PDA

View Full Version : Which Photo editing software program?

Seahorsepower1
02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
1) Adobe Photoshop CS5
2) Adobe Lightroom 3
3) Adobe Elements 9

Now I have a Canon 60D as my camera body, I mainly take Landscape type of photos in RAW and Jpeg files. I will be using this program mainly for fixing tones/colors/contrast/brightness, converting to B&W, adding watermarks, adding a border, erasing unwanted objects.
I don't want to spend more than I have to but if I have to fork out 1K for CS5 then I guess it'll have to be. I also want to be able to print some of my pics one day if that helps. I just need some recommendations from beyonders that have used these programs mainly pros and cons from the experienced. I'm kinda looking towards one of these 3 programs and not any other recommendations as it can get into many more choices and headaches.

Thanks

Unknown303
02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Gimp

ex1z7
02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
wait ..

people pay for photoshop?

89coupe
02-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
wait ..

people pay for photoshop?

Honest, ethical people.

Mar
02-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't know why so many people pay for Photoshop when The GIMP is free.

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Photoshop is king if you shoot Canon.

Capture NX 2 + Photoshop if you shoot Nikon.

blitz
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Lightroom!

+ Silver Efex Pro for B&W Conversion.

Both are very intuitive, and Lightroom will help organize and catalog your photos as well.

ottamania
02-28-2011, 12:16 AM
I ve been working with CS5 and I am pretty happy with results. I want to try Lightroom as well.

Bowser
02-28-2011, 12:53 AM
I used lightroom for a while when I first started out. I ended up getting CS3 from a friend when they upgraded and I havn't used lightroom since.

Adobe also has a 30 trial download. That way you can see and compare the programs. This way you don't spend excessive amounts of money, if your not going to be using the features.

dirtsniffer
02-28-2011, 09:23 PM
wait people pay for photoshop?

ByTeMe
02-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Elements if you are new to graphics editing/don't want full control of your images.

Photoshop > Elements of course

Would definitely download the trial if I were you, especially if your going to pay for it.

Shax
03-01-2011, 12:29 AM
CS5 Photoshop

Got the CS5 Master Suite on a student price, it's nice because they allow 2 years commercial use with the software even though it's a student edition.

msommers
03-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Where did you pick up a student edition? I wouldn't mind getting in on that deal.

Shax
03-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Um direct from Adobe actually, they made me send in a student ID and went from there. I THINK there is another Canadian site that is qualified to sell the Adobe products at student price, I would have to look for it though.

The Pre-Order student price (the one I used) was 899.00 for the master suite, ridiculous savings.

edit
I didn't have to look. I had it bookmarked. The site was studica (http://www.studica.com/) and they have the master on for $ 892.95

msommers
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I just ordered on yesterday on Adobe and got a hell of a deal.

$302.xx USD w/ tax for CS5 Extended and Lightroom 3! I'm limited to one copy per but if someone is wanting legit copies and not for commercial use, I'd find a current full-time student willing to submit their info.

Kloubek
03-14-2011, 08:57 AM
You'll be happy with CS5 - it is a very good suite... though some people might find it a little imposing to learn on their own.

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2011, 09:23 AM
What is the commercial agreement like for CS5 on the student edition? If you sell even 1 photo ever, are you violating the agreement? How would they ever know? Is there an "upgrade to commercial" option if I ever started selling stuff?

Just curious. $300 is a good price for CS5 extended.

msommers
03-14-2011, 09:33 AM
CS5 extended alone was 200, lightroom 3 was 89. I'm not sure Mark, you should email them...I'm curious too now.

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by msommers
CS5 extended alone was 200, lightroom 3 was 89. I'm not sure Mark, you should email them...I'm curious too now.

Maybe I will. I'm not a student though - if they need anything from me verifying I'm a student it won't work anyways. I actually still have my student ID from last year with no expiry on it haha, so maybe it would work if they didn't require much proof. I'd probably pay $200 for a legit copy of CS5 extended though. I don't need light room as I believe CS5 does everything light room can.

Mr_John
03-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?

Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.
http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html

Sounds like the student edition is ok for commercial use as well. You can also install onto a maximum of two computers at a time.

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
It say $109 not $199 - am I missing something? For $109 I'd pick up a legit copy in a heartbeat.

And is that a reputable site? I've never seen it before.

Definitely going to pick it up for $109 if everything is legit.

EDIT: I'm having trouble finding reviews for that retailer - has anyone used them before, or can anyone find something that suggests they are legit?

msommers
03-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Where are you finding it for 109? Here is where I got it from...

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?&store=OLS-EDU#categoryOid=4529549&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/PhotoshopExtendedSTE&loc=en_us&store=OLS-EDU

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Where are you finding it for 109? Here is where I got it from...

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?&store=OLS-EDU#categoryOid=4529549&view=ols_prod&category=/Applications/PhotoshopExtendedSTE&loc=en_us&store=OLS-EDU

If you click Mr. John's link above, it doesn't come up at $199 like his post says, it says $109.90. I just can't figure out if it's legit or not.

I can't get the student edition because it requires a student ID with a date on it - mine isn't dated, and it's the closest thing I have to "proof" that I am a student.

msommers
03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Shit I should have checked there :rofl: Honestly though, I'd rather send my confidential info to Adobe than some other company I've never heard of.

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Shit I should have checked there :rofl: Honestly though, I'd rather send my confidential info to Adobe than some other company I've never heard of.

I don't think you need to send them anything other than a credit card number, as it makes no mention of being a student edition or anything.

I just don't know if it's legit or not, I've been looking around but I can't find much on it. I've been able to find people who are skeptical, and people who apparently bought Windows 7 from them with no issues. I'd like to find a bit more info on them though.

I'd rather buy from Adobe too, but if this is a non-student edition and for $100 cheaper, as long as it's legit I'll do it for sure. A non-restricted version of CS5 extended for $109 seems too good to be true, which is why I don't want to buy it from them without getting confirmation it's not a scam haha.

blitz
03-14-2011, 03:10 PM
How could it possibly be legit for $109?

Mitsu3000gt
03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I did some more snooping around and I don't think it's legit. There just isn't any info around on these guys. It may or may not work, but for $109 I'm not willing to take the chance.

Mr_John
03-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I did some more snooping around and I don't think it's legit. There just isn't any info around on these guys. It may or may not work, but for $109 I'm not willing to take the chance.

They promote that they are an Adobe partner, but are not listed as one on Adobe's website.

Sounds a bit sketchy, so I've edited and removed the link.

Mark: if you want, you can use my student id # from the New York Institute of Photography (had to use up my professional development money before the fiscal year end :) )

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Mr_John

They promote that they are an Adobe partner, but are not listed as one on Adobe's website.

Sounds a bit sketchy, so I've edited and removed the link.

Mark: if you want, you can use my student id # from the New York Institute of Photography (had to use up my professional development money before the fiscal year end :) )

That is a very generous offer but it just isn't a high priority for me right now. I just don't need to be spending money on that stuff right now haha, even though I want it. I need other things worse. Again, thanks for the offer.

msommers
03-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

That is a very generous offer but it just isn't a high priority for me right now. I just don't need to be spending money on that stuff right now haha, even though I want it. I need other things worse. Again, thanks for the offer.

Oh just buy it Mark, you know you eventually will anyways.

/pusherman

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Oh just buy it Mark, you know you eventually will anyways.

/pusherman

I was actually just thinking that my Mom is a teacher, so I could get her to buy it for me rather than use one of your guys' information to get the discount. I thought it was just for students, but it's not. At least there is no time limit on it now, because she won't be retiring for a few years haha.