PDA

View Full Version : Heated parkades, winter, and rust?

alberta_gamer
02-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Just overheard someone at work saying he doesn't use the heated parkade because the snow/ice melting off during the day, every day worsens rust. Is that right, or is he just bitter that he can't get a spot in the parkade by the time he gets to work?

kvg
02-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Yes its true if you have rust.

J-hop
02-28-2011, 11:41 PM
yea what rust needs to form or spread is a good electrolyte. Although as far as I know we don't salt our roads yet, dirty snow on your car etc when it melts can still be a pretty good electrolyte. If you leave your car in the cold the snow isn't able to melt and create a good electrolyte to promote rusting so you are better off leaving it outside.

Now if your car has decent paint (ie: not all chipped) you probably have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you keep it clean.

benyl
02-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Although as far as I know we don't salt our roads yet,

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_395_203_0_47/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Roads/Snow+and+ice+control/Salt+Management+Plan+FAQs.htm

J-hop
03-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by benyl

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_395_203_0_47/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Roads/Snow+and+ice+control/Salt+Management+Plan+FAQs.htm

apparently I haven't come out of my cave in a while, so OP there is another piece of evidence supporting the persons claim.

heavyD
03-01-2011, 08:40 AM

apparently I haven't come out of my cave in a while, so OP there is another piece of evidence supporting the persons claim.

Yes. Corrosion rate is directly proportional to temperature so salt on a car at freezing temperatures doesn't promote much if any corrosion but in a heated garage where temperatures are +20 and humidity is higher is much more optimal conditions for corrosion to take place. That's why cars rust out east so bad with their high humidity and more moderate temperatures combined with lots of road salt. Bottom line is that if you park in a heated garage keep your car clean.

Tik-Tok
03-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by alberta_gamer
Is that right, or is he just bitter that he can't get a spot in the parkade by the time he gets to work?

Out of curiosity, what does he drive that he's so worried about rust? If it's a fairly new car, he's bitter, if it's older, he probably is genuinely concerned.

mr2mike
03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Really, people can have flawless paint, take a look under the car... full of rust. Its nearly impossible to fully wash under your car.
If he's got a newer car, he'll sell it before it becomes an issue. But yes heat increases the chemical reaction process... simple chemistry.

CapnCrunch
03-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Direct sunlight will degrade your paint faster than melting snow and salt.

I've never seen a car kept outside that has better paint/ less rust than one thats been garaged.

J-hop
03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Out of curiosity, what does he drive that he's so worried about rust? If it's a fairly new car, he's bitter, if it's older, he probably is genuinely concerned.

one thing I do notice with a lot of new cars (in my experience) is they have extremely thin paint. I don't know if this is for cost cutting purposes or what.

I also don't know how many companies galvanize their cars still (cost cutting again??). I seem to remember reading about some major problems with infiniti vehicles and rust problems with vehicles as new as 2004 having severe rusting.

Underbody coating seems to have suffered as well lately, my dad was looking at a new truck at the car and truck show last march and both the F150 and Dodge Rams they had on display had undercarriage rust on them already, mostly surface rust, but still for a brand new vehicle I thought this was weird especially when they specifically try to sell you on an undercarriage rust proofing package that apparently must be re-applied every year.

M.alex
03-01-2011, 12:42 PM

I also don't know how many companies galvanize their cars still (cost cutting again??). I seem to remember reading about some major problems with infiniti vehicles and rust problems with vehicles as new as 2004 having severe rusting.

I can attest to that - my dad's 2002 has the typical rusty underside, but the paint on both of his rear quarter panels are peeling apart from the rust on the underside.

heavyD
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM

one thing I do notice with a lot of new cars (in my experience) is they have extremely thin paint. I don't know if this is for cost cutting purposes or what.

It's an environmental purpose as water based paints are more environmental than solvent based paints. Problem is that water based paints take much longer to cure so manufacturers use less steps and thinner coats to compensate and keep manufacturing times in check. The paint coming out of Japanes manufacturers such as Toyota (google RAV4 paint problems for example), Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc is pure garbage which is why clear bra is now mandatory. The cost of being envirnomentally friendly has been passsed on to the consumer as usual.:thumbsdow

I'm pretty anal about paint which is why my next car won't be Japanese. Domestic and German paint is superior at the moment.

Tik-Tok
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Domestic and German paint is superior at the moment.

Not on a Mustang, it isn't.

heavyD
03-01-2011, 01:52 PM

I've only heard complaints in isolated cars about bubbles from contaminants prior to spraying but not to the extent of the thin, soft paint coming out of Japan. Automotive paint isn't infallible and you are going to have chips and defects from all manufacturers.

JordanAndrew
03-07-2011, 01:15 AM
damn, I guess more car wash trips for me.

94boosted
03-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Are you implying that HeavyD's new car will be a 2011 Mustang GT ;)

Tik-Tok
03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Are you implying that HeavyD's new car will be a 2011 Mustang GT ;)

Lol, no? I have no idea what his new car will be, but my 2005 paint was ridiculously thin, comparing it to my '03 Audi, and '98 Subaru.

I'm not saying they didn't improve the paint since then, just that mine was weak.