PDA

View Full Version : Delivering a car to Houston, anything I need to know?

whiskas
03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a friend who is working in Houston now and they're starting to miss their car after driving a rental car for so long.

He's offering to pay for all costs to have me drive it down for him along with a flight back home. I'm thinking it'll be a pretty awesome adventure.

Is it as simple as hopping into his car with my passport and GPS? How would the drive/roads be at the end of March?

Are there any special preparations I have to make with his insurance company, any problems I might have crossing the border? Would they take kindly to someone driving a car across the border that isn't registered to them?

Jeremiah
03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I can't personally see any problems, just make sure you have all of the paperwork available and that you're polite and firm at the border

blitz
03-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Just make sure he didn't pack it full of coke or weed :thumbsup:

rage2
03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
The border guys won't be happy with you driving a CDN car and leaving it in the US. So don't tell them you're doing it. Just say you're visiting a friend. Don't book flights back until after you get into the US, because they can and will find out that you have pending flights back.

What is your friend planning on doing for registration and insurance? Running Alberta plates in Houston? Or is he looking to export the car to the US? Insurance only allows out of country for 6 months of the year.

darthVWader
03-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Get a notarized letter of consent from your bud saying you can borrow his car for the round trip. And then follow Rage2's advice.