PDA

View Full Version : Friends don't let friends do hot yoga.

LollerBrader
03-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Tried hot yoga (on 17th) today. It was about as much fun as being waterboarded.

The room is 40 degrees and humid, like a steam room.. and then you're expected to do strenuous exercise for 75 mins. Thought my lungs were going to explode. Almost fainted or puked a few times. A few people left. Being stupid and thick, I stayed for the entire 75 minute ordeal. At a certain point, time no longer seemed as relevant.

I'm no stranger to yoga.. but this is something entirely new to me. I left feeling disoriented and dazed. Body is still humming. Feels good, but tired. I can't believe that people do this on a regular basis... Moreso, I can't imagine the amazing things it must do to your body.

Well, I did get an idea... The room was full of an assemblage of incredible women of the likes I've never seen before in one room. It was pretty awesome. I'd probably sell an organ to be a fly on the wall of the change room. Only a few guys.

I'll likely be back. Did I mention I'm stupid and thick?

I challenge any of the ballers here to go... Love to hear your thoughts.

Dumbass17
03-09-2011, 03:17 AM
are you a girl or a guy?

guys shouldn't do hot yoga

i tried yoga once, the p90x one, alone...in my room. and i will never do yoga again. guys aren't meant to bend like that. i have never been so exhausted

jaysas_63
03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
are you a girl or a guy?

chillin in a class with 15 hot chicks sounds A-OK with me:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjfhKLeRIb8&feature=fvwrelhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjfhKLeRIb8&feature=fvwre

:rofl:

revelations
03-09-2011, 08:59 AM
I dont think I spend 75 minutes in a GYM.... man that sounds killer.

Would like to try it, but prefer to ease into things like this first eg. 1/2 hr.

rage2
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by LollerBrader
I challenge any of the ballers here to go... Love to hear your thoughts.
Us ballers don't need hot yoga to sit in a room full of hot chicks.

adidas
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
What man goes into yoga to actually do exercises?

Sit at the back of the room and pretend like u are doing something, while checking out the hunnies in front of u. No need to go to a lululemon store to see girls in yoga pants.

l/l/rX
03-09-2011, 09:19 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/195134/yoga-classes/

I've been doing hot yoga weekly... I like it a lot. :dunno:

zipdoa
03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I do hot yoga early morning @ bodhi tree once in while... If you really push yourself and stretch well, it feels like you're born again after class is over. You do sweat a fuckload though...

Originally posted by rage2

Us ballers don't need hot yoga to sit in a room full of hot chicks.

At least in yoga they aren't immediately after your money!!!

msommers
03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I do hot yoga twice a week. MWF workout, T/Th hot yoga. I like it. It's made my breathing better while working out, more controlled, if I feel stressed anytime I can zone out and relax, core strength has increased and so has my flexibility. I tend to go in the evenings, make dinner and go to bed early because I'm just drained but in a good way. Christ I sound like an old lady :rofl:

Yesterday in a class of probably 30ish people, there was me and another dude. Being an intermediate class, there were no fatties either! :thumbsup:

core_upt
03-09-2011, 10:20 AM
First time I ever tried yoga was Hot Yoga on 17th.
One dude and 30 hot girls, yeah, seems pretty gay to me!
It's tough, but way better then normal yoga - feels like you're really working, and you do feel good after.

D'z Nutz
03-09-2011, 10:23 AM
I've considered doing hot yoga for a while now since it sounds like a good way to condition your body, however I've done very little yoga. Should I consider doing some regular yoga before jumping into hot yoga?

JfuckinC
03-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I wanna try it, but i hate being a fucking massive sweaty mess lol.. Like i get my sweat on at the gym, but i'm not a puddle, it grosses me out.

Maybe i'll do some yoga at home with my space heater aimed at me to test it out :rofl:

msommers
03-09-2011, 10:31 AM
If you're remotely fit just start doing it, D. I did and didn't want to puke after like some people talk about. Just don't do Bikram first. I try to drink more water on the days I go and pound as much as I can like an hour before. Seems to work alright.

Jeremiah
03-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I've always kinda wanted to try it because of the after effects, but I'm terribly unflexible and would hate to be judged by the other dude in class who can suck his own dick

GQBalla
03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
hot yoga is awesome. whats the problem?

Canmorite
03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
I've always kinda wanted to try it because of the after effects, but I'm terribly unflexible and would hate to be judged by the other dude in class who can suck his own dick

:rofl: :rofl:

jwslam
03-09-2011, 11:21 AM

i don't understand why a guy who could suck his own dick would ever leave his bedroom.

zipdoa
03-09-2011, 11:39 AM

Any good Yoga instructor will stress that personal improvement is the only thing that matters. As with anything in life, there will always be those who are better and those who are worse.

stealth131
03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

i don't understand why a guy who could suck his own dick would ever leave his bedroom. because it's only gay if you're giving it.

tobypaddock
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
are you a girl or a guy?

i tried yoga once, the p90x one, alone...in my room. and i will never do yoga again. guys aren't meant to bend like that. i have never been so exhausted

If its good enough for Iginla, its more than good enough for me.

D'z Nutz
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by msommers
If you're remotely fit just start doing it, D. I did and didn't want to puke after like some people talk about. Just don't do Bikram first. I try to drink more water on the days I go and pound as much as I can like an hour before. Seems to work alright.

Yeah, I hit the gym 2 or 3 times a week and do boxing training on top of that at least once a week so while I'm not the most fit guy by any stretch of the imagination, I like to think I'm far from a vegetable. I tend to lose energy really quickly when I get too hot, so I'm hoping some hot yoga might condition me for that better. I should go see if the YMCA has any drop in classes...

Gadgetboy
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm in the gym 3x a week, play sports twice a week, and try to go to hot yoga once a week. I couldn't imagine doing it on a regular basis though, sweating that much takes a toll on your body. And plus its actually pretty difficult.

If you've never done it, I'd definitely go to a few regular yoga classes first. Its just a bit much to learn yoga AND do it in a 40 or 50 degree room for the first time. I've definitely found it to be beneficial for balance and flexibility for the sports I play.

The first time I did it, I think that was the most I've ever sweat in my life, and that includes playing goaltender in hockey.

LollerBrader
03-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I've considered doing hot yoga for a while now since it sounds like a good way to condition your body, however I've done very little yoga. Should I consider doing some regular yoga before jumping into hot yoga?

Definitely. Start with a "Flow" style, progress to "Ashtanga/power". Do that for a while before doing hot yoga.

For those that do "hot yoga"... I did "Baptiste" at Hot Yoga on 17th. This was outrageously hardcore, and from my reading even hard as "hot" yogas go. Can anyone offer any insight?

max_boost
03-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Serious question but are there any beginner yoga classes out there? lol

zipdoa
03-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Serious question but are there any beginner yoga classes out there? lol

http://www.bodhitreeyoga.ca/class-descriptions

l/l/rX
03-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
I wanna try it, but i hate being a fucking massive sweaty mess lol.. Like i get my sweat on at the gym, but i'm not a puddle, it grosses me out.

Maybe i'll do some yoga at home with my space heater aimed at me to test it out :rofl:

Ya I sweat in the pits at the gym, but at hot yoga, i create lakes!!! Suggestion...don't wear a shirt while at hot yoga. Also bring 2 towels. One for your mat and another for when your 1st towel cant absorb no more sweat.

FYI...some places temps are different than others. Bohdi Trees is like 30 degrees, where as this new place I go to is 42!

ddduke
03-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

Ya I sweat in the pits at the gym, but at hot yoga, i create lakes!!! Suggestion...don't wear a shirt while at hot yoga. Also bring 2 towels. One for your mat and another for when your 1st towel cant absorb no more sweat.

FYI...some places temps are different than others. Bohdi Trees is like 30 degrees, where as this new place I go to is 42!

I'll usually go when I'm super hung and it makes me feel a ton better. When it comes to the chickens it's way better then regular yoga cause EVERY girl is in booty shorts and a sports bra.

But like wrx said, if you're a guy then you're shirtless, so if you're super self conscious then it's probably not the right place for you.

LollerBrader
03-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

But like wrx said, if you're a guy then you're shirtless, so if you're super self conscious then it's probably not the right place for you.

True enough, but it's not like chubbers are going to be taking the class... By the time someone thinks they're ready, they've probably got a half decent physique.

7thgenvic
03-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Three recommendations:
1) masterbate before hot yoga.. so much tight ass in there
2) sit in the back if your a n00b so you don't look like a n00b.
3) enjoy the show.

zipdoa
03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
Three recommendations:
3) enjoy the show.

Probably the best advice in the entire thread. :D

Talon23
03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
haha that is great advice. Im definitely hittin up the hot yoga this week! i gotta see what this is all about..

l/l/rX
03-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

I'll usually go when I'm super hung and it makes me feel a ton better. When it comes to the chickens it's way better then regular yoga cause EVERY girl is in booty shorts and a sports bra.

i would go if i was super hung for this reason as well, but when im hungover the whole day is a write off and im staying in bed. :rofl:

its not just your physique you can't be self conscious of, but literally the buckets of sweat you poor out as well. half way through a sess when im in the downward dog pose or something, when the room is soo quiet you can hear my sweat hit the mat over and over and over again, its quite embarrassing actually, especially when you look at some girls and they barely have any sweat on their bodies, but yet theyre wearing tank top and pants. its like "HOW do you not look like me right now?! fml"

Fat people do go to these classes as well, dont think its all hot and fit people. Some people in this thread make it out to be that all yoga places have smoking hot girls all the time. IMO its no different than the gym, except with sweatier people.

cream
03-10-2011, 01:52 AM
LOL, I went through the thread wanting to try it out.. until

when the room is soo quiet you can hear my sweat hit the mat over and over and over again, its quite embarrassing actually, especially when you look at some girls and they barely have any sweat on their bodies, but yet theyre wearing tank top and pants. its like "HOW do you not look like me right now?! fml"

Hahahah whats the place on 17th called?

LollerBrader
03-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Fat people do go to these classes as well, dont think its all hot and fit people. Some people in this thread make it out to be that all yoga places have smoking hot girls all the time. IMO its no different than the gym, except with sweatier people.

This is true for most yoga classes... They have folks of all shapes and sizes.

Baptiste Vinyasa (@ Hot yoga on 17th) is different... it is the triathlon of Yoga. Pretty well everyone in the class looks like they stepped out of a catalog. Looks like there's a sister school at Crowfoot for those in the NW.

For the guy that suggested tugging before class... All humor aside, it's better to save that energy for the workout than to squander it.

Aparrently there's a 90 minute Baptiste class. I'm dying to try it. It would probably kill me, but if I survived the experience, imagine I'd feel pretty awesome.

LollerBrader
03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by cream

"Hot yoga on 17th"
"Hot Yoga on crowfoot"

http://www.hotyogaon17th.com/

7thgenvic
03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Did anyone else buy the 30 pack special on Calgarydeals blog to "Tri-Yoga"

If so, how are you liking it?

stealth131
03-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Three recommendations:
3) enjoy the show. or just take one home with you :dunno:

jwslam
03-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by stealth131
or just take one home with you :dunno:
only one?

JfuckinC
03-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by cream

lol same! fuck...

l/l/rX
03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Another few suggestions...don't go on an empty stomach, unless you don't mind everyone hearing your stomach growl constantly. Don't go on a full stomach, yoga makes you hella gassy when full and it's very easy to let one slip out in certain poses and clenching your ass for 90 min is NOT fun.

TRY not to laugh at other people when they do fart. People accept it for the most part, because well yoga is very hippy imo. Don't be surprised to see chicks with hairy armpits. :barf:

ddduke
03-12-2011, 04:31 PM

I did, only shitty part is that you have to either go late in the evening or around 5:30-6am just to park. The studio itself has 2 parking stalls and that's it. But there girls there are super hot, only 3 guys that I've seen go.

LollerBrader
03-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Followup:

I've gone 4 times now. I feel like I've done 6 months worth of other kinds of yoga. I can only call this "Transformative".

msommers
03-13-2011, 10:27 AM

This is where I'm going right now.

As for parking, just park on the street or at Coop.

Khyron
03-13-2011, 11:50 AM
So which style is the least about meditation/spiritual stuff and more about flexibility and core strength? I also am terrible for working in the heat and I need to get used to it.

Trad, Moksha, Baptiste vin or Vinyasa Flow? I did read the description on the web site but they all seem the same.

LollerBrader
03-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
So which style is the least about meditation/spiritual stuff and more about flexibility and core strength? I also am terrible for working in the heat and I need to get used to it.

Trad, Moksha, Baptiste vin or Vinyasa Flow? I did read the description on the web site but they all seem the same.

All have a metaphysical component, but none are about sitting around and praying to shiva.

If you do enough yoga, you will come to see the spirituality is in everything - not only the confines of a class or building.

All are good for core strength.

Find a big school with a beginner's class close to you and just try it for yourself. I started at Yoga Passage downtown, in their beginners class, and am glad I did, but any old yoga school should work.

LollerBrader
03-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Edit - repost.

SIC1
03-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

are you a total beginner? Have you tried any yoga class?

Moksha is a set series of poses and it is probably the best for beginners in a heated setting. Yin is my fav after a long day of cardio or legs as these postures are held for a longer intervals (1-5 minutes in one position to access the deeper fibres of the muscles and fascia). Vinyasa flow is a shorter held poses that allow for flexibility and strength. requires a lot more full body attention as the poses are interlinked

The key to any yoga class is breathing correctly. The longer you can inhale and exhale under control the more the body can adapt to the poses.

b_t
03-15-2011, 11:28 AM
I did hot yoga once and god damn... I felt like a new man after. Haven't been back since but I'm going to make it a regular part of my routine when I get home

Chester
03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Another few suggestions...don't go on an empty stomach, unless you don't mind everyone hearing your stomach growl constantly. Don't go on a full stomach, yoga makes you hella gassy when full and it's very easy to let one slip out in certain poses and clenching your ass for 90 min is NOT fun.

TRY not to laugh at other people when they do fart. People accept it for the most part, because well yoga is very hippy imo. Don't be surprised to see chicks with hairy armpits. :barf:

Oh man, if I drink a DQ chocolate milkshake and hit one of these classes....game over.

Khyron
03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by SIC1

are you a total beginner? Have you tried any yoga class?

Moksha is a set series of poses and it is probably the best for beginners in a heated setting. Yin is my fav after a long day of cardio or legs as these postures are held for a longer intervals (1-5 minutes in one position to access the deeper fibres of the muscles and fascia). Vinyasa flow is a shorter held poses that allow for flexibility and strength. requires a lot more full body attention as the poses are interlinked

The key to any yoga class is breathing correctly. The longer you can inhale and exhale under control the more the body can adapt to the poses.

Did two "sessions" as pre-warmup, morning stretch before a fitness camp, but no proper yoga class. I run a lot so it's gotta be a companion to that. I'll just try a few different classes and see what's what. I guess I need to buy a yoga mat - a black martial arts crash mat would probably be gauche.

Tram Common
03-30-2011, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by LollerBrader
Followup:

I've gone 4 times now. I feel like I've done 6 months worth of other kinds of yoga. I can only call this "Transformative".

Try doing power yoga three times a week, you'll want to die.

My Mom used to teach power yoga back in the day and I would attend three times a week to help with my kung-fu and grappling.

Other than a twenty minute long ground fight, it's by far the best workout I've ever encountered.

You have to be willing to push yourself though... I mean, there's a reason dudes can do shit like this for twenty minutes straight with just power yoga and ashtanga yoga training:

http://comfortinstylemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Extreme-Yoga-Advanced-Yoga-Poses-3.jpg

revelations
04-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Three recommendations:
3) enjoy the show.

Went last week for the first time. Was supposed to be "warm" Yoga but I'm pretty sure it was hot where I was situated in the room, next to a humidifier and the overhead heat source.

1) no need to jerk off, you're far too worried about falling over and staying balanced rather than staring at the incredible butt in front of you doing a down dog

2) def true

3) see #1

a) bring a huge ass towel to cover the whole yoga mat, otherwise you will have a hard time staying put with all the sweat you leak on the ground.

b) take a drink break once in a while

c) stretch before starting, ie come early

d) wear a tight shirt so that it doesent come up to your face when you do wierd positions

KRyn
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by revelations

d) wear a tight shirt so that it doesent come up to your face when you do wierd positions

Who wears a tshirt? I go shirtless in short shorts.

revelations
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Who wears a tshirt? I go shirtless in short shorts.

hmm.... not a bad idea.

cricks11
04-21-2011, 01:58 AM

I go on weekends and I find the "hot" class better than the "warm" or "flow" classes. There's 2 or 3 instructors but I personally like the lady one a lot better than that guy, he just doesn't do it for m.e

l/l/rX
04-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common

Try doing power yoga three times a week, you'll want to die.

By any chance is there another name for "power yoga?" I'm trying to find a class at the places I go to, but no dice so far/ it may be called something else.

msommers
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I would say Bikram = power yoga but I'm no expert.

Jerms
04-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Chester

Oh man, if I drink a DQ chocolate milkshake and hit one of these classes....game over.

Holy shit, this is one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum.. hahahah

SIC1
04-23-2011, 09:42 AM

By any chance is there another name for "power yoga?" I'm trying to find a class at the places I go to, but no dice so far/ it may be called something else.

"Power Yoga" usually a derivative of Ashtanga Yoga. You can also try "Vinyasa Flow" or "Flow" as those are also other names used.

Ashtanga is the "pure unadulterated form/version with a set series of starting postures. Vinyasa/ Flow /power yoga are names used by the studios/yoga instructors that are used to change up the routine. Most start with Sun Salutations and then branch off from there.

ZorroAMG
04-23-2011, 12:17 PM
The dudes that make fun of yoga are the same ones that can't do it or are afraid of looking stupid in a room full of people who don't give a shit.

Try something new you neanderthals LOL

Jlude
04-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
The dudes that make fun of yoga are the same ones that can't do it or are afraid of looking stupid in a room full of people who don't give a shit.

Try something new you neanderthals LOL

QFT

Khyron
04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Did my first session of hot yoga today, 90 mins at bohditree - was the only newbie, and 1 of 4 dudes and 30+ women. Was pretty good, but it wasn't a cardio issue for me at all. Just strength in weird ways, and flexibility. Working out in the heat was my main goal, and it was great for that. I seriously was 4 pounds lighter when I got home and I drank a full bike bottle of water.

No one was shirtless, and I've heard enough girls making fun of em to keep mine one. I got lots of underarmor compression stuff which works great.