PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this?

Kloubek
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
So, I recently sold the XJ. :(

I was going to keep the WJ until the roads were good enough for the Vette or Porsche, but then I came across this:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1999-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ265605260

What do you guys think? I'm guessing the driveshaft is a problem because of the high lift. Probably the ball joints as well, and I'm not sure what needs to be done to take the stress off either. The combination of a high lift with those rims is ridiculous, but I figure I could sell off the rims and get something more realistic.

For asking 2g though, seems like a fair deal?

FraserB
03-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Depending on the lift that was done you could be looking at widespread failure of joints and bushings in the rear end, bad ride in the front depending on SA or LA lift.

Front driveshaft is not a big issue, a custom one for the lift is a couple hundred dollars.

Transmission could either just be low fluid, dirty fluid or a bigger issue. Impossible to determine without seeing the Jeep and i wouldn't trust the seller to give you a straight story.

You need to find out the engine, axles, which kit it is and lift components before you consider looking at it.

Kloubek
03-08-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm not that concerned about the tranny - there are used ones around for cheap and I can't imagine that labour is *that* extensive. I can probably do it myself when it gets warmer....

Long arms are pretty much essential by the time you hit a 6" lift aren't they? I have emailed him and am trying to get more info.

FraserB
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Long arms in the front and an A-arm spacer or adjustable A-arm in the rear.

Tranny will be able to get a good idea by looking at fluid state and level.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-08-2011, 02:12 PM
If it's had a 6-inch lift on short arms for a year, I'll bet every single control arm bushing on that thing needs replacing. Conveniently, a set of long arms takes care of most of that issue. I've also got a sneaking suspicion that his not using it on the highway has less to do with "needs repairs" and more to do with "horrible death wobble brought on by old bushings and a 6" short-arm lift." That's just a guess, though.

Assuming it's a 4.0L, swapping in a used 42RE trans should be a relative cakewalk.

At any rate, you need to get some more info on it. Engine, lift, etc. If it checks out, $2000 isn't a bad price, especially if you can make a few bucks off of those fuck-ugly wheels.

Kloubek
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Aren't those wheels ridiculous? I mean, I get the idea of jacking up a vehicle... but no point in putting wheels like that on it in that case...

We'll see if he even responds. I'd be very curious to see if he added long arms or not - but I'm with you guys... he probably didn't.

The 99 4.0 still used the 42RE tranny; surprising... those have been around since 93. There should be no difficulty finding a used one - there are at least 2-3 available from my brief search.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah, if it's a Grand Cherokee and it's got a 4.0L, it's got a 42RE (excluding a few oddball AW4's in the '93s). They used it right up to 2004.

Kloubek
03-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Control arm kits are actually more expensive than I anticipated....

Gotta pay to play I suppose...

InRich
03-08-2011, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't do it, dont you already have enough toys anyway?
btw I love that porsche in your picture.... so nice.

FraserB
03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Trevor, I don't think its a 4.0. 5th gear probably means 545rfe transmission.

Jeff, if you go look at it I can give you a list of things to look at it and then a cost estimate if you decide to buy it.

Kloubek
03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Well, I'm selling the Corvette as soon as possible - so that will reduce the "toy collection" by one. And if I were to pick this up then I would also lose the WJ I currently have. I don't think having one sports car and one offroader is unreasonable.

Thanks for the compliments on the Porsche; that was a Beyond trade I made - the build thread is still lying around somewhere. All I've done so far is test drive it before I bought it, so I'm pretty stoked to get it on the road soon.

Thanks Fraser - I'll let you know if he responds and what info I can dig up.

Cos
03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by InRich
I wouldn't do it, dont you already have enough toys anyway?
btw I love that porsche in your picture.... so nice.

997TT - > '05 Vette -> 1980's Porsche.

Haha, quick fall from grace?

j/k

BerserkerCatSplat
03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Trevor, I don't think its a 4.0. 5th gear probably means 545rfe transmission.

Ah, good call, I totally missed the 5th gear mention. Although, I wouldn't put it past a guy with wheels like that to mistake 4th gear torque converter lockup for a 5th gear. :rofl:

Come to think of it, 1999's came stock with the 45RFE flash, so unless he's had it re-flashed to 545RFE spec it should still only be a 4-speed.

stealth131
03-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Isn't the engine not a 4.7L v8?

dieselpower91
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
That Jeep is a limited and has the 4.7L V8.
From my understanding they first had the 5spd auto starting 2002.

"I wouldn't put it past a guy with wheels like that to mistake 4th gear torque converter lockup for a 5th gear. "

I think that is the case.

I was in contact through email a few times with this guy and tried to get more info. He responded a few times and dropped off the earth apparently. I haven't heard since. He said that the lift was 4" kit plus 2" spacers. Wheels definitely don't belong on that Jeep!

Kloubek: Have you heard anything else from him?

Missing my low km 99' Limited I had last winter, Can't find anything close to the same deal I got on that!