PDA

View Full Version : Offroad/driving lights

Palmiros
03-01-2011, 02:01 AM
I often find myself driving long stretches of highway and dark country roads, in order to get to job sites. I'm content with using the standard low/high beam combination for highways, keeping in mind I'm sharing the road with other people. That being said, I would like to get better lighting (offroad/driving lights) when driving on country roads.
I've been looking around the forum here but can't seem to find what the regulations (if any) are on these sort of lights.
I've heard in the past, that any such light over 4 inches is technically illegal(?), (only to be used on private property/off roading) thus the reason you see the covers on them most of the time. I've heard about this while working up in BC, not sure if it applies to Alberta. Also, is there a certain brightness these lights have to fall under, in order to be deemed lawful?
I'm looking for something that can provide decent additional lighting, that is within the required law allowance.

This is basically what I'm trying to accomplish.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/lilguido1/IMGP0770.jpg

Thanks in advance, I'd also be happy to hear suggestions as to what brands you guys use or recommend.

FraserB
03-01-2011, 02:10 AM
I have 4 6" 130W KC lights uncovered on the front, never been hassled even using 2 in the city (aimed right).

Sugarphreak
03-01-2011, 09:11 AM

FraserB
03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
^You changed the lights you have? Or have the replacements not come in from the dealership?

J-hop
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I know it doesn't really answer your original question but have you considered an HID projector swap?

Sugarphreak
03-01-2011, 11:48 AM

CelicaST-162
03-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Myself and a few guys in the association run these lights. Lightforce. They're expensive upfront and you can find great deals if you shop around-online. You get what you pay for, doesn't mean the KC's aren't great in which they are. The Lightforces have an adjustable beam pattern and I have great confidence on the dark gravel roads.

I myself and a few other run the Lightforce 240 Blitz, they're huge with epic lighting! http://www.lightforce.net.au/products

If you want a pic let me know, I have no problems whoring pics of my rig out;)

Palmiros
03-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
One of the regulations for them are you don't need covers for them as long as they are mounted below your headlamps. There are regulations on how they have to be aimed though..
Thanks for the info, I've checked out the website and will definitely keep them in mind when deciding. You wouldn't happen to know anything in regards to the 4" regulation I mentioned in the original post, would you? I would like to go as big *cough* as I can, but still be within the law requirement.
You mentioned the covers are a pain in the ass to handle; why do you use them, just to protect the lenses I assume?

Originally posted by J-hop
I know it doesn't really answer your original question but have you considered an HID projector swap?
Yes, I have. Keep in mind this is a work truck. I don't mind spending money for better lighting, but don't want to go over the top.
I know you get what you pay for; that being said, I found
this kit (http://cgi.ebay.ca/9007-HI-LO-BI-XENON-HID-KIT-CANBUS-BALLAST-55W-/280633522951?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge|Model%3ADurango|Year%3A2000&hash=item41570fbb07) on eBay. Company seeling them is from Calgary. I don't know much about car lighting, so if you've got knowledge on this topic (these lights in particular) I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Originally posted by CelicaST-162
If you want a pic let me know, I have no problems whoring pics of my rig out
That would be great. I'm actually looking for the exact same "safari bar" in the picture i posted, the only thing I need to decide on, are the lights. I've only heard good things about the LightForce lights, once again, "you get what you pay for" seems to ring true.

How are you guys running these aux lights? Linked to Hi-beam, or a stand along switch?

CelicaST-162
03-01-2011, 11:51 PM
You can buy the harness for the LightForce lights, then it just turns into a plug and play system. It comes with a switch that can be mounted in the drivers area.