PDA

View Full Version : Car plows through Critical Mass bike ride in Brazil

Pages : [1] 2

frizzlefry
02-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRgiIrHRoHM)

Car plows through them at the 50 second mark. Insane. Word is now that the guy driving the car had his son with him and got impatient and started honking. Some of the cyclists started hitting his car and yelling at him. His fight or flight response kicked in and he plowed through to get away from them.

I have had the misfortune of getting stuck in one of these Critical Mass rides in Calgary. The first time I was in front and they came from behind me on 12th Ave. I was at a red light and all the cyclists stopped and waited with me. No biggie I thought. I'm in front. But then just before the light turned green, they all ran the red light to get in front of me. So I was stuck. Two of them, intentionally, scraped the side of my new Audi with their hand brakes. I did not lash out as I was out numbered about 150 to one. So I had to suck it up and pay 500 bucks deductable to fix my car. I did try and ask the bike riders for their info and got swore at. The second time, they came from behind again while I was at a light...I knew better that time and turned right to get the hell out of their way. They are like bloody army ants.

That said, wow, I would never plow through people like this guy did. Totally tragic.

Anyone else here been caught in one of these? It sucks. Not for the time it adds to my drive but the potential for damage to my car. In the one I got stuck in, the cyclists made every effort to block cars and ran red lights to do so.

Tik-Tok
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
KRgiIrHRoHM

Antonito
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Critical Mass is a really good example of how to turn slight negative opinion of a subject into absolute irrational hatred, and makes me question whether most of the participants actually believe in what they say or are just in it to be real life trolls.

That said, the driver was wrong and no amount of damage to his car can justify what he did...even though it'd be damn tempting :poosie:

sputnik
02-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Critical Mass = Hippie Attention Whore Trolls

l/l/rX
02-28-2011, 12:45 PM
What is the point to this critical mass thing? God damn that is fucking annoying. They're not even attempting to go somewhat fast and just strolling taking up all lanes of the road.

edit: my answer is above...attention whore hippie trolls. gotcha.

Jeremiah
02-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Critical Mass = Hippie Attention Whore Trolls

No shit, fuck these selfish morons

SOAB
02-28-2011, 12:52 PM
sounds like these losers got what they deserve. :thumbsup:

protest all you want. don't inconveniece other people who don't give a shit about your cause.

sputnik
02-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I understand what they are _trying_ to do in raising awareness (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/23/18-awareness/) to ensure that cyclists can use the road in the same way that cars and trucks do.

However they are going about it the COMPLETELY wrong way.

If they want to be respected they need to rally and stay in a SINGLE lane. Slow traffic down, but still let it through.

However these trolls "pass" each other taking up other lanes and then crawl across other lanes to make left turns.

In turn they just make motorists angry and lose the respect of those capable of changing laws or roadways to better accommodate cyclists.

calgary403
02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

protest all you want. don't inconveniece other people who don't give a shit about your cause.

:werd:

Sugarphreak
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM

sputnik
02-28-2011, 01:26 PM
It was popular about 4-5 years ago.

Seems to have fizzled after they realized that they weren't really doing anything to help their cause.

Xtrema
02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
If there are any reason to use a snow plow in the summer, this would be it.

frizzlefry
02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
These guys don't deserve to be ran over but their whole mission statement is bullshit. They advocate sharing the road then go out of their way to block it.

SOAB
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
fuck with the bull, you get the horns.

getting run over is a risk you take if you jaywalk, ride a bike, or piss of an unstable driver.

rage2
02-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I witnessed these guys at a SF event one year, the bikers are pretty crazy, riding thru cars, slapping the roof and hood of cars, yelling at drivers. Definately real life trolls. I'd hate to be caught in the middle of one of these.

v2kai
02-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I witnessed these guys at a SF event one year, the bikers are pretty crazy, riding thru cars, slapping the roof and hood of cars, yelling at drivers. Definately real life trolls. I'd hate to be caught in the middle of one of these.

sure would be fun to have a heads up when one of these bike meets is goin down and we could have an unofficial beyond paintball meet in the same vicinity:thumbsup:

Tomaz
02-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I was stuck behind these guys in Vancouver last summer. I can say that the thought crossed my mind after a 2 hour wait, but to follow through with it like this guy? That's messed up.

core_upt
02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Critical Mass is a great message delivered in a terrible way, however, no one deserves to be run down on a street, protest or not.

M.alex
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
Critical Mass is a great message delivered in a terrible way, however, no one deserves to be run down on a street, protest or not.

Disagree. If I was on his jury I'd find him not guilty.

Murder - not guilty
Manslaughter - not guilty
Assault - not guilty

etc.. etc..

psycoticclown
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflicts_involving_Critical_Mass

Some pretty fucked up shit there, stories about women in minivans with 2 kids getting their cars destroyed and bikes thrown through their rear window. I dunno, if I was in that situation and had hundreds of angry cyclists yelling and destroying my car with my kids in it, I'd prolly end up gunning the engine too.

speedog
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
sure would be fun to have a heads up when one of these bike meets is goin down and we could have an unofficial beyond paintball meet in the same vicinity:thumbsup: Here ya go, v2kai, they meet every Friday at 5:30PM at Eau Claire Plaze (FB page (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14674164619)) - organize away. Also there is this Calgary cycling advocate web site (http://www.meetup.com/calgarybike/).

Anyhow, I've been an avid cyclist in the past that used to regularly commute on my bicycle and yet, I still would not support one of these events. I have to say that while I am considered a vehicle while cycling on public roadways, I was (and am still) quite cognizant of the fact that my vehicle afforded me very little protection and that my vehicle also should not be on certain roads. Yes, cyclists have a right to use the road, but not to be like the idiot that my 19 year old son saw going west bound on Glenmore Trail between Elbow and 14th Street this past Friday or like the idiot I saw this morning occupying the whole east bound snows/icy lane on east bound 24th Avenue NW east of Crowchild Trail this morning - there are most definitely wrong places to be when cycling.

Common sense needs to prevail when being a cyclist and these types of events often attract many cyclists including unfortunately those that don't necessarily want to exude common sense in even the smallest iotas.

thrasher22
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM

What the fuck is wrong with you? You're an even bigger asshole than the CM protesters

lilmira
02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
If you keep messing with someone elses' lives, eventually someone will snap, fair or not. It's called natural selection.

M.alex
02-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22

What the fuck is wrong with you? You're an even bigger asshole than the CM protesters

You need a reality check. They got exactly what they deserved. I'd find the car owner not-guilty.

max_boost
02-28-2011, 04:00 PM
lol I thought that was pretty funny.

core_upt
02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Murder - not guilty
Assault - not guilty

etc.. etc..

Murder? That'd be a stretch
Manslaughter - if some died, yes.
Assault - Definitely. Bicycles, regardless of how stupidly they are being driven, are entitled to be on the road as much as cars, so hitting someone who is in your way would be no different than intentionally ramming another car, which is a form of assault.

There are reports that the driver was threatened by cyclists, but even if true, running down a street full of them would no be in accordance with self defense.

Again, I think these types of CM rallies are stupid and self defeating, they only further polarize the issue, BUT, no one in the protest deserved to be plowed down by the driver.

In the same vein, no driver, entitled to be on a road, deserves to be threatened or have their car vandalized.

Tomaz
02-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Murder - not guilty
Assault - not guilty

etc.. etc..

Public Endangerment
Dangerous Driving
Attempted Manslaughter
Assault with a weapon
Assault causing bodily harm
Careless Driving
Leaving the scene of a collision

The list goes on, plus the multiple counts of each.

(Apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge in law)

frizzlefry
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

In the same vein, no driver, entitled to be on a road, deserves to be threatened or have their car vandalized.

Exactly. Issue is that when people in these things get aggressive, the drivers are greatly outnumbered. The car is the equalizer. I don't advocate plowing through them but if they damage your car, as they did to me, you have no recourse. They are not likely to say "Oh gee, sorry about that. Here is my phone number. Please get that fixed and I'll pay for it." Aggressive CMers can pretty much vent their tree-rage on innocent people's cars without fear of being caught. You try to get their info and they take off or you have 15 cyclists yelling you and further damaging your car. The guy in the video was obviously experiencing a flight or fight emotion and, well, chose to do both.

M.alex
02-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Public Endangerment
Dangerous Driving
Attempted Manslaughter
Assault with a weapon
Careless Driving

Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty

etc....

I just put myself in that person's shoes - if a bunch of crazies are damaging my car and threatening to assault me, you better believe I'm going to plow over them to get away and I won't be sticking around so their friends can assault me.

SOAB
02-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22

this is the real world. asshole or not, you can't provoke a bunch of people and not expect some sort of reaction.

like i said, protest all you want. don't inconvenience me with your shit or force me to listen to it and then threaten me when i tell you to leave me alone.

what would you do to those pro-life protesters that were at the U of C if they stopped you when you walked past and wouldn't let you leave? they surround your ass and threaten to harm you if you leave?

Sugarphreak
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM

ZenOps
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Reminds me of Tiananenmen Square where the tanks being blocked by protestors.

But in that case, protestors weren't even moving. Its like - I dare you to run over me. Thats for sure 100% chance of fatality, this is just 100% chance of intentional bodily harm to a few dozen people with a chance of fatality.

Wow, you guys are tough. Slight inconvenience that you might be half a hour late for the hockey game - and you would risk killing someone? What - were you raised by Rob Anders?

CMW403
02-28-2011, 04:59 PM

I just put myself in that person's shoes - if a bunch of crazies are damaging my car and threatening to assault me, you better believe I'm going to plow over them to get away and I won't be sticking around so their friends can assault me.

Exactly. These hippies got what they deserved.

He should have thrown it in reverse and finished the job.

yellowsnow
02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
lol, beyond :rofl: everyone's a murderer

calgary403
02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

He should have thrown it in reverse and finished the job.

:clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

frizzlefry
02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Wow, you guys are tough. Slight inconvenience that you might be half a hour late for the hockey game - and you would risk killing someone? What - were you raised by Rob Anders?

It’s not the being late for anything that’s the issue. It’s the violence and vandalism to your car if you dare honk or ask to be allowed to pass. Bicycles are considered vehicles right? Well what if there were a group of bikers on motorcycles (also vehicles) who wanted to express their right to share the road and blocked drivers from passing? You honk and the big bikers start smashing your car. The bikers would be called a gang of thugs and would be arrested, and everyone would applaud their arrest. Try to arrest a CM cyclist and they scream oppression from the "man" and how they are poor victims but in reality they are a gang. Pure and simple.

max_boost
02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
So did they get a plate? Other than it was a black golf?

CMW403
02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
So did they get a plate? Other than it was a black golf?

End of the video says they later found the car abandoned. It would have looked a little better if he just turned himself in, IMO.

Pretty ironic how they ride through the city provoking people in cars with vandalism, yet when somebody reacts "OHHHH LORD HOW COULD ANYONE DO SUCH A THING CALL THE POLICE! WAAAAAAMBULANCE!"

I come from a family of avid road cyclists and each and every one of them saw this video and shook their head. At the cyclists.

ZenOps
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry

It’s not the being late for anything that’s the issue. It’s the violence and vandalism to your car if you dare honk or ask to be allowed to pass. Bicycles are considered vehicles right? Well what if there were a group of bikers on motorcycles (also vehicles) who wanted to express their right to share the road and blocked drivers from passing? You honk and the big bikers start smashing your car. The bikers would be called a gang of thugs and would be arrested, and everyone would applaud their arrest. Try to arrest a CM cyclist and they scream oppression from the "man" and how they are poor victims but in reality they are a gang. Pure and simple.

I saw plenty of cross traffic in the video. The car could have simply stopped completely and taken a turn onto another street.

The assumption that his car was somehow vandalized - is a huge assumption. Some people just get really really angry when they are slightly inconvenienced.

Its like that "Just for laughs" outtake where the guy fumbles around with different credit cards, money, change, etc... Holding up the line for a convenience checkout with all sorts of absurd diversions. Eventually the guy behind him just punched him in the face. It was supposed to be funny, but ended up being tragic.

Seems to only be men and women, no children thankfully. If there was a kid or a pregnant woman, you can be sure it would have hit international news by now.

chkolny541
02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
^^
link? i tried to search but came up emtpy

psycoticclown
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
There have been cases where those CM retards have put thousands of dollars worth of damages on other vehicles and also cases where drivers have been pulled out of their cars and beaten. What would you guys do in that situation if you have hundreds of bikers banging on your hood and roof and threating you. Fuck, my buddy hit the roof of my rental car once and that resulted in a tiny dent that costed me $400.

Near the end of the ride, near the Japan Center and Western Addition neighborhoods, a resident of Redwood City, California tried to drive through the mass of riders. A witness claimed to have observed the driver strike a cyclist and flee before cyclists chased and surrounded her vehicle.[30][31] The driver denied striking a cyclist and alleged that hundreds of cyclists surrounded her minivan while she and her 11- and 13-year old daughters were inside, banged on her car, scratched the paint, and threw a bicycle through the rear window of the vehicle, causing $5,300 in damage.

On the night of the July 25, 1997 ride 5000 riders participated in the ride which resulted in congested traffic, confrontations with motorists, and arrests. Interest and tension had been growing for several weeks due to increased rhetoric from then-Mayor Willie Brown in regards to cracking down on the event. The local newspapers published a city-approved route after the mayor withdrew his threat to have bicyclists arrested for not obtaining a parade permit. Most of the participants ignored the route and separated into several groups. Verbal and physical altercations occurred between motorists and bicyclists as well as between riders and police. Two officers reported injuries in confrontations with bike riders. Local media reported "about 250" bicyclists being arrested for moving violations, being drunk in public, battery, and outstanding warrants.[24][25]

Two riders were arrested during the June 2006 ride in Seattle, Washington after a fight with two undercover detectives whom the bikers confused for gang members.[39] Witnesses dispute the Sheriff's Office claim that the detectives identified themselves.[40] The King County Sheriff's office decided not to press felony charges in the case, saying there were too many issues over the circumstances surrounding the allegations.[41]

On July 25, 2008 Critical Mass prevented a motorist from driving from a curbside parking space into cyclists[42] in Seattle's Critical Mass on East Aloha. The motorist made statements to Seattle Police that he drove away, hitting riders and bicycles,[43][44] and told the press that he "freaked out and overreacted" when bicyclists threatened to tip his vehicle.[45] According to some witnesses, the motorist drove into at least two cyclists and tried to flee.[46]
A group of riders caught the vehicle, broke its rear windshield, slashed the tires, and assaulted the motorist when he got out. Damage to the car was estimated at $1500.[43][46] The motorist was struck in the back of his head by a bike lock[45] and later hospitalized.[47] Two cyclists were arrested for vandalism to the car. Seattle Police did not charge the motorist.[48]

They're fucking shitty ass cry baby hippies imo.

elesdee
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
I am a cyclist through and through and I fully disagree with Critical Mass.

Cyclists have the right to use the road, but they also have the obligation to follow the rules. So this kind of mob behaviour is illegal, and I am all for cracking down on it.

I have participated in a similar event here in Calgary a couple of years ago. It was much much smaller, around 60 people.

We rode downtown streets directionlessly and carelessly. I did not enjoy the experience and felt like a dick when we were blocking cars.

This kind of mob behaviour leads to no good. People lose all sense of accountability and it becomes easy to start slapping cars and yelling at drivers.

It has already been said: Critical Mass makes it harder for legit bike commuters. Drivers already hate cyclists.

So... obviously what the driver did is illegal. But is it immoral?

I think he should be let off with a slap on the wrist to set a precedent for this Critical Mass BS.

If he gets nailed hard by the law it will only encourage irresponsible cycling behavour.

Super_Geo
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by elesdee
I am a cyclist through and through and I fully disagree with Critical Mass.

Cyclists have the right to use the road, but they also have the obligation to follow the rules. So this kind of mob behaviour is illegal, and I am all for cracking down on it.

I have participated in a similar event here in Calgary a couple of years ago. It was much much smaller, around 60 people.

We rode downtown streets directionlessly and carelessly. I did not enjoy the experience and felt like a dick when we were blocking cars.

This kind of mob behaviour leads to no good. People lose all sense of accountability and it becomes easy to start slapping cars and yelling at drivers.

It has already been said: Critical Mass makes it harder for legit bike commuters. Drivers already hate cyclists.

So... obviously what the driver did is illegal. But is it immoral?

I think he should be let off with a slap on the wrist to set a precedent for this Critical Mass BS.

If he gets nailed hard by the law it will only encourage irresponsible cycling behavour.

I ride the shit out of my road bike during the summer months and I agree with everything you said.

Grogador
02-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Just gonna bypass this whole CM fiasco as it's supreme mob idiocy and rage by all parties involved, however:

Drivers already hate cyclists.

That right there is the heart of the issue, and I gotta ask WHY? Is the 30secs of slowing down and/or going around me really that big of a deal? Do you really have that much pent up anger, and my cycling is enough to make it bubble to the surface? Anyone who's commute takes them onto the streets will have stories of rage or even assault. I'm talking respectful, law-abiding, reasonable riding on roads under 50km/h with plenty of space. I dun get it yo.

iceburns288
02-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Seems to only be men and women, no children thankfully. If there was a kid or a pregnant woman, you can be sure it would have hit international news by now.
1) Pregnant women riding with Critical Mass?:rofl:
2) You're in Brasil?

slinkie
02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
as a hipster with a bike-networth of over $4k I support this driver :thumbsup: Cyclists can really get on my nerves when driving or even walking.

ZenOps
02-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

1) Pregnant women riding with Critical Mass?:rofl:
2) You're in Brasil?

Maybe not 8-month, but women do ride. Its critical mass, not the tour de france. I've seen people use the side by side bike that they usually reserve for those swan paddleboats.

Besides, just because you have a large vehicle, does not mean you can do whatever you want with it.

Heck, I could roll over Rob Anders house with a tank right now.

Toma
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
LOL....

Depends on what I was driving, and their attitude.

I am NEVER a first strike guy.

But thanks for the heads up, if I am driving something nice, if I see a mob of cyclists, I'll just get out of the way.

If I am driving a junk heap, I'll see what their attitude is like, and if they start being dicks, damaging my car, threatening me, yeah, some cyclists are gonna get run over.

jsn
02-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Fuck critical mass. I hate hippie protesters. Reminds me of the pro-lifers at the U of C who try to approach you.

calgarydub
03-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Looked exactly how I would have imagined it.

That is a nice mk5 GTI, hope the car is okay.

FraserB
03-01-2011, 02:28 AM
1. Find stick
2. Put stick in spokes of douchebike
3.???
4. Profit.

HiTempguy1
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
1. Find stick
2. Put stick in spokes of douchebike
3.???
4. Profit.

1. See critical mass a-holes approaching
2. Unlock door (if in newer vehicle)
3. Open door when douche knobs try to ride past your stopped vehicle
4. Sue them for damages to your vehicle (as they hit you, same as if someone takes your door out on the highway if you are pulled over and it is open).
5. ???
6. Profit!

sputnik
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

1. See critical mass a-holes approaching
2. Unlock door (if in newer vehicle)
3. Open door when douche knobs try to ride past your stopped vehicle
4. Sue them for damages to your vehicle (as they hit you, same as if someone takes your door out on the highway if you are pulled over and it is open).
5. ???
6. Profit!

Won't work.

If you open your door and someone hits it, you are at fault.

Tomaz
03-01-2011, 11:27 AM

Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty
Not guilty

etc....

That is assuming that the driver could prove that the cyclists were threatening his life. That is the ONLY way he would not be proven guilty, an would still be charged with some of the offenses I listed.

The other side was if he was trying to get away from a select few vandals threatening him, the car still plowed through a bunch of other people who were likely not involved. How many of those cyclists were swarming the guys car? There were a lot of innocent people harmed that couldn't have possibly been involved. What would be a good ratio of vandals to innocents given the video provided? what would be an acceptable number collateral damage for self-preservation?

Now don't get me wrong, I would probably do something similar if my life was threatened, I am just stating the likely outcome if put to trial in a court of law. The driver being "not guilty" is a very unlikely outcome unless there is very compelling evidence that we are unaware of. Given the little information we have, I could not see how harming 40 innocent ppl to get away from a few vandals be justified.

Now, back to the cyclist bashing!!! :D

I need to plan ahead for making re-bar and hockey sticks to celebrate this year's critical mass in calgary. :angel:

You know, just in case :poosie:

thrasher22
03-01-2011, 11:32 AM

this is the real world. asshole or not, you can't provoke a bunch of people and not expect some sort of reaction.

like i said, protest all you want. don't inconvenience me with your shit or force me to listen to it and then threaten me when i tell you to leave me alone.

what would you do to those pro-life protesters that were at the U of C if they stopped you when you walked past and wouldn't let you leave? they surround your ass and threaten to harm you if you leave?

I wouldn't ram into them with my car? Punching someone in the face vs vehicular manslaughter are faiiiirly different levels of escalation.

Given the amount of guns I saw in Brazil, I'm actually surprised no one got shot.

MrSector9
03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
For me I hate ignorant asshole cyclists, as above, the vehicles are expected to move over to clear cyclists, however I know I have seen an assload of cyclists that will not move over for the car to also have room. I have had cyclists stay in the tire groove (whiteline side) and refuse to move over even when there is nothing beside them with the exception of the sidewalk 10 feet away.

That being said I have had lots of cyclists that have done this, i move over to the yellow, they move closer to the white, no one is impeded, no one is in danger.

Critical Mass like stated is just mob mentality, no different then the groups that "strung" people up throughout history, no one feels they should be held accountable since "everyone was doing it"

frizzlefry
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Thing that pisses me off is that the CM riders assume that everyone in a car is an ass. Me, I have no problem with sharing the road with bikes. I have never had a non-CM incident with a cyclist and I only drive my car for leisure, about a tank of gas a month. So I'm not a big polluter either. I drive a fuel effeciant car, at the time I was surrounded and my car damaged I was in a small hatchback. I did not act aggressively at all. The CM riders, without knowing a damn thing about me, went out of their way to cause me frustration (running red lights to get in front of me). Thing that blew my mind was there were parents with their kids in a child seat on the bike with them and they too were running red lights to piss off motorists. One almost hit a pedestrian. That shows their mentality right there....running red lights with your kid on the bike.

Like I said, legally and technically, they are a gang and should be treated as such.

Kennyredline
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM

You need a reality check. They got exactly what they deserved. I'd find the car owner not-guilty.

protest all you want. don't inconveniece other people who don't give a shit about your cause. [/B][/QUOTE]

You guys are fucking assholes. I hope you cut someone off one day and they beat you to a pulp with an iron pipe, because they believe you got exactly what you deserve.

Critical Mass is not a protest, it's a promotion of cycling, and if you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd know that cyclists are considered motor vehicles, and have as much right to the roadway as cars do.

I bet neither one of you guys have the balls to even say anything to a cyclist, let alone do what this psycho did.

Xtrema
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd know that cyclists are considered motor vehicles, and have as much right to the roadway as cars do.

I have no problem with that as long as they obey stop signs, stop switching from road to sidewalk at will, and bikers carry at least PLPD insurance.

That's all I ask for.

Especially the insurance part. The should be off the road until that's addressed. What's give them the right to use the road without being properly insured?

frizzlefry
03-01-2011, 03:13 PM

You guys are fucking assholes. I hope you cut someone off one day and they beat you to a pulp with an iron pipe, because they believe you got exactly what you deserve.

Critical Mass is not a protest, it's a promotion of cycling, and if you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd know that cyclists are considered motor vehicles, and have as much right to the roadway as cars do.

I bet neither one of you guys have the balls to even say anything to a cyclist, let alone do what this psycho did. [/B][/QUOTE]

From a City of Calgary traffic tips guidebook:
"Cyclists are required to ride as close as practicable to the curb..."

Clogging up traffic en mass is not riding close to the curb.

"Ride single file except when overtaking/passing another bicycle."

Again, clogging up traffic is not riding single file.

"A cyclist riding their bicycle is considered by law to be a vehicle."

Which means no running red lights in order to get in front of cars so you can force them ride slowly behind you while you do not ride close to the curb as required.

CM is not, in any way, about raising awareness. Its about pissing people off. In the event I am driving and come across a single cyclist behaving badly (usually couriers), you are right. I am unlikely to say anything as they are generally unstable and I would prefer my car not be vandelized for simply pointing out the rules of the road which CMers seem to think they don't need to listen to.

kvg
03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
CM is such BS. I cycle commute in the warmer months and I have never had one problem with any drivers. I ride in the curb lane as much as possible and show respect for driver and they have done the same. Shit like CM is such a stupid idea. Me on my 13lb road bike doesn't stand a chance against any car, so why try to piss off drivers.

happy tree
03-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I have always wondered why bicycles don't have to be insured and registered to use the road. Maybe its time, I would definitely give them more respect if they did. Plus you could get a plate number when they damage your car as you're running them over.

psycoticclown
03-01-2011, 04:25 PM

I bet neither one of you guys have the balls to even say anything to a cyclist, let alone do what this psycho did.

You're fucking retarded. There have been tons of cases involving CM riders deliberately breaking the rules of the road just to piss off drivers, numerous cases where vehicles have been damaged, not just isolated incidents. Even in this forum alone, many have witnessed bikers running red lights and damaging their cars just because they are a motorist.

And yes, bikes do have as much of a right to be on the road as a motorist does, I don't have a problem with that. It's when bikers think they are ABOVE the law and start running redlights, deliberately clogging up traffic and in general just pissing off motorist is where the problem lies. It's not a promotion of cycling if they do that. A promotion is supposed to get the general public to support your cause, antagonizing motorists purposely does not help your cause.

Also, there have been cases where motorists have been threatened, had their cars damaged and in order to escape, they hit some cyclists and guess what, charges are NOT laid and instead, the cyclists are charged. What does that tell you???

oupzwrongthread
03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

Also, there have been cases where motorists have been threatened, had their cars damaged and in order to escape, they hit some cyclists and guess what, charges are NOT laid and instead, the cyclists are charged. What does that tell you???

Source?

I dare yah to hit a biker - Double dare.

Graham_A_M
03-01-2011, 04:57 PM

And yes, bikes do have as much of a right to be on the road as a motorist does, I don't have a problem with that. It's when bikers think they are ABOVE the law and start running redlights, deliberately clogging up traffic and in general just pissing off motorist is where the problem lies. It's not a promotion of cycling if they do that. A promotion is supposed to get the general public to support your cause, antagonizing motorists purposely does not help your cause.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

This is a good way to create more tension between cyclists and motor traffic than there already is... REAL advocacy should be promoting how we can co-exist.

Personally I'd like to see dedicated bike lanes put in, I think they would help a lot.

:clap: :thumbsup:

I had no idea about these CM get togethers. Who knew stupidity could be shared by SO many people at one given time. At first that video appalled me, until I found out what these little rides are for.
Makes perfect sense now.

:thumbsup:

frizzlefry
03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by oupzwrongthread

And that right there is pretty much the point of CM.

M.alex
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Would I mouth off to a group of vigillante cyclists - nope.

However, if they start pounding on my car and threatening me, you better damn well belive I'll run all their asses over - men, women, and children - to get out of there.

Mar
03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Public Endangerment
Dangerous Driving
Attempted Manslaughter
Assault with a weapon
Careless Driving

Attempted manslaughter is called murder.

89s1
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Attempted manslaughter is called murder.

Ummmmmmmmm no?

psycoticclown
03-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Source?

Here is your source:

On July 25, 2008 Critical Mass prevented a motorist from driving from a curbside parking space into cyclists[42] in Seattle's Critical Mass on East Aloha. The motorist made statements to Seattle Police that he drove away, hitting riders and bicycles,[43][44] and told the press that he "freaked out and overreacted" when bicyclists threatened to tip his vehicle.[45] According to some witnesses, the motorist drove into at least two cyclists and tried to flee.[46]
A group of riders caught the vehicle, broke its rear windshield, slashed the tires, and assaulted the motorist when he got out. Damage to the car was estimated at $1500.[43][46] The motorist was struck in the back of his head by a bike lock[45] and later hospitalized.[47] Two cyclists were arrested for vandalism to the car. Seattle Police did not charge the motorist.[48]

slinkie
03-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Worked as a courier last summer and I constantly call out cyclists (well the hip ones not like 25+ ones). If they have no brake I demand they "do a barspin yo".

Was driving in my beater (corolla coupe) on 17th and said "nice ride man" to some hipster on a fixie struggling in the slush, he disdainfully said "its worth more than your car". Probably true but who's got heat four seats and a trunk? :rofl: I own a lot of nice bikes including two fixed-gears :drama: but I'm so tired of the whole superior mentality of young cyclists, and I think everyone hating on the cyclists in this thread agrees with me.

Kennyredline
03-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Here is your source:

No, YOU'RE a fucking asshole.
You have ONE example, of a driver that really had NO REASON to do what he did, and he got the shit beaten out of him for it.
Are you going to mow people down during the Stampede Parade this year, to justify your stupid comment?

PD77
03-01-2011, 06:58 PM

You have ONE example, of a driver that really had NO REASON to do what he did, and he got the shit beaten out of him for it.
Are you going to mow people down during the Stampede Parade this year, to justify your stupid comment?

You asked for a source, he gave it to you, and you come back with "Well that's only ONE example". I didn't realize that a source had to include multiple instances in order to qualify as true.

:facepalm:

CMW403
03-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Source?

You got it. I'll PM you my info and you scratch my car with your handbrake.

YES because the STAMPEDE parade is KNOWN for vandalizing CARS and threatening MOTORISTS. We're CAPITALIZING random WORDS to show how SERIOUS we are.

psycoticclown
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Hey idiot, go read my other post that I had, infact, I'll repost it just so you can read it again.

Near the end of the ride, near the Japan Center and Western Addition neighborhoods, a resident of Redwood City, California tried to drive through the mass of riders. A witness claimed to have observed the driver strike a cyclist and flee before cyclists chased and surrounded her vehicle.[30][31] The driver denied striking a cyclist and alleged that hundreds of cyclists surrounded her minivan while she and her 11- and 13-year old daughters were inside, banged on her car, scratched the paint, and threw a bicycle through the rear window of the vehicle, causing $5,300 in damage.

On the night of the July 25, 1997 ride 5000 riders participated in the ride which resulted in congested traffic, confrontations with motorists, and arrests. Interest and tension had been growing for several weeks due to increased rhetoric from then-Mayor Willie Brown in regards to cracking down on the event. The local newspapers published a city-approved route after the mayor withdrew his threat to have bicyclists arrested for not obtaining a parade permit. Most of the participants ignored the route and separated into several groups. Verbal and physical altercations occurred between motorists and bicyclists as well as between riders and police. Two officers reported injuries in confrontations with bike riders. Local media reported "about 250" bicyclists being arrested for moving violations, being drunk in public, battery, and outstanding warrants.[24][25]

Two riders were arrested during the June 2006 ride in Seattle, Washington after a fight with two undercover detectives whom the bikers confused for gang members.[39] Witnesses dispute the Sheriff's Office claim that the detectives identified themselves.[40] The King County Sheriff's office decided not to press felony charges in the case, saying there were too many issues over the circumstances surrounding the allegations.[41]

On the March 2007 ride in San Francisco, a rider was arrested on felony (later reduced to misdemeanor) charges in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood for denting a limousine using a bicycle lock. The driver told police he got out of his car to talk to two cyclists who allegedly blocked his path. After exchanging words with one, the driver said he grabbed one of the bikes and tried to pull it out of the way. He then got back into his limo to go round the riders. Before he could move, he said, another cyclist smacked into the side of his car, then punched the hood with a U-shaped lock. The cyclist told police he only hit the limousine after the driver gunned his engine. During the incident, one of its tires was slashed and the driver's keys were stolen.[29]

In November 2009, Stanley Roberts of KRON 4 News recorded several Critical Mass confrontations between bicyclists and vehicles at Van Ness and Ofarrell Streets. Noting an old Critical Mass website, riders are advised not to be confrontational and block traffic, but in footage filmed by Roberts, bicyclists engaged in confrontational arguments with motorists and blocked roads to vehicular traffic.[34]

On the August 31, 2007 ride in Minneapolis, a confrontation occurred between cyclists and the police. The police presence included undercover officers, three marked squad cars, a state patrol helicopter, and unmarked vehicles. The ride had been linked with weekend protests of the following year's Republican National Convention. After the arrest of a cyclist for "riding in a snake-like manner," cyclists began chanting "let him go" and "what's the charge?" The police called for help, and dozens of police officers responded, using chemical mace, and tazers. Minneapolis police arrested 19 participants, including three minors. The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross misdemeanor.[49][50]

Chicago Police Department officers are often seen riding with the Critical Mass and squad cars block intersections to provide safe passage Critical Mass rides. However, on August 31, 2007, seven riders were arrested on charges of obstructing traffic and disobeying police. The seven were held overnight. According to some of those arrested, they were released at late night/early morning. On multiple occasions, Critical Mass has attempted to ride on Lake Shore Drive, a road that is normally off limits to cyclists. Police will not tolerate participants riding on Lake Shore Drive, and will go as far as blocking entrance ramps with squad cars whenever Critical Mass rides approach the lake.[51]

That's not just one source, thats numerous documented incidents of their shitty behavior. I can guarantee that there are hundreds of unreported incidents if not thousands. Just on this forum alone, numerous members have had their cars vandalized or harassed.

And why the fuck would I mow down people at Stampede, just cause there is a parade doesn't mean that they automatically start smashing cars and shit. If there was a riot at during Stampede and people were hitting my car, HELL YEA I would mow them the fuck down. Why do cyclists get special treatment just because they are creating "awareness".

kvg
03-01-2011, 07:42 PM

WOW!:facepalm:

Kennyredline
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Hey idiot, go read my other post that I had, infact, I'll repost it just so you can read it again.

On the March 2007 ride in San Francisco, a rider was arrested on felony (later reduced to misdemeanor) charges in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood for denting a limousine using a bicycle lock. The driver told police he got out of his car to talk to two cyclists who allegedly blocked his path. After exchanging words with one, the driver said he grabbed one of the bikes and tried to pull it out of the way. He then got back into his limo to go round the riders. Before he could move, he said, another cyclist smacked into the side of his car, then punched the hood with a U-shaped lock. The cyclist told police he only hit the limousine after the driver gunned his engine. During the incident, one of its tires was slashed and the driver's keys were stolen.[29]

In November 2009, Stanley Roberts of KRON 4 News recorded several Critical Mass confrontations between bicyclists and vehicles at Van Ness and Ofarrell Streets. Noting an old Critical Mass website, riders are advised not to be confrontational and block traffic, but in footage filmed by Roberts, bicyclists engaged in confrontational arguments with motorists and blocked roads to vehicular traffic.[34]

On the August 31, 2007 ride in Minneapolis, a confrontation occurred between cyclists and the police. The police presence included undercover officers, three marked squad cars, a state patrol helicopter, and unmarked vehicles. The ride had been linked with weekend protests of the following year's Republican National Convention. After the arrest of a cyclist for "riding in a snake-like manner," cyclists began chanting "let him go" and "what's the charge?" The police called for help, and dozens of police officers responded, using chemical mace, and tazers. Minneapolis police arrested 19 participants, including three minors. The adults were arrested on suspicion of rioting, a gross misdemeanor.[49][50]

Chicago Police Department officers are often seen riding with the Critical Mass and squad cars block intersections to provide safe passage Critical Mass rides. However, on August 31, 2007, seven riders were arrested on charges of obstructing traffic and disobeying police. The seven were held overnight. According to some of those arrested, they were released at late night/early morning. On multiple occasions, Critical Mass has attempted to ride on Lake Shore Drive, a road that is normally off limits to cyclists. Police will not tolerate participants riding on Lake Shore Drive, and will go as far as blocking entrance ramps with squad cars whenever Critical Mass rides approach the lake.[51]

That's not just one source, thats numerous documented incidents of their shitty behavior. I can guarantee that there are hundreds of unreported incidents if not thousands. Just on this forum alone, numerous members have had their cars vandalized or harassed.

And why the fuck would I mow down people at Stampede, just cause there is a parade doesn't mean that they automatically start smashing cars and shit. If there was a riot at during Stampede and people were hitting my car, HELL YEA I would mow them the fuck down. Why do cyclists get special treatment just because they are creating "awareness".

Wow, look at you...how much time did you spend researching all this and making your posts? You're obviously enthusiastic in your hatred for cyclists. The scary thing is, how many of the posts in this thread actually condone what that driver did. To wish (potential) death on another person for something as trivial as this, buddy, you live up to your user name.

icky2unk
03-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Wow, look at you...how much time did you spend researching all this and making your posts? You're obviously enthusiastic in your hatred for cyclists. The scary thing is, how many of the posts in this thread actually condone what that driver did. To wish (potential) death on another person for something as trivial as this, buddy, you live up to your user name.

Wikipedia maybe? Dunno why you getting mad at someone who backs up their case with facts rather then a bunch of yelling.

He makes good points. Was it necessary, not from what I can see. If they were seriously threatening him and there was a danger, i'd try and get out too. Maybe reverse would have been a better option but nonetheless. Protect self.

PD77
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM

He gives you one and you bitch, he gives you ten and you bitch...what's it going to take to make you fuckin cyclists happy? :rofl:

psycoticclown
03-01-2011, 08:44 PM

5 minutes buddy ;)

jsn
03-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Kenny, you look like the asshole here. Holy shit buddy. You ask him to give you some evidence and when he gives it to you, you bash him for hating cyclists. You wanted evidence, he found it.

CM is NOT just about raising awareness for cyclists. You condone their actions when they actively set out to disobey traffic rules and vandalize private property in the process? :rolleyes:

kvg
03-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by PD77

what's it going to take to make you fuckin cyclists happy? :rofl:

As this thread has shown the majority of cyclists on here don't agree with critical mass bs.:thumbsup:

PD77
03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by kvg

As this thread has shown the majority of cyclists on here don't agree with critical mass bs.:thumbsup:

I know, it was directed at McDouche...I shouldn't have dragged in the sensible folks with the bat-shit crazy one.

kvg
03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
^thanks

Kennyredline
03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by jsn
Kenny, you look like the asshole here. Holy shit buddy. You ask him to give you some evidence and when he gives it to you, you bash him for hating cyclists. You wanted evidence, he found it.

CM is NOT just about raising awareness for cyclists. You condone their actions when they actively set out to disobey traffic rules and vandalize private property in the process? :rolleyes:

Holy fuck you guys are myopic. Ya, he gave evidence, a ton of it, totally unrelated to the video that started this thread. Has anyone been able to come up with evidence that the driver in this video was reacting to his property being damaged; was he provoked at all? It looks to me like he just hated cyclists.
Quote ANYTHING i said that shows I condone property damage or uttering threats, or taunting drivers. My first post was an appalled reaction to others in this thread stating their beliefs that mowing down a group of cyclists doing nothing more than riding down a street is acceptable behavior. As usual on Beyond, the name-calling; ( I've been called a fucking retard, an idiot, an asshole in this thread) because I don't think running down defenseless cyclists is cool.
I'm an avid cyclist, and I've ridden in to work every day this week; do I ride respectfully? Yup. Have I ever taken part in a Critical Mass? Nope. Will I have my head on a swivel tomorrow on my way to work? You fucking bet; I know some of you work downtown.

kvg
03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Kennyredline I agree the guy who ran down these guy had no reason to do so unless he felt his life was in serious danger. I doubt anyone on here would run anyone down, but if another cyclist damaged my car I would do something about it.

rob the knob
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
the guy who ran over the people has changed his own life forever as well. we dont know if he really fear for his life or just get very angry for being delayed. unless his is a sociopath and has no remorse then he will be thinking about this for long time and therapy too. add in the legal headaches and publicity for him and family. it probably would be easier to get some dents fixed on his car than what he face now for rest of his life.

elesdee
03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Here is a short clip of what happened immediately before the driver stepped on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beRAUL6R0EM

Super_Geo
03-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Here is a short clip of what happened immediately before the driver stepped on it.

It looks like those faggots were actually egging him on and mockingly waving to have him pass... :rofl:

slinkie
03-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow, they are just surrounding him with the sole intention of antagonizing him, was probably the "last straw" in his really bad day or something

Xtrema
03-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm an avid cyclist, and I've ridden in to work every day this week; do I ride respectfully? Yup. Have I ever taken part in a Critical Mass? Nope. Will I have my head on a swivel tomorrow on my way to work? You fucking bet; I know some of you work downtown.

It is a car forum after all where people are a bit more passionate about cars.

CM doesn't promote anything but hatred of cyclist.

If they do a proper parade with policy escort, I don't think anyone would have problem it. Or if you don't, ask members to take no more than 50% of the road.

Doing what CM member did/do in that video and other people who encounter CM trolls who damages properties, there's no defending that type of gathering. In my mind, it's no different that KKK rally but just replace hatred for minority with cars.

And if you see the video above, not the one that selectively cut by CM, they taunted the guy, touched his car and probably some threatening gestures (mob mentality). I don't blame human nature taking over and mowing them down. I don't condone it but I can't honestly say I didn't enjoy watching it either.

CMW403
03-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Holy fuck you guys are myopic. Ya, he gave evidence, a ton of it, totally unrelated to the video that started this thread. Has anyone been able to come up with evidence that the driver in this video was reacting to his property being damaged; was he provoked at all? It looks to me like he just hated cyclists.
Quote ANYTHING i said that shows I condone property damage or uttering threats, or taunting drivers. My first post was an appalled reaction to others in this thread stating their beliefs that mowing down a group of cyclists doing nothing more than riding down a street is acceptable behavior. As usual on Beyond, the name-calling; ( I've been called a fucking retard, an idiot, an asshole in this thread) because I don't think running down defenseless cyclists is cool.

Dur? All of that evidence is directly related to the video...

Kennyredline
03-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Doing what CM member did/do in that video and other people who encounter CM trolls who damages properties, there's no defending that type of gathering. In my mind, it's no different that KKK rally but just replace hatred for minority with cars.
I don't condone it but I can't honestly say I didn't enjoy watching it either.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gWQaU40PH24/TPHXVdgA4iI/AAAAAAAAJ0U/sneR_y4SL_g/s1600/facepalm_jim_76437.jpg

frizzlefry
03-01-2011, 11:55 PM

Well, had it been "immediately" before the driver stepped on it there would have been great footage of the car taking off, and hitting the person recording. But, no. It was abruptly cut off and edited. One thing is for sure, the cyclists were sure allowing him to share the road. :nut:

jsn
03-02-2011, 12:38 AM

Holy fuck you guys are myopic. Ya, he gave evidence, a ton of it, totally unrelated to the video that started this thread. Has anyone been able to come up with evidence that the driver in this video was reacting to his property being damaged; was he provoked at all?

The second video posted, although it does not show property damage, clearly shows them provoking him. They completely surrounded his car and did not allow him to pass. I'm sure he felt threatened as many of us probably would if we were found in that situation.

Toma
03-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by jsn

The second video posted, although it does not show property damage, clearly shows them provoking him. They completely surrounded his car and did not allow him to pass. I'm sure he felt threatened as many of us probably would if we were found in that situation.

Yeah, mob mentality, and "swarming" is very powerful on the human psyche. It's like backing a cowering dog into a corner....

I am interested how the judge will rule.

eglove
03-02-2011, 12:52 AM
is it wrong that i lol'd when he plowed through all of them?

GTS4tw
03-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by eglove
is it wrong that i lol'd when he plowed through all of them?

It might be wrong, but you weren't alone!

HiTempguy1
03-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Won't work.

If you open your door and someone hits it, you are at fault.

Hmm, interesting, I thought that it was considered a case of fault from the person doing the hitting last time I checked (person behind is at fault).

Canada's rules of the road are full of contradictions, it is ridiculous. In that same situation, if you hammer on your brakes (an obstruction of the road) and someone hits you from behind, they are at fault :nut:

speedog
03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by CMW403
You got it. I'll PM you my info and you scratch my car with your handbrake. Just curious - any PM from oupzwrongthread yet?