PDA

View Full Version : denied service work

iroccragg
03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
has anyone else been denied service work from Calgary BMW.
I took my car in for servicing and they would not cover items that were to be done, the insisted that they were customer pay items.

I had the car in at a vancouver BMW a week prior and they said all the service would be covered but I did not have time to get it done.

servicing on a 2008 M3 that is supposed to be done with the oil change, rear diff fluid change and spark plug change. All came up on the key read. WTF

rage2
03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
What did they deny?

ICEBERG
03-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Isn't Spark plugs a service item and not a warranty item? Did they at least do the oil and rear diff?

J-hop
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I didn't think any of that was warranty. Unless you got some sort of specific service package on top of the warranty.

Warranties (AFAIK) only cover manufacture defects or parts wearing out prematurely. If you've brought it in for a predicted service then nothing should be covered under warranty.

Aleks
03-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
I didn't think any of that was warranty. Unless you got some sort of specific service package on top of the warranty.

Warranties (AFAIK) only cover manufacture defects or parts wearing out prematurely. If you've brought it in for a predicted service then nothing should be covered under warranty.

Regular maintenance items are suppose to be free on BMWs during warranty.

Redlyne_mr2
03-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Spark plug changes are at 96000kms IIRC which would be past your 4/80 complimentary maintenance. Diff fluids and transmission fluids do not need to be changed during the life of the car as per BMW ie. they don't cover that. I would call Albert John in service at the Gallery for confirmation as he's the best one in the city to ask. It sounds like the service department in Vancouver gave you poor information and the service department at Calgary gave you vague information.

iroccragg
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
it was for service work that came up on the key read. Calgary would not cover rear diff fluid or spark plugs. They told me I had to pay for theses items. I have a copy of the key read and it says these items are to be combined with engine oil change.

I talked to vancouver last night and they said it was all covered and they would change fluid and plugs no problem.

I cant really see why the spark plugs need to be changed but still thats beyond the point.

heavyD
03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Spark plug changes are at 96000kms IIRC which would be past your 4/80 complimentary maintenance. Diff fluids and transmission fluids do not need to be changed during the life of the car as per BMW ie. they don't cover that. I would call Albert John in service at the Gallery for confirmation as he's the best one in the city to ask. It sounds like the service department in Vancouver gave you poor information and the service department at Calgary gave you vague information.

One thing that worries me about the free maintenance is that BMW is just jacking up the intervals to avoid doing them for free? I have a hard time believing that fluids used to cool and lubricate moving mechanical parts that wear over time performing adequately for the life of any vehicle.

FraserB
03-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Thats interesting that BMW does not think diff service is necessary when other manufacturers call for it to be done at roughly 30k, more if placed under severe use. Does that mean that if you don't change the fluid and you have a failure that is traced to the fact no service was performed, they are going to cover it since their diff doesn't need service?

It seems that the more I read about BMW and they way they deal with customers who just dropped $50k+ on a car makes me want to buy an Audi or MB more.

heavyD
03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
It seems that the more I read about BMW and they way they deal with customers who just dropped $50k+ on a car makes me want to buy an Audi or MB more.

I'm in the market for a new car and stuff like this worries me. Although I must admit I have a hard time holding onto cars long enough to have to put up with long term repairs.:)

Aleks
03-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Thats interesting that BMW does not think diff service is necessary when other manufacturers call for it to be done at roughly 30k, more if placed under severe use. Does that mean that if you don't change the fluid and you have a failure that is traced to the fact no service was performed, they are going to cover it since their diff doesn't need service?

I just had my oil changed at Calgary BMW and when I got the car back and turned it on it showed next oil change was in 30,000 kms :nut: There is a calendar component to it too though which is one year.

heavyD
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

I just had my oil changed at Calgary BMW and when I got the car back and turned it on it showed next oil change was in 30,000 kms :nut: There is a calendar component to it too though which is one year.

What kind of miracle fluid are they using that will maintain shear stability and resist oxidization for 12 months/30,000 kms? I realize that these companies have engineers that can back this up but you have to wonder how far the limits are being pushed.

iroccragg
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

also depends on how you drive it, the computer will adjust the 30,000

redblack
03-03-2011, 11:57 AM
30,000 kms is crazy, with my audi its 15,000km but i change it every 7,500km.

davesparky6
03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
In before synthetic/dyno oil debate.:thumbsup:

crapstixs
03-03-2011, 12:48 PM
its depends on how you drive. i belive there is a lazer or a led that shines through one of the oil gallerys and there is a pick-up on the other side. once the oil gets too full of carbon it will set the service light. a lot of manufactors have filled for life components. they are comming more and more commen. also trannys with out dipstick's and drive train components without check plugs. they want to keep people from fucking with them. one of the number one reasons why drivetrain componets fail is people putting in stupid additives and incorect fluids.
keep in mind that fluids have changed so much over the last few years, were you actually can put 30 000km on oil. every thing has gone to synthetics. you can even get synthetic power steering fluid now. same thing with spark plugs, 150 000km on plugs is not uncommen.

e31
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I realize that these companies have engineers that can back this up but you have to wonder how far the limits are being pushed.

Those engineers would not back up these claims if it weren't for the sharp sticks pointed at their back by the bean-counters. There have been long term studies conducted by independent engineers who can refute these claims being spewed by BMW marketing junkies. More specifically relating to ZF "1st" generation of lifetime fluid transmissions that came out in the 1995 models ex:5hp24

I'm sure I have an old email from a ZF master technician saying that he would regularly change the oil if he had one of these cars.

Zero102
03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I think 30,000km in a non-turbocharged engine is acceptable with synthetic oil. In my TDI I ran extended drain intervals with oil analysis at the end of each interval and I found my maximum safe interval to be around 24,000km. At this point the oil had sheared to near the edge of its grade and the soot content was getting high enough to warrant a change. The oil still had plenty of additives left, the TBN was still good and the wear metal concentrations were still good. Each oil change interval had at least a month or two of cold winter (non-plugged-in) starts, and at least 1 trip towing 2000lb+ trailers through the mountains.

If you had a non-boosted engine it would likely be a bit less picky about the viscosity of the oil and it also wouldn't have the soot problem so I could see a similar oil going 30,000km or more in a naturally aspirated engine provided it didn't run excessively high oil temperatures or have mechanical problems.

I don't want to start a synthetic vs dino debate, but I do think it can be said that with the right oil and operating conditions 30,000km is not crazy, but is perfectly safe.

That said, manufacturers that advertise lifetime fluids are just plain lying to you. Many do this with transmission and differential fluids and this is just asking for trouble. It is a policy invented to publish a lower total cost of ownership to try and grab a larger market share for their vehicles.

Redlyne_mr2
03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
30 000kms is too long , the oil change interval is 24 000kms. With that being said I agree with what's being said above. I would
Change mine sooner as well. You're more than welcome to service your BMW more often, it's just at your own expense like
It already is with Audi and Mb. For most people the complimentary maintenance is fine. M cars are a different story IMO .

Going back to the Op, what's the mileage on your car?

Aleks
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

What kind of miracle fluid are they using that will maintain shear stability and resist oxidization for 12 months/30,000 kms? I realize that these companies have engineers that can back this up but you have to wonder how far the limits are being pushed.

I don't know but I don't drive enough to hit that many kms in a year. I got about 15,000kms before the year was up and I went in for a change. No dipstick in the car either so you rely on sensors to check oil levels.

crapstixs
03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
the way i veiw filled for life is, if its in warranty its the manufactors problem, if its out of warranty its your problem. i still call flushes on filled for life stuff. look at toyotas aft 4, its kinda a purple color and it gose allmost black and its still good. its not so cut and dry anymore.
you can run engine oil much longer now, your starting to see alot of interference fit pistions. that have next to no blow by. so right away you way less fuel and acid build up in the oil.

i have yet to meet a engineer that will be push around by a accountent.

iroccragg
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
30 000kms is too long , the oil change interval is 24 000kms. With that being said I agree with what's being said above. I would
Change mine sooner as well. You're more than welcome to service your BMW more often, it's just at your own expense like
It already is with Audi and Mb. For most people the complimentary maintenance is fine. M cars are a different story IMO .

Going back to the Op, what's the mileage on your car?

Redlyne_mr2
03-04-2011, 11:00 AM
OK talked to Albert, your diff fluid change is covered. It should be done at 50 000kms, it's covered by BMW. The sparkplugs are not covered as they need to be changed at just over 100 000kms. There is an issue with the software on the key reader which is why it's telling you/us that the sparkplugs need to be done. Were not sure why Calgary BMW won't do the diff service but we will do it here.

iroccragg
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
OK talked to Albert, your diff fluid change is covered. It should be done at 50 000kms, it's covered by BMW. The sparkplugs are not covered as they need to be changed at just over 100 000kms. There is an issue with the software on the key reader which is why it's telling you/us that the sparkplugs need to be done. Were not sure why Calgary BMW won't do the diff service but we will do it here.

thanks for looking into this
much appriciated

Aleks
03-04-2011, 08:31 PM
30 000kms is too long , the oil change interval is 24 000kms.

I took this pic today. Isn't this the oil change symbol? Shows 30,000 kms still. I thought it was 24 k too. :nut:

The date looks wrong too. I don't have to change my oil for 2 yrs according to this :rofl: :banghead:

03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
I think that is the top off oil symbol - go hit the computer control on the left stalk up and down and go to the oil section and it shows the oil level

Aleks
03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Oil is at max level according to the computer. Pretty sure the symbol in the pic means next oil change Feb 2013 or 30,000 kms from now.

Redlyne_mr2
03-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Ya I would see if you can get that updated. In Europe where their climates are less harsh their oil changes frequencies are much longer. i believe its every 2 years or 30 000kms.