PDA

View Full Version : U of C Geology program or SAIT Petroleum Engineering Tech Program?

zeus247
03-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi, anyone out there who can provide some insight on whether I should go for the U of C Geology program or SAIT Petroleum Engineer Tech diploma program?

Both of the programs are 2 yrs for me cause i have transfers from my previous bachelors degree. I am looking to enter the O&G industry, which i do not mind either positions as an Engine tech or a Geologist.

Just wondering which route would lead one to a job easier after 2 yrs of studies and which has a better earning potential in the first couple of years and or later.

I guess its a very subjective thing to advise but just would like to hear from those experienced in this areas or those with these degree or diploma.

Would really appreciate any perspective on these 2.

Thanks

93VR6
03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Easier to get a job with SAIT but your job options will be much more flexible with a true university degree.

sabad66
03-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Sait diploma is two years either way. I'd go for the degree if it indeed is only 2 more years... It'll just open up a lot more doors for you in the future

georgemagana
03-08-2011, 10:39 PM
my friend is taking petroleum at sait and he has 9 midterms every semester so if you decide to go for petroleum it would be lots of work so heads up lol

jsn
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Most degrees require work, unless you're taking communication studies or something like that. Shouldn't be afraid of putting in some hard work. If you only require 2 years for either of them, I'd personally go with the degree. Your options are usually more restricted when it comes to diplomas.

msommers
03-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Are you basically asking if you should be a geologist or an eng tech? That isn't for us to decide, those are completely different jobs!

JBreaks
03-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Geologists can make a killing, but they are also the first in front of the firing squad in a downturn. From what I have heard technologists experience a ceiling as far as pay goes, but can move into other O&G functions and become managers ect. just the same. Either is a good way to enter the industry, but do what you enjoy more because it will be hard to succeed if you hate your life every day.

desi112
03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Geologist > anything sait can provide.

more money, more power, more respect

money power respect all you need in life.

realazy
03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
There have also been threads in the past which say the Petroleum Eng Techs have the hardest time finding jobs.

Petroluem Eng Techs really only work for producers, where you'll be competing with Petroleum, Mechanical, and Chemical Engineers with degrees and mostly likely summer/co-op/intern experience. It's usually one of the most sought after jobs for new grad engineers.

Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Eng Techs are the ones that can find jobs easier because there are WAY more EPCM companies out there than there are producers.

A petroleum eng tech really has no place in an EPCM company. (regarding to related courses, of course they can adapt to project management, etc, but that's not my point)

zeus247
03-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by realazy
There have also been threads in the past which say the Petroleum Eng Techs have the hardest time finding jobs.

Petroluem Eng Techs really only work for producers, where you'll be competing with Petroleum, Mechanical, and Chemical Engineers with degrees and mostly likely summer/co-op/intern experience. It's usually one of the most sought after jobs for new grad engineers.

Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Eng Techs are the ones that can find jobs easier because there are WAY more EPCM companies out there than there are producers.

A petroleum eng tech really has no place in an EPCM company. (regarding to related courses, of course they can adapt to project management, etc, but that's not my point)

Are u saying graduates in Petroleum Engine Tech have difficulties finding jobs after graduation? It seems that the graduation employment data seems to show that employment rates are pretty high and also median pay scales range the highest of the all the eng tech programs.

I know, any degree or Diploma program requires lots of work, which i am accustomed to. I am just wondering which is a better route and easier way to land a job upon graduation. I am actually changing career, and i already have a degree in Finance and Applied Statistics. I just want an OK paying job, annual pay from 60 to 80K is sufficient.

I just want to know which route is a better route to take, cause i dont mind being a geologist or a petroleum engineer tech, as long as i can get a job easily upon graduation.

I am contemplating cause i have heard and read of geologist majors from U of C trying hard to land a job upon graduation while i have not heard of any SAIT graduates struggling to find a job upong graduation.

desi112
03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Why is everyone making this so complicated.

A petroleum Eng Tech is exactly what the title says a Tech.

A Geologist is a Geologist, not a Tech.
(not tech bashing please)

Just saying, if you have the option, I would definitely recommend the path of a Geologist.

msommers
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
I can tell you personally that we (UofC geologists) are having a hard time landing the jobs we want. Wellsite is always an option, as is graduate school, mining camps, field assistants etc however if you're looking for office work downtown it really is a struggle.

No clue about eng techs. I know when the boom was happening, a lot of techs had to put in little no effort to find a job. Hell, that was the case with almost everyone. Now, I'd guess it's getting difficult.

I believe SAIT offers a geology tech program.

zeus247
03-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I can tell you personally that we (UofC geologists) are having a hard time landing the jobs we want. Wellsite is always an option, as is graduate school, mining camps, field assistants etc however if you're looking for office work downtown it really is a struggle.

No clue about eng techs. I know when the boom was happening, a lot of techs had to put in little no effort to find a job. Hell, that was the case with almost everyone. Now, I'd guess it's getting difficult.

I believe SAIT offers a geology tech program.

Hi Thanks man for yr valuable insight.

Are u a U of C geology graduate? Just wondering how long did u get a job upon graduation and what kind of jobs most U of C geology grads land in.

Yes, SAIT did have a geology tech program sometime back but only NAIT offers it now. The petroleum tech program also covers quite a bit of geology courses but more specifically catered to the petroleum industry.

If its true that landing a job is easier to be a tech, then i wouldnt mind taking the tech program. i dont really care about the degree if it doesnt add value to finding a job upon graduation in 2 yrs time. Anyhow, i already have degrees under my belt.

realazy
03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Have you looked at job postings recently? I'd be surpised if you find many postings for a new grad petroleum eng tech.

There used to be a place for petroleum eng techs in producers, heck, a lot of the older people in my group now are techs. Things have changed though, now almost all new grads in upstream producers have degrees.

Like you said, the petroleum tech program covers mainly on geology, production, reservoir, etc. All of these are really only useful at a producer.

Geologists are also having a hard time finding postions, most geologists I know have a masters degree, which almost seems like a prereq nowadays.

Either way, competition for new grad office jobs in Calgary is always tough.

msommers
03-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by zeus247

Hi Thanks man for yr valuable insight.

Are u a U of C geology graduate? Just wondering how long did u get a job upon graduation and what kind of jobs most U of C geology grads land in.

I'll be graduating in the spring here. I've worked for Natural Resources Canada (government/public) for ~4 years and an 8-month term at a mid-size O&G company over the summer and fall. I'd very likely be back at the O&G company as they were quite pleased with me however because of gas prices, multiple geologists got pulled off of gas projects and shuffled around which essentially took my job - such is life. They don't have the budget to hire new grads and provide training :(. Had my resume and cover letter reviewed multiple times by professionals and they all said it checked out quite well. Wellsite and doing a research project with the government are options but not my preferences. I've applied to quite a few places and haven't heard anything. I'll be applying more now as the pressure of not having anything yet is getting to me.

That said, I know a few people who had work terms at O&G companies who got taken back. So it's not like there isn't anything out there, it's just tough. Even moreso if you don't have any experience or an 'in'.

turbotrip
03-15-2011, 04:59 AM
I know 3 university geologists who have been looking for jobs for over a year, and know many sait "engineers", none of who are currently unemployed

jazzyb
03-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
I know 3 university geologists who have been looking for jobs for over a year, and know many sait "engineers", none of who are currently unemployed

yes but once those geologists get jobs, their pay will make up for the time off, plus they have the ability to attend grad school...become professional geoscientists etc.

zeus247
03-15-2011, 10:01 PM
i have noticed that many geo-science jobs these days require more than just a bachelors, most require a Masters, especially for those jobs in the US. I dont intend to further my studies anymore after a Diploma, at most, finish the SAIT diploma and then work for a couple of yrs and transfer to those US unis that allow the transfers and then complete the bachelors, only if needed. I am not asking for mighty high salary, i am just seeking annual pay of 60 to 100K, which seems its achievable after 2 to 4 yrs of technologist experience in the O&G industry, so i will lean towards the SAIT program instead of the geology program cause there are simply too many geology bachelors grads who are unemployed. I do know that geologist can make more money than technologist or even engineers, but that is totally useless if u cant even land a job to acquire the experience u need to achieve that kind of level if u are not granted the opportunity. Pay-out eventally will even out unless u are bent on taking a masters in geology, which i dont think i am.

msommers
03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by zeus247
I dont intend to further my studies anymore after a Diploma...I am not asking for mighty high salary, i am just seeking annual pay of 60 to 100K, which seems its achievable after 2 to 4 yrs of technologist experience in the O&G industry

Umm...

Anyways, VERY FEW companies would require you to have a Masters. Shell and Imperial are the only ones that strongly favor those with one and even then I'm not sure it's technically required.

The sad part is, from my understanding, much of our undergrad programs in Canada with a thesis is more or less equivalent of doing a Masters elsewhere however no one will recognize that. Such is life.

Evaluate what you want to do with your life and figure out the rest later. Academic registration for programs is behind industry demand by something like 2 years, so keep that in mind.

TheCheff
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
After a quick scan of the SAIT job board there are 52 positions posted related to "engineering". I would say ~50% are for civil engineering, ~20% for electrical, ~10% geomatics and the rest split up between mechanical and petroleum.

There were very few jobs requesting a petroleum engineering diploma.

schocker
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
I had been looking for a job with my chem eng tech for about 16 months, and while I looked for jobs, there were always alot more positions asking for petro eng tech, so I would say the chances of finding a job are better than other eng techs. Just depends on what you want to go into i suppose. If you are a more hands on learner, sait is good for that compared to uofc, but of course having the geo degree will look alot better than a diploma even though you can still do fairly well with the diploma.

zeus247
03-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the valuable inputs. Academic credentials are not what i need or want. Practicality is what is really needed, especially when it boils down to landing a job and a reasonably good paying one. I have scanned for numerous jobs and most jobs these days require either an engineering tech diploma or a degree in engineering (those with more than 2 to 4 yrs experience only for those with degrees). Seems like companies are more willing to take in and train Techs rather then fresh engineers cause of the hands-on experience and the willingness to be trained and faster to contribute than EITs.

rinny
03-18-2011, 06:07 PM
FIELD WORK- Petroleum Eng'g Tech

OFFICE AND/OR FIELD WORK- Geology

This is all within the first few years. After a few years of either position you should have a chance of office work too.

Cos
03-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Not sure why everyone is arguing about this. If it was Petro Engg v. Petro engg tech yes fine. What he is asking is Geologist V. Petro Engg tech.

I would say it is based on what you think you are better suited for. When I worked for a service company all the Geo's were loaded but lived right next to me when I was on rig. Guess what the 3 guys who cant leave site are.

1.) MWD/DD (me)
2.) Company Men
3.) Geo's

Originally posted by rinny
FIELD WORK- Petroleum Eng'g Tech

OFFICE AND/OR FIELD WORK- Geology

This is all within the first few years. After a few years of either position you should have a chance of office work too.

Ummm no. A lot of geo's live on site just like a rough neck doing downhole soil analysis. Geologists may live in mining towns (elkford, sparwood, etc) or move to Fort Mac. You cant wait weeks for your analysis to come back you have to be where the action is.

Lots of techs get on with companies in town. I know at least two techs who work at Arc as I work with them day to day on wellsite ops.

Cos
03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
OP if you want to be an engineer dont become a tech. I am an electrical tech and there are 2 types of people who become techs.

1.) Those who want to do more operations side work, want to go into management, business, etc but want to have a technical background and dont want to do highly technical work.

2.) Who think they can confuse the world into believing they are engineers.

Techs and engineers are miles apart if you look at their jobs properly. Our engineering department tells me what I can install, does load testing on materials, basically writes standards, maintains the spreadsheets, and does proper engineering. Our techs are responsible for all design, maintenance, upgrading, systems calculation, and for the most part Project Management and Management.

In a company of 1000 I bet we have 75 engineers. 20 in Engineering and 55 in management or other roles (accounting, HR, etc). We probably have close to 250 techs. 75 of them are in design. 50 of them are in maintenance and system planning, and the remaining 125 are in operations, management, HR. We have maybe half a dozen techs who have moved into the engineering side and guess what, since they are not engineers they dont get the same respect.

I dont know enough about Geology to give you an accurate idea but this should at least help you to understand what a tech is and isnt.

msommers
03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
OP's foresight is very short - where can I get a job right away that pays well. In my opinion, completely ass backwards to how you should be looking at career choices. When we were in the boom, a huge influx of people registered for geology programs. Now look at us graduating... When things are in the shitter, then apply. By the time you're done, things may be back up again!

As I said before, we can't decide what you want to do because the jobs are entirely different. You might land a eng tech job right away and fucking hate it. You might wait a year to land a geo job but love it. Don't look at salary. Don't look at job openings. Look at yourself. What do you see yourself doing when you're 40?

You still have 2 years until you walk away with something. Do you really believe we are going to be in the same situation we are right now? O&G has and always will be cyclic, that's just the nature of the beast.

For me, I basically couldn't cut it to get into med school. So halfway through my bio sci degree I had no idea what to do. My mom suggested geologist because they were in demand, made good money and was still pretty science-y. The difference was that I job shadowed first and knew what I was getting into before I started. As the years went on, I found even more options that are available with the degree and that to me is exciting.

I can't speak from a technologist perspective, but from what I've heard through the grapevine, you become trained to do one thing very well.

Again, think about your career and not your salary. If you like your job and are good at it, the money will just come.

*I went back and reread this, I kinda sound like a dick. But hey, if it helps you from making a poor decision..good.

fajita123
04-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I agree with the main consensus here, geologist is the way to go imo. The ability to get a professional designation with APEGGA is a huge plus.

However, if you could get a Pet. Eng. degree in ~ the same amount of time, I'd take that route.