PDA

View Full Version : Perf. Brake pads. what do you use/ which are the best...

hjr
01-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Im trying to source out a good set of pads. I thought this poll would be interesting. What is the most used brand? Which type of pad in that brand (EBC green, red, blue, yellow stuff)? Best pad for the dollar?

GT2NV
01-11-2004, 10:32 PM
heh i use napa performance ones:dunno: i got a deal on em cause i work there, they work damn good too:D

hearse
01-11-2004, 11:59 PM
what's the difference between yellow stuff, blue stuff, green stuff...

JAYMEZ
01-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Brimbo Breaks :D

silverEL
01-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
someone is gifted at spelling
"brembo"

:D

GTS Jeff
01-12-2004, 12:30 AM
i think ebc only has red and green....one of them is street and the other race - i dont remember which tho.

for brake pads im looking at either project mu titan kai or endless pads.....but they dont do volkswagen :D

GTS Jeff
01-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Brimbo Breaks :D too expensive for most people...

itsnotaDUB
01-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Mintex, great pads...

THREE40SEVEN
01-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Hawk HP plus...
Good street compound/little or no noise/little brake dust..

CalgaryB5
01-12-2004, 10:08 AM
IMO the following pads

Mintex Redbox-No good because not much performance increase than stock stopper
Mintex Bluebox~M1144 compound-Good but the dust
EBC Green Stuff-Good
PBR Metal Master-Good

PBR Ceramic-plan to try
Ferodo DS2500-plan to put in to my 4-pot Wilwood stopper

T5_X
01-12-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm using PBR metal master pads. They seem to work well, I mainly got them because of thier reputation, very low amounts of dust and a 40,000 mile warranty. Their good for a daily driver, but for a pure race application I dont know.

redline
01-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Hawk and Carbotech are the only pads to have!

hjr
01-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i think ebc only has red and green....one of them is street and the other race - i dont remember which tho.

for brake pads im looking at either project mu titan kai or endless pads.....but they dont do volkswagen :D naw dude, EBC makes 4 compounds. i forgot about PBR.

buh_buh
01-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN
Hawk HP plus...
Good street compound/little or no noise/little brake dust.. wow really? I'm using the Hawk HP plus too and mine dust like CRAZY.
Like after 1 day of normal driving my wheels are like gunmetal.

CelicaST-162
01-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Raybestos=Black wheels :D

Dirty_SOHC
01-12-2004, 04:25 PM
I use PBR for my last 2 sets, decent pads and they hold a fair amount of abuse:)

three.eighteen.
01-12-2004, 04:32 PM
EBC Yellow and Blue are both race pads, blues are supposed to last longer than yellows

speedracer
01-12-2004, 05:23 PM
I'd have t say it depend on the application and your preferance.

Anyway here is my opinion:

OEM: I still perfer OEM they were designed with Track use. It's a shame they cost $23X a pair.

PBR Ceramic- Bleh didn't like them at all

EBC - Red - Not for track usage they only last 2 events and then started to peel. :(
(They now have a warning stating tha it's not for track use :banghead: )

HP Plus: Dust and squeak like crazy. Great for AutoX and Track (IMO requires some scrubbing after a track day)

Hawk Blue: very scary at the start until after a good run at turn 1. Tons of brake dust. Not Rotor friendly. Not recommended for AutoX... heh for some reason you don't stop and the same can be said for the street.

Crappy Tire Premium: Ok for a few light sprints ;) as a spare.

hockeybronx
01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey Jaymez all you had to do was type two words and you spelt zero out of two correctly. It's "Brembo brakes", not "Brimbo Breaks"

You are right however, I've heard Brembo are the best.

GSR Zero
01-13-2004, 09:34 AM
I'm running Hawk HPS on my fronts. Haven't had any problems with dust or squeaking, but they do take a bit to warm up.

For my rears, I'm running KVR pads. Not bad, cheap at only $60.00 a pair. Haven't had any problems with dust or squeaking either.

;)

Ducati
01-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Stock Mercedes Benz brake pads produce great volumes of corrosive black dust that has pitted my alloy wheels. I must now bead blast the wheels and refinish them. I'm not pleased.

What will work? I run a relatively low horesepower (compared to a gasser) turbodiesel, but the car weighs 3600 lbs, so although I do not need "racing brakes" I do want stoppers that will haul this tank down from speed. However I do not want the black brake dust again.

With my motorcycle I use scintered metallic Ferodo pads. They also keep the brake discs looking good, and seem to get durability out of them, since the Ferodo's last almost twice as long as SBS pads. However, I have not been hanging out at car parts shops for twenty years, so I don't know if Ferodo makes pads for Mercedes. Are there any other makes that will work well?

I would like scintered metallic pads, however should find out if these are ok to use with stock brake discs.

What about kevlar brake lines? I really would like to have great brakes, but I am not fitting a quadrant of expensive Brembo's or AMG/Bosch onto a 134 hp sedan. Any other ideas?

Sky
01-14-2004, 01:26 AM
I heard AEM pads are good for dust not showing up on the wheels because of the color. I have a set waiting to be installed on my next brake upgrade....should be better than OEM I hope. Cheap too!

rice_eater
01-14-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by speedracer
I'd have t say it depend on the application and your preferance.

Anyway here is my opinion:

OEM: I still perfer OEM they were designed with Track use. It's a shame they cost $23X a pair.

PBR Ceramic- Bleh didn't like them at all

EBC - Red - Not for track usage they only last 2 events and then started to peel. :(
(They now have a warning stating tha it's not for track use :banghead: )

HP Plus: Dust and squeak like crazy. Great for AutoX and Track (IMO requires some scrubbing after a track day)

Hawk Blue: very scary at the start until after a good run at turn 1. Tons of brake dust. Not Rotor friendly. Not recommended for AutoX... heh for some reason you don't stop and the same can be said for the street.

Crappy Tire Premium: Ok for a few light sprints ;) as a spare.

what do you use?

Illusionsir
01-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Sky
I heard AEM pads are good for dust not showing up on the wheels because of the color. I have a set waiting to be installed on my next brake upgrade....should be better than OEM I hope. Cheap too!

This is true. partially (sp) I found when the pads were brand new it seemed to still give off visible brake dust. after about a month they dont do it anymore!

Ducati
01-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Great. AEM's make the list.
Are they rotor friendly? Do they actually work well?

Any others worth considering?
Does Ferodo make automotive brake pads?

DSM Power
01-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Come on dude, no Porterfields?! :whipped: :dunno:

Fuji
01-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by silverEL

"brembo"

you are gifter too "brakes" != "breaks"

buh_buh
01-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

you are gifter too "brakes" != "breaks" gifter?:rofl:

silverEL
01-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by silverEL

"brembo"

Originally posted by Fuji

you are gifter too "brakes" != "breaks"

Originally posted by buh_buh
gifter?:rofl:
WTF???? :dunno: :dunno:

CalgaryB5
01-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Ducati
Does Ferodo make automotive brake pads?

Yes. Ferodo UK (http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo%5Fhome/)

redline
01-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
Come on dude, no Porterfields?! :whipped: :dunno:

porterfields are over rated and too much money for what you get!

redline
01-16-2004, 01:11 PM
wow really? I'm using the Hawk HP plus too and mine dust like CRAZY.

no shit, they are reason i just bought gunmetel wheels

buh_buh
01-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by redline

no shit, they are reason i just bought gunmetel wheels :rofl: why not just ghetto paint them? ie let the brakedust do the work? :D

Anyone have any suggestions for a pad that doesn't dust as much as the HP+ but still has somewhat substantial stopping power (I don't expect a pad to have good braking power but not dust). I'm willing to give up a little braking power for a little less dust.

Redlyne_mr2
01-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Anyone here use endless or project-u pads?

speedracer
01-17-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater

what do you use?
HP+ 1776 (Street / AutoX/ some road course) and HP Blue (Road course)

Originally posted by redline

porterfields are over rated and too much money for what you get!
My 2 cents,
I drove (a friends ACR) on a set of porterfields in Vancouver race track and it felt just like HP + and they seem to cost the same...

:rofl: why not just ghetto paint them? ie let the brakedust do the work? :D

It does wonders until you change wheels :( heh speaking from experience.... :D

Anyone have any suggestions for a pad that doesn't dust as much as the HP+ but still has somewhat substantial stopping power .....
Carbon metalic I hear is simular (but this is hear say)

B18C
01-17-2004, 04:27 AM
wow really? I'm using the Hawk HP plus too and mine dust like CRAZY.

I also have the Hawk HP plus. They are pretty good but create tons of brake dust.

Tuner1
01-17-2004, 10:03 AM
I love brake pads and have lots of answers, but this thread grew some legs of it's own and headed off in a strange direction ;)

There are lots of good brakes pads, but before anyone can recommend which would be best it is vital to know what kind of car they will be used on, climate, intended useage, etc.

Hawk HT-10s are amazing pads....for a 3100lb race car on the track. Repco Deluxe pads are also good, for a 3000lb luxury car that your mom drives and the list goes on...

Please provide more details and accurate suggestions will follow!

Rob
www.tunerworks.com