PDA

View Full Version : Looking for B5 S4 Owners - Reliability as a DD?

zipdoa
02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Calling out any current/previous B5 S4 owners. I'm looking to buy ASP Integras B5 S4, it's a 2001.5 with 175kms. I will be having the car fully inspected @ tunedub, but would love some insight from any forum members who've had experience with this S-car.

I've already gotten a lot of opinions and experiences from owners over @ quattroworld, but the more the merrier. I know that the turbos are ticking timebombs on these units, but I've read that the 2001.5 has larger oil feed lines and that it is not as great of a concern.

I will be using the vehicle as a DD while I build my UrS4. I'm not expecting UrS build quality or repair simplicity.

Thanks for the info!

Redlyne_mr2
02-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Turbos will fail not matter how well the car was cared for. The Average life of a turbo seems to be 160 000kms. ASP takes care of his cars but you don't want to buy the car thinking it won't require maintenenace because it will.

zipdoa
02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Turbos will fail not matter how well the car was cared for. The Average life of a turbo seems to be 160 000kms. ASP takes care of his cars but you don't want to buy the car thinking it won't require maintenenace because it will.

So @ 175kms we're basically overdue for turbos. I think it's about $2000 a side to replace them?

zipdoa
02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Other concern is that it has previously run an APR chip in it as well. It has been run with the CEL/bad EGTs since last May - does this cause extra wear and tear on the engine?

sillysod
02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Turbos are cheap. The labor is the killer on those. If you can do it yourself its not expensive at all.

sillysod
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Other concern is that it has previously run an APR chip in it as well. It has been run with the CEL/bad EGTs since last May - does this cause extra wear and tear on the engine?

APR tunes are super conservative I wouldn't worry about it.

EGT won't do anything, worst thing that it would do is throw the car into limp mode which prevents it from getting damaged. Prly just a bad O2 sensor, easily enough checked with VAG-COM.

911fever
03-01-2011, 08:06 PM
haha i'm surprised those turbos have lasted that long unless they were replaced.

Errol.
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Went and test drove this car and every thing seemed good besides the misfiring from the EGT sensors.

Turbos on these are known for going, so prepare to replace them soon. Like someone said above, the expensive part is the labor.

They're great cars but i would not get them for a daily. My intention was to get the car for a winter/daily but after reading all the things that needs to be done and could go wrong i stayed away.

Great car, but not something id want for a daily driver.

bastardchild
03-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if that car ruined your savings account.

nixrx8
03-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by bastardchild
I wouldn't be surprised if that car ruined your savings account.

:werd:

I lived that dream.

crapstixs
03-02-2011, 01:25 AM
apparently the auto 2.7L have a 100% failure rate on the torque converter pump seal. its like 14 hours to replace, plus an new converter.

zipdoa
03-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I took it to Tunedub. George said that he's seen vehicles with 260lms+ on original turbos.

Selling points are obviously the fact that it's a Nogaro blue on Blue alacantara. The 2001.5 is debatbly better, it weighs in about 200lbs heavier than the 2000's due to steel uprights vs aluminum. The inclusion of ESP is a + or a - depending on how you drive. Definitely have some hard thinking to do.

ApexDrift
03-02-2011, 08:58 AM
came across this when i was looking into one hope it helps

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1511266

veedubin69
03-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Audis are only as reliable as their maintenance schedule.
It could be a good deal, turbos are $2,500/pair, labor is something you would want to do. If it has the tiptronic then just WALK AWAY cause you'll always wish you bought a manual.

Other than the turbos, the rest is amazing. Where can you find a Subaru with the same interior feel? In Calgary you need AWD no matter what you think, this isn't California! I have many DD S4 clients and they all are sill on the road.

I would take for a pre-purchase inspection before you take advice from all these keyboard heroes & make a tainted decision.

Isaiah
03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
I've had mine for 5 years and other than regular maintenance have not had many problems. It can get a little expensive when something does come up though.

BTW, mines a DD.

Tik-Tok
03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by crapstixs
apparently the auto 2.7L have a 100% failure rate on the torque converter pump seal. its like 14 hours to replace, plus an new converter.

Yarr. I have a allroad, same engine/tip combo as the s4. Made it to 112,000km before tqc failure. Saved quite a bit of money by sourcing another used one, and had it modified. As said though, you'll regret not having a manual.

On the engine side, only failures I've had is the s.a.i., and fuel injector orings that like to piss gas at -25 and below. I replaced all the injector orings last winter, and one is already leaking again.

edit: Oh yeah, also the drivers side cam seal leaked, onto the alternator, so it went on me, which required the entire front clip to come off to replace... fun times, lol.

R-Audi
03-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I might as well chime in... Im currently on my second Stage 3 B5 S4, and both were DD. (178km on first, 138 on current)

Like any other luxury car the maintenance can be expensive if you have a troublesome car.. I've been pretty lucky with both cars, although both were upgraded to K04's.

Things that I have had to replace are:
-EGT's (~800 for both plus install.. my hands dont fit back there, so luckily Georges do!) Now I have them coded out with VAST software
-O2 sensors. Fronts replaced on old car.. rear ones were coded out on both. (no cats, no cel)
-Spider Hose.. breaks down over time.. $200 easy to do.
-CV Boot.. $100 if you catch them early.

Besides that its been a money pit for parts.. but all of them were my option.

My advice to you... unless you are getting a screaming deal on ASP's.. import a Stage 3 car from the States and dont look back. It will save you the potential of having to repace the turbos later.
I will say this though, if you dont want to ever go to K04's (or bigger.. lots of options) DONT EVER GO FOR A RIDE IN ONE!! Going from 270hp to 450hp is a fun step!

zipdoa
03-02-2011, 10:53 AM
So i'm taking a week to think about it some more. I think Ben has a buyer coming up from Edmonton this weekend and it sounds like they are going to take it. It's in excellent shape and the color combo is absolutely gorgeous, I'm just QUITE leary of the amount of maintenance B5 S4's need.

I just wanted to give a BIG props to Ben for being extremely accomodating. He met me halfway to show me the car, brought it in to Tunedub on his time to have it inspected and met up with me last night to try and find a car wash to shine it up (unfortunately everywhere was closed because of the weather).

He has really gone above and beyond to answer my questions. :thumbsup:

sillysod
03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

and fuel injector orings that like to piss gas at -25 and below. I replaced all the injector orings last winter, and one is already leaking again.

This is common on the 2.8L too (same motor just not turbo). I've done it so many times on my wifes Passat that I keep an extra set in the garage and just do it every fall with the fall oil change.

edit: Oh yeah, also the drivers side cam seal leaked, onto the alternator, so it went on me, which required the entire front clip to come off to replace... fun times, lol.

I get to do this one here when it gets nicer out, the Passat just started leaking there too. $100.00 worth of parts but 2 days of labor for me. :whipped:

adidas
03-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Seriously, if u are "thinking" about it than dont even do it.

Coming from a few VWs the numerous shit thats has broken down plus the cost of parts is a fucking headache. Every single part that breaks, has its own little special tool that is required to replace the part.

Now that we are talking about an Audi and a S4 at that, i dont even want to imagine how much parts+labor is.

zipdoa
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Seriously, if u are "thinking" about it than dont even do it.

Coming from a few VWs the numerous shit thats has broken down plus the cost of parts is a fucking headache. Every single part that breaks, has its own little special tool that is required to replace the part.

Now that we are talking about an Audi and a S4 at that, i dont even want to imagine how much parts+labor is.

Meh, I'm no stranger to the VW/Audi scene.

I've had 2x Mk3 Golf VR6's, a Corrado VR6, a B4 Passat TDI, Audi 90 CSQ, Audi CQ, B6 A4 1.8T and a UrS4.

I personally feel that it all comes down to maintenance. These cars (VAG group) can definitely be reliable if the maintenance schedule has been followed religiously. Some more than others, obviously a B5 S4 will be more expensive and time consuming to repair than a C4 S4.

Tik-Tok
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

This is common on the 2.8L too (same motor just not turbo). I've done it so many times on my wifes Passat that I keep an extra set in the garage and just do it every fall with the fall oil change.

I get to do this one here when it gets nicer out, the Passat just started leaking there too. $100.00 worth of parts but 2 days of labor for me. :whipped:

Turns out, it isn't the o-rings this time. I put new ones on, still leaked, swapped the injector to a different cylinder, and it followed, so the injector must be cracked itself. Trying to source one from eurodrivers right now.

The worst part of the alternator, was that I tried it without moving the front clip, and it was SOOOO close to coming out, literally just needed 1/2" more room, but wouldn't drop through, no matter which way I twisted and turned :cry: . Ended up just doing the timing belt/waterpump while I had the whole front clip off too, lol.

sillysod
03-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Turns out, it isn't the o-rings this time. I put new ones on, still leaked, swapped the injector to a different cylinder, and it followed, so the injector must be cracked itself. Trying to source one from eurodrivers right now.

The worst part of the alternator, was that I tried it without moving the front clip, and it was SOOOO close to coming out, literally just needed 1/2" more room, but wouldn't drop through, no matter which way I twisted and turned :cry: . Ended up just doing the timing belt/waterpump while I had the whole front clip off too, lol.

Fuuuuuuu, I just did the timing belt on her car 15,000kms ago. FML.

adidas
03-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Meh, I'm no stranger to the VW/Audi scene.

I've had 2x Mk3 Golf VR6's, a Corrado VR6, a B4 Passat TDI, Audi 90 CSQ, Audi CQ, B6 A4 1.8T and a UrS4.

I personally feel that it all comes down to maintenance. These cars (VAG group) can definitely be reliable if the maintenance schedule has been followed religiously. Some more than others, obviously a B5 S4 will be more expensive and time consuming to repair than a C4 S4.

If youve had a Corrado then i dont think any more commenting on reliability and servicing is necessary lol.

zipdoa
03-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by adidas

If youve had a Corrado then i dont think any more commenting on reliability and servicing is necessary lol.

Precisely.

When you do $8500 in repairs in 3-yrs nothing is really shocking anymore.

GT4rally
03-03-2011, 02:46 AM
I've owned 3 Audi's in my time, and I love them... even more than BMW's, but the two Audi's I would NEVER buy is the B5 S4 and the Allroad. Believe me I've been tempted by both, especially with how cheap they are, but luckily I came to my senses before it was too late!

sillysod
03-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by GT4rally
I've owned 3 Audi's in my time, and I love them... even more than BMW's, but the two Audi's I would NEVER buy is the B5 S4 and the Allroad. Believe me I've been tempted by both, especially with how cheap they are, but luckily I came to my senses before it was too late!

Don't forget the shitty A4 1.8T Front Trak with the CVT transmission that likes to fail around every 100,000kms and costs around $8000 to replace. Acura's transmissions are no better but atleast they were only around $4000 to replace.

zipdoa
03-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Found another one... A little $$ for me but you never know...

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2001-Audi-B5-S4-Avant-Stage-III-450HP-Lots-of-Mods-W0QQAdIdZ264230568

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110301/310r9/1072ekj_20.jpeg

GT4rally
03-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

Don't forget the shitty A4 1.8T Front Trak with the CVT transmission that likes to fail around every 100,000kms and costs around $8000 to replace. Acura's transmissions are no better but atleast they were only around $4000 to replace.

Good point!
I forgot about that piece of crap... probably because I've never been tempted by it.

redblack
03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Found another one... A little $$ for me but you never know...

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2001-Audi-B5-S4-Avant-Stage-III-450HP-Lots-of-Mods-W0QQAdIdZ264230568

seen this posted over on wsc, dont know if the owner of this s4 got al of the issues repaired or not....
http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/showthread.php?19845-I-bought-a-turd.-So-much-for-PPI-s-and-business-ethics
http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/showthread.php?20459-My-car-isn-t-healthy.-Logs-Inside.-Maybe-a-fried-ECU&p=220111&highlight=#post220111