PDA

View Full Version : Where to move/ buy in US

wow600rr
03-05-2011, 09:55 PM
This rant isn't just probably due to shitty weather that we've been facing.

Lets assume that you have a secure job and are able to move anywhere in US with your family. You absolutely love warm weather and can live with a month or so of snow and have some money set aside to take advantage of cheap real estate as well. I would ideally like to move to a city thats a blend between Calgary and Vancouver (Safe/ less criminal activity like a small city with lots of things to do as well)

Since I haven't traveled most of US and I am not familiar with all the major cities, what would be your recommendations for a city where property is still somewhat cheap and is an awesome place to raise a family and why?

PS: I am sure this has been discussed before but wasn't able to find anything related to it.

Weapon_R
03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Fort Worth, Texas. Great weather and right near Dallas, which is a lot like Calgary.

Jlude
03-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Agree with above.

I'd also have to say Atlanta suburbs... Like Kennesaw or Buckhead. They do get snow...but very little and real estate is cheap like Texas. Your money goes a long way in some states, especially Texas. I was just looking yesterday at real estate outside Dallas, about an hour away in Athens. Half why you would pay in Calgary... Sometimes less than half.

dawerks
03-05-2011, 10:59 PM
San Diego.

It's like LA, but not as dry, it's super green and the people are cool. Socal is the place to be. Everything is there. I go there 10-12 times a year, can't really find a better place to 'get away'.

Property is 'cheap' if you are used to Alberta house prices :) But in terms of US prices, it's damn expensive. And it didn't take the hit like everywhere else.

slick2404
03-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by dawerks
San Diego.

It's like LA, but not as dry, it's super green and the people are cool. Socal is the place to be. Everything is there. I go there 10-12 times a year, can't really find a better place to 'get away'.

Property is 'cheap' if you are used to Alberta house prices :) But in terms of US prices, it's damn expensive. And it didn't take the hit like everywhere else.

:werd: Love SD.

jonnycat
03-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Any where along the west coast.

Oregon is a pretty nice state. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do.

tirebob
03-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Austin Texas... Spent a week there a couple years ago (much of my wifes family lives here) and drove around to Dallas, Arlington, San Antonio etc... We loved it! Austin is very much the high tech area of Texas. The properties are amazing and surprisingly cheap, and everyone we met was incredibly friendly. I would seriously consider living there down the road...

wow600rr
03-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone for their feedback.

SD or such areas won't work for me since I am not just thinking of a vacation spot but also a place where I can permanently live and the money I have would actually let me buy something decent. I looked at Fort Worth, looks very good and property prices are just awesome :thumbsup:

Do you guys think prices would fall more or stay at this point for a while? How is the standard of living in US vs Can?

I would probably take a road trip in summer to see which city I like the best as well.
Thanks again guys!

jjjheimer
03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I vote for SoCal. Irvine, San Diego or the communities to the north of SD are great too. I like Texas but the concealed carry law is really something to think about when you're not wired that way.

MilanoRedTeg
03-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Fort Worth, Texas. Great weather and right near Dallas, which is a lot like Calgary.

Just got back last week from a business trip there. I agree really nice, clean and definitely good weather.

cam_wmh
03-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Manhattan.

t-im
03-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
Manhattan.
What the OP was looking for:

Originally posted by wow600rr
You absolutely love warm weather and can live with a month or so of snow

The summers may be great here but the winters (particularly the last 2) have been brutal. The number of snowpocalypses & high humidity sucks.

have some money set aside to take advantage of cheap real estate as well.

The ballpark "average" for a decent place in Manhattan is $1,000 a sq ft, but realistically higher than that (one apartment recently sold for $10,259 a sq ft). An average 1 bedroom is still hovering around ~$700k to 1mill. Don't forget to add in fairly high maintenance fees & taxes (unless your building has a tax abatement).

I would ideally like to move to a city thats a blend between Calgary and Vancouver (Safe/ less criminal activity like a small city with lots of things to do as well)

NYC is safe, but is hardly safe like a small town, or a blend of Calgary and Vancouver.

What would be your recommendations for a city where property is still somewhat cheap and is an awesome place to raise a family and why?

Yeah, people are crazy for wanting to raise a family here. Westchester, Jersey or parts of CT maybe...

That being said, NYC is incredible if you can swing it.

Anomaly
03-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

I'd also have to say Atlanta suburbs... Like Kennesaw or Buckhead.

Can't say I like Atlanta, but the above and Alpharetta would be nice places to live