PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen R32

Euro_Trash
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Was the MKIV and/or MKV R32 any good? You don't seem to hear about them much. They have plenty of aftermarket support, capable of 400+ HP. You can find the MKV with the DSG transmission. Do people just end up ignoring them for the S4/STI/Evo?

Tik-Tok
03-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Not very popular here because it was was never sold in Canada, and wasn't until a couple of years ago, with the bumper law change, that you could even import one.

sputnik
03-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Unless you absolutely NEED 4Motion... in Calgary you are better off chipping a turbo GTI.

heavyD
03-03-2011, 10:07 AM
They are considerably more money for only marginally more performance than the GTI.

adidas
03-03-2011, 10:51 AM
i think they are meant for a true vw enthusiast, otherwise if u want a vw just get the gti

J-hop
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
nothing beats the 3.2 vr though. Checkout C2 motorsports, nuff said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkoCf_El460

zipdoa
03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
3.2 VR6 with 4motion? Unbeatable combination.

DBP with Black leather interior is the best color combo.

Definitely paying quite a premium for one because they're scarce, but if funds permit than I would definitely pull the trigger. Certainly a more exciting car versus an A3.

HiTempguy1
03-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Certainly a more exciting car versus an A3.

Agreed, Audi fell off the boat not offering a manual 6 speed awd A3.

Oh, and the ultimate R32? Put a 1.8T in it, bolts right in. Larger turdbo, injectors, rods, plus a unitronic tune and you are at 400whp! Yeehaw!

Errol.
03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by adidas
i think they are meant for a true vw enthusiast, otherwise if u want a vw just get the gti

This, especially for the premium they get in Canada.

A chipped gti will be faster than a r32 in calgary and will have basicly everything the same.

danno
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
there's a mkv r32 for sale on eurodrivers.ca right now for 27k or 28k. that's about 8k more than a gti of the same year. when the r20 comes it will compete with the sti and evo, it will lose in alomst every comparison though due to lack of power. the interior is way better though.

Ekliptix
03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I think the awd is great, especially for Calgary. The exhaust note from the R32 is awesome too (this coming from a V8 guy). The interior is also the best available in any Golf.

btimbit
03-03-2011, 07:32 PM
VR6 > Any other VW. Especially the 3.2 you get in that. It's expensive, so for enthusiasts only. Unless you're sure you want it, you'd be better off with a 24V 2.8, although they're a little rare now as well.

Cos
03-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Is the R32 a sick car? Yes

Is it a sick car for the premium they pull? No

My cousin works at SSFC and was selling his R32 there a while ago. It is nice but I think he was asking $26,000. :eek:

ekguy
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
vwvortex is full of them at decent prices. Just make the effort to bring one up and you should be fine.

slinkie
03-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Saw one a while ago on 17th. Asked him if it was real since I didn't know they were importable (not a big vw fan). Sounded great and very rare car here IMO

tawheed
03-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I just sold my MKIV earlier last year, brought it up one owner mint car.. It really was pretty sweet..

With VW you get luxury and quality you'll just never get in an Evo or a STi, and I had an Evo 8 before the R32.

The R32 is still more of a GT car in my mind than a sports car.. it's definitely fast but it's also heavy.. I still think it handled and steered better than the 06 WRX I had. It sounded better than any of the other 30 or so vehicles I've owned as well (stock)

The haldex 4motion unit is a lot different though than most other AWD platforms, it's basically more FWD.

Just my .02

J-hop
03-04-2011, 01:23 AM
^ keep in mind there are different haldex tuning options to balance out the power distribution, I haven't really looked too far into it (as I don't have an R32) but I believe they are pretty cost effective.

Euro_Trash
03-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by tawheed
With VW you get luxury and quality you'll just never get in an Evo or a STi, and I had an Evo 8 before the R32.

That's my issue at the moment - I am looking for a new daily, but I don't think I could handle the rental-car interior on the Evo and STi (dash stroker I believe is the term). The R32 definitely has the interior, but the performance is a little lacking...

heavyD
03-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
VR6 > Any other VW. Especially the 3.2 you get in that. It's expensive, so for enthusiasts only. Unless you're sure you want it, you'd be better off with a 24V 2.8, although they're a little rare now as well.

I don't know about that. My brother has that engine w/DSG in his A3 Quattro S-Line which is almost a twin car to the R32. It has decent torque but doesn't feel all that powerful especially compared to lesser cars like the WRX and MS3.

Aleks
03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Is the R32 a sick car? Yes

Is it a sick car for the premium they pull? No

My cousin works at SSFC and was selling his R32 there a while ago. It is nice but I think he was asking $26,000. :eek:

You could argue the same with STI over WRX, EVO or Ralliart, M3 over 335 etc. Just the AWD, and the VR6 is more than worth it to some people. VR6 more for the sound than actual performance, as it does really sound amazing in person.

sillysod
03-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

I don't know about that. My brother has that engine w/DSG in his A3 Quattro S-Line which is almost a twin car to the R32. It has decent torque but doesn't feel all that powerful especially compared to lesser cars like the WRX and MS3.

Pretty much have to get a turbo car if you want to make a VW/Audi fast. They are way more tuneable then their N/A motors, but on the other hand if you don't screw around with the N/A motors (3.2L etc) they last for ever.

You can get superchargers etc, but at the end of the day a 2.0T with a big turbo kit will walk pretty much anything in their lineup.

zipdoa
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Agreed, Audi fell off the boat not offering a manual 6 speed awd A3.

Oh, and the ultimate R32? Put a 1.8T in it, bolts right in. Larger turdbo, injectors, rods, plus a unitronic tune and you are at 400whp! Yeehaw!

1.8T might save you some weight and make the car a little more competitive in autocross, but nothing can touch a VR6.

It is by far the best 6-cylinder engine available. Smoothness of an I6 but nearly as compact as an I4. Not to mention it produces one of the best exhaust notes I've ever heard.

It's not uncommon to squeeze 750hp out of the 3.2.

Here's a 600WHP 12v 2.8 VR6. Lots of love for 12v VR's in the Porsche community, especially in the 944.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/frosfedrado/DSC01995.jpg

Euro_Trash
03-04-2011, 12:39 PM

It is by far the best 6-cylinder engine available. Smoothness of an I6 but nearly as compact as an I4. Not to mention it produces one of the best exhaust notes I've ever heard.

Yeah the sound is wicked - the best explanation I've heard for the exhaust note is Chewbacca having an orgasm

tawheed
03-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

Yeah the sound is wicked - the best explanation I've heard for the exhaust note is Chewbacca having an orgasm

Yep, I tie wrapped the flapper vacuum hose soon after I got it and it sounded awesome all the time. No need for aftermarket exhaust unless you wanna cut weight.

Performance wise, I honestly felt it was pretty good. Especially if you're talking about every day, usable power. Lots of torque, no turbo lag, the throttle actually has some sensitivity to it. The 06 WRX I owned had the worst throttle feel I've ever felt in any car. I had to sell the car. In fact the entire car was just numb and pointless. My Evo 8 was definitely sharper in some ways than the R32 but wasn't nearly as comfortable and had no features.

btimbit
03-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

Pretty much have to get a turbo car if you want to make a VW/Audi fast. They are way more tuneable then their N/A motors, but on the other hand if you don't screw around with the N/A motors (3.2L etc) they last for ever.

You can get superchargers etc, but at the end of the day a 2.0T with a big turbo kit will walk pretty much anything in their lineup.

The VR6's aren't that reliable. The 24v was a big improvement over the 12v, but still nothing compared to a 2.0, or the newer 2.5's.

I'm starting to order some bits for my 2.8 24V, We'll see how many 2 for sure. Friend of mine has a built 1.8T, we'll settle this at Race City.

sillysod
03-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Everybody knows the VR6's can be made to be crazy fast.

All I was saying is that for $5000 or so you can have a really quick 1.8T or 2.0T VAG car.

For the amount of $$$ required to build a VR6 I would probably just do a K04'd old school S4.

The Audi 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2L (not VR6) longitudinaly mounted motors in the Passats are conventional 60 degree V6s. Those motors are known to easily do 200,000 MILES with nothing other then the annoying PCV vacuum system replacement every 5 years.

J-hop
03-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

The VR6's aren't that reliable. The 24v was a big improvement over the 12v, but still nothing compared to a 2.0, or the newer 2.5's.

I'm starting to order some bits for my 2.8 24V, We'll see how many 2 for sure. Friend of mine has a built 1.8T, we'll settle this at Race City.

what are you planning for the VR? unfortunately you can not get anything out of these engines with bolt ons. Exhaust, chip, intake (haha), header (oh wait they don't make a 24v header you have to fabricate one from a 12v header) won't add any noticeable hp. So unless you are planning forced induction or some sort of stroker kit etc or a combination your buddy with the 1.8T can go spend $500 on a chip (sounds like he already has) and take you to school.

I love my 24v but a chipped 1.8T will walk all over it in a heartbeat. But, drop the compression on the VR with some forged pistons and add forced induction and these become a force to be reckoned with.

For those of you talking the 1.8T vs VR (or 2.0T for that matter). Yes a 1.8T with bolt ons will out perform a VR with bolt ons any day. But if you are truly going to "build" the 1.8T and get respectable(and reliable numbers) you'll have to open it up and do internal work. At this point you might as well start with a VR base as it is about the same amount of work.

Some people try to claim the replacement for displacement is forced induction. But what they don't comprehend is displacement + forced induction = huge power. The 2.8 VR has a full litre on the 1.8T so you will plateau hp wise with a 1.8T build long before you will with a VR.

btw if you are referring to the NA 2.5L they are slow as hell, the last one I saw run, chipped, was hitting mid/low 17s in the 1/4, a whole 2 seconds slower than the 24v VR

zipdoa
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
On a 12v VR6:

http://home.pacbell.net/kenjis/KenjisRoom/VGiHoses.jpg

+

http://www.braunstadt.com/VW/sell/bonesaw/shrick1.jpg

+

http://www.vf-engineering.com/images/features/giac.gif

+

http://www.autotech.com/images/products/exhaust_sssptund.jpg

+

CAI

=

195Whp

tobypaddock
03-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Everybody knows the VR6's can be made to be crazy fast.

All I was saying is that for $5000 or so you can have a really quick 1.8T or 2.0T VAG car.

For the amount of $$$ required to build a VR6 I would probably just do a K04'd old school S4.

The Audi 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2L (not VR6) longitudinaly mounted motors in the Passats are conventional 60 degree V6s. Those motors are known to easily do 200,000 MILES with nothing other then the annoying PCV vacuum system replacement every 5 years.

THIS

honestly, i think tawheed is giving you the best advice tho, he's giving what sounds like pretty fair analysis on the car, and has actually owned it and other comparable cars at that price point - sounds like you have to decide if you want comfort and features with some decent performance or if you want strictly performance for your DD.

I know i would have a hard time choosing between the r32 and an evo, sti etc as well - but hey, i dont think choosing between any of those cars is too bad of a decision to make at the end of the day:poosie:

J-hop
03-06-2011, 11:39 AM
On a 12v VR6:

+

CAI

=

195Whp

I'd like to see dyno results, you honestly think you are going to get 71 crank hp out of that????

CAI and exhaust won't add any hp (ok maybe 5hp CRANK if you are very lucky), as in most cars the stock intake flows quite well as does the exhaust. cams- I would be surprised if you got more than 20 crank hp. VGI is only going to add low/mid range, although these are great, no significant max hp gain will really be achieved. Chip will maybe give you a 10 (crank) hp increase. So assuming 20% drivetrain loss I get 167 WHP. Do you by chance mean crank hp? I would believe you if you said crank hp. If it was that simple everyone on vortex would have 200whp 12vs, but if you've spent a significant amount of time reading tech articles on the tex you'll see 200whp is a lot harder to achieve on an NA 12v than that.

For reference a stage 1 VF supercharged kit will put down about 200whp, so I am wondering how the above bolt ons are supposed to match adding 6lbs of boost?

sillysod
03-06-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm using pricing from CTS Turbo which a lot of the VAG guys use.

1.8T (A4)
+
GT2871R Eliminator Turbo Kit ($1500)
+
Software ($700)
+
Injectors ($300)
+
Intercooler ($1000)
=
$3500 for a 400hp 1.8T.

VR6 (24V)
+
Roto T67 Turbo Kit ($3900)
+
Software ($900)
+
Injectors ($500)
+
Intercooler ($1000)
=
$6300 for a 400hp 24V VR6

Keep in mind that you are still going to need to probably have to upgrade a bunch of other stuff including brakes, clutch, exhaust.

With the 1.8T you are generally around 1/2 the cost to build up to the 400hp range.

If your budget is unlimited and cost is of no concern then its a totally different ball game as the 1.8T block is only capable of around 600awhp.

veedubin69
03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
We have a few VW 'experts' here.

Are the R32 models selling for more than they're worth, YES.

They are super rare (only 5000 sent to the US) and VW only made 4 colors in the R32, tornado red being only 10% or production makes them even more money.

What you're getting yourself into is only for those who appreciate a well built car in every aspect including the interior feel. I have five R32 customers that only come in for routine maintenance, and no problems.

R20 is worth holding out for, it has 270HP rather than the 200HP on other 2.0T models.

BTW you can make anything fast, recently one of my friends converted his GTI into an 'R' by swapping in the Audi TT drivetrain (same as R32), it bolts up and the Haldex is on a potentiometer dial for full control, I think he spent less than $5K.

Good Luck!

danno
03-06-2011, 04:11 PM
r20 is coming over with 250hp. so not that exciting, when you chip it though it will be over 300.

btimbit
03-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

I'd like to see dyno results, you honestly think you are going to get 71 crank hp out of that????

CAI and exhaust won't add any hp (ok maybe 5hp CRANK if you are very lucky), as in most cars the stock intake flows quite well as does the exhaust. cams- I would be surprised if you got more than 20 crank hp. VGI is only going to add low/mid range, although these are great, no significant max hp gain will really be achieved. Chip will maybe give you a 10 (crank) hp increase. So assuming 20% drivetrain loss I get 167 WHP. Do you by chance mean crank hp? I would believe you if you said crank hp. If it was that simple everyone on vortex would have 200whp 12vs, but if you've spent a significant amount of time reading tech articles on the tex you'll see 200whp is a lot harder to achieve on an NA 12v than that.

For reference a stage 1 VF supercharged kit will put down about 200whp, so I am wondering how the above bolt ons are supposed to match adding 6lbs of boost?

You're right, 195whp on a 12v is definitely untrue. Even crank hp that's a bit of a push. A 24v with every bolt on, cams, and a 'chip', will barely make 195whp. Even a high compression n/a build will barely clear 200whp

Originally posted by J-hop

what are you planning for the VR? unfortunately you can not get anything out of these engines with bolt ons. Exhaust, chip, intake (haha), header (oh wait they don't make a 24v header you have to fabricate one from a 12v header) won't add any noticeable hp. So unless you are planning forced induction or some sort of stroker kit etc or a combination your buddy with the 1.8T can go spend $500 on a chip (sounds like he already has) and take you to school.

I love my 24v but a chipped 1.8T will walk all over it in a heartbeat. But, drop the compression on the VR with some forged pistons and add forced induction and these become a force to be reckoned with.

For those of you talking the 1.8T vs VR (or 2.0T for that matter). Yes a 1.8T with bolt ons will out perform a VR with bolt ons any day. But if you are truly going to "build" the 1.8T and get respectable(and reliable numbers) you'll have to open it up and do internal work. At this point you might as well start with a VR base as it is about the same amount of work.

Some people try to claim the replacement for displacement is forced induction. But what they don't comprehend is displacement + forced induction = huge power. The 2.8 VR has a full litre on the 1.8T so you will plateau hp wise with a 1.8T build long before you will with a VR.

btw if you are referring to the NA 2.5L they are slow as hell, the last one I saw run, chipped, was hitting mid/low 17s in the 1/4, a whole 2 seconds slower than the 24v VR

I have all the 'bolt-ons' currently, except header since there's no point in doing that on a 24v. I'm thinking GT3582R, with all the goodies that go along with that. I've still got a few more questions for Clay at CTS regarding prices, but that's the plan so far, IE rods and JE pistons, Uni 630cc file. What my friend has in the 1.8T is a Roto t67, IE rods, forged pistons, w/m injection, etc.

A bone stock 24v and a chipped 1.8T will be almost exactly neck in neck. I've 'tested' this with a few different ones, both on dyno's and on the track. 1.8 will feel faster, because of the turbo, but it generally isn't actually any further ahead. You can also do a 'mild' build, 320hp ish, to a 1.8T without having to do internals, they're surprisingly strong from the factory. Not sure how 24v internals do from factory, I know of some people with $3500 setups running around 350hp. I wouldn't do that myself, but it hold ups.

And that 2.5 is sloooow as hell, but the damn thing is almost indestructible. I was talking in terms of reliability. Especially when I said 24v being an improvement over the 12v.

But yes, a proper build with 400hp+ will generally cost a few thousand dollars less on a 1.8 than a VR. But the way I see it, it's worth the few extra thousand, because VR's are a hell of a lot cooler.

Originally posted by veedubin69

BTW you can make anything fast, recently one of my friends converted his GTI into an 'R' by swapping in the Audi TT drivetrain (same as R32), it bolts up and the Haldex is on a potentiometer dial for full control, I think he spent less than $5K.

Good Luck!

Really? That is very cool. All I've seen people do is order parts from the Bora 4motion, but that always ended up costing more the $5k. And then not working because 90% of vwvortex is fucking retarded

J-hop
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
sounds like you know what you are doing, I apologize, as from some of the comments (other peoples) in this thread I thought you were going to be another guy claiming to be putting down 300whp with a Cold air intake and exhaust on his VR.

I know what you mean about the "reliable" 300hp, there are a ton of guys running hack job 1.8T "builds" around town. I've seen several people claiming the stock turbo is efficient at 20+ psi:rolleyes: :rolleyes: and think they can get away with just cranking the boost and throwing fuel at it. Seems to be the tuner way these days as I see a similar trend in the subaru and nissan crowd.

seems a "build" these days is a 3 step process:

1) crank boost
2) throw fuel at it
3) claim its "reliable"

btimbit
03-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I know what you mean. Not too familiar with any in town, but that sure seems to be the trend on the internet. Chipped 1.8's seem really quirky to me, most of the ones I see have common boost spikes to 27psi, and that's not with an mbc, that's just how weird some of these files are. That certainly doesn't sound very reliable to me. then again these are generally the people that also have "low with sick rimz, brah"

Every tuner crowd is full of people that think cutting corners is worthwhile, and don't realize that it's a damn expensive hobby.

audimaniaR8
03-06-2011, 08:55 PM

If your budget is unlimited and cost is of no concern then its a totally different ball game as the 1.8T block is only capable of around 600awhp.

1.8t is capable of far more than that

uCypWA911jE

that car has around 980WHP, so it would be a bit less for awd, but way faster without the wheelspin.

1.8t + awd is an awesome combination, but i'd rather be listening to this (same engine/drivetrain as the r32)

beOFXcCj9O0

u0ye3qNyCkw

Kg810
03-13-2011, 04:12 PM
How much do you guys think is too much for a MKV R32?

Let's say max 50k km, no accidents and no mods. What is the max you'd pay for one?

danno
03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
i wouldn't buy one, i'd wait for the r20 then you get full warranty and a brand new car. people are selling the r32 for about 30k i saw one for 27k was the cheapest i've seen. they are all 08's a fair price to me would be 24-25k, but i still wouldn't buy one. my 07 gti i wouldn't let that go for anything less then 18k which i don't think i could get. if your spending 30k on a r32 might as well spend 40-42 on the r20, assuming that's how much it is.

Kg810
03-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by danno
i wouldn't buy one, i'd wait for the r20 then you get full warranty and a brand new car. people are selling the r32 for about 30k i saw one for 27k was the cheapest i've seen. they are all 08's a fair price to me would be 24-25k, but i still wouldn't buy one. my 07 gti i wouldn't let that go for anything less then 18k which i don't think i could get. if your spending 30k on a r32 might as well spend 40-42 on the r20, assuming that's how much it is.

Yeah I guess, but no DSG is a deal breaker for some one like me.

If the price is right on the r20, I'd probably consider it, but if it's overpriced and no DSG then there's no way I'd want one.

max_boost
03-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Kg810

Yeah I guess, but no DSG is a deal breaker for some one like me.

If the price is right on the r20, I'd probably consider it, but if it's overpriced and no DSG then there's no way I'd want one. :werd:

danno
03-13-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't mind the 6spd I just want the right price. I need a 4 door at the right price to convince me to get rid of the gti. They are comin as 4 door so that's good. I'm hoping the price is 40-41 otd then I may buy one. So many good cars out there for that price so I won't complain if I don't get one. I like the rarity factor though.