PDA

View Full Version : Haskayne Part time mba

desi112
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Hello,

I am applying for admission into the part-time mba program at the UofC. I am currently debating between the morning and evening program. I am most definitely leaning towards the morning program, as you don't have to kick around downtown till ~10pm, but the next intake is in January, where as the evening program's next intake is in September.

Is anyone here currently enrolled in the MBA program at the UofC? part-time full-time, or have completed the program.

I am looking for reviews, advice and just your general experience.

Cheers!

desi112
03-08-2011, 10:40 AM
no body eh? common guys

benyl
03-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Do yourself a favour and do the executive program. I did the part time and worked full time (you are actually a full-time student as you take 3 classes / semester).

You will have no life for 3-4 years doing part time.

desi112
03-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Do yourself a favour and do the executive program. I did the part time and worked full time (you are actually a full-time student as you take 3 classes / semester).

You will have no life for 3-4 years doing part time.

Hey Benyl,

The EMBA requires much more experience then the part-time MBA. So that is not an option.

Did you do the evening or morning program? And how much "homework" is there to do?

Thanks in advance,

7thgenvic
03-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Why not just take a year off and enjoy a MBA program somewhere else?

desi112
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
Why not just take a year off and enjoy a MBA program somewhere else?

Many reasons:

Marriage only a year in

Bought a new house
------------------------------------

I guess two reasons.

benyl
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
There was no morning program when I did it (finished in April 2009).

Expect at least 20 hours / week of homework on top of class time.

benyl
03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by desi112

Many reasons:

Marriage only a year in

Bought a new house
------------------------------------

I guess two reasons.

MBAs is a high cause of divorce... haha

desi112
03-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey Benyl thanks for the input.

Couple more questions if you would oblige.

How was the experience in a nutshell?

Were your classes at the DT campus on the main campus?

And are there exams for each course.

Again TIA>

CUG
03-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I know a girl taking her MBA at night. She's hot as hell, but I'm glad I'm not dating her.

sk8r3124
03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I am doing my Full-time MBA as we speak (Sitting in Finance class right now). I heard that the morning MBA program didn't get the numbers they were hoping for.

As of next Sept, I am switching over to part-time as I found an MBA internship. I have an elective where I am the only daytime student, and it is very hard to coordinate people. Night classes take up 3 of your nights a week, so getting together is hard when working on deliverables. The whole MBA experience is focused on working in teams, there is minimal individual work.

That being said, doing the DT morning program could be exceptionally difficult as with so much team based work, I suspect organizing deliverables would be the hardest with that program.

sk8r3124
03-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I know a girl taking her MBA at night. She's hot as hell, but I'm glad I'm not dating her.

Name???
Description?

broken_legs
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by sk8r3124

Name???
Description?

Pics??

E90_330xi
03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I did the night program before there was an morning option. It was pretty intense working all day then going to class until 9:30 (i got in before the co-hort program came in)

In a nutshell...the program was decent and I basically got out of it what I put in. When I had fewer work constraints I put more effort into the MBA and vice versa. Also, you have to decide if you're going to major in anything. People that majored in the finance MBA had a lot more work to do (at least in my experience) than those doing a general MBA.

The one thing I found was that there weren't a ton of "finals. There were papers or major group projects that were always due at the end of the semsester for the majority of courses. I found the finance and accounting based courses always had a final exam.

Honestly, if you're not working then it doesn't matter what you pick. I found that people taking the night classes were easier to deal with. everyone understood that people had time constraints and weren't able to meet all the time to work on projects. I took some classes with the day program MBA's and the majority of them were pretty anal. (Had to work on their time, very competetive, etc...), but they got their shit done.

adidas
03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by CUG

cool starry bra

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Cool-Starry-Bra.jpg

smc
03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I am starting the evening MBA program this September. I am sure this plus one full time job and one part time job will keep me quite busy.

desi112
03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by E90_330xi
I did the night program before there was an morning option. It was pretty intense working all day then going to class until 9:30 (i got in before the co-hort program came in)

In a nutshell...the program was decent and I basically got out of it what I put in. When I had fewer work constraints I put more effort into the MBA and vice versa. Also, you have to decide if you're going to major in anything. People that majored in the finance MBA had a lot more work to do (at least in my experience) than those doing a general MBA.

The one thing I found was that there weren't a ton of "finals. There were papers or major group projects that were always due at the end of the semsester for the majority of courses. I found the finance and accounting based courses always had a final exam.

Honestly, if you're not working then it doesn't matter what you pick. I found that people taking the night classes were easier to deal with. everyone understood that people had time constraints and weren't able to meet all the time to work on projects. I took some classes with the day program MBA's and the majority of them were pretty anal. (Had to work on their time, very competetive, etc...), but they got their shit done.

Hey thanks man, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Again thank sman

desi112
03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by smc
I am starting the evening MBA program this September. I am sure this plus one full time job and one part time job will keep me quite busy.

pmd

benyl
03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by E90_330xi
I took some classes with the day program MBA's and the majority of them were pretty anal. (Had to work on their time, very competetive, etc...), but they got their shit done.

Very competitive is an understatement. It was like being in undergrad when I had class with day time people.

The evening people "get it." Most of the day timers (not all) are people who couldn't get a job or failed out of one. That is why they have the time to go full time.

The evening people, in general, are more mature (in mentality and age) and are doing this to supplement their career, not define it.

benyl
03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Hey Benyl thanks for the input.

Couple more questions if you would oblige.

How was the experience in a nutshell?

Were your classes at the DT campus on the main campus?

And are there exams for each course.

Again TIA>

Nutshell:

It was good. Good for knowledge on how business "should" work. Not necessarily how real businesses operate. I do read news differently. Critical thinking is a must. If you don't know how to do it, you might have a hard time.

Main campus.

Not all classes had a final. Many of the HR courses only had papers and a group project. Get used to working in a group.

I would also suggest you do spring/summer if you can hack it. Doing block week courses at the beginning of each semester is a great way to get things out of the way (if they still offer it).

Take Business Negotiations with Loren Falkenberg. It is easy, will help you in life and business and she is a great prof. In your papers, telling her the most obvious things is what she is looking for. It seems that it isn't obvious to everybody.

jazzyb
03-09-2011, 03:54 PM

M.alex
03-10-2011, 02:39 AM
As a side-note I was reading the UofC's site and noticed they had an executive global energy MBA program where you travel all over the world (UK, Asia, etc.. etc...) taking courses ..... I wonder how much $$$$$$$$^$$$$$$$$$$$$ they're charging for that one, lol

edit: found it, around $250k, lulz

desi112
03-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
As a side-note I was reading the UofC's site and noticed they had an executive global energy MBA program where you travel all over the world (UK, Asia, etc.. etc...) taking courses ..... I wonder how much $$$$$$$$^$$$$$$$$$$$$ they're charging for that one, lol

edit: found it, around $250k, lulz

no its $57K man, I went to their presentation yesterday.

I guess I'll be doing the evening on campus program that starts in fall. Time to move to downtown i guess.

7thgenvic
03-10-2011, 09:05 AM
The Executive Glob Energy program is only 57? Sounds sweet.

Now have most of you that are taking your MBA's at U of C done Undergraduate Degrees in Business?

desi112
03-10-2011, 09:10 AM

Now have most of you that are taking your MBA's at U of C done Undergraduate Degrees in Business?

sweet, but requires 15years of exp.

My undergrad is geophysics.

E90_330xi
03-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Not sure if you're looking at the right program

They did a presentation for us at work. it's a joint energy program between IHS-CERA and Haskayne

Cost is about $105K per year

http://www.schoolfinder.com/schools/programDetail.asp?ProgramID=67334&URL=program

Unless they changed the cost for next year, but not sure how it would go that low. If it is 57K i would get in on that one

smc
03-10-2011, 09:57 AM

No, I have a PhD in Microbiology.

M.alex
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM

no its $57K man, I went to their presentation yesterday.

I guess I'll be doing the evening on campus program that starts in fall. Time to move to downtown i guess.

Maybe they lowered it? When I looked it up online it was 105k/yr

sk8r3124
03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Maybe they lowered it? When I looked it up online it was 105k/yr

Nope, They told us about it on our first day
It is definitely 100+K

Im going to end up paying close to 57K for my regular MBA,
so I know that number is wrong.

The reason it is 100+k is because every day of class is taught in a different country.

My undergrad is Economics.

Still looking for that name and description of the nighttime MBA

desi112
03-10-2011, 01:45 PM

It is definitely 100+K

The reason it is 100+k is because every day of class is taught in a different country.

my bad i am probably wrong

M.alex
03-10-2011, 03:32 PM

It is definitely 100+K

60k? Yikes, didn't realize it was that much!

If you're footing the bill (and not a company), I wonder if it is worth it - seems like most people today don't really give any extra thought if somebody has an MBA or not (atleast the ones I deal with)

benyl
03-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Nope.