PDA

View Full Version : Uninsolated Garage Question

msommers
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
A question for those wiser than I am regarding engine startup temperature...

Is the temperature inside an uninsulated garage the same, warmer or colder than the temperature outside?

JordanLotoski
03-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Should be a few degrees warmer, as will get a small percentage of heat loss from your home.

msommers
03-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Sorry I should have gave more details.

The garage is detached. The backwall and ~1/3 of each side is cement and is dug into the hill while the sides are framed wood with the garage door being the front.

adidas
03-08-2011, 11:40 PM
While most of us will guess and common sense will say it will be warmer, if you really must know than get a thermometer and see what its like in there.

Mar
03-08-2011, 11:45 PM
If it shares a wall with a hill it'll be warmer because the organic compounds are exothermic.

racerjim
03-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Depends on what the weather is doing outside, i know in my garage when a chinook blows in its way colder in the garage. it holds the temperature. so iif it was - 20 overnight and a chinook comes in and its now 0, the garage is still -10.

CapnCrunch
03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
It should be slightly warmer on average. However as it starts to warm up during the day, the garage may stay colder.

CD007
03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Get a thermometer?

sputnik
03-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by CD007
Get a thermometer?

:werd:

Cos
03-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Attached (in my experience) will be just below freezing at the very coldest.

Non-attached (my parents are the only ones) was cold as hell. So I would say that it would be no more than 2/3 above ambient.

theken
03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
My garage is cold as fuck and its insulated and attached. buy a heater

codetrap
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
My garage is attached, and it rarely get's below +1C in there. Probably part of the reason is that our vacuum is in there and I really like a clean house so I pump a lot of warm air into there. :D

I found it really didn't make sense to put a heater in it as it never dipped down below -5C in the coldest temps, unless I left the garage door open overnight in really cold temps.

rony_espana
03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
At my old house my garage was attached and uninsulated, I never used a thermometer but I'm sure it was always colder inside the garage then outside.

Kloubek
03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
My garage is attached and insulated. While it is always obviously warmer in the garage during the winter - it still gets pretty cold in there when it is -20 or -30 outside.

When a garage is detached, I personally don't understand any benefit it has to higher temperatures except for:
1) The lack of wind chill (which affects you, but doesn't affect inanimate objects)
2) The fact that it will retain a little heat for a short period when it gets colder outside - thereby maybe making it slightly warmer in the evening or middle of the night.
3) Some potential minor heat from the ground (in your case).

At the end of the day, I don't think there is a lot of difference. And in fact, when it gets warmer outside in the morning I'd venture to guess your garage would actually slighty keep the cold in, if anything...