PDA

View Full Version : Lunch recs in fernie/sparwood/crowsnest?

Guillermo
03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
We will be traveling through Fernie, Sparwood, and Crowsnest Pass in a couple of weeks and are looking for a nice place to stop for lunch. Strangely, I can't find any info about any of these towns on CH. Any suggestions? We are pretty much open to anything.

Thanks!

s dime
03-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Curry Bowl in Fernie. I never miss it whenever I am there. unbelievable food and service. Just off the main highway throough town. Indian, Japanese, and Thai food. mmmmmm

tch7
03-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I've been working around Fernie/Sparwood recently, and the best place I came across was The Brickhouse in downtown Fernie. Cool interior (former bank) and good Canadian food. Not sure what it's like at lunch.

I'd recommend avoiding most of the restaurants that are right on the highway.

Guillermo
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by s dime
Curry Bowl in Fernie. I never miss it whenever I am there. unbelievable food and service. Just off the main highway throough town. Indian, Japanese, and Thai food. mmmmmm

yea, they don't open till 5 though. :(

J-hop
03-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by tch7
I've been working around Fernie/Sparwood recently, and the best place I came across was The Brickhouse in downtown Fernie. Cool interior (former bank) and good Canadian food. Not sure what it's like at lunch.

have you tried out rip n richards yet? when I was in fernie last I went there and enjoyed it. I agree about currie bowl I went there with the parents and it was great.

Guillermo
03-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by tch7

thanks! Can you tell me more about the menu? i.e. is it pub food? I tried googling it, but their website isn't working.

tch7
03-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes, pub food would be the most appropriate description. Similar menu/prices to say 1600 World Bier Haus, Brewsters, and those sorts of places. They had some good Fernie Brewing Co beers on tap as well.

Been a few years since I last went to Rip & Richards. Wasn't impressed back then. Might try it again later this year to see if it's improved.

dirtsniffer
03-06-2011, 09:51 AM
tch7, do you work for Teck? I'm starting an internship with them in May. This thread will help me out for sure when I go to look for a place to live in a couple weeks

Guillermo
03-06-2011, 11:11 AM
any other recommendations guys? just in case we're not feeling like pub grub that day? i've heard the sushi place is pretty good, but there's got to be more in town besides the brickhouse, sushi, and mcdonalds. :D

tch7
03-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I've read many good things about the Blue Toque Diner, which is a breakfast-lunch place, also downtown. Haven't personally tried it yet.

In Crowsnest (Coleman) right on the highway is Cinnamon Bear Bakery & Cafe. Very good baking and deli-type food.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
tch7, do you work for Teck?
No. My company's doing engineering consulting for the railway between the Fording mine and Golden.

CanmoreOrLess
02-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Any updates to this thread? I am off to Fernie for a couple of days, last time I was there I think we ate at Boston Pizza both days.... mmmm Brute.

Any updated recommends?

Hot_Wheelz
02-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Chicken on a stick at 711 in Coleman... Seriously.. It's legendary..

dirtsniffer
02-18-2012, 10:48 PM
breakfast:
big bang bagels on 2nd ave. (true montreal style bagels)
the loaf, best bakery, also good food

lunch:
lunch box, good wraps and soup on 2nd ave

dinner:
yamagoya, sushi. pretty good, super busy. opens at 5, if you're not there then, might as well wait till around 7
curry bowl, lots of good dishes
picnic restaurant, classiest place, looking around $25/entree. good food and service.
the northern, good pub food and weekend atmosphere is usually clubish
rip n richards, feels like a chain style restaurant
brickhouse; good pub food, avoid on thursday if you want dinner, it's jam night and people will be standing around every table in there

Tik-Tok
02-19-2012, 12:09 AM

big bang bagels on 2nd ave. (true montreal style bagels)

This is the only place I've eaten at in Fernie, and it was excellent, not just for breakfast, they make bagel sandwiches too for lunch.

msommers
02-19-2012, 12:34 AM
On your way down there, stop in at Black Diamond Bakery for some treats ie: cinnamon buns and pastries :)

e31
02-19-2012, 12:49 AM
tch7, do you work for Teck? I'm starting an internship with them in May. This thread will help me out for sure when I go to look for a place to live in a couple weeks

Start looking for a place NOW.

dirtsniffer
02-19-2012, 01:11 AM
lol. I started last may. I definitely found some good accomodations. looked at some crappy places though.

anyways, awesome town to live in.

tch7
02-19-2012, 09:53 AM
To add to dirtsniffer's list, I'll add a recommendation for the Fernie Hotel pub. Huge servings and relatively cheap. Menu has a lot in common with The Northern.

I've also had some good meals at Mezzaluna (Italian food), but one not-so-good.

picnic restaurant, classiest place, looking around $25/entree. good food and service.

I came out of there with a $280 bill for three of us. Fortunately managed to expense it without issue.

C_Dave45
02-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Had a great lunch and beers at Rum Runner's Pub (http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=coleman+ab&ll=49.636283,-114.499522&spn=0.001765,0.005284&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Coleman,+Division+No.+15,+Alberta&gl=ca&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=49.636284,-114.500547&panoid=QHCGzr4DdfaSb0XFN3Jzhg&cbp=12,146.7,,0,2.9) in Coleman when we went camping over Thanksgiving weekend. Great food, great atmosphere and awesome waitress.

JRSC00LUDE
02-19-2012, 11:29 AM
There is a little coffee shop/bakery.....can't remember the name dammit. Just a couple blocks off main drag but they sure make great little pizzas and things.

Hopefully I can remember what it's called!

EDIT - this shit be old! guess it doesn't matter if I can't recall! :rofl:

dirtsniffer
02-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Any updates to this thread? I am off to Fernie for a couple of days, last time I was there I think we ate at Boston Pizza both days.... mmmm Brute.

Any updated recommends?

So how was fernie?

CanmoreOrLess
02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
An update, had lunch at Big Bang Bagels on 2nd Avenue. Really solid bagels (I spent four years in Montreal), I had a blueberry whole wheat open faced pizza (sandwich). I swear the blueberries were fresh or a higher priced frozen type. In any case the lunch was very good as was the coffee. Staff was friendly and even suggested a few things to make the meal a new and tastier event. Normally I would never go with a blueberry bagel in a pizza sandwich, it was suggested, figured when in Rome... Next time in Fernie, this is a go-to place.

I tried the Curry Bowl, took a chance they might be open for lunch, but no only for dinner.

Getting over the fuel price shock (we are spoiled in Alberta) was easier once I had lunch and left Big Bang with a half dozen for home. I thought summer was perfect in Fernie, winter looks to be as great. Even the road trip home was pleasant until twenty minutes outside Fernie, the typical Alberta douches start to tailgate at 120 km/hr, the RCMP seemed to have a nice feed going and appreciate the donations....

Thanks for the leads guys.