PDA

View Full Version : Kinetico sale on right now at Trail

89coupe
03-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Not sure who is in the market for a water softener right now, but Trail has an awesome deal on right now for the Kinetico units.

$400 off the regular price for the softener unit, and if you buy the water purifier as well, you get the water dechlorinator for free.

Total package is normally $5500, I picked up all three last night for $3600.00

yellowsnow
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM
They have nothing on their webpage... can you tell me how much you bought the water softener for? Is it THAT much better than a 'cheaper' softener you buy at sears?

InRich
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
yes its MUCH BETTER. if your looking for a good water softener, thats almost as good as kinetico, but about half price PM me and i'll give you my guy.

scottv442
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
i was quoted 2200.00 from trail, for the kinetico, on saturday from the home show.

yellowsnow
03-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Anyone know when the sale ends? I'll prolly pick one up in a week or two

Thx for the heads up:thumbsup:

89coupe
03-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
Anyone know when the sale ends? I'll prolly pick one up in a week or two

Thx for the heads up:thumbsup:

Ask for Jen Bartlett, tell her Brad Taylor referred her to you.

eblend
03-02-2011, 12:54 PM
edit...nvm, chlorine, floride, same difference haha :D

CapnCrunch
03-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Same shit, more money. Buy a regular softener.

89coupe
03-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Same shit, more money. Buy a regular softener.

If you are going to make a comment like this, at least back it up with facts

CapnCrunch
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

If you are going to make a comment like this, at least back it up with facts

Okay, I built a new house with softener brand "a", my buddy built on the same street at the same time, same builder, same size house with Kinetico.

Water was tested in both for PH, Iron , hardness, etc. No difference.

yellowsnow
03-03-2011, 04:46 PM

Okay, I built a new house with softener brand "a", my buddy built on the same street at the same time, same builder, same size house with Kinetico.

how'd you test the water? what was your process?

VWEvo
03-03-2011, 04:49 PM

That sounds very scientific..

This is where you have to always take advice on Beyond with a grain of salt. Facts aren't what you and your friend tested. Facts are actual reputable articles, or post the data of your tests. Not heresay.

89coupe
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
There is also a lot more to comparing products then the output.

There is...

Energy cost

Maintenance cost

Efficiency

Reliability

Warranty

sputnik
03-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Buying a separate water "de-chlorinater" is pointless if you have a water dispensing fridge.

The chlorine taste is simply removed by an active charcoal filter built into water dispensing fridges.

It is also a good practice not to run the softener for water going to places you get your drinking water from. I find that softened water tastes like crap due to the sodium added to it. Something to consider before the drywall goes up on the basement ceiling.

89coupe
03-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Buying a separate water "de-chlorinater" is pointless if you have a water dispensing fridge.

The chlorine taste is simply removed by an active charcoal filter built into water dispensing fridges.

It is also a good practice not to run the softener for water going to places you get your drinking water from. I find that softened water tastes like crap due to the sodium added to it. Something to consider before the drywall goes up on the basement ceiling.

We got a dechlorinator for our skin, not for drinking. Drinking water is ran through the Kinetico water purifier, soft water or not, everything is filtered out.

codetrap
03-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Who says it's a "good practice"? Personally, I don't find any noticeable difference in the taste of regular city water and softened water.

The amount of sodium added to water from the water softening process depends on the hardness of the water supply. When very hard water (greater than 10 grains of hardness per gallon) is softened, only 20 to 40 mg of sodium is added to every 8 ounces of water. For comparison, an 8-ounce glass of low-fat milk contains about 120 mg of sodium, a 12-ounce can of diet soda contains from 20 to 70 mg, and an 8-ounce glass of orange juice contains about 25 mg.

The majority of the sodium in consumers' diets -- more than 90 percent -- comes from sources such as processed foods and table salt. The recommended daily allowance for sodium consumption is 2,400 mg. Drinking two quarts of softened water would only add approximately 240 mg of sodium to your diet. Individuals concerned about sodium in their diet should consult their physician about effective means of reducing overall sodium consumption.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/softwater#ixzz1FeEoIStQ

sputnik
03-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I personally don't like the taste of softened water.

I find that it tastes "flat".

Can't describe it any other way.

CapnCrunch
03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

That sounds very scientific..

This is where you have to always take advice on Beyond with a grain of salt. Facts aren't what you and your friend tested. Facts are actual reputable articles, or post the data of your tests. Not heresay.

That's funny considering the pro-kinetico have posted nothing of the sort. Perhaps you can enlighten us with articles and data.

89coupe
03-04-2011, 12:40 PM

That's funny considering the pro-kinetico have posted nothing of the sort. Perhaps you can enlighten us with articles and data.

Tell me what system you use and then I will tell you the difference between the two.

A2VR6
03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Just wondering, anyone heard/knows how a Fleck softner compares to a Kinetico?

http://www.thewaterman.ca/water_solutions/prod_soft-residential.html

Its near the bottom, i believe they're around the 1000-1200 dollar range.

codetrap
03-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Tell me what system you use and then I will tell you the difference between the two.

Aquamaster Pro AMP51 $900 installed.

Oh, and the cost of the electricity according my killawatt is about $0.46/month.

yellowsnow
03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
^^ where'd you buy that?

Thinking of water softener systems, I don't see how the softened water can be any different. It's just sodium...
I think the advantages of Kinetico is it's reliability, 24/7 softened water, no electricity, and customer support... otehr than that, i don't know how the 'quality' can get any better. don't you use the same type of salt in other water softeners too?

89coupe
03-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Kinetico benefits.

Non-Electric

Eliminates, timers, solenoid & microprocessor problems

Two softening tanks

Condition water is used to regenerate the conditioner during all phases of the regeneration process.

Conditioned water is available for use during regeneration

Control valve parts operate in clean conditioned water

Provides uninterrupted supply of conditioned water

No unnecessary reserve capacites are required to handle additional demand for conditioned water.

No special cycles or by-pass adjustments are required when you have guests or before you leave for vacation.

Regenerates only when necessary, based on water usage and not at a preset interval.

No single tank electric system offers these things.

codetrap
03-04-2011, 07:32 PM
^^ where'd you buy that?

Thinking of water softener systems, I don't see how the softened water can be any different. It's just sodium...
I think the advantages of Kinetico is it's reliability, 24/7 softened water, no electricity, and customer support... otehr than that, i don't know how the 'quality' can get any better. don't you use the same type of salt in other water softeners too?
Wolsely

Kinetico benefits.

Non-Electric
Eliminates, timers, solenoid & microprocessor problems
- what problems? I'd rather have my regeneration take place at 3am than

Two softening tanks
- so this enables the system to regenerate one tank while the other is in use. Nice feature, but hardly necessary since my water softener regenerates the system on demand as well.

Condition water is used to regenerate the conditioner during all phases of the regeneration process.
- Not a really big deal during regeneration, otherwise it would be an industry standard and since the good softeners have a 10 year warranty, it doesn't appear to be necessary.

Conditioned water is available for use during regeneration
- hence the regeneration timer set for 3am, or on demand.

- except that nice turbine that runs in the hard water

Provides uninterrupted supply of conditioned water
- never been a problem with mine, it regenerates in the middle of the night on demand.

No unnecessary reserve capacites are required to handle additional demand for conditioned water.
- Not sure what is meant by this.

No special cycles or by-pass adjustments are required when you have guests or before you leave for vacation.
- mine is totally automatic. I just add salt every few months

Regenerates only when necessary, based on water usage and not at a preset interval.
- Actually. It's metered regeneration based on a preset interval.

No single tank electric system offers these things.
- mostly because not all of them are necessary.

The biggest problem with a kinetico system is the price. At around $2000 to get into, any percieved advantages are completely killed by having to pay $1100 more for an equivalent quality system.

And that's not even thinking about the "block of salt" cost"
I

89coupe
03-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Wolsely

The biggest problem with a kinetico system is the price. At around $2000 to get into, any percieved advantages are completely killed by having to pay $1100 more for an equivalent quality system.

And that's not even thinking about the "block of salt" cost"
I

So what happens if your reserve capacity is met and your machine immediately goes into replacement mode? Hard water, right?

Not with a Kinetico.

What happens when you go on holidays? Do you have to go down and turn your softener off, or do you just leave it on?

codetrap
03-04-2011, 08:22 PM

So what happens if your reserve capacity is met and your machine immediately goes into replacement mode? Hard water, right?

Not with a Kinetico.

What happens when you go on holidays? Do you have to go down and turn your softener off, or do you just leave it on?

It will regenerate in 20 minutes
When I go on holidays? If there is no water usages, it doesn't regenerate. I can set it for both, or either though. I can have it regenerate automatically every 4 days, or every 600 gallons, or whichever comes first.

Out of curiosity, does the kinetico have a safety shut off valve? Does it have an overflow hose? Can it take any salt from any source, or do you have to buy salt blocks? Does it have a built in self cleaning sediment filter? Can it remove iron? Can you set it for a particular hardness, or does that require a tech visit? What are the ongoing maintenance costs for a kinetico? All I have to buy is salt.

http://www.aquamasterpro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/AquaMaster_PRO_brochure_sm.pdf

89coupe, do you sell these kinetico systems? Or are you invested in the company or something? You seem to be pretty adamant that they're the best thing going since the invention of the blowjob.

I personally think they're far overpriced for what you get, and a quick google seems to agree with me. That's not to say they're not good units, just that the value for the dollar isn't there.

89coupe
03-04-2011, 08:34 PM

It will regenerate in 20 minutes
When I go on holidays? If there is no water usages, it doesn't regenerate. I can set it for both, or either though. I can have it regenerate automatically every 4 days, or every 600 gallons, or whichever comes first.

Out of curiosity, does the kinetico have a safety shut off valve? Does it have an overflow hose? Can it take any salt from any source, or do you have to buy salt blocks? Does it have a built in self cleaning sediment filter? Can it remove iron? Can you set it for a particular hardness, or does that require a tech visit? What are the ongoing maintenance costs for a kinetico? All I have to buy is salt.

So if you happen to be using it within that 20min window you get hard water right?

You will never have that issue with a Kinetico, ever. The water line into my home has a safety shut off valve?

I know a lot of cheap dishwashers have a so called self cleaning filter as well, after about 3 years your dishes start coming out like they went in...LOL

Thats why good dishwashers make you clean your filter. There is no such thing as a self cleaning filter...LOL

My water purifier takes everthing out.

My Kinetico comes with a 10year warranty.

All I have to do is buy salt as well.

I guess its like a car, sure you can get buy driving a Honda Civic, but wouldn't you want to drive a Bugatti Veyron if you could afford it?

Oh, the PDF stats...LOL
http://www.kinetico.com/assets/pdf/PDS_KineticoSeries_Softeners.pdf

:dunno:

codetrap
03-04-2011, 08:41 PM

So if you happen to be using it within that 20min window you get hard water right?

You will never have that issue with a Kinetico, ever. The water line into my home has a safety shut off valve?

I know a lot of cheap dishwashers have a so called self cleaning filter as well, after about 3 years your dishes start coming out like they went in...LOL

Thats why good dishwashers make you clean your filter. There is no such thing as a self cleaning filter...LOL

My water purifier takes everthing out.

My Kinetico comes with a 10year warranty.

All I have to do is buy salt as well.

I guess its like a car, sure you can get buy driving a Honda Civic, but wouldn't you want to drive a Bugatti Veyron if you could afford it?

:dunno:

Actually, no you won't get hard water. It regenerates BEFORE you run out of softened water. While it's running you still get softened water. You still have softened water in the hot water tank, and there's still softened water in the lines.

I'm pretty certain the self cleaning filter isn't going to catch as much as a dishwasher. We're talking about clean water remember.

My AMP51 comes with a 10 year warranty too. I don't have a water purifier, don't need one. I hardly think it's the difference between a Veyron and a Civic. I think it's more the difference between Monster Cables and a regular cables.

89coupe
03-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Actually, no you won't get hard water. It regenerates BEFORE you run out of softened water. While it's running you still get softened water. You still have softened water in the hot water tank, and there's still softened water in the lines.

I'm pretty certain the self cleaning filter isn't going to catch as much as a dishwasher. We're talking about clean water remember.

My AMP51 comes with a 10 year warranty too. I don't have a water purifier, don't need one. I hardly think it's the difference between a Veyron and a Civic. I think it's more the difference between Monster Cables and a regular cables.

LOL, ok, well you enjoy your Aquamaster Pro...

I'll enjoy my Kinetico.

riceboi
05-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Does anybody know the rate of salt consumption by the Kinetico w/s versus the ones sold by Culligan or GE (Logix)? Thx

Strider
10-27-2011, 11:33 AM
BUMP.

I'm looking for a water softener. Just had a Kinetico consultation, and for the marginal benefits I can't justify the 2-3x incremental cost.

Kinetico Pros:

Non-Electric - Saves about $5 in electricity per year

Eliminates, timers, solenoid & microprocessor problems - The electonics in water softeners aren't terribly sophisticated, and Fleck valves have been around for 50 years.

Two softening tanks - Two tank Fleck 9100 based systems can be bought for $1250 (what I'm looking at getting)

Condition water is used to regenerate the conditioner during all phases of the regeneration process. Saves about 10 gallons per regeneration... not a big deal?

Conditioned water is available for use during regeneration - Same for any two tank system

Provides uninterrupted supply of conditioned water - Same for any two tank system

No special cycles or by-pass adjustments are required when you have guests or before you leave for vacation. - Same for any demand based system, even the lowest end $600 Whirlpool/GE/Kenmore systems

Regenerates only when necessary, based on water usage and not at a preset interval. - Same for any demand based system, even the lowest end $600 Whirlpool/GE/Kenmore systems

So I'm currently shopping for an electronic Fleck valve based system... anybody have a good supplier?

There's reasonably good pricing here: http://www.pacificwatersoftener.com/, but the website is shady as hell, and the people who replied to my email had about as good english as my good friend, the Prince of Nigeria.

Aquamaster Pro AMP51 $900 installed.

Oh, and the cost of the electricity according my killawatt is about $0.46/month.

I was quoted $1500 for the AMP51 when I called Wolseley... did you buy yours through a plumber or Wolseley wholesale account?

I've found a few systems there made by WaterGroup that I'm interested in, but the price for "cash sales" seemed quite high.

codetrap
10-27-2011, 11:41 AM
PM'd you Strider.

benyl
10-27-2011, 12:28 PM
PM'd you Strider.

Send me a PM too. I need to order this shit for the new house.

A2VR6
10-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Strider

So I'm currently shopping for an electronic Fleck valve based system... anybody have a good supplier?

I went with a Fleck 5600 SE (actually gave me a SXT) from these guys (the Fleck stuff is at the bottom of the page) for about 1050.

yellowsnow
10-27-2011, 01:52 PM
I ordered a Fleck 5600 SXT 32,000 grain for about $600. Came pre-assembled too, so just had to do the plumbing. Works great! Free shipping too

http://www.aquatell.com/water-softeners/standard-water-softeners

Strider
10-31-2011, 01:33 PM
PM'd you Strider.
Thanks! Ordered a twin tank Fleck system from Cindy. Getting an install estimate from Sil Craft this week (too lazy to DIY).

Originally posted by A2VR6
I went with a Fleck 5600 SE (actually gave me a SXT) from these guys (the Fleck stuff is at the bottom of the page) for about 1050.

I ordered a Fleck 5600 SXT 32,000 grain for about $600. Came pre-assembled too, so just had to do the plumbing. Works great! Free shipping too

http://www.aquatell.com/water-softeners/standard-water-softeners

Thanks for the suggestions.

I couldn't find any place cheaper than Aquatell, but unfortunately they don't sell a 9100 based twin tank.

One other note for anyone else who's shopping...
Seems a lot of these online retailers and plumbers buy their units wholesale from Good Water Warehouse. I don't know about their pricing, but it's gotta be cheap for these places to turn a profit selling Fleck 5600SXT units at $600-$650.

Might be worth it to someone else to open an account with them to group buy.

benyl
12-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Strider

I couldn't find any place cheaper than Aquatell, but unfortunately they don't sell a 9100 based twin tank.

They do now.

r3ccOs
12-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by benyl

They do now.

I bought a Kenmore good for 39,000 grains of hardness

for my household of 3 adults, we regen ever 7-8 days

I set it to regen @ 3:00 AM, and I give a little bit of overhead by setting the grain settings to 18 (which almost every other softener intaller in the city does as well) which ensures you enver run out of soft water

water generally varies in the SW/SE (dependant on whether you're up in bearspaw or glenmore res) from 14-17 year around, so 18 gives you overhead.

You should size so that it regens within 10 days, otherwise the lack of usage and regen can cause problem within the tank.

take 39,000 gains per gallon and figure the consumption per adult per liter (i.e. 1400 gains per adult per day @ 18 gpg (80 gallons)) so that it regens within 10 days

Anyways... I bought mine for $599 on a "sears day" rented a pex crimper and clamp + $40 of pex and fittings and voila... 2 hrs later it was installed

Though "I" get the Kenetico dual tank setup... other than being slightly more effecient by brining smaller amounts, and flipping at an exact hardness setting, and the no use of electricity (though this uses the same as a wall clock)
I just don't think its worth their asking cost.

benyl
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I am debating between the Fleck 5600SXT and the 9100 from Aquatell. I like the idea of endless soft water, but then again it is twice the cost. I doubt I will spend an extra $600 in salt over 10 years by going with the 5600.

r3ccOs
12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
I am debating between the Fleck 5600SXT and the 9100 from Aquatell. I like the idea of endless soft water, but then again it is twice the cost. I doubt I will spend an extra $600 in salt over 10 years by going with the 5600.

again, you won't go endless if you set a bit of overhead on the softener unless you excessively use water towards the end of its cycle... i.e. if you filled a hot tub with softened water

Strider
12-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Yup, money wise it won't ever make any sense to go with the 9100sxt vs the 5600sxt.

The marginal increase in efficiency isn't gonna save you big bucks, and the chances of the odd 2am shower falling on a regen night are fairly slim... although I generally set my dishwasher to run when I go up to bed.

It's like buying a honda when a hyundai will do.

Sugarphreak
03-11-2012, 11:33 AM

codetrap
03-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Bump:

Looking to get a cheap household water softener so I quit getting water stains on everything.

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to these systems, how much regular maintenance do these things actually need and at how much cost? How should I size the system? Any systems that are notoriously unreliable I should stay away from?

Sugarphreak, take a look at the one I installed and described earlier in the thread. I just put my first bag of salt into it this year. Very efficient, and haven't had any issues with it at all. I check on it once a month to see where it's at with salt usage, and basically let it do it's own thing.

benyl
03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I went with a 48k grain from aquatell. It is a fleck 5600sxt.

We have a 10mm glass shower and have no hard water stain after 2 months of usage. Should have bought one in my old house years ago.

I installed it myself. So I can help you out if you like.

You can call aquatell and they will tell you how to size it. You can send them email as well. They are pretty responsive.

amorak
04-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey guys - looking to buy a water softener myself as well. ANy suggestions beyond what's been mentioned? Looking at the 32,000 grain Fleck 9100SXT. Going to be 3 people using it now, but likely 5-6 in 5-8 years as the family grows.

Thoughts? I am in the west, on city water.

amorak
04-22-2012, 06:03 PM
How hard is the install one of the Flex 9100s?

I'll need to have the kitchen cold/fridge and outside barbs isolated (not softened), and I assume I need to run power to it? Can it be plugged in or do I need an electrician to wire it in?

benyl
04-22-2012, 08:37 PM
It is easy if you have done any pex plumbing. You just need some pipe, joints and a crimper.

The hard part for you is whether or not your builder already divided the lines. When I built my house, I had the softner roughed in. They did all the the division.

I just had to cut one pipe and put the softner in-line with it.

amorak
04-22-2012, 09:09 PM
It is easy if you have done any pex plumbing. You just need some pipe, joints and a crimper.

The hard part for you is whether or not your builder already divided the lines. When I built my house, I had the softner roughed in. They did all the the division.

I just had to cut one pipe and put the softner in-line with it.

Hey benyl,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was just downstairs tracing the lines and it appears the builder appropriately isolated (divided) the lines.

The two outside cold taps and the fridge/kitchen sink cold lines are isolated as well. The kitchen hot and dishwasher (the main reason for the softener, to stop the etching crap on the glasses) are, obviously, NOT isolated.

Does that sounds like the right set up for you? never had a water softner (which is odd, being born in Calgary and all...)

amorak
04-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Do you guys find that a water softener helps with the clouding of glasses, etc from the dishwasher? Our glasses (admittedly not the most expense, but decent Crate & barre stock ) are starting to etch and cloud, and I am hoping a water softener would alleviate that?

amorak
04-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Also, how are you guys getting your water tested for hardness? is there a DIY kit, or do I need to have someone out, so I can properly calibrate the Fleck 5600SXT?

benyl
04-22-2012, 09:32 PM
I am getting the etching on Ikea glasses, even with the softner. I think that it is either the cascade action packs or the heat that my dishwasher puts out. I dunno, but the Ikea glasses are $0.75 each and it really doesn't bother me.

The best part of the softner is the lack of soap scum and calcium in the shower and on the tile.

My rough in was the outside taps, the fridge and the kitchen cold all have isolated lines. The rest go through the main line.

amorak
04-22-2012, 09:46 PM
I am getting the etching on Ikea glasses, even with the softner. I think that it is either the cascade action packs or the heat that my dishwasher puts out. I dunno, but the Ikea glasses are $0.75 each and it really doesn't bother me.

The best part of the softner is the lack of soap scum and calcium in the shower and on the tile.

My rough in was the outside taps, the fridge and the kitchen cold all have isolated lines. The rest go through the main line.

Thanks! So you're still getting etching eh? That's too bad, I was hoping to hear you weren't.

I am plumbed the same way, outside tab, fridge and kitchen cold are pre-isolated, just need to install the softener upstram of the isolation.

I think I will have a plumber install mine, to be sure.

Did anyone buy the Flack 5600 SXTs? Did you get the chlorine filter? Fine mesh resin? brine grid?

amorak
04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
How loud is the Flex, and what size did you guys get and what sort of usage do you have? debating between the 32K and the 48K units.

amorak
04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Sorry for all the questions - anyone notice a pressure drop in the shower with softened water?

benyl
04-23-2012, 12:18 AM
No pressure drop. and I am far enough away from the pumping station that I don't need a pressure regulator.

Chat, email or call aquatell and they will size for you.

I got the chlorine filter, but nothing else. Bring guard is a waste, even though I got one for free. I tossed it.

redevil
08-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Does anyone have a picture of how a water softner rough-in looks like? Just building a house currently and want to make sure that they install it in the basement.

Thanks

G
08-31-2012, 08:22 PM
The rough in is just a builder cash grab. If you find an installer on your own they will do it all for you. Or you can do it yourself if you rent the crimper.

89coupe
09-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Here is a photo of my setup.

I got the Kinetico softener, dechlorinator, & purifier. I also added a hot water recycle pump.

http://www.bradstaylor.com/images/watersoftener.jpg

Sugarphreak
09-04-2012, 08:45 PM

89coupe
09-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh, like Benyl, no issues with hard water stains. We have been in the house for just over a year now.

I don't have any issues with etching on my glasses, but I don't have Ikea glasses. I use the cascade packs as well.

Benyl should post a photo of his setup, I believe he has a boiler system, super baller.:bigpimp:

Damn IT guys get paid so much these days.

codetrap
09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by G
The rough in is just a builder cash grab. If you find an installer on your own they will do it all for you. Or you can do it yourself if you rent the crimper. Or you can talk nicely to me and I'll lend you mine. I got tired of renting one and finally bought an interchangeable size one so I'd never have to rent another one.

benyl
09-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Ok, I built with Shane homes... so mine is nowhere near as pretty as 89coupe's setup. haha.

So this is how the rough-in should look approximately.

Main waterline comes up from the bottom left.

The first 'T' is for the boiler system with the red shutoff valve.
The second 'T' is to split the cold city water from your softened water.

The next pipe goes to the softener. This was connected to the one above it. I cut that to put the softner in-line. The top most pipe on the left is the cold water for the rest of the house.

The second pipe (from the left) going up with the yellow shutoff is for the kitchen taps. The next is for the exterior cold hose bibs. The next is for the fridge water line. The next is for the cold garage taps.

The red lines are softend and are shut offs for the hot water lines in the garage and the hot water exterior hose bibs (for filling the kiddy pool).

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/IMG_0231.jpg

Here is a fuller view:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/IMG_0233.jpg

The other angle:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/IMG_0234.jpg

Brine tank next to the softener from Aquatell:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/IMG_0232.jpg

Here is the craziness that is the boiler system. 6 Zones. All washroom floors, basement floors and most importantly, the garage floor. It also heats the domestic hot water. The boiler is powerful enough that it provides endless hot water. The 70 gallon storage tank is a bit redundant. It's also 96% efficient as it is a condensing boiler.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/IMG_0230.jpg

Sugarphreak
09-04-2012, 10:31 PM

redevil
09-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow that's intense! Just wondering if the floor drain for the water softner is roughed-in under the concrete floor or is it just above the concrete floor placed towards a floor drain with a pipe?

benyl
09-05-2012, 10:02 PM
There is a pipe that was roughed in, but I never used it. I needed another $30 - $50 in plumbing supplies and adapters to make a trap, reducers, etc. I just let it drain on the floor.

My two humidifiers, the condensate from the furnaces and from the air conditioner all drain into the floor drain.

benyl
10-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Saw this at Costco yesterday. Deal and a half.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/315907DC-E31E-4B8F-B234-9F2D80018BA6-2810-0000031DEFDE7740.jpg

rob the knob
10-08-2012, 07:57 PM
is this deal?

for all you crazy water guys above, do you work in power fail?

Saw this at Costco yesterday. Deal and a half.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/315907DC-E31E-4B8F-B234-9F2D80018BA6-2810-0000031DEFDE7740.jpg

benyl
10-09-2012, 12:03 AM
The only thing that won't work in a power failure is regeneration (unless you have kinetico). the system will continue to soften even with a power failure.

You will probably run out of hot water before you run out of softening capacity as your hot water tank won't work without power either.

Tik-Tok
10-09-2012, 06:46 AM

You will probably run out of hot water before you run out of softening capacity as your hot water tank won't work without power either.

Not everyone has a baller expensive tank though. Mine is a basic old school style gas one, with no elec. connections.

benyl
10-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Not everyone has a baller expensive tank though. Mine is a basic old school style gas one, with no elec. connections.

Aren't most pilot lights kept on by electricity? I remember having to light up my parents everytime the power went out. fucking pain in the ass... haha

blitz
10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I think they're piezoelectric igniters. My hot water tank doesn't have an electrical connection.

I might pick up that Costco one. Just got a glass shower door installed and that should help.

ipeefreely
10-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Aren't most pilot lights kept on by electricity? I remember having to light up my parents everytime the power went out. fucking pain in the ass... haha
Mines from 2000; it just has a gas line, chimney and water lines... nice to still have hot water when the power goes out! :clap:

I'm not looking forward to when it dies... :cry:

PS: Nice setup benyl! :thumbsup: :drool:

Sugarphreak
10-09-2012, 08:53 PM

silvercivicsir
10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Dumb question, can you drink "soften" water ?? I don't think my house has "seperate" cold water lines for the kitchen, so if I put in a softener, all the water in the house would be soften.

suntan
10-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Dumb question, can you drink "soften" water ?? I don't think my house has "seperate" cold water lines for the kitchen, so if I put in a softener, all the water in the house would be soften. Yes, you can drink it. It adds a very slight amount of sodium (10mg per 250ml).

silvercivicsir
10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Yes, you can drink it. It adds a very slight amount of sodium (10mg per 250ml).

Great thanks for the update !!.. Do you know which Costco had the sale ?? I might try to swing by after work and have a look at the unit.

suntan
10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Sorry, no idea about the Costco water softener. I got mine from aquatell.com (Fleck 5600SXT + 48000grain + dechlorinator). I love it.

streetdreams
10-10-2012, 03:21 PM
i might have to get one of the costoc ones also North Haven has really hard water in the winter. I can already notice it now.

Takemetoothemoo
10-20-2012, 09:27 PM
What Costco did you see that water softener at?

blitz
10-20-2012, 10:27 PM
I just bought one at the NW Costco. I bet it will be at all of them, it's on their website too, although $130 more due to delivery.

Takemetoothemoo
10-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by blitz
I just bought one at the NW Costco. I bet it will be at all of them, it's on their website too, although $130 more due to delivery.

Picked one up today at the NE Costco 5 left, also the nw Costco has 6. No one else has. Looks nice 5 and 10 year warranty

prosh
02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Bumping this. I got quoted $3199 for the 4040 Kinetico setup before install/tax from Trail thru a Costco promotion. Just curious for others who are on this same system if thats a good price or is there a better route to go.

Thanks,