PDA

View Full Version : Vacation pay after quitting?

Buffalo Soldier
03-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I work and have a full time job on salary, I have 8 vacation days left. If I give my two weeks notice am I entitled to get paid for those 8 vacation days if I dont take them?

Tik-Tok
03-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Buffalo Soldier
I work and have a full time job on salary, I have 8 vacation days left. If I give my two weeks notice am I entitled to get paid for those 8 vacation days if I dont take them?

Maybe? Depends on your employment contract.

Some companies give vacation upfront when you're hired, then you kind of have to earn it back over the next year, so you're always "owing" them time. In this circumstance, they wouldn't owe you any vacation pay, and you in fact might owe them some.

Other companies make you work a year first before getting vacation, so then they would owe you it.

in*10*se
03-04-2011, 05:54 PM
only if you've earned them.

ie. if you worked 12 months of 2011 you earn 12 vaction days.

if you worked 3 months of 2011, you earn 3 vacation days.

if you have vacation from prior years, you are entitled to it.

leftwing
03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
When you give your 2 weeks/4 weeks notice ask them if you are going to be reimbursed for those 8 days, if they say no, tell them your taking those 8 days off during your remaining weeks of work.

G-ZUS
03-06-2011, 01:21 PM
With my company, if you don't use it you get it paid out

broken_legs
03-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
When you give your 2 weeks/4 weeks notice ask them if you are going to be reimbursed for those 8 days, if they say no, tell them your taking those 8 days off during your remaining weeks of work.

^^ This.

And also vacation days are usually accrued. So if you have already banked days for time spent working you should get paid out. There is an account where your company puts money as you accrue vacation days. When you go on vacation they pay you out of that account.

So, if you have accrued days, then you will get paid out.

Xtrema
03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by leftwing

This. Then they can decide if they need to pay you to be around for transition.