PDA

View Full Version : 10 cars to avoid

X_EVO_X
03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
http://autos.ca.msn.com/showroom/used-cars/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=27019367&page=1

Sugarphreak
03-04-2011, 12:02 PM

bjstare
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Well, I've heard Min's do suck... but yes; CRV and Camry? Haha ridiculous.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Looks like lots of unthoughtful choices on that list...

X_EVO_X
03-04-2011, 12:28 PM
The reason for Cr-v is hilarious too, mentions transmission problems then puts that it is a rare occurance. I think alot of vehicles rarely have tranmission problems LOL

The explorer up to 2009 I thought was odd on that list as well.. the volve seemed to belong for cost of repairs anyway

Kloubek
03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
The author obviously just picked a bunch of miscellaneous and relatively minor items he could dig together on each one and threw them into a list.

Transmission failure is minor?

I agree though - this list sucks. There are much worse cars out there than these; but these vehicles are generally expected to be better quality I think.

Gary@UrbanX
03-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Interesting, my parents 2002 CRV has over 200k on it and it still runs like a champ. No major issues yet except for the obvious wear and tear maintenance (brakes, spark plugs etc). I guess the author did not want to throw all the domestics under the bus.:rofl:

DonJuan
03-04-2011, 01:04 PM
I have heard some probs with that generation of Camry with O2 sensors fouling frequently, but other than that its a Toyota. The CR-V reasons is just LOL

corsvette
03-04-2011, 01:27 PM
My 07 Camry was a complete lemon, i'm not suprised one bit to find it on that list (look up the owner reviews on edmunds and yahoo autos). Good to see Toyota and honda being called out for some of their underperforming models, as i think their quality has been slipping the last few years.

Sugarphreak
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Aleks
03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I personally know someone who's had lots of transmission issues with that gen CRV. Honda has always had auto transmission issues so that's not anything new :dunno:

speedog
03-04-2011, 03:07 PM
It's just a list. There a lemons in every model run/brand. I've owned 5 Chevy's up to now and four of them were great - the Trailblazer has been a fairly consistent source of problems what with a tranny replaced, a transfer case replaced, front drive shaft replaced, fan clutch replaced, driver's side seat heater replaced, memory module for the various seat/mirror/stereo/HVAC settings replaced, rear window defrost had to be repaired, numerous sway bar links replaced. Now the tranny/transfer case were not necessarily a lemon type of fault as the front drive shaft threw a weight which subsequently buggered up the attached transfer case and tranny - no one could predict that a driveshaft would throw a weight and cause so many problems. The other four Chevy's - all have been great with several going over 300,000 kilometers and all costing considerably less together to maintain than our Trailblazer.

What is amusing is how people will brag about how great their vehicle brand is - one guy I knew had a Honda Accord that he thought was the next best thing since sliced bread and yet that car was in the shop every month to have something fixed. How he never was able to acknowledge that the car was actually a bit of a lemon was beyond me, blinders I guess.

J-hop
03-04-2011, 05:29 PM
That list is a bunch of crap,

/thread

nismo_fan
03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
whats funny about the list is that 8/10 vehicles we have had on our lot in the last year and they have had the specific problems listed in the article. pretty accurate for the most part imo.....

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
03-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Did anyone notice that it's a used car list, avoid those cars because they (potentially) have those problems, yeah, there's a lot of cars with problems, but those cars have a pretty long list.
It's just difficult to quantify those problems because the authour didn't put any statistics in to prove to us that these are frequent enough to be a concern to prospective buyers.

Sugarphreak
03-04-2011, 11:23 PM

bart
03-04-2011, 11:34 PM
That list is a bunch of crap,

you said it

HAHAHAHA

crapstixs
03-05-2011, 03:33 AM
the best one was the volvo, the tranny sucks and a whole bunch of other problems so just stay away. lol.
i love how they brought up the ford/firestone thing, kids dont check tire pressure, tires are at 12psi, way too many people in suv, suv rolls, parents sue ford/firestone, ford throws firestone under the bus. now they come with goodyear tires. so explorer is a shitty suv?
its msn motors what more do you want?

911fever
03-05-2011, 09:14 AM
:rofl: terrible journalism

ACURA44
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
it sounds like maybe a Mitsubishi man put this list together.... lol

TorqueDog
03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
The one that stuck out to me was the Ford Explorer. He listed the 02 to 09 models.

One problem. The Ford Explorer got a major redesign for the 2006 model year, including many of the components that the writer claims failed frequently on the older models.

Overall, that article was written to fill space on a webpage. Nothing more. Useless article.

heavyD
03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I personally know someone who's had lots of transmission issues with that gen CRV. Honda has always had auto transmission issues so that's not anything new :dunno:

Honda really needs to start outsourcing their automatic transmissions. They are trash.

cream
03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
The article about the Camry, it says, "What they didn't bargain for in the Kentucky-built Toyota are headaches."

So he's referring to only 1 factory?
What a fail article.