PDA

View Full Version : gopro hero cams. any good?

screw_loose
03-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Saw one of the hero cams in best buy and got me thinking about my upcoming trip. The video quality in store looked pretty good but does anybody have some real world experience on them? I've read some reviews that go both ways. I just figure the size of the camera, the fact it comes with an underwater housing, well how could it be that bad?

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2011, 04:51 PM
They're average. Their appeal is not so much image quality, but rather that they are small, portable, easily mountable, relatively inexpensive, and waterproof/shock proof. For a lot of people, that works.

If you just want to take some fun, decent quality, video on your trip without having to worry too much about looking after your equipment, it will do a fine job.

Lots of snorkeling companies at vacation destinations like to rent these to people for outrageous prices because they can take pictures too.

If you don't plan on mounting it, and plan on using it more like a typical point & shoot camera, you would be much better off buying a decent point & shoot camera with underwater enclosure, IMO.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Video quality is pretty good, I haven't even tried 1080P yet, only 960P.

Unknown303
03-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Someone on here posted up a sledding video recorded on one of those and it was sick. Amazing quality for what you're paying.

Darell_n
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I have videos of my Subura messing around on ghost lake, snorkeling and para-sailing in the Caribbean, on the water slides on Paradise Island and my recent wedding in St. Thomas. Video quality in bright day light is kick ass, not so much in dim lighting or at night. There is also a focus issue with the camera under water. It's not as crisp as it should be but other's have fixed this by replacing the OEM curved waterproof case lense with one that is flat. I would expect they will fix this themselves soon. All in all I love it.

A 12 minutes 1080p video of my wedding took 6 hrs to render and upload to youtube. Time for a new computer and more terabytes.

Sykes
03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
How about mounted on a helmet while falling off a cliff?

QliBL-AQiAY

zieg
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
yo3M6EB8kmk

Go for the HD version for sure. I've played around with one, planning to buy my own in a paycheck or two. I want to mount it on my RC plane and take some aerial shots of my area just for kicks..

Canmorite
03-01-2011, 11:16 PM
HD version for sure, not worth it for the non-HD ones. Used them a lot for skiing, great for helmet cam/up close shots. Farther away shots don't work so well...

screw_loose
03-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Sykes
How about mounted on a helmet while falling off a cliff?

QliBL-AQiAY

That made me LOL so hard. Even though it is oh so mean.

Video quality from scouring youtube looks fairly impressive even for amateur peeps.

Unknown303
03-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Extended battery and LCD screen are on there way to me right now! :clap:

SIC1
03-15-2011, 10:23 AM
I've used it extensively for riding, snokeling and even for timelapse while driving or watching the snow and ice river melt off the mountains. as said previously it' s not great unless there is a good amount of light. They go pro HD 360 is coming out. that will be 360 of video. Also check out Contour HD cams http://contour.com/ They are the up and coming HD cam that a couple of my friends use with GPS and elevation included. great for hiking, rock climbing and ski touring here in the rockies. I only got the go pro as I get cost +10% where I work. Also remeber you pay extra money is for the attachments if you want to mount to a surfboard, extra battery pack, chest harness etc.

Unknown303
03-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Well everything came in. Wow I have a lot of back panels now. The LCD screen in amazing and super handy.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/Unknown303/2011-03-17142029.jpg

Dave P
03-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Just look at gopro's youtube channel for footage. unreal

i love mine

Unknown303
03-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
Just look at gopro's youtube channel for footage. unreal

i love mine

Yeah the GoPro youtube channel is really inspiring. Going to rig up a few different mounts on the Jeep for catching some action and one on the bike.

AccentAE86
03-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Haha yeah those are great for getting footage of stuff that would otherwise be too risky for expensive gear. I did a shoot with the RCMP and we crashed a car into a guardrail and power pole, and stuck a couple of these on the car during the crashes. I have yet to see the footage though... but they never would have gotten that footage without gopros.

Unknown303
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Anyone know where to find more of the 3M adhesive? The stuff that it comes with it is somewhat specials I imagine, VHB 4991? Found a distributor called Motion Industries but they carry full rolls and I really don't need that much.

Sugarphreak
11-24-2011, 10:42 AM

Maxx Mazda
11-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I use a GoPro HD when I dirtbike. Can't complain.