PDA

View Full Version : Buying Rebuilt Status 240sx swapped SR20

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 11:27 AM
So i came across a Nissan 240sx with a SR20DET swapped in that i like. The body is in excellent shape, very clean. A couple minor body blemishes but not big at all. The car however has been in an accident that and now has a rebuilt status.

The car was involved in a accident in 2007 that wrote the car off. After that Useable Used in Lethbridge swapped in the sr20det and had the car all redone (damage fixed, paint, panels, lights). They sold it to the guy im looking at buying it from and he has drove it for almost 3 years with no issues. Other then the sr20 the car is bone stock..

Would you buy a rebuilt title car and if so what would you think is fair for this car?

I'm getting it for much cheeper then he paid for it in 2008 but seems a little steep for a rebuilt status.. However the 240sx's that im looking at with clean titles are in WAY worse shape then this one..

sr20s14zenki
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
A rebuilt status merely means that the car has been in an accident and repaired/inspected to meet the requirements to be put back on the road. It typically does mean you can get it cheaper. What is the price on the car?

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
The car price is around the $3800 mark... i may be able to get it cheaper..

ercchry
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by mikey_p
The car price is around the $3800 mark... i may be able to get it cheaper..

and now you are over $3000.... hrm...

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

and now you are over $3000.... hrm...

You are correct... Possibly.. Depending on what I can work for a price..

sr20s14zenki
03-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Thats not bad for an sr20det powered car. If the body is in good shape, go for it. Check for strut towers, frame rails, and floorpans. Thats where most of the rust on the s13s are. Keep in mind to just buy an sr20det engine set is around 1600-2000$ just for engine, tranny, ecu, wiring harness.

gretz
03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Some things often seem to good to be true... If the guy seems to have an excuse for everything / all the "little" issues, I would stay away... Especially if you aren't familiar with these cars...

DonJuan
03-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Sounds like a decent price. Rebulit status means that the car has been inspected by a liscenced facility to ensure the car is road worthy. Take it in to get it inspected again just to double check but it sounds like a good deal to me.

benz_890
03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Are you gonna go for a crank-walking Talon after you pass on this car, perhaps next week??

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by benz_890
Are you gonna go for a crank-walking Talon after you pass on this car, perhaps next week??

Nope...

ercchry
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Thats not bad for an sr20det powered car. If the body is in good shape, go for it.

you would be scratching your head if you knew what i offered him...

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Some things often seem to good to be true... If the guy seems to have an excuse for everything / all the "little" issues, I would stay away... Especially if you aren't familiar with these cars...

No they seem really good.. Talked to the father who bought it for the kid.. he's going to school and lost his part time job to cut backs after christmas.. Doesn't want to sell it but has to.. It is completly stock and i kinda enjoy that.. No BOV, no turbo timer, no crazy canadian tire parts..Just a 240 with a sr...

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 03:16 PM

you would be scratching your head if you knew what i offered him...

Not exactly.. you offered a 240sx with a sr that needed work and a blown turbo for $3500.. Didnt come with the wheels you had on it or many of the parts you listed.. I would have ended up with a sr20 240sx stock wheels with a blown turbo and other issues.. Now if it was closer to my budget to fix the turbo i'd think twice.. this one i can probably get for $3200 and just drive it away.. :dunno:

ercchry
03-04-2011, 03:31 PM
turbo is just smoking, FRESH paint... and it came with the replacement turbo and $150 worth of oem turbo related gaskets... CLEAN tittle

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 04:31 PM
turbo is just smoking, FRESH paint... and it came with the replacement turbo and $150 worth of oem turbo related gaskets... CLEAN tittle

turbo is just smoking (need to be replaced or rebuilt), Fresh paint (with runs not stock color), replacments turbo and gaskets... clean title..

What about the suspension,idler pulleys, reseviour tank, head light and signal issues??

But yes.. your title is clean..

ercchry
03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
all jams and engine bay were sprayed... its a 22 year old car for under $4k... :nut:

idler pulley? what? washer reserve needs to be bolted back into stock location... its like 3 nuts to be turned.

yeah you are not getting new coilovers for that price... they would be replaced with stock. couple wires have to be chased... spend a day working on it, save thousands... good deal for someone that cant scrape together enough money to by a prefect car. :thumbsup:

if you want it perfect and all the parts give me $7k... i was trying to do you a favor and make a decent car affordable for you, but i guess you are too much of a princess to do any work for anything.

slinkie
03-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Shame on you for selling a car with washer fluid reservoir unbolted...who has the time money or resources to get that repaired? How does it have a clean title with that kind of damage?

Abeo
03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
all jams and engine bay were sprayed... its a 22 year old car for under $4k... :nut:

idler pulley? what? washer reserve needs to be bolted back into stock location... its like 3 nuts to be turned.

yeah you are not getting new coilovers for that price... they would be replaced with stock. couple wires have to be chased... spend a day working on it, save thousands... good deal for someone that cant scrape together enough money to by a prefect car. :thumbsup:

if you want it perfect and all the parts give me $7k... i was trying to do you a favor and make a decent car affordable for you, but i guess you are too much of a princess to do any work for anything.

From your driftwest thread, it sounds like it needs more than a day of chasing wires... it sounds like an electrical nightmare, to be honest.

600rr
03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
can someone post a like of this said car. And the car errchy is talking about selling.

ercchry
03-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

From your driftwest thread, it sounds like it needs more than a day of chasing wires... it sounds like an electrical nightmare, to be honest.

all but the pass headlight and front signals have been chased and fixed... its just too damn cold to chase the rest right now

and it has been posted before

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs273.snc6/180172_10150122151228638_504953637_7688777_614452_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs023.snc6/165389_10150122150853638_504953637_7688767_4851316_n.jpg

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
The bunk title for less is looking better and better every post!

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Back on topic.... What should i be looking for other then the obvious on a rebuilt car?? I did the car proof and it was alright otherwise but did say it was rebuilt in 2007 then saftied and back on the road later on..

brownboi
03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
my last car was a rebuilt status and it was just like any other car .. no problems or anything ...

like stated previously, rebuilt means that it has been mechanically inspected by a licensed shop and has been deemed road worthy .. if you want to get it checked again take it to a licensed shop an get them to test it ..
other then that i say if yur really interested in it, then you should grab it

choice is yours ...

boarderfatty
03-04-2011, 09:06 PM
If it can pass a strict write off inspection, it will be in better shape than 99% of 240's out there. Find out exactly what the accident was and bring it for a specific inspection if it was just cosmetic I wouldn't worry about it as long as color is blended decently panel gaps look good, if a headlight was replaced wither both of them were done, or they both look the same ( I hate when a car has one brand new lens and a old foggy one.

If there was actual frame damage take it to a frame shop and have them inspect it, make sure the frame was pulled properly, and everything is square. Just because it drives strait doesn't mean it is strait, could just be a crazy alignment.

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Your right. A shop and a good eye will be used.

Cooked Rice
03-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Shit, charney, you're selling it? I need a drift missile this season. I want to rub some walls, bang out some big dents, you know the drill... I smell Calgary's own peasant car drift bash.