PDA

View Full Version : Abercrombie & Finch - What's up with the massive cologne!

screw_loose
03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
So I put in a complaint today with Chinook Mall authority begging and pleading them to force Abercrombie & Finch in Chinook Mall to stop pumping all the cologne into the air system at the mall. I'm not sure if many of you notice at all when your in that mall but you can seriously smell it a good 100+ feet away. Heck we could even smell it in the underground parkade.

I know I've heard a few others saying something similar and I figure there must be a few on here who get annoyed by it as well. For me it has more to do with allergies. It makes even being in that portion of the mall extremely difficult.

My rant for the day!

ddduke
03-06-2011, 03:07 PM
They do it in front of all of their stores, I doubt your complaint will do a thing. I'm going to say it's good advertising. If you're into their clothing and walk in smelling some good cologne it'll remind you to buy it, just like how samples at Costco get people to buy products they generally wouldn't.

adidas
03-06-2011, 03:08 PM
I disagree, i dont smell it at all. And i even sat about 25 ft away from A&F for a good 20 min

n1zm0
03-06-2011, 03:11 PM
well its like why does the Bay put the fken cologne islands near an exit to the store, why not in the middle near a useless section, like vacuum cleaners. Because it attracts the tweens and the stetson man eldery.

screw_loose
03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Dunno about the good advertising thing. I'm unable to even go into the store because of it. You'd be surprised how many people have allergies to this type of thing.

gruster
03-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I love that smell!

adam c
03-06-2011, 03:17 PM
it's the first thing i notice when i come up from the underground parking, i myself am sensitive to strong colognes and perfumes, they give me massive headaches

J-hop
03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree with you (screw_loose). I can not stand these cologne ridden places. I have a very strong sense of smell (or so i've been told) and my eyes actually start to water when I walk through the bay or walk by a place like A&F.

It is not good advertising when they have what I like to call swamp water in the air (mixture of a whole bunch of colognes).

Some people think it smells good, but then again some people also think drenching themselves in axe deodorant spray smells good (poor ignorant fools!!!).

project240
03-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
well its like why does the Bay put the fken cologne islands near an exit to the store, why not in the middle near a useless section, like vacuum cleaners. Because it attracts the tweens and the stetson man eldery.

It's also because the profit margin is disgustingly huge

ddduke
Originally posted by screw_loose
Dunno about the good advertising thing. I'm unable to even go into the store because of it. You'd be surprised how many people have allergies to this type of thing.

Well I'm sure A&F has people that they hire to determine things like this and have probably decided that it's for the better, I'm sure if it was hurting sales then they would get rid of it. Most of the people that buy that shit are 16 year old yuppies anyways, they probably love the smell of that shit.

Canmorite
They need to cut down on that essence of Douche. It's like being in a club.

t-im
03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
That douchey Hollister/Abercrombie smell is atrocious. You can smell it a block away from the 2 flagships down here.

rx7boi
03-06-2011, 06:13 PM
A&F is the new Ed Hardy.

So many muscle bound dickhead wear their tight A&F t-shirts while they work out.

Sweats are okay cause they're fucking comfy as hell :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
People find the dumbest things to complain about.....if you don't like it, don't go there. Whiny medddlers do indeed have a screw loose.

screw_loose
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Don't go there? I like the stores around there as does my Wife. So its problematic that one store should be able to harm the business of another. That's exactly how I worded in the complaint to Chinook mall and I'm sure the other businesses wouldn't like to hear that either. I'm sure it can't come to a shock as many on beyond are saying it's a problem for them too.

It's obviously a bad business move on A&F's part. Even having a handful of people refusing to enter a store due to the odor isn't good. I'm not sure if its just myself but due to the allergies I do have it seems I might have a slightly enhanced olfactory senses or something. I can seriously smell it when I'm in harry rosen and in the parkade.

gruster
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Easy solution for you and your wife

This

http://i.imgur.com/72zMQ.jpg

+

This

http://i.imgur.com/nBYRY.jpg

RiceMonkey
03-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by gruster
Easy solution for you and your wife

This

http://i.imgur.com/72zMQ.jpg

+

This

http://i.imgur.com/nBYRY.jpg

Hahahahaha

slinkie
03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
McDonalds pumps their fry smell out into the area, that's life

screw_loose
03-07-2011, 12:23 AM
That's the odor of food that's being vented. It's not being forced through air ventilation.

Squishy
03-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
They need to cut down on that essence of Douche. It's like being in a club.
this.

also, the only time I step foot in that store is if I'm with 1 friend or something and they really want to go in, otherwise, I don't go near or in it. I tell them I will wait outside if anything. I dislike a lot of people that buy those types of clothes, and the smell does linger in the underground parking too.

Ask Tomaz... everytime we walk past/near it we start chanting "Douche, douche, douche, douche" while he fist pumps.

:whipped:

J-hop
03-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Don't go there? I like the stores around there as does my Wife. So its problematic that one store should be able to harm the business of another. That's exactly how I worded in the complaint to Chinook mall and I'm sure the other businesses wouldn't like to hear that either. I'm sure it can't come to a shock as many on beyond are saying it's a problem for them too.

It's obviously a bad business move on A&F's part. Even having a handful of people refusing to enter a store due to the odor isn't good. I'm not sure if its just myself but due to the allergies I do have it seems I might have a slightly enhanced olfactory senses or something. I can seriously smell it when I'm in harry rosen and in the parkade.

^this, by some people in this threads "logic", they should be able to pump the smell of fecal matter through their store and those of us who's senses don't agree with the smell, should "just deal with it" or "avoid that store".

Now I don't want to hear anyone say "well that is different", no, think logically for one second, the smell of fecal matter doesn't sit well with your senses? well the smell of massive amounts of cologne pumped into the air may not agree with some people in a similar manner. Just because more people hate the smell of shit than the number of people that hate the smell of over powering cologne doesn't mean the rest of the world has to "just deal with it"

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
03-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Squishy

this.

Ask Tomaz... everytime we walk past/near it we start chanting "Douche, douche, douche, douche" while he fist pumps.

:rofl:

That's fucking mature.

Type_S1
03-07-2011, 12:52 AM
I agree with most in this thread those 2 stores smell horrible...here and in Edmonton...you think the mall would have some rules on this type of shit

LongCity
03-07-2011, 01:38 AM

So... What's the difference between the people you are mocking and yourselves for doing this?

Edit for clarity: I do not like these brands either.

sputnik
03-07-2011, 08:23 AM
A&F is for gay guys (Canadians haven't seemed to figure this out yet).

I guess they love the smell of cologne.

:dunno:

jaysas_63
03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
i never wear A&F, but i never thought of it as "douchy" or for gays, its just like any other young white boy label, like American eagle.

when i think douche brands i think affliction and christian audigier. fucking ugly.

and with all honesty the homos i know care waaayy too much about their appearance to dress at A&F, they usually pull off the hipster look with pricier labels u find at the upper end department stores like holt or singer.

Disoblige
03-07-2011, 09:40 AM
lol.. In San Francisco area, I walked past the A&F and my eyes started tearing up. It's no where near as strong here as it is there. But what do you expect in California, especially San Francisco.

Tomaz
03-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Get me every time. :rofl:

That store only pisses me off because of the smell. I could care less about the music, clothes, clientele. That smell is intoxicating, to the point of where I can actually taste the cologne. :barf:

The fact I can walk past the Bay, body shops, or other fragrance shops and not be bothered tell me that they are just pumping way too much into the air system. If they pumped out even half of what they are now, I wouldn't even bother being upset.

JRSC00LUDE
03-07-2011, 10:01 AM

A bad business move? Is it? Doubtful.

I'm just sick of the whole mentality of "just because I don't like it" everyone else should have to change. It drives me nuts.

I don't like the smell of Lush or Fruits & Passion or The Body Shop therefore, I don't walk in them. Big deal. The combination of all their products is nauseating sometimes but it's not noxious so, big deal.

I'm not a huge fan of popcorn smell either but I don't expect Kernels to stop making it.

People need to get over themselves and their selfish ass "needs", whiny self-centered assholes who end up eventually getting what they want because there is no other way to shut them up are a scourge.

Sorry if you don't like my opinion but hey, that's all it is.....big deal.

jdmsource
03-07-2011, 10:23 AM
lol it cant be as bad as the Venetian in Las Vegas, they pump out a floral fragrance through out the whole hotel

screw_loose
03-07-2011, 10:40 AM
The venetian is a whole new kind of wierd. Granted if you ever go to venice when it's really really hot you'll notice a funk of a smell going on.

It's not being selfish either. It's being selfish of a corporate retailer to not do extensive studies to realize people will be put off by the smell and it will cost them sales. You can't physically tell me people are lining up in massive numbers to purchase their cologne that quite honestly smells like crap.

There are a number of people in this thread alone that say they can't stand the smell. I bet if we had somebody stand outside their store we'd get similar results.

In all fairness shops like lush, the body shop, etc. Yes you can briefly smell some of their products. You can't smell them from across the mall, in the parkade and they don't intentionally pump the crap into the air ventilation system.

It's bad business to implement something that even a small number of your potential cliental will not like.

n1zm0
03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
It's crazy to think that A&F used to be basically a Bass Pro of the 1900s when it first started, stocking stuff like:
http://www.cornellpubs.com/Images2/A-F%201920.jpg

Manly stuff,

http://www.cornellpubs.com/Images3/A&F%201910.jpg

http://www.cornellpubs.com/Images4/abercrombie_1907.jpg

http://www.onpointfirearms.com/gunbroker/abercrombie_fitch_rifle_6.JPG

http://www.onpointfirearms.com/gunbroker/abercrombie_fitch_rifle_5.JPG

now, corn-chute cowboys who forgot where their t-shirts went and faux 'au-naturelle' chicks, the founders would be rolling in their graves if they knew what it's become

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/46503/abercrombie-fitch-couple-standing.jpg

CUG
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Gentlemen, is it all really worth it? When you peel those lulus out of her tight little camel toe, is it as you or I would expect it to be? If not, why do we continue working to impress that which is not as it is presented? If it presents as a tight and lip-less void and upon unpacking presents as hanging thick sliced corned beef, what is the purpose?

The equivalent disappointment a man could affect on a female counterpart would only be possible if he were poorly endowed. He would don tight jeans while stuffing an unnaturally large fake penis into the crotch area. When copulation commences, you've got the drop on her.

haunt
03-07-2011, 02:13 PM
The fact that youre ranting about it here is a good indication that their marketing strategy has fully succeeded. The smell lingers in your mind and haunts your dreams. People are gonna walk in to their store just to see what the bitch is about. The kids love it because the stores atmosphere is supposed to be bold and sexy. They dim the lights real low so you can't see how plain and casual the clothes actually are. And the fact that an old fart like you hates the place, makes teens love it even more. Did you see the line up for that place on boxing day? Friggin looped the second floor railing, and stayed like that for the whole morning.

TorqueDog
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
The SuperStore I used to shop at did a similar thing with their underground parking. They'd pump the vents from the bakery into the parkade so all you could smell was fresh baking. Genius idea. However, if they pumped the contents of the perfume/cologne counter into the parkade, I could definitely see that being BS.

Originally posted by CUG
Gentlemen, is it all really worth it? When you peel those lulus out of her tight little camel toe, is it as you or I would expect it to be? If not, why do we continue working to impress that which is not as it is presented? If it presents as a tight and lip-less void and upon unpacking presents as hanging thick sliced corned beef, what is the purpose?

The equivalent disappointment a man could affect on a female counterpart would only be possible if he were poorly endowed. He would don tight jeans while stuffing an unnaturally large fake penis into the crotch area. When copulation commences, you've got the drop on her. I don't know where this came from, but I LOL'd big time. :rofl:

Afrodeziak
03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Noticed this at Hollister when I went in over xmas to see what their clothes were like.
I couldn't breath, did a fast loop and peaced out.

Smelled like a 14 year old kid discovering cologne for the first time, barf.

Dualpwr
03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
When you're inside, if you look up on the ceiling in every room you'll see these small black boxes--diffusers providing 24/7 "fierce" ;p

chkolny541
03-07-2011, 05:40 PM
The venetian is a whole new kind of wierd. Granted if you ever go to venice when it's really really hot you'll notice a funk of a smell going on.

It's not being selfish either. It's being selfish of a corporate retailer to not do extensive studies to realize people will be put off by the smell and it will cost them sales. You can't physically tell me people are lining up in massive numbers to purchase their cologne that quite honestly smells like crap.

There are a number of people in this thread alone that say they can't stand the smell. I bet if we had somebody stand outside their store we'd get similar results.

In all fairness shops like lush, the body shop, etc. Yes you can briefly smell some of their products. You can't smell them from across the mall, in the parkade and they don't intentionally pump the crap into the air ventilation system.

It's bad business to implement something that even a small number of your potential cliental will not like.

losing what kind of buisness. I couldnt imagine what % of ppl love their clothes but cant enter the store because the smell doesnt permit them. Every person in this thread that cant stand the smell has alos noted how gay the clothes are lol. The cologne being pumped in isnt hurting their business, its their gay clothes, haha.

JRSC00LUDE
03-07-2011, 05:57 PM
It's being selfish of a corporate retailer to not do extensive studies to realize people will be put off by the smell and it will cost them sales. You can't physically tell me people are lining up in massive numbers to purchase their cologne that quite honestly smells like crap.

I would be willing to bet they did a hell of a lot more extensive study than a thread on the internet.....seems to me they are in no way hurting for business (unfortunate as that may be lol).

And no, perhaps people aren't lining up to buy that scent but they sure as shit are to buy their clothes (no, I don't understand that either).

And yes, I CAN physically tell you that as it required significant and continued muscle/connective tissue movement in my fingers to type this response. A very physical response to the electrical impulses emanating from my brain.

No.

It's bad business to implement something that the majority of your potential clientele will not like. Displeasing only the minority of potential clientele is not only preferable but, as I am sure some companies in the black may agree, potentially quite profitable.

Squishy
03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by LongCity

So... What's the difference between the people you are mocking and yourselves for doing this?

Edit for clarity: I do not like these brands either. Because I don't walk around with polo-shirts with my collar popped with big letters saying the preppy brand on it. Then again, girls wearing polo-shirts is weird to me, so it really doesn't apply, just fun to make fun of it.

But really... it's entertaining for the whole 10 seconds that we do it, can't blame us. :dunno:

right tomaz..

right?

ClearBluewater
03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Its really GOOD business considering small percentages of the whole population dont like it; and when considering their target market probably less than 1% dont like it. Therefore, they arent going to stop anytime soon, unless they decide to sell guns again.

sputnik
03-08-2011, 02:40 PM
w3-WzqfbVHU

vengie
03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Because I don't walk around with polo-shirts with my collar popped with big letters saying the preppy brand on it. Then again, girls wearing polo-shirts is weird to me, so it really doesn't apply, just fun to make fun of it.

But really... it's entertaining for the whole 10 seconds that we do it, can't blame us. :dunno:

right tomaz..

right?

Well according to this thread I am a giant douche! I love their t-shirts, I have never worn a more comfortable shirt. Yes I agree some of their clothes are obnoxious with the likes of "ABERCROMBIEISTHESHITTTT!!!" across the chest.

But at the same time, its a clothing brand people choose to wear, just like Affliction, Christian Audiger, Lu lu lemon, TNA, Bench and all those other brands.

So in my opinion before anyone starts knocking people for wearing certain brands take a look at yourself in the mirror and tell me you aren't also wearing a brand name!

Like JRSCOOLUDE mentioned... Stop worrying about what other people do and start living your own damn life! Everyone has become a concerned soccer mom.

And yes, I always joke about the smell they pump out in the malls... It is a weird marketing strategy, but lets face it, it works!

vengie
03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
w3-WzqfbVHU

That was awesome ahahah!

Squishy
03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by vengie
So in my opinion before anyone starts knocking people for wearing certain brands take a look at yourself in the mirror and tell me you aren't also wearing a brand name!

Like JRSCOOLUDE mentioned... Stop worrying about what other people do and start living your own damn life! Everyone has become a concerned soccer mom.
u mad?

Tomaz
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
w3-WzqfbVHU

HAHAHA!

as previously mentioned...

douche douche douche douche douche douche

(insert fist pumping here)

vengie
03-08-2011, 05:43 PM

u mad?

No far from! :)
I just find it humorous how concerned people are about how others live their lives! meanwhile they are living a far from perfect life themselves... Hypocrisy at its finest!

Everyone is a critic :poosie:

screw_loose
03-09-2011, 02:34 AM
I'd easily peg the number at 5% and maybe as high as 8% dont like it. I'm not saying it's the worst smell in the world it has to do with the strength of the odor. You walk into the body shop and yes you can smell their products but it's not to the point where its highly annoying.

I'd easily rate A&F up there with Lush in terms of just how annoying they are.

maxwinedog
03-10-2011, 11:49 AM
I want to complain the chinook mall security because each time i walk past the public washrooms i smell nothing but a huge wave of urine and humans taking massive dumps. All i can smell is fresh just released fecies.

So I put in a complaint today with Chinook Mall authority begging and pleading them to force the customers in Chinook Mall to stop taking massive dumps in their the mall. I'm not sure if many of you notice at all when your in that mall but you can seriously smell it a good 100+ feet away. Heck we could even smell it in the underground parkade.

I know I've heard a few others saying something similar and I figure there must be a few on here who get annoyed by it as well. For me it has more to do with allergies. It makes even being in that portion of the mall extremely difficult.

My rant for the day!

Tomaz
03-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by maxwinedog
I want to complain the chinook mall security because each time i walk past the public washrooms i smell nothing but a huge wave of urine and humans taking massive dumps. All i can smell is fresh just released fecies.

So I put in a complaint today with Chinook Mall authority begging and pleading them to force the customers in Chinook Mall to stop taking massive dumps in their the mall. I'm not sure if many of you notice at all when your in that mall but you can seriously smell it a good 100+ feet away. Heck we could even smell it in the underground parkade.

My rant for the day!

Sorry Champ, Bowel movements are uncontrollable, natural, and inevitable (I apologize in advance, it might have been me. that Edo goes right through me).

Abercrombie & Finch are in control of the substance they are pumping and they are also in control of how much can be pumped out.