PDA

View Full Version : Fox News banned in Canada!

Godfuader
03-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Fox News will not be permitted into Canada because lying is forbidden. :rofl: :rofl:

Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canada regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada's right wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news." The provision has kept Fox News and right wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedom.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/fox-news-will-not-be-moving-into-canada-after-all_b_829473.html?ref=fb&src=sp

I know it's not very 'free-speech' or democratic of Canada to ban a certain type of News, but its still pretty funny that Fox News is considered false and misleading.

ZenOps
03-02-2011, 10:29 PM
The US shot Bieber. I think that struck a nerve.

If Geneva can ban and call Bush illegal, we can ban tabloid sensationalist and violent propoganda.

The US "news" does lie... A lot. Arguably as much as 40 years ago.

China here we come!

BerserkerCatSplat
03-02-2011, 11:09 PM
efforts by Canada's right wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news

Whut? Man, HoffPo is sadly becoming a liberal version of Fox.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/02/25/crtc-false-news.html

The motion to consider repealing the law was put in force 10 years ago, when Chretien was in power, not Harper. Harper also had little or nothing to do with the committee itself, it was co-chaired by a Liberal MP.

Xtrema
03-02-2011, 11:38 PM
^ The extremes on either end doesn't like the truth.

They liked their version better.

01RedDX
03-03-2011, 12:05 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
03-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm sure you can see how inflammatory and intentionally misleading that heading is. I'm also quite sure you know that "inflammatory and misleading" is SOP for FOX, hence my comparison.

Poor journalism aside, I find it hard to believe that a Liberal MP would suddenly cover for Harper if he was behind the push, especially when that kind of information would be nothing but ammunition for the Liberal party in the (possible) upcoming election.

01RedDX
03-03-2011, 12:27 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
03-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Not sure which heading you referred to. If you mean "Regulators Reject Proposal That Would Bring Fox-Style News to Canada" then I see it as being neither inflammatory nor misleading.

Heading, not headline. I was referring to the first paragraph in the HuffPo article, here's the full text:

As America's middle class battles for its survival on the Wisconsin barricades -- against various Koch Oil surrogates and the corporate toadies at Fox News -- fans of enlightenment, democracy and justice can take comfort from a significant victory north of Wisconsin border. Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canada regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada's right wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

"Enlightenment and justice" chest-thumping aside, it's pretty much fluff and a swing at Harper. Harper certainly deserves to have shots taken at him for many issues, but the idea that he somehow spearheaded this thing is baloney, and HuffPo knows it. They took the opportunity to demonize the "right wing" regardless of country, rather than doing readers a favour and reporting the situation accurately.

I guess what gets me is that I really used to enjoy Huffington Post articles, but their slow slide into sensationalism is disappointing to say the least.

I guess they could have said MSNBC instead of Fox, because of their leftist slant, but Fox is a much better example since they're so much more batshit than anyone else. Degrees matter. [/B]

Yeah, I can't really guess at what the news station was supposed to have been like, but to be as bad as Fox, you've gotta be trying. I'm damn happy they kept the law in place.

Zephyr
03-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Too bad America won't ban faux news ..

01RedDX
03-03-2011, 01:14 AM

CUG
03-03-2011, 02:40 AM
^Still though, that Orly idiot should be arrested.

SmAcKpOo
03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
What does Stephen Harper have to do with this?

Is he seriously considering repealing that law?

Tomaz
03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Fox News will not be permitted into Canada because lying is forbidden. :rofl: :rofl:

If this was Facebook, I would "like" this post. :thumbsup:

st184
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Canada blows.

Modelexis
03-03-2011, 08:17 PM
LOL @ the government condemning lying.

I guess the Canadian government wants exclusive rights to lie to the general public. :)

kertejud2
03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Anything preventing Sun media from expanding to television is a good example of why government intervention can be both good and necessary. We're fortunate enough that Sun readers are illiterate so it would be nothing short of disastrous for them to actually be told what their crappy viewpoints should be from a television channel.

Duckman
03-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Fox News is the #1 highest rated cable news network in the US and consistently outdraws #2 and #3 put together.
So if it is so full of shit evil and there's so many more smart people than mouth breathin sister fucking hicks, who the fuck is watching it? :dunno:

Besides if it is banned by government decree maybe somebody should tell Shaw Cable so they can remove it (channel 142) from their listings?

David Suzuki can come and put his cock in my kids mouth but please keep the bad TV show away 'cause me too stoopid to know how to change channel.

Godfuader
03-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Duckman
Fox News is the #1 highest rated cable news network in the US and consistently outdraws #2 and #3 put together.
So if it is so full of shit evil and there's so many more smart people than mouth breathin sister fucking hicks, who the fuck is watching it? :dunno:

It's Americans we are talking about. The entire planet knows how "smart" an average American is. Appeal to the lowest intelligence demographic, and for the US it comes out as the majority.

kertejud2
03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Duckman

The mouth breathing hicks. Smart people are smart enough to not watch any of them.

Besides if it is banned by government decree maybe somebody should tell Shaw Cable so they can remove it (channel 142) from their listings?
It's a shitty article that showed an incredible bias in the interpretation of what the ruling actually means. Fox News isn't banned from being broadcast here, it's name is associated with the Sun TV News that was trying to start up at the same time as Harper was trying to get this law changed. It's a law that applies to Canadian news, not American analysts talking about the news (I think that's what FOX and MSNBC say they do when they yell and shout about partisan nonsense).

Basically the author took the ruling to mean that Fox News was blocked when the ruling had nothing to do with them. It affects a "Fox News-type channel" (apparently) and that's about it.

broken_legs
03-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

Basically the author took the ruling to mean that Fox News was blocked when the ruling had nothing to do with them. It affects a "Fox News-type channel" (apparently) and that's about it.

Some rich as Quebec guy was trying to start equivalent of Fox News North...

OTTAWA—The details of a plan to launch a conservative television network will finally be revealed after much talk about what it could mean for political journalism in this country.

Pierre Karl Péladeau, the billionaire media tycoon who heads Quebecor Inc. and its subsidiaries, is expected to unveil his plans Tuesday for what the competition has already dubbed ‘Fox News North’, an English-language 24-hour all-news network modelled after the provocative ratings success below the border.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/823283--plans-for-fox-news-north-to-be-unveiled-tuesday

I believe this is what spurred the ruling no?

kertejud2
03-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Some rich as Quebec guy was trying to start equivalent of Fox News North...

I believe this is what spurred the ruling no?
More or less. Its why the HP writer seemed to run with the 'Fox News' aspect rather than the actual details of the ruling.