PDA

View Full Version : Mass Gainers

Markov7
03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm looking to take a mass gainer, I currently weight 150lbs (5'10") and i've been at this weight for a while now. I want to start working out to build muscle but I'm not exactly sure what supplements to take. I've read a lot about Mutant Mass, has anyone here tried it?

Goodfella
03-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Never tried Mutant mass before but years ago got hooked on quick mass and seen excellent results. Sure its not the cleanest for bulking but probably one of the better tasting weight gainers which makes consumption a little easier. Besides a weight gainer you will probably need to get on a high protein/high calorie diet and a mass building weight program. Most of all you will need to maintain your motivation and drive as this may be hard to keep up with, good luck :thumbsup:

nagooro
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I am currently taking mutant mass (cookies and cream), so far its been working pretty well, just started it recently and have already gained a few lbs.

Tastes pretty damn good, like a liquid dessert, and mixes well too. :thumbsup:

If you have any other questions lemme know, you can also talk to cjblair, he was the one I talked to and recommended it as well.

Stephen81
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I've tried some gainers before but many are packed with sugar. I like to blend up a cup of oats, banana, milk, scoop of whey and tbl spoon of p.butter and you've got a pretty good gainer right there and it's not hard to put together a couple times a day.

schocker
03-05-2011, 07:42 PM
I have been using the six star mass gainer, man is it gross. Has the consistency of cake mix and the taste is gross. :rofl:
Maybe I will have to try some mutant mass on my next bb.com order.

know1edge
03-05-2011, 08:18 PM
i tried ON serious mass
1 serving is 1200 calories
problem is 1 serving is 2 cups of powder

is mutant mass like that?

davidI
03-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Just eat like a mofo - too much sugar in those mass gainers.

For breakfast have a cup of oatmeal and 6 egg omelette. Protein shake and fruit mid-morning. 2 cans of tuna on brown at lunch. Protein shake and fruit mid-afternoon. 2-3 chicken breasts, rice & veggies in the evening.

Mix in a handfull of almonds, yogurt, fruit, veg, natty pub etc. throughout the day.

Trust me, you'll grow.

tom_9109
03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
If you're just going to "start working out" there is not need for a mass gainer. Just gonna make you fat.

BigMass
03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by davidI

For breakfast have a cup of oatmeal and 6 egg omelette. Protein shake and fruit mid-morning. 2 cans of tuna on brown at lunch. Protein shake and fruit mid-afternoon. 2-3 chicken breasts, rice & veggies in the evening.

Mix in a handfull of almonds, yogurt, fruit, veg, natty pub etc. throughout the day.

Trust me, you'll grow.

%100 correct. Mass gainers are a total waste. Stick to your regular whey protein shake because supplementing protein is actually beneficial as is taking a high bioavailability protein right after working out. However, adding calories to your diet is so easy its pointless to waste money on diluted protein shakes.

max_boost
03-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Make sure you lift hard though otherwise you'll just get fat. As usual, squat/deadlift/bench/press/dips/chins/pulls etc.

GOMAD. Gallon of milk a day.

Easy. 6 big glasses per day. :eek:

nagooro
03-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by know1edge
i tried ON serious mass
1 serving is 1200 calories
problem is 1 serving is 2 cups of powder

is mutant mass like that?
Yeah it is, its serving size is 4 scoops. I end up spreading it out throughout the day.

slick2404
03-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I used Mutant Mass...went from 150 - ~165. Works well...chocolate with a scoop of PB is delicious.

J-hop
03-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Make sure you lift hard though otherwise you'll just get fat. As usual, squat/deadlift/bench/press/dips/chins/pulls etc.

GOMAD. Gallon of milk a day.

Easy. 6 big glasses per day. :eek:

Milk is very hard for our bodies to digest properly and I've read that drinking too much milk can overstress your pancreas putting you at higher risk for developing diseases such as diabetes. This is because milk you buy in the stores has the digestive enzymes eliminated in the pasteurization process. So I don't know if a Gallon of milk/day is going to benefit you in the long run

pinoyhero
03-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Gomad is proven and more natural than synthesized protien and sugar. I'm not a fan of dairy though and have heard the answer to gomad for those living paleo is adead - a dozen eggs a day

K3RMiTdot
04-03-2011, 11:45 PM
anyone recommened one thats lactose free?

bjstare
04-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by nagooro
I am currently taking mutant mass (cookies and cream), so far its been working pretty well, just started it recently and have already gained a few lbs.

Tastes pretty damn good, like a liquid dessert, and mixes well too. :thumbsup:

If you have any other questions lemme know, you can also talk to cjblair, he was the one I talked to and recommended it as well.

How long have you been eating the cookies n' cream? By the end of the bag, that stuff was making me nauseous haha. Same with Straw/banana. I'm eatin the chocolate right now, and its been the best by far for me.. taste isn't overwhelming.

Originally posted by davidI

Trust me, you'll grow.

This is absolutely true. Some weight gainers have higher sugar levels than others... usually the cheaper it is, the more sugar is in it. I found that Mutant Mass is the best weight gainer for your money (I can't justify spending huge amounts on supps).

I put on decent weight before I tried weight gainer, but the advantage of using it is: its roughly the same price as eating like crazy, and for someone who doesn't have a lot of time it's a great alternative. I find the hardest part about bulking is trying to find time to make and eat all that food.

Originally posted by tom_9109
If you're just going to "start working out" there is not need for a mass gainer. Just gonna make you fat.

Thats only true for some people. I constantly have to eat like I'm bulking, or I lose 12-15lbs very quickly (even if I'm still working out). Some people just have fast metabolisms.

@k3rmitdot

Mutant mass is "97% lactose free" whatever that means. I have a lactose intolerant buddy that used it for a long time, and it worked fine with his body.

K3RMiTdot
04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
^^ thanks! will go hunting for it tmr :D

YamahaV8
04-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Real Mass by Gaspari Nutrition tastes pretty good and is not a crazy 1000+ calorie gainer. I think it's a little over 600 calorie with 12g fat and 14g sugar. Just an option.

Darkane
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Not an advocate of "Mass Gainers".

Best mass gainer I've ever seen or used was regular ground beef from superstore. Sometimes it even goes on sale! :love:

But Here are calorie DENSE foods all people looking mass should eat:

-Full fat greek Yogurt
-Whole Milk (I'm not a fan of milk, but if you handle it go for it)
-Peanutbutter, Other butters like Almond, cashew
-Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts etc
-Fatty meats (bacon, ground beef, dark bird meat)
-Olive oil, Butter (NOT margarine), Fish oil's

So yeah. The reason I didn't list any carbs there are because most people looking to Bulk are already eating carbs! It's the protein and fat content that must be brought up - a lot.

sevewone
04-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
Not an advocate of "Mass Gainers".

Fish oil's

So yeah. The reason I didn't list any carbs there are because most people looking to Bulk are already eating carbs! It's the protein and fat content that must be brought up - a lot.

Fish oils make you gain weight? There an essential fatty acid, that definitely shouldn't make you bulk up.

Boosted_TL
04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Mass Gainers are shite IMO. If anything Trumass from BSN is decent enough. 630cals per serving. Have it post workout and add in 5g of creatine and 5g of Glutamine.

All those gainers are meant for the tiny dudes and are sold through marketing. 1500cals+ is too much for one meal anyway. Spread out 5-6, 600-800 cal meals daily.

Food, Food, Food. No question. Then sleep.

I eat within meat alone per day:

10oz Tuna
20oz Chicken
10oz Xlean ground Beef or Steak
24 Egg whites, daily.

Even on non training days, eat large. That's when you grow

chathamf
04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
lmao, 24 eggs a day. that is insane man.

Boosted_TL
04-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by chathamf

Def not eggs my friend, egg whites ;)

Breakfast alone is 8 egg whites with 2 packs of oatmeal. That's already 1/3 of the battle.

jav_
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
im just finishing up my tub of expired mutant mass,
(main source of breakfast blended with raw oats)
it's definitely working much better now that i do full body workouts 3 times a week
as opposed to when i used it 6 months ago doing split workouts 3 times a week, it built me a pretty round belly

sevewone
04-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by chathamf

LOL exactly what I was thinking. Thats about 3 cups of solid egg white! Yeah I dont think no slim jim is going to be able to chug that back every day :rofl:

Boosted_TL
04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Cooked boys, cooked.

bjstare
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL

All those gainers are meant for the tiny dudes and are sold through marketing. 1500cals+ is too much for one meal anyway. Spread out 5-6, 600-800 cal meals daily.

That's if you take the "suggested serving" which, like you said, is way too much (just like most other supplements). I only ever do half servings at a time, usually one between breakfast and lunch, and one post workout. That's an extra ~600cal per serving which is manageable.

I was a tiny dude before, and got bigger without using weight gainer... the gainer just frees up more time in my day (quicker than cooking and eating 5-6 meals). This way I only have to make 3 legit meals. Still not a perfect replacement for real food, but they do the trick.

Boosted_TL
04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

That's if you take the "suggested serving" which, like you said, is way too much (just like most other supplements). I only ever do half servings at a time, usually one between breakfast and lunch, and one post workout. That's an extra ~600cal per serving which is manageable.

I was a tiny dude before, and got bigger without using weight gainer... the gainer just frees up more time in my day (quicker than cooking and eating 5-6 meals). This way I only have to make 3 legit meals. Still not a perfect replacement for real food, but they do the trick.

Yep, that works too! Ive never bought nor taken a mass up. I am sure they are packed with sugar. Id go for TruMass for lean gains and yes, keeping it around the 600 mark twice daily as extra cal's needed.

Oh and I should not have said "tiny dudes" haha sorry guys.