View Full Version : Battle: Los Angeles

Kloubek
02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
This looks sick!

M_pAsPPDdC8

Xtrema
02-28-2011, 02:31 PM
So did Skyline. That bombed.

I'm weary of any movie released between Jan and Marh.

beyond_ban
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
War of the worlds meets District 9. I'm 50/50 on this one, looks like it has potential but it could just as easily suck.

RickDaTuner
02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
this would have faired so much better as a FPS game.. so much story potential

Zewind
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
After Skyline Im scared to see any movie like this.

As for FPS - Resistance?

adam c
02-28-2011, 07:28 PM
never saw skyline, don't even remember the previews for it so this looks like a pretty intense movie tbh

eglove
02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
yea, just like others have said i'm wary of alien genre movies because of skyline, that movie was so unbelievably terrible

n1zm0
02-28-2011, 11:51 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325047/battle-los-angeles/

:poosie:

Tram Common
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Skyline was Universal's attempt to derail Columbia's Battle: Los Angeles.

So, in other words this is just another classic NBC vs. Sony movie battle.

Battle: Los Angeles should be great. They're doing the film right, a friend of mine was a DP on the production team of it.

Kloubek
03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Oh ffs. I even checked the first two pages of the "entertainment" threads for this.

Sorry for the repost. 1st for everything.

Xtrema
03-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common
Skyline was Universal's attempt to derail Columbia's Battle: Los Angeles.

Didn't know that....

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/08/17/battle-los-angeles-to-battle-skyline-in-court/

Universal sure sour the gene ahead of Battle: LA release.

Dumbass17
03-01-2011, 02:17 PM
...a friend of mine was a DP on the production team of it.
double penetration?

Zewind
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

double penetration?

I was wondering they same thing. :rofl:

Tram Common
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Zewind

I was wondering they same thing. :rofl:

I wouldn't expect any less from the minds of the Beyond gutter. It means Cinematographer, it's called a DP though because its other name is Director of Photography.

v2kai
03-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Looks awesome, stoked to see this!

cherpintow
03-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Woah, huge disappointment!

It's almost like they went out of there way to make the most cheesy and predictable scenes.

Also, i'm tired of cliche aliens in movies. There's no way slimey tentacles can create advanced machinery.

Kloubek
03-12-2011, 01:17 AM
^^Not a good start.

Being ripped apart by the critics on RT as well (33%):
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battle-los-angeles/

Strangely though (or perhaps not *that* strangely), the user reviews were really quite good at 77%.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this probably was a decent movie as far as action goes, but probably didn't have a very good storeline, had bad acting, or like you said... it was overly cheesy. All stuff the critics hate, but the typical viewer can overlook when going to see an action flick...

Tram Common
03-12-2011, 02:13 AM
It was absolute garbage... I can't believe how disgustingly bad it was... don't even bother.

Dumbass17
03-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by cherpintow
Also, i'm tired of cliche aliens in movies. There's no way slimey tentacles can create advanced machinery.
not with that attitude!

yeahyeah
03-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I enjoyed it, lots of action, acting was decent, story is what it is. If you go in expecting some Oscar calibre movie, then don't go. Its a solid action movie, turn off the brain and enjoy the ride.

Tik-Tok
03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by yeahyeah
I enjoyed it, lots of action, acting was decent, story is what it is. If you go in expecting some Oscar calibre movie, then don't go. Its a solid action movie, turn off the brain and enjoy the ride.

District 9 ruined peoples low expectations of alien invasion sci-fi movies.

HiTempguy1
03-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Was it better than Skyline? That is all I care. If it is, I may go see it tonight with a friend.

yeahyeah
03-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Didn't see skyline, that just looked bad haha

JAYMEZ
03-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I saw it last night , I thought it was pretty good for a movie

Tram Common
03-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Do not pay money to see it.

The only people who will enjoy this film are individuals who have no expectations of what they are paying to see.

jsn
03-12-2011, 11:48 PM
my friend asked me to go yesterday. Had no idea what it was about so had no expectations. Pretty decent for just a pure brainless action movie. Lots of cheesy scenes and crappy story though. I was entertained nonetheless

ArjayAquino
03-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by jsn
my friend asked me to go yesterday. Had no idea what it was about so had no expectations. Pretty decent for just a pure brainless action movie. Lots of cheesy scenes and crappy story though. I was entertained nonetheless

Same here, I saw it tonight.

Thomas Gabriel
03-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Was anyone else laughing at that scene where the guy offered up his son's services? It was so awkward even the actors paused for a second.

Overall terrible movie. My friend and I almost walked out. Not asking for it to be Oscar-quality but really it wasn't even entertaining.

yeahyeah
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
You guys who didn't like it should have went with your buddies to the Kings Speech and given each other hand jobs to the excellent dialogue z0mgggg fap fap fap

Vagabond142
03-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Seeing it tonight. I am a bit of a sucker for popcorn movies. In fact, except in rare cases, the LOWER the critical reception, the more I want to see the movie.

Starship Troopers had a 1.5/5 rating from the Herald in 1997. I saw it, then saw it three more times.

TRON: Legacy = 2 stars out of 4. I saw it three times in theaters.

A Beautiful Mind = 4/4 stars. I fell asleep halfway through.

So I'm expecting lots of explosions, bad dialogue, one-liners worthy of an Arnie movie, awesome visual effects, and overall an experience where I can shut my brain off for 2 hours and not give a flying fuck :D

Xtrema
03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
If you have played any FPS in the last 3 years, you have already seen this movie.

Graham_A_M
03-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Was it better than Skyline? That is all I care. If it is, I may go see it tonight with a friend.

Way better.

Probably the most action packed movie I've seen in a LONG time. Just uber intense, although it was getting a bit played out, and I was checking my watch a fair bit starting 2/3rds the way through.
What killed it for me was that whole "Marine" bullshit.

"I know you're nuts haven't dropped yet, and you dont even have an interest in girls, but dammit Hector, at age 9 your the best gosh-darned marine I've ever seen"

:rolleyes: Its like..... Fuck off.... :facepalm:
Enough with that whole Marine tackiness already... at times it was almost comic relief.

beecue
03-13-2011, 09:48 PM
There was a lot of unintentional comedy but movie was ok.

A790
03-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Whatever. I liked it.

Tons of aliens getting fucked up. Lots of explosions. Pretty much what I was hoping to see.

Michelle Rodriguez is a nice touch too. The things I would do to that woman... :hitit:

Vagabond142
03-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Went in expecting rah rah military, explosions, things getting blowed up in other ways, and sappy emotional bits interspersed.

What I got was rah rah military, explosions, things getting blowed up in other ways, and sappy emotional bits interspersed.

So, all in all, very successful evening :D Go in with your brain off and wanting to see shit blow up, and you'll leave happy.

I give it 4 popcorns out of 5 on the popcorn movie rating meter.

HiTempguy1
03-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Way better.

Probably the most action packed movie I've seen in a LONG time. Just uber intense, although it was getting a bit played out, and I was checking my watch a fair bit starting 2/3rds the way through.

Well, I went and watched it, and thought it was awesome! Awesome for the action, that is ;) I don't think I've ever seen so many explosions in one movie, and felt like I was deaf when I came out from all of the shooting :D

Yes, it was mindless, and yes, it was another army movie, but it was mildly interesting and it was fantastic watching everything getting blown to shit. Was worth the $10 IMO, as I don't have an entertainment setup that would do it justice.

Type_S1
03-14-2011, 10:40 AM
I thought it was a good ACTION movie. The one thing I disliked was the 3 emotional scenes...come on you can get me with 1, MAYBE even 2 but 3 come one!!!

Seriously people trashing this did you expect an oscar winning action flick?

l/l/rX
03-14-2011, 10:43 AM
like the previous posters above me, i thought it was a great action flick. It was like a real life starcraft + COD movie! I watched it for the action and nothing else.

Hakkola
03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I liked it, except all the fucking talking and a few little things bothered me. Worth the money, I had a good time watching it.

Orbie
03-14-2011, 10:53 AM
You guys who didn't like it should have went with your buddies to the Kings Speech and given each other hand jobs to the excellent dialogue z0mgggg fap fap fap

No doubt, I'm just completely confused as to what the hell people's expectations were stepping into this movie. The next Schindler's List or something? It's pretty obvious this is a mindless action/war, turn your brain off and drool type movie and it did a great job of being exactly that. I loved it for what it was!

As far as the Skyline comparisons go, no contest this is much better, but if there are any similarities it's probably due to what Sony is in a big huff about with the Strause brothers. If the visual effects company I hired to work on my film all of a sudden produced a movie, released 4 months ahead of mine, with pretty much the same premise and similar effects I would be pissed too.

friedn00dles
03-14-2011, 10:53 AM
used my Scene points to watch this movie. I actually enjoyed this movie minus the acting/emotional scenes.

Did anyone notice the billboards in the movie? RESISTANCE 3... haha great way to add that into the movie so promote purchasing the game to shoot aliens.

mac70135
03-14-2011, 12:46 PM

+1

403Gemini
03-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Gonna see this Wednesday night.

If I see tons of explosions, huge fire fights vs aliens, and very minimal dialogue - I'll be happy ;)

Seriously, it's not like it's Transformers where I actually had an expectation, I just want to see shit get WRECKED in this.

l/l/rX
03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I just want to see shit get WRECKED in this.

You won't be dissappointed then. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

interlude
03-14-2011, 02:37 PM
I thought this movie was awesome! Watched it friday night, and about 12 Canucks players sat right behind me (Sedin twins was sitting right behind me)

There was tons of product placement throughout the movie. I thought it was pretty good. Black Hawk Down but against aliens.

HiTempguy1
03-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

You won't be dissappointed then. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I dunno he had "expectations" for Transformers :rofl:

403Gemini
03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I dunno he had "expectations" for Transformers :rofl:

As in I WANTED it to be good, but knew those feelings were crushed when i saw "Michael Bay" and even more crushed when I saw the trailer.

Same with GI-JOE. I HAD expectations, till I saw the trailer.

Majestic12
03-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I was hoping it'd be a lot like Black Hawk Down (action-wise) and I wasn't disappointed.

Plus Aaron Eckhart is awesome.

dj_patm
03-16-2011, 11:56 PM
How this movie got such bad reviews is a mystery to me. Sure the dialogue is corny but the action was awesome!

I felt like it was COD happening in front of me lol.

I went into it with the same mindset as I did going into The Expendables and just like with that, I came out happy.

I love the fact that the aliens weren't some demi-gods, protected by impenetrable force fields and unbelievable weapons. I love the fact that there wasnt some stupid way to beat the aliens. No "Virus" or damaging oversight by the aliens ala Signs.

Sure aliens that have the technology to get here would be so sophisticated that they would wipe us out no problem but if you want to follow that angle, then they could most likely just get rid of us without even coming here. Why push your luck by landing an invasion against a species that has lethal weaponry and centuries of combat experience, when you could conceivably get rid of them a million other ways with the level of technology you poses.

You have to suspend scientific logic when watching movies like this.

403Gemini
03-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Aside from the obvious US Marine dick stroke, I did enjoy this movie. I do have to say though, at about 2/3 through, it should have ended. I know the beginning was all character development, but they could have spliced it between action scenes. I liked that they were in the helicopter from the beginning, and from there you could have had a flash back of the staff sergeants history/quitting 24 hours earlier etc, then later in the movie, do another quick 2-3 minute history of other marines... that way it would have kept the action moving forward, and left those flash backs as the emotional scenes/character history - like how LOST use to do it.

Also, I fucking hate shaky cam, it's a bullshit technique that is getting fucking old... it worked in saving private ryan because the scenes were slo-mo to emphasize the tragedy of war... now its just an easy way for directors to cop out and use lower quality animation without the viewers knowing.

I'd rate this movie just below starship troopers (which I REALLY enjoy as a guilty pleasure) and I'll likely buy this on DVD.

The girlfriend: she did not enjoy this movie at all :rofl: Oh well, thats what she gets for taking me to Twilight!

eglove
03-17-2011, 12:49 AM
I liked the movie, just hated the shaky cam.

The "I'm a veterinarian" comment, I definitely burst out laughing

Tram Common
03-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Ya, having standards is a bitch, isn't it?

Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
Was anyone else laughing at that scene where the guy offered up his son's services?

I exchanged many confuses looks with others in my row over that scene.

dj_patm
03-17-2011, 09:04 AM
I'd love to know what Alien invasion movie you enjoyed?

Majestic12
03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by dj_patm

Spice World

A790
03-17-2011, 10:47 AM
The girlfriend: she did not enjoy this movie at all :rofl: Oh well, thats what she gets for taking me to Twilight!
Bingo.

Mine has learned to never take me to another Twilightesque movie again.

gmoney82
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM

Independence Day, IMO is the gold standard for alien invasion movies.

403Gemini
03-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82

Independence Day, IMO is the gold standard for alien invasion movies.

Do you remember Independence day from when you were a kid or have you watched it recently? If you haven't watched it recently, I don't recommend you do and keep that memory golden ;)

A790
03-17-2011, 02:18 PM

Do you remember Independence day from when you were a kid or have you watched it recently? If you haven't watched it recently, I don't recommend you do and keep that memory golden ;)
Don't ruin it for him!

old&slow
03-17-2011, 04:32 PM
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4887/battleofla.html

403Gemini
03-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4887/battleofla.html

Why are you posting a link for Battle of Los Angeles when this is a thread about Battle: Los Angeles (different movies all together).

Tram Common
03-17-2011, 05:12 PM

-District 9
-Sphere
-Dark City
-The Thing
-Predator
-War of the Worlds
-Cloverfield

All good.

403Gemini
03-17-2011, 05:17 PM

-District 9
-Sphere
-Dark City
-The Thing
-Predator
-War of the Worlds
-Cloverfield

All good.

None of these are alien "invasion" movies except War of the Worlds... which was pretty bad for a movie that WANTED to be taken seriously.

-District 9 was more of a mockumentry about how we deal with things that are different
-Sphere, Thing, Predator are all 1 time occurrences and not an invasion. Invasions are basically all out war, no government cover ups.
-Cloverfield... that thing wasn't even an alien, was it? Thought it was just a creature that was woken up.

Tram Common
03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Invasions are basically all out war, no government cover ups.

No, they aren't. An invasion can be many things, it can be small scale, ie a home invasion, or an invasion of rats... it does not have to be an all out war, it can be as simple be an intrusion.

Which is why all of those listed can technically be considered alien "invasion" movies.

403Gemini
03-17-2011, 10:34 PM

No, they aren't. An invasion can be many things, it can be small scale, ie a home invasion, or an invasion of rats... it does not have to be an all out war, it can be as simple be an intrusion.

Which is why all of those listed can technically be considered alien "invasion" movies.

invasion

an act or instance of invading or entering as an enemy, especially by an army.

I also think you meant "infestation" of rats. I see what you're saying though, but I think the topic we're discussing is the act of all out war of another planet attacking ours. You listed great sci fi movies, but I wouldn't classify them in the same sub-category of alien movies as Battle: Los angeles or War of the Worlds.

Hakkola
03-17-2011, 10:43 PM
So wait, can you have an invasion of army ants?

I say that's what 2012 is all about, ants. Watch out.

SilverRex
03-18-2011, 05:26 AM
finally got to watch battle:LA last night, over all was pretty good,

in a way it kinda felt like a district 9 sequel except your on the army side.

it could have used a few more interesting situation then a few big battle spots.