PDA

View Full Version : How to start a car in the cold that has not been plugged in

LUDELVR
03-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for starting a vehicle that has been sitting in the cold and has not been plugged in. There is a block heater but there is no power outlet near by.

What solutions are there to getting this thing warm enough so it'll start?:dunno:

Tik-Tok
03-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Rent a generator from home depot?

Get a really long extension cord?

Drain the oil into a clean container, bring it indoors to warm up, and then re-use it, or even better, just do an oil change with new oil that's been warmed to above room temperature.

edit: Also removed the battery and bring it indoors to warm up (and put in on a charger to boot).

Install the battery, pour the oil in as quick as you can, and it'll start fine. Unless your fuel lines frozen.

Unknown303
03-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Tiger torch, 6" SCH80 pipe, tarp.

Sugarphreak
03-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Neil4Speed
03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Nothing in particular, but since you have a block heater you might as well get an extension cord and plug it in.

Do make sure that for just the moment before you crank you turn off the stereo and climate control, heated seats etc, takes the strain off the battery.

mr2mike
03-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Drain the oil into a clean container, bring it indoors to warm up, and then re-use it, or even better, just do an oil change with new oil that's been warmed to above room temperature.

If you're willing to wait. Conventional oil will be like molasses and even synthetic will take a long time to flow.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I have heard turning the lights on for a full 5 seconds or so before you attempt to turn it over will help initialize the battery.

You could also pick up a booster pack from Canadain Tire.

Failing that, get a bottle of ether and spray it into the air intake just prior to turning it over... that was my old man's trick, lol.

Never heard the battery trick... personally, I try to keep all accessories off until I get it started.
Have your foot ready on the gas to keep the revs up a bit until it won't die on you. People will crank and crank then kill the battery, then you're really eff'd.

The ether works and so does wd:40 but in reality, that's gotta be hard on the engine. Getting forced start, haha.

Oil pan heater > block heater

Unknown303
03-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I like this guys idea.

Iceman_19
03-01-2011, 09:54 AM
never, ever boost a frozen battery unless you want to buy a new one. Synthetic oil has a very low pour point, so it would be fine in this temp.

stealth131
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
My car is never plugged in, I walk outside and turned the key. That seemed to start it fine

LUDELVR
03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, it's not my car, it's my roommate's and it's parked on the street quite a ways away from any power plug so I don't think I can use an extension cord.

What do AMA do when they get called out for a situation like this? I'm certain that it's not the battery because the engine is turning over, it's just bloody cold out!

stealth131
03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Well, it's not my car, it's my roommate's and it's parked on the street quite a ways away from any power plug so I don't think I can use an extension cord.

What do AMA do when they get called out for a situation like this? I'm certain that it's not the battery because the engine is turning over, it's just bloody cold out! What kind of car? My talon fired first crank this morning

HiTempguy1
03-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Pull start, works every time. Get a towing strap and hook it up to another vehicle.

This does NOT work (obviously) with an autotragic.

mr2mike
03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Most likely, cars not plugged in, parked outside today will start if you have synthetic oil in it. Conventional oil, you're SOL.

AMA probably has a oil pan heater and a battery heater or something. Warm the battery, then charge it and get the car started... dunno, never had to call them but that's my guess.

If you don't have the tools to get this started... AMA might be money well spent or wait a few days till it warms up.

G-ZUS
03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Most likely, cars not plugged in, parked outside today will start if you have synthetic oil in it. Conventional oil, you're SOL.

AMA probably has a oil pan heater and a battery heater or something. Warm the battery, then charge it and get the car started... dunno, never had to call them but that's my guess.

If you don't have the tools to get this started... AMA might be money well spent or wait a few days till it warms up.

:poosie: My car started with regular oil and a crappy battery to boot. Wasn't plugged in at all :goflames:

J-hop
03-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I agree with getting an extension cord to plug it in. I think Cdn Tire even has a sale on their ext. cords right now. Also maybe pick up a battery blanket while your at it. Tik-Toks Idea is good (about changing the oil) but I would personally avoid ever reusing oil so if you want to do something like this just drain oil and put in warm clean stuff- like he also suggested. Just for the risk of contamination while it is out of the car. I live by the rule, no fluid that comes out of my car goes back in.

edit: sorry I just read your comment about it being across the street (ask to plug into a neighbors place maybe?) also if you have enough time, instead of the battery blanket just pull your battery and bring it inside for a few hours

HiTempguy1
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
If you do go the extension cord route, make sure it has the PROPER amperage rating. Block heaters draw HUGE energy (700+ watts usually) so make sure you get a decent gauge sized wire. The longer the cord, the bigger the wires (just a general rule of thumb).

CapnCrunch
03-01-2011, 11:02 AM
There's really not much you can do.

Personally I'd make sure I put synthetic oil in it and make sure the battery is in good shape.

Sugarphreak
03-01-2011, 12:11 PM

LUDELVR
03-01-2011, 01:39 PM
It's a 94 Honda Accord and this is the first time that it's ever not start this winter...mind you I think this has also been the coldest it's been this winter temperature wise.

She called me and said it wouldn't start. Tried boosting it with a portable battery jump starter and it didn't go so I'm assuming that it's the oil. It's in a condo complex and she's parked on the street so yeah, using an extension cord is not the most convenient of solutions. Maybe she can just wait until it gets warmer! haha

Tik-Tok
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
It's a 94 Honda Accord and this is the first time that it's ever not start this winter...mind you I think this has also been the coldest it's been this winter temperature wise.

She called me and said it wouldn't start. Tried boosting it with a portable battery jump starter and it didn't go so I'm assuming that it's the oil. It's in a condo complex and she's parked on the street so yeah, using an extension cord is not the most convenient of solutions. Maybe she can just wait until it gets warmer! haha

Ask her how much fuel is in the tank, if it's less than 1/4, I bet the fuel lines are frozen.

gogreen
03-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

If it absolutely, positively MUST start, accept no substitutes! :lol:

It does works like a charm, but it's certainly not for the inexperienced. I also don't think it's the best option in this case given that we now know it's a 94 Accord. I doubt there'd be enough ground clearance to accomodate a 6" SCH80 pipe. Too much potential for melted plastic. Or worse!

A strong battery, synthetic oil, and a full tank of fuel will go a long way towards ensuring the car will start in the future.

Zero102
03-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Why would you assume it is the oil?... the engine turns, you said so above, it just isn't firing. Either you are missing fuel or spark.

cream
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Hmm, same thing happened to my sister's civic today. '07 Civic..

Not sure on the gas level.. but first time EVER that it has not started. It was plugged in all night too :dunno:

Guillermo
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I drove beaters for many years so i've been in this situation quite a few times. first, you really need to plug in the car when it gets this cold, otherwise you're going to have a bitch of a time getting it started (i've had times when I couldn't start my car for 2-3 days).

your only real option is to remove the battery, bring it indoors, and let it warm up. if you've been cranking on it, you'll need to charge it, too. once it's warm, you can try starting your car, and if it still won't start, you're just going to have to wait for the weather to improve so the engine isn't so cold.

and no offense, Tik Tok, but the idea of filling the engine with room temperature oil wouldn't work at all... the oil is simply going to cool down to ambient temperature (-30 or whatever) as soon as it makes contact with the cold engine. not to mention it's going to be impossible to drain the existing oil.

tell your roomate that if he wants to drive his car on really cold days, he's going to have to figure out a way to plug in the block heater. :dunno:

Guillermo
03-01-2011, 02:42 PM

didn't read the whole thread. if it's turning over, it could be a frozen gas line as others have mentioned. is the engine turning over at a normal rate when you try to start it? if it is, and it doesn't seem like the battery is laboring to turn over the engine, it's probably a frozen line... of course these aren't mutually exclusive either. maybe she will learn to keep her tank full and plug in her car after this LOL.

The worst is when your car won't start even when the block heater is plugged in, which has happened to me before :rofl:

teknical
03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Try some gas line antifreeze. Worked like a charm for me when I forgot to fill up one frosty morning in January :thumbsup:

AndyL
03-01-2011, 04:08 PM
rather than the tiger torch...

old farmers trick - big empty nabob coffee tin, about 2-3 cups of diesel in it, then a roll of toilet paper. light the tp - dont worry no woosh... leave under oilpan.

tow companies will boost - no other real options. occasionally i'll tow to a carwash to warm up...

Unknown303
03-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
rather than the tiger torch...

old farmers trick - big empty nabob coffee tin, about 2-3 cups of diesel in it, then a roll of toilet paper. light the tp - dont worry no woosh... leave under oilpan.

tow companies will boost - no other real options. occasionally i'll tow to a carwash to warm up...

I used the tiger torch method whenever it was really cold in the winter when I lived up north, on a early 80's ford bronco. Works like a charm, never had any issues. But you have to be really smart about the placement. :rofl:

Weapon_R
03-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Power inverter in your car, small extension cord, park beside beater and plug in the block heater, let the oil pan warm up for a few hours.

Mar
03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, my car has started every day for 6 years without any problems in -50 windchill. Does it depend on the car?

Kardon
03-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Maybe I'm missing something, my car has started every day for 6 years without any problems in -50 windchill. Does it depend on the car?

Do you think it is easier to crank over a little 4cylinder or a v6? Of course it depends on the car, and oil, and battery etc..

badatusrnames
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Mar

FYI, wind may cool your car faster, but wind chill doesn't apply to an object like a car. Your vehicle will not drop below ambient temperature, regardless of the wind chill felt by people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windchill

maxwinedog
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Iceman_19
never, ever boost a frozen battery unless you want to buy a new one. Synthetic oil has a very low pour point, so it would be fine in this temp.

I had to do this just now. My car wouldnt start, pop the hood and notice my battery was completely frozen. So frozen you couldnt touch it without your finger sticking to it. Not even my stereo was playing. I knew just by that it had to be the battery. Had to boost it, then took it to my mr lube and got a new battery. I normally dont trust mr lube guys for car work but battery is ok.

Originally posted by cream
Hmm, same thing happened to my sister's civic today. '07 Civic..

Not sure on the gas level.. but first time EVER that it has not started. It was plugged in all night too :dunno:

Probably the battery, thats what happened to mine today. Started it and sounded like a dying horse. Only lasted 2secs then it wouldnt even try to start period.

SKR
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Jesus, that's not a bad idea. I've never thought of that.

On the farm we either used a tiger torch and a piece of stovepipe, or lots and lots of ether. But that was always on diesels. I don't know if ether and spark plugs play nice together.

Guillermo
03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

FYI, wind may cool your car faster, but wind chill doesn't apply to an object like a car. Your vehicle will not drop below ambient temperature, regardless of the wind chill felt by people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windchill

LOL, try explaining that one to the guy who thought he could keep his playstation warm by wrapping it in a sleeping bag :rofl:

badatusrnames
03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

LOL, try explaining that one to the guy who thought he could keep his playstation warm by wrapping it in a sleeping bag :rofl:

Well, if he brought it from inside, and kept it in the sleeping bag as a means of insulation, that would keep it warm for a longer period of time, no?

Guillermo
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
^^guess you missed that thread, i can't find it at the moment, but the exchange went something like this (it got better in the actual thread, though):

Originally posted by Awd-Tsi

Originally posted by Guillermo
^^what? the sleeping bag isn't going to keep the xbox from getting cold, unless you put a heat source in the bag with it.

Okay genius... Why don't you walk around with a t shirt on in winter, it's not like the winter coat will keep you warm

TomcoPDR
03-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Sounds to me maybe all she needs is a little Leo lovin'

Try some gas line anitfreeze too.

npham
03-01-2011, 11:17 PM
So disappointed, no one has even asked for pics yet...pics?

cream
03-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by npham
So disappointed, no one has even asked for pics yet...pics?

Pics of a car that won't start?

LOL

npham
03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by cream

Pics of a car that won't start?

LOL

...She called me and said it wouldn't start...

Thanks for coming out champ. :clap:

jaylo
03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Could be either of these two things
1. battery frozen
2. if automatic, the shift lever is not fully on Park or "P"

#2 Happened to me on Monday, the symptom is it would not crank at all and when the key is on the ON position, the P and the D light is lit. Wiggled the shift lever and this has resolved the issue

#1 Take the battery in your house for an hour or so and try it again.

Actually, Leo, if you are willing to pick up a battery at my place, I can lend it to you and start up your friend's car, let the engine warm up and all, then try to start it with the original battery.

I have an Exide Orbital sitting at home fully charged.