator batteries.
I've got the yellow top Optima in my car and I swear after getting that it'll be one of the first upgrades I do to any car.

Tik-Tok
02-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
How much are optimas up here... a couple of hundred bucks?

My yellow top D35 (for my MR2) was $250 from Battery Direct Calgary. You can get them cheaper at Costco, but Costco didn't have my size.

Guillermo
02-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm actually in the market for a new battery soon, since my stock mazda one sucks balls.

why are you guys running yellow tops - do you have massive sound systems? (I thought the red tops were for starting, and yellow for big power draws).

Mar, yea I saw those batteries on teh crappy tire website... from the shape, they certainly look like dry cell (or whatever they are) batteries. I would be curious to know how they compare to Optima, since they are like $50 cheaper.

http://p0.flyerland.ca/images/products/5403000/5403104_image.jpg

Guillermo
02-26-2011, 12:54 PM
hey, is it true that you have to change your car's computer so that you don't overcharge AGM batteries? I was reading on canadian tire website, and some guy said this:

"Spiral Wound/AGM batteries have different (a lower maximum threshhold) charging requirements than regular lead acid batteries, and simply changing from lead acid to a SW/AGM battery without registering the change in your car's computer system so that it charges properly, will lead to drastically shortened life. The registration generally needs to be done by the dealer with specialized diagnostic tools.
I suspect the people who complain that the battery is junk and doesn't last replaced a used lead acid battery with this spiral wound/AGM version and didn't have the dealer register the change in the cars computer. In older vehicles (mid to early 2000's) the systems don't have the ability to distinguish between batteries and alter their charging characteristics, so consequently the battery is guaranteed to overcharge and fail in a relatively short time."

ZMan2k2
02-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for all the responses. So I don't need to go OEM, that's nice to know, since they are around $180. Canadian tire or NAPA batteries are good too, also nice to know. May consider getting a CT battery, just because there are so many locations, warranty would be easier. I figured Optimas' would be overkill for my needs, but the idea needed to be thrown out there, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I am interested in any answers to Guillermo's question though, about needing to change info in the ECU for a dry-cell battery, I've never heard that before.

Graham_A_M
02-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I needed a cheap battery in a pinch, so I went to Pick 'n Pull.
It was either $20 or $30 for a tested one, and that was 5 years ago.

I've been rocking the same battery this whole time, and its still strong as an Ox.
:thumbsup:
... funny part is I had a pretty nutty system in that car, so I was beating on that poor battery the whole time.

J-hop
02-26-2011, 01:17 PM
just to add to what has been stated, the energizers from walmart have a 3 year warranty, within this time you can just walk in to walmart and if it tests bad they will give you a new one right away.

Just don't lose your receipt like I did :banghead:

Mar
02-26-2011, 02:36 PM
why are you guys running yellow tops - do you have massive sound systems? (I thought the red tops were for starting, and yellow for big power draws).

My car looks like the work of Dr. Frankenstein, I'm running 2 amplifiers plus a computer that sucks power on the 12 volt rail like nobody's business. Plus I'm always in the driveway working on the car with the stereo going for 3 hours at a time, I like the option of being able to drain it completely and it not hurting the battery in any way. If it's drained, hop in, let it roll, pop the clutch and drive around to charge it up again. My old OEM battery took a dump any time I did this.

Mar, yea I saw those batteries on teh crappy tire website... from the shape, they certainly look like dry cell (or whatever they are) batteries. I would be curious to know how they compare to Optima, since they are like $50 cheaper.

http://p0.flyerland.ca/images/products/5403000/5403104_image.jpg

From what I've heard from satisfied customers, the Eliminator is the way to go for midrange applications, they'll start in any cold and give you any extra juice when you need it. You just don't get the benefits of being able to mount it upside down like a dry cell and being able to drain it completely like a deep cycle.

My Yellow Top was $280 from Crowfoot Brake And Muffler, all their authorized dealers are listed on the Optima website.

Supa Dexta
02-26-2011, 02:51 PM
When I need a battery I measure the tray and buy the biggest one that will fit in place (both physical size and cca wise).

lastlatvian
02-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Optima

ipeefreely
02-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Mar

... If it's drained, hop in, let it roll, pop the clutch and drive around to charge it up again. My old OEM battery took a dump any time I did this. ...

From what I've read that's the best way to Kill your alternator, you should use a battery charger if you've drained it that much.

rx7_turbo2
02-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Optima's are not what they used to be. I don't know if they got bought out, or they are using lesser materials or what but........

If you want a good battery look for an Odyssey.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/

A and D Battery in town has them.

Rat Fink
02-27-2011, 08:42 PM

slinkie
02-28-2011, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Eliminators are good if you want a shitload of corrosion buildup on your battery terminals and if you love having your battery tray eaten to shit. Every eliminator I see come into the shop has major corrosion buildup.

Wow I bought a used car with an eliminator in it and you just described it perfectly -1 for eliminator I guess although it works okay haha

Tik-Tok
02-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

Wow I bought a used car with an eliminator in it and you just described it perfectly -1 for eliminator I guess although it works okay haha

Ditto. Every Eliminator I've ever used, gets insane corrosion build up at the terminals. To the point where the car eventually won't start because of it, and I have to clean the terminals off with a wire brush every few months.

AndyL
02-28-2011, 05:46 AM
optimas have changed... the old ones were the sh*t, newer ones suck ass. google it - its pretty well documented.

kirkland - costco. Only place to buy batteries, not junk and its always a straight across trade old for new if/when it shits the bed - no receipt hassless.

rx7_turbo2
03-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Ya don't know what happened to Optima's!!!

The old ones were very good. The newer ones just don't live up to the reputation they built themselves. I find they lose a charge quickly, and if they're allowed to go to far they are toast and you can never get them back.

Jesus the old one's you could leave for a year or more, stone cold dead, throw a trickle on it and bring it back to life.

Odyssey uses 99.9% virgin lead. Really great product with an outstanding warranty. My truck battery is about due, the current cold weather is proving it's about done. I'll be putting an Odyssey in, probably the last battery I'll need to put in it.

dj_patm
03-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm going into to buy a new battery today. Any comments on swapping them out though?

I heard its a pain in the ass which blows when the car is outside in -30 but I have no choice.

J-hop
03-01-2011, 03:46 PM
my best advice right now would be make sure your tools are warmed up inside, i've gotten pretty bad cold "burns" from frozen tools.

then google for a thread on changing the battery in your car so you don't have to fumble in the cold to get the right socket/wrench sizes. Also you should know the mounting points of your battery (ie: mine has a clamp on the bottom of the battery that you need a long extension to reach).

I don't envy you having to do this at these temps, good luck man!

maxwinedog
03-01-2011, 06:48 PM
would you ever buy a refurbished battery? i had a friend tell me about this place in Ogden that sells refurbished ones with 1yr warranty for $45. But i was hesistant and i just went and bought new.

psycoticclown
03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I have an Optima Red top. Absolutely love it. No corrosion or anything, thing works in any temperature. Had my car parked over the weekend numerous times when it's -30 or colder outside and she starts no problem.

What's the difference between the Red tops and yellow tops?

911fever
03-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Costco has great batteries. Picked an energizer up for my F150 a couple weeks ago, its great.

Sal0
03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I was just at Canadian Tire and a lot of people are having battery problems in this weather. Wife has an eliminator battery, that's about a year old and it's frozen solid. Don't know if that's common for that type of battery.

Rat fink is right there does seem to be quite a bit of corrosion, but they do sell some gel that should get rid of, or reduce that.

Canucks3322
03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
I really hope it's just my battery that needs replacement on my car which I parked for the past 2 days outside without running it....:(

J-hop
03-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
I really hope it's just my battery that needs replacement on my car which I parked for the past 2 days outside without running it....:(

as long as you don't have super old anti-freeze or improperly mixed anti-freeze you have nothing to worry about. There isn't a lot that can be damaged from a car just sitting in the cold.

bituerbo
08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I like the Walmart Energizer.
9 years total warranty (prorated), 3yrs free replacement, and 3yrs free roadside assistance for boosts. All for $87.