PDA

View Full Version : How TV Ruined Your Life

Zephyr
03-08-2011, 01:08 AM
CP6L5S14ygY

Interesting video. Couldn't agree more with the super sweet 16 references.

broken_legs
03-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Pursuit of beauty, material wealth, sex, adultry, public violence etc... is exactly what happened to the Roman Empire before it went under.

Is there a lesson in history here for us?

zarge
03-08-2011, 07:09 AM
I thought stuff like this was common sense?? :dunno: :dunno:

sputnik
03-08-2011, 07:36 AM
There is a reason that I haven't owned a TV for almost a year now.

ZenOps
03-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Blasphemer!

The pursuit of happiness is what keeps hamsters in their wheels. What would a rabbit do all day if they didn't have a carrot dangled above their head. You have to give people something to aspire to, like a paper bill or some yellow metal - or it all falls apart.

If people ever achieved the carrot, nothing would ever get done.

Enjoy life, pah! Its underrrated :whipped:

CUG
03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Zephyr, epic find. :thumbsup:

bituerbo
03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Everyone wants to be great, that's always been the case.
What has changed, is what greatness is associated with today: wealth and celebrity.

arian_ma
03-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Makes me want to cry

CUG
03-08-2011, 11:43 AM
That chick who loses her wig at her mother for giving her that lexus at the wrong time of the day needs to be publicly... whatever'd.

Neil4Speed
03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Amazing amazing video.

I think Facebook can create some similar effects as well by creating this false impression that everyones day in day out life is partying, traveling and having a drunken blast.

Modelexis
03-08-2011, 09:39 PM
TV isn't the problem, it's the poor parenting that has raised these children to be the way they are.

I watched all this trash growing up and I have no material needs.

If parents are replaced with TV, yes, you get these problems in society.

creeper
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I think Facebook can create some similar effects as well by creating this false impression that everyones day in day out life is partying, traveling and having a drunken blast.

I read something about that recently, that Facebook was spawning depression because all you see is the "highlights", you don't see photos of them sitting at a desk all day inputting data, or sitting in traffic, or sitting in front of the TV.

I think people would be happier if they focused more on what would really satisfy them, spend their time wisely pursuing the things in their life that they enjoy, rather that rotting away on Gawker and TMZ. Or beyond for that matter.

:)

kvg
03-11-2011, 12:04 PM
The human race isn't working towards anything right now. We have no common goal.

arian_ma
03-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by creeper

I read something about that recently, that Facebook was spawning depression because all you see is the "highlights", you don't see photos of them sitting at a desk all day inputting data, or sitting in traffic, or sitting in front of the TV.

I think people would be happier if they focused more on what would really satisfy them, spend their time wisely pursuing the things in their life that they enjoy, rather that rotting away on Gawker and TMZ. Or beyond for that matter.

:)
I think the problem is that a lot of people these days don't see life outside of these things. Or if they do, they prioritize spending their money on THINGS over EXPERIENCES.

Tram Common
03-11-2011, 01:09 PM
That's because everyone of us thinks we're "special" little human beings.

Just read Beyond if you want proof of that.

My opinion matters!! :nut:

sputnik
03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common
That's because everyone of us thinks we're "special" little human beings.

Just read Beyond if you want proof of that.

My opinion matters!! :nut:

I heard it put this way...

If you consider the span of time that humanity has existed and take every person and their lives and compress it into a 2 hour movie... you would be barely an extra in one frame sitting in a massive stadium next to hundreds of thousands of other people.

The problem is that everyone actually thinks they are the main character in the movie.

Lets face it. Your life is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. The only influence you one day might have is how you raise your kids and how they in turn raise their kids (and so on).

Even money and possessions are temporary and could easily disappear or potentially curse your offspring when they just become heirs of a fortune and do nothing of any worth for society.

If you want to make the biggest difference in the world you can do it by doing the following.

- Be a good spouse
- Be a good parent
- Be a good friend
- Be a good citizen
- Live humbly
- Live with integrity

If you want to go the extra mile. Keep a journal. Write down your thoughts, your successes, your struggles and what you have learned along the way. Give it to your kids and grandkids to read so that they know you as a real person and can help them not make the same mistakes you did.

Everything else in life is meaningless.

Hakkola
03-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by creeper

http://www.switched.com/2011/01/28/facebook-makes-us-all-sad-because-everyone-is-happy-but-us/