PDA

View Full Version : State Farm dropping Insuarance on RHD

Crazyjoker77
02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
So I got a letter today from state farms "underwriters" saying they are unable to offer 500$ deductables and they are unable to offer my policy at the curent rates. It says a letter will be coming shortly showing my new policy.

I have 3 RHD insured with them the oldest for 5 years now as well as 2 LHD vehicles on my policy. I have never made a claim and have a clean license.

There is a thread on 780tuners where someone has talked to their agent already and seems like they want to only offer PLPD on the cars increase the deductable to 5000% and increase there rates.( i only get plpd with theft and fire)

I called my local agent but she doesnt seem to know anything about it and just told me to bring the letter down when i come to renew my insurance(its up in april but i wont be reinsuring with them if they want to pull this crap)

So anyone know anything about this yet? what insurance companies are people insuring their RHD with currently?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Had no problems insuring my Nissan 180SX with TD, they even offered me collision coverage.

wintonyk
02-28-2011, 05:46 PM
this was a few years ago now, but I had problems with royal and sunalliance insurance for a RHD.

They wanted a $1500 deductible for fire and theft. I moved to Allstate at that point where i had a 250 disappearing deductible.

No insurance company can deny you PLPD on basis of car (thats my understanding at least.)

Your best bet is just to shop around.

jzz30dk
02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
i have full coverage on my soarer with intact insurance. never had an issue with them

TE4MFaint
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Also with AllState. Allowed PLPD or collision.

TT-fast
02-28-2011, 09:31 PM
got my soarer on td for almost a year now, never had a problem, they didnt even make me get a insurance inspection! or i was to lazy to fax it and they gave up asking me and just insured it hahah:poosie:

i would leave right away if they pulled that shit

Type_B
02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Also got mine insured through allstate, no questions asked.

Gibson
03-03-2011, 01:23 AM
I had my Skyline on Intact insurance, although now that I think about it I seem to remember they wouldn't cover collision, theft or vandalism.

I called another company out of curiosity one day and I'm trying to remember what it was, but they wouldn't even touch it because it was in the "highly modified" category. It was a bone-stock four-door non-turbo.

tom_9109
03-03-2011, 07:38 AM
You're probably going to see an industry wide shift of companies trying to avoid RHD with high rates and only the basic coverages. There had been enough of these on the road in Canada for long enough now to get some numbers on the risk related to them.

The insurance companies can't deny you the liability coverage however they can dissuade you by making the premiums higher (if possible, grid etc) by not offering any physical damage coverage (comprehensive, collision) or making the rates/deductibles to so high you wouldn't want to pay them.

I believe the Insurance companies concerns are:

1. Parts availability is very limited on most RHD when it comes to collision parts. Its a real bitch to source and price the parts and in most cases labour times aren't in the systems so need to be judge. This leads to a huge increase in appraisal costs (TIME).

2. There has been a trend of accidents (Canada wide) shown to have been caused at least in part to the placement of the steering wheel.

3. Demographics. The typical RHD driver tends to be a higher risk than non RHD driver. (On average, there are exceptions). I think we can all see the age/sex of the common RHD driver.

JRSC00LUDE
03-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
(On average, there are exceptions) I think we can all see the age/sex of the common RHD driver.

mentally age stuck at approx. 14/male with pronounced traits of "small man syndrome" and sideways hat-itis?

tom_9109
03-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

mentally age stuck at approx. 14/male with pronounced traits of "small man syndrome" and sideways hat-itis?

Well if you want to use technical terms, then yes.