PDA

View Full Version : Toyota FT-86 II and Subaru RWD Concept @ Geneva

kbye
03-01-2011, 03:06 AM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3992/img3008u.jpg

I like it. Hope they don't tone down the production version too much. They should also make the CF splitters available as TRD parts, really digging those.

Here's subie's version, unfortunately there is no sheet metal:

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/338984-4/Subaru+Sports+Car+Boxer+Architecture+07.JPG

More ft86:
FT86club (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983)

More subaru:
autoguide (http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gallery.php/v/main/auto-shows/2011-geneva-auto-show/subaru/boxersportscar/)

beyond_ban
03-01-2011, 03:34 AM
vote for ban

avow
03-01-2011, 03:55 AM
I can't believe they aren't showing it as production. Fuck this stupid car and the fact it will never come out.

chkolny541
03-01-2011, 05:06 AM
the toyota is just gorgeous. :drool: :drool:

jdmXSI
03-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by avow
I can't believe they aren't showing it as production. Fuck this stupid car and the fact it will never come out.

From what I've heard the Subaru version should be out later this year...

K3RMiTdot
03-01-2011, 08:55 AM
do like the car, not the teasing

Tik-Tok
03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fuck this car.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Awe jeeze someone beat me to it.

heavyD
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541
the toyota is just gorgeous. :drool: :drool:

Yeah there's no doubt it's a hot looking car. I jut hope they don't neuter the production version.

joseph
03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
When this thing finally makes it to production how much will it be?

kvg
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
is there a ban rule for starting the 200th thread about this maybe one day car?

In the words of twin cam

"Fuck this car"

npham
03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Fuck this car...just sticky one thread and be done with it, lol.

kbye
03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
i love how everyone just jumps on the trolling bandwagon.

just because your sick of hearing about this car doesn't mean other people aren't interested.

Xtrema
03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Hyundai build a Genesis and Toyota went and build a Tiburon.

Fuck this car.

gyu
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM
First pic :drool:

Tik-Tok
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by kbye

just because your sick of hearing about this car doesn't mean other people aren't interested.

I was interested in Duke Nukem Forever for over 10 years, before I said "Fuck this game".

kvg
03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by kbye

You should have put this in one of the numerous threads about this car.
You don't see 16 super jail bait threads in ask leo do ya?

kbye
03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by kvg

You should have put this in one of the numerous threads about this car.
You don't see 16 super jail bait threads in ask leo do ya?

Like anyone cares. :dunno:

If mods give a shit then they can move or delete it. I just thought the new concepts were newsworthy, but all the "car-fuckers" think otherwise.

benyl
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
2 pages of worth of threads on this car:
http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=showresults&q=ft86&searchid=9111388&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

48 threads mention FT86. How is that news?

badatusrnames
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
There should be a single thread for this car. Any FT-86 related posts outside of it should be deleted.

cream
03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Man, if they keep the styling on that car, definitely going to be my first new car bought.
:drool:

Sykes
03-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm definitely excited for what this car will be, but I think they went in the wrong direction with the styling. IMO, it's too extreme - it reminds of the days back in the early 2000's of bodykits and conversions.

I'd very much rather the original concept:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/ms2009_015-620op.jpg

or even better, the G-Sports concept:
http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/toyota/ft-86/ns/toyota_ft-86_f34_ns_11510_717.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
03-02-2011, 01:03 AM
The market research done on this car no longer applies to the market that they will be trying to sell too.

I hate to say it but todays young up and comers want awd, sav's, with lots of room and space. No one buys 2 doors anymore:(

heavyD
03-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The market research done on this car no longer applies to the market that they will be trying to sell too.

I hate to say it but todays young up and comers want awd, sav's, with lots of room and space. No one buys 2 doors anymore:(

The 2 door market is still lucrative for domestic cars like the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger but yeah it remains to be seen if it's a viable market for imports as the 370Z has sold poor and Genesis Coupe sales have cooled considerably since initial launch. Subaru/Toyota will have to be very, very careful with pricing on these cars. They have a chance if priced affordably (not Toyota's strong suit). If not the model run will likely be short lived.

l/l/rX
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Don't say that :( I love my 2 door rwd drive car. IF these come out any time soon, I will be very interested in buying one or perhaps one of the new lotus'? ;) :D

Xtrema
03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
No one buys 2 doors anymore:(

With less than 300hp.

If I'm losing 2 doors, the car better be fun.

clem24
03-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Subaru has already sold out - not offering AWD and no turbo. Both cars will basically be re-badged versions of each other. I suppose there's still hope that Toyota will keep the styling since their last few launches like the that ct200h and the LFA have stayed fairly close to concept. But still... If Toyota has no guts to put guts in this, let's see a light, high revving screamer under the hood like they did with original AE86.

heavyD
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Subaru has already sold out - not offering AWD and no turbo.

That's not selling out. That's being economically viable. If the assembly line has a $40,000+ coupe with turbo and AWD rolling out for Subaru and a $30,000 NA RWD coupe rolling off the next assembly line for Toyota I don't think you need to be a market analyst to realize one assembly line will be producing 5x more cars than the other.

slinkie
03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

That's not selling out. That's being economically viable. If the assembly line has a $40,000+ coupe with turbo and AWD rolling out for Subaru and a $30,000 NA RWD coupe rolling off the next assembly line for Toyota I don't think you need to be a market analyst to realize one assembly line will be producing 5x more cars than the other.

Then why does subaru even produce AWD/turbo cars, you see what he means by "selling out"?

I'm surprised subaru is producing a clone I was hoping their version would be AWD at least. I hope the interior stays close to the concept one (on the red version), it looked pretty good IMO.

heavyD
03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by slinkie

Then why does subaru even produce AWD/turbo cars, you see what he means by "selling out"?

Look at if from Subaru's point of view. They have been one of the few companies that have increased business over the recession. That said they are still a niche company. There are simply large amounts of people in various areas of North America that aren't going to consider owning an AWD car as where it doesn't snow as ther is no benefit whatsoever and increases fuel economy, complexity, and price. The best time to branch out into other markets is when the tide is high and momentum is at your back.

If Subaru makes this model into essentially a WRX coupe who's going to buy it? It will be the same people that would have purchased a WRX/STI. They wouldn't be growing their market and in fact they would be just cannibalizing their own sales. The number one question in sales meetings in boardrooms across the continent is 'how can we grow our business'. Subaru is smart and realizes you can't cater to a niche demographic and evolve.
The whole fanboy ideology that they should only manufacture AWD cars is completely ridiculous.:rofl:

gyu
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Sykes
I'm definitely excited for what this car will be, but I think they went in the wrong direction with the styling. IMO, it's too extreme - it reminds of the days back in the early 2000's of bodykits and conversions.

I'd very much rather the original concept:

or even better, the G-Sports concept:

Looks better now I think, way more aggressive front bumper, nicer rims, and a low spoiler. Doesn't look rice imo, but I do drive a Civic lol

Xtrema
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM

BMW swear off FI, now every line has FI.

BMW swear off FWD, now they will have a few lines of low cost FWD cars.

You just have to evolve with the market.

clem24
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM

That's not selling out.

WTF? How are they not selling out? For the last what, 20 years we've been bombarded with ads about how they are so proud to offer AWD in all their cars.

And now? "Subaru is proud to offer AWD in all of our (4 door) offerings!". Yay! Hmm what should I buy? A Matrix or the Vibe? Evolving with the market? Sure, if that's just another way of saying selling out.

heavyD
03-03-2011, 03:26 PM

WTF? How are they not selling out? For the last what, 20 years we've been bombarded with ads about how they are so proud to offer AWD in all their cars.

And now? "Subaru is proud to offer AWD in all of our (4 door) offerings!". Yay! Hmm what should I buy? A Matrix or the Vibe? Evolving with the market? Sure, if that's just another way of saying selling out.

The market has changed. It's going to be increasingly difficult for Subaru to meet increasing CAFE numbers strickly based on AWD cars. The new FB engine has only resulted in an improvement of 1 mpg over the EJ so they aren't going to do it through engine technology alone. RWD is just the beginning. A FWD model will be inevitable if they still want to do business in North America.

slinkie
03-03-2011, 05:31 PM
...Subaru is smart and realizes you can't cater to a niche demographic and evolve.
The whole fanboy ideology that they should only manufacture AWD cars is completely ridiculous....

Good post but I'm still disappointed the early rumors like "sti engine" or even "Awd" for the subaru version never came to fruition. Fanboys are a sizable part of Subaru's market since, among younger guys especially, they made a name for themselves with their rally-inspired AWD models.

As an AE owner my hopes for the FT are high but my expectations are low, especially the way Canadian cars are priced I think this thing is going to be a big disappointment for enthusiasts, even if it is a financial success (doubt that also).

clem24
03-04-2011, 07:16 AM
As an AE owner my hopes for the FT are high but my expectations are low, especially the way Canadian cars are priced I think this thing is going to be a big disappointment for enthusiasts, even if it is a financial success (doubt that also).

I think as an AE owner, your expectations should be low because Toyota has failed to put the "spirit" of the AE back into this car. It's too heavy and the engine.. Well if they use a standard Subaru engine, it'll probably redline at 6000 RPM AND not have much power beyond 5000. These 2 completely goes against the grain of what made the hachiroku great.

A790
03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
This car really pisses me off.

When I first saw the concept it was one of the only cars that I sat back and went "I *have* to have that car." it has everything that could make a sports car great... assuming they made it a sports car.

Toyota and Subaru have done a great job making and hyping this car up to be something, but what that "something" is nobody really knows. As gorgeous as it is, it won't sell if it writes cheques that it can't cash.

I hope that Toyota doesn't drop the ball on this. The FT86 has a chance to be a beautiful car that brings back the passion and excitement to the brand... something that's been missing since they killed off the Supra. And, if they did pull it off, I'd be one of the first in line to get one. But, whether or not that happens still remains to be seen.

Drop the teaser pictures, concepts, and press releases. Release the specs. What is this car really going to be?

msommers
03-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by A790
What is this car really going to be?

A pipe dream.

heavyD
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Toyota and Subaru have done a great job making and hyping this car up to be something, but what that "something" is nobody really knows.

Really? IMO Toyota and especially Subaru have been very low key about these cars. After it was initially announced you didn't really hear peep from them outside the initial FT-86 concept and now the recent unveilings. All the hype has been caused by the rabid fanboys that have been for years member of a car forum for a car that hasn't even existed in production. It's slow enough day to day being a member of a forum for a car that exists what the hell do people talk about daily/monthly/yearly about a car that so little has been known about until recently? What a bunch of losers. Every time there's a vague rumor from a magazine or web site that has no connection to Toyota/Subaru these clowns rumor monger the fuck about it and it ends up at every car forum. Those guys are the reason everyone is tired of hearing about these cars.:thumbsdow

Xtrema
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM

I think as an AE owner, your expectations should be low because Toyota has failed to put the "spirit" of the AE back into this car. It's too heavy and the engine.. Well if they use a standard Subaru engine, it'll probably redline at 6000 RPM AND not have much power beyond 5000. These 2 completely goes against the grain of what made the hachiroku great.

People gotta accept that will crash and safety standard, you will never get AE or CRX of yesteryear back.

It would be lucky if it stay under 2600lbs.

tobypaddock
03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
What is this car really going to be?

lame.

fuck this car

clem24
03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

People gotta accept that will crash and safety standard, you will never get AE or CRX of yesteryear back.

It would be lucky if it stay under 2600lbs.

I don't know.. The Mazda2 has a curb weight of... Wait for it... 2200lbs or so? So yeah it's definitely possible. I think they pegged the curb weight of this thing at almost 3000lbs?

syritis
03-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm posting here cuz i read the first 4 post and don't really know whats going on. I'm posting anyways b/c i'm extremely self absorbed and everyone needs to know my opinion.

Looks good but emissions killed the sports car.

msommers
03-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by syritis
Looks good but emissions killed the sports car.

What in God's name are talking about.

ottamania
03-11-2011, 12:49 AM
:banghead: +1 for ban