PDA

View Full Version : FML! Didn't plug in my car the past 2 days...

Canucks3322
03-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Yea yea I know I'm stupid, but this is the first time in my 5 years back in Calgary that I've had to park overnights outside....so I didn't plug the car the past 2 days and tonight I went to go start it up and nothing happened...I just plugged it in, how long do you figure before it will start again lol...I hope I didn't kill the battery trying to crank it about 3-4 times, the fucking headlights won't even turn on.

Guillermo
03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
^^lights don't even work? your battery sucks (big time), plugging it in isn't going to help at all unless you warm up your battery. bring in the battery overnight and put it on a charger if you have one... and get it tested when you get a chance.

Graham_A_M
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
^ Thats a lot of work, to only postpone the inevitable. Replace your battery, then you should be fine. No amount of leaving your car plugged in will help you unless you also get it boosted by another car until you do.

EDIT: and a big tip: dont ever let your battery die. Each time you do, it significantly lowers its life expectancy, and the power it has available for times like these.
In short: your battery is as weak as it is likely from being fully discharged at least once. So make sure you never leave your lights on, or have stuff on inside that discharges your battery significantly.
If you take care of the battery using these tips, batteries can last you 5+ years. The one I have has lasted 8 years now, and its still strong as an Ox. ;)

Canucks3322
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
^ hmmm good idea....yea I just got the car, it's a 2007 Lexus IS250 with 115,000km on it

AE92_TreunoSC
03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Discharged batteries freeze and are no longer useable until thawed.

I dont recommend boosting a frozen battery as it will murder your charging system and frozen batteries risk exploding if charged.

I'd have it towed to a shop, or replace the battery. It's 4 years old anyway, its almost due (5 years is the average for canada)

Canucks3322
03-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Yea I figure I'll just go to Walmart tomorrow to pick up a new battery...so you're saying it will thaw out and it will start again or will I need to get a boost?

AE92_TreunoSC
03-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Yea I figure I'll just go to Walmart tomorrow to pick up a new battery...so you're saying it will thaw out and it will start again or will I need to get a boost?

Thaw out, then fully charge.

It can take almost a day for a battery to de-ice. and often the swelling and condensation of the freeze weakens the battery beyond salvage.

It would then need to be fully charged before placing back in the car.

I'd just get a good battery with a 3+ year warranty.

Xtrema
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

It's 4/5 years old. Just replace it and recycle your old one.

Canucks3322
03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Well I will replace I just wanna know if I can drive it to the Walmart lol...doesn't look like it's warming up enough tomorrow anyways...

Guillermo
03-01-2011, 11:40 PM
personally, i would thaw, charge, and test the battery before buying a new one, but that's just me. :dunno:

(walmart will test it for you for free, why not if you're going there to buy a new battery?)

89s1
03-01-2011, 11:45 PM
lol new cars sure do suck, i haven't driven my 91 civic in ages and I bet it would fire right up right now bad rings and all.

msommers
03-02-2011, 01:36 AM
What the heck does that have to do with anything talked about here? Buddy has a frozen battery, therefore new cars suck? Haha you got it!

speedog
03-02-2011, 08:43 AM
How is it that people have so much trouble with batteries and starting vehicles in cold spells? Our current vehicles (08 HHR and 03 Trailblazer) have never been plugged in and have started every time regardless of the weather. My 1980 El Camino, when it was being regularly driven, sat outside and always started during cold spells - sometimes was plugged in but mostly not and it is carbureted. My past Chev Astros (97 & 86) both sat outside and started with no problems without being plugged in. Even my first car, 77 Datsun 200SX, could start from ridiculous temperatures without being plugged in.

Never once had a frozen battery, never once had frozen fuel lines. Kept all vehicles well tuned and always made sure they had very good batteries as well as kept the cables/connections to/from the battery and alternator in good shape.

So what gives - are people's vehicles that are not starting in this weather (-24c to -28C) just not in good shape because really, it's not that cold yet, it's not even below -30C. Hell, my 97 Chev Astro started from -45C in Edmonton without being plugged in - was in an exposed above ground hotel parkade with no plug-ins.

SJW
03-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by speedog
How is it that people have so much trouble with batteries and starting vehicles in cold spells? Our current vehicles (08 HHR and 03 Trailblazer) have never been plugged in and have started every time regardless of the weather. My 1980 El Camino, when it was being regularly driven, sat outside and always started during cold spells - sometimes was plugged in but mostly not and it is carbureted. My past Chev Astros (97 & 86) both sat outside and started with no problems without being plugged in. Even my first car, 77 Datsun 200SX, could start from ridiculous temperatures without being plugged in.

Never once had a frozen battery, never once had frozen fuel lines. Kept all vehicles well tuned and always made sure they had very good batteries as well as kept the cables/connections to/from the battery and alternator in good shape.

So what gives - are people's vehicles that are not starting in this weather (-24c to -28C) just not in good shape because really, it's not that cold yet, it's not even below -30C. Hell, my 97 Chev Astro started from -45C in Edmonton without being plugged in - was in an exposed above ground hotel parkade with no plug-ins.

It's because you're awesome.

All kidding aside. He probably has a huge stereo constantly draining the battery, or that model of car has many electrical features which your cars didn't.

Who knows? I've never had a problem with my vehicles either. I've never plugged a car in, in the province of Alberta in 10 years.

stealth131
03-02-2011, 09:02 AM
If the lights won't even turn on then it's not going to even have enough power to turn the starter over.

Guillermo
03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by speedog
always made sure they had very good batteries

you answered your own question, dude!

911fever
03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
plugging a car in? WTFBBQ hahaha

Graham_A_M
03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
lol new cars sure do suck, i haven't driven my 91 civic in ages and I bet it would fire right up right now bad rings and all.

You got it Pontiac! :thumbsup:

I should trade my car in for a 20 year old civic. ;)

89s1
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

You got it Pontiac! :thumbsup:

I should trade my car in for a 20 year old civic. ;)

just remember when shopping, oil consumption is a sign of a healthy motor. :thumbsup:

Canucks3322
03-03-2011, 01:05 AM
So my girlfriend took me to Canadian Tire and I opted for the battery charger since it was on sale for 19.99...charged it for half an hour and plopped the battery back in and got the horn and lights working again...I guess it wasn't frozen, just dead cuz when I took it out earlier this evening, being about -20 outside, the water inside was still...water.....anyways...gonna leave it charged overnight to fully charged, then driving back to Canadian Tire to get a brand new battery. :thumbsup: Thanks for the help....what would cause the battery to discharge if it wasn't the freezing for 2 days straight? is it just a coincidence that it discharged when it happened to be so cold outside? :dunno:

JordanAndrew
03-07-2011, 01:13 AM
The cold weather definitely makes the battery to discharge faster but it is also a fact that your battery is just old already. Good thing you're buying a new one, problem solved.

KandabashiDevil
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
^ Thats a lot of work, to only postpone the inevitable. Replace your battery, then you should be fine. No amount of leaving your car plugged in will help you unless you also get it boosted by another car until you do.

EDIT: and a big tip: dont ever let your battery die. Each time you do, it significantly lowers its life expectancy, and the power it has available for times like these.
In short: your battery is as weak as it is likely from being fully discharged at least once. So make sure you never leave your lights on, or have stuff on inside that discharges your battery significantly.
If you take care of the battery using these tips, batteries can last you 5+ years. The one I have has lasted 8 years now, and its still strong as an Ox. ;)

Holy shit ... I wasn't sure people were still posting helpful and relevant information on the forums.

:thumbsup:

D. Dub
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Good advice.

They used to almost all last 5-8 years, even the cheap ones . But now only the premium brands do. Excellent example of planned obsolescence.

mycroftxxx
03-07-2011, 09:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Neat-Vintage-Tool-Accessory-Engine-Heater-1939-/280638364878?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4157599cce

"A vintage engine heater with the original box and shipping label that indicates the item was sold/shipped to a gentleman in Lewiston, Maine in 1939 ! Item is in good workable condition"