PDA

View Full Version : Managers

Grogador
02-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Our recent performance appraisals got me thinking about the different managers I've worked for. Everyone loves bitching about work, so maybe you're willing to share about your past/current overlords.

In your opinion, what are a manager's top three duties?
1)
2)
3)

Best boss ever, either a personal description, specific examples or just a list of qualities that made them stand out.

Most ineffective boss ever, same as above.

Grogador
02-26-2011, 11:59 PM
My opinion :D

Duties:
1) provide you with the tools/resources to do your job, everything from a desk to budget
2) shield you from other departments, assign work, set priorities
3) go to bat for you... or on you :)

rest later

M.alex
02-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Best boss ever - the one that sets the task (starting point) and states what deliverables he's looking for (end point) but leaves how you reach it totally up to you to allow for creativity.

Worst boss - It's a toss-up between the one who was arrested by the police in the office for running a ponzi scheme and the one who wasn't able to raise any firm capital, despite returns being >30% compounded/yr, because he'd managed to stab multiple people in the back to make a few extra pennies.

HiTempguy1
02-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
Best boss ever - the one that sets the task (starting point) and states what deliverables he's looking for (end point) but leaves how you reach it totally up to you to allow for creativity.

*DING*

Worst boss ever- one who asks you to do what a "best boss" would, but then micromanages you as well as shoots down every creative idea you come up with to solving the problem.

Another deal killer is a boss (assuming that he is not the head honcho) that does not back you up on issues :banghead:

Unknown303
02-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

*DING*

Worst boss ever- one who asks you to do what a "best boss" would, but then micromanages you as well as shoots down every creative idea you come up with to solving the problem.

Another deal killer is a boss (assuming that he is not the head honcho) that does not back you up on issues :banghead:

Could not agree more. With your comments and the one you quoted as well.

Sugarphreak
02-27-2011, 12:50 AM

eglove
02-27-2011, 12:58 AM
sugarphreak nailed it imo

Grogador
02-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
There are a lot of other important things that need to be done as a manger, but these would be my top 3.

Please don't stop there. I'm having a bit of a "management crisis" with my current job and this is helping me realize that I'm not crazy and it does get better...
(egads I sound like such a vagina)

Sugarphreak
02-27-2011, 11:36 AM

kvg
02-27-2011, 12:02 PM
A good manager IMO is trying to train you to be at his level and makes sure you have the "tools" to do your job properly. Also tells you when you needs to improve some where(not just when during performance appraisals) and assists you in doing so.

lint
02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by kvg
A good manager IMO is trying to train you to be at his level and makes sure you have the "tools" to do your job properly. Also tells you when you needs to improve some where(not just when during performance appraisals) and assists you in doing so.

disagree. not everyone aspires to be management.

@sugarphreak very good points. where have you done your training?

Sugarphreak
02-27-2011, 12:12 PM

kvg
02-27-2011, 12:14 PM
^ what do you do?

Sugarphreak
02-27-2011, 12:16 PM

kvg
02-27-2011, 12:20 PM
cool

Davetronz
02-27-2011, 02:41 PM