PDA

View Full Version : Easily Network Windows PC's

natejj
03-09-2011, 07:08 PM
We've got 2 PC's running Windows 7, and the box hooked up to our TV is running XP. Whats the easiest way to network these bad boys so the one running XP can access media I download on my desktop, running windows 7?

Guillermo
03-09-2011, 07:11 PM
on the windows 7 pcs, just share the media folders. then, from the xp box, just browse to the PC and log in using the primary username/password for the windows 7 machine. you can just play the files from the remote pc. it's super simple. if you can't figure it out, just google it.

Mar
03-09-2011, 07:13 PM
1. Open Computer
2. Top of window, click Map Network Drives
3. Select remote machine folder
4. Click next, Finish

Presto, the media folder you selected is now mapped as a network drive on your local machine. What would be even easier is to setup the network locations as media locations inside your media centre.......Boxee, XBMC, whatever you're using.

natejj
03-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Mar
1. Open Computer
2. Top of window, click Map Network Drives
3. Select remote machine folder
4. Click next, Finish

Presto, the media folder you selected is now mapped as a network drive on your local machine. What would be even easier is to setup the network locations as media locations inside your media centre.......Boxee, XBMC, whatever you're using.

The remote machine's folders aren't showing up anywhere under "map network drives". I know they are shared because between the 2 windows 7 pc's, they share flawlessly.

roopi
03-09-2011, 07:43 PM
When you goto My Network Places can you see all the computers? Do all the computers have the same network group name?

natejj
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by roopi
When you goto My Network Places can you see all the computers? Do all the computers have the same network group name?

This is where I get a little confused, the windows 7 machines are on the same "homegroup", named Wiggum.

The XP machine, if I go to "my network places" is empty. I am not sure how to get it to join the Windows 7 Homegroup, because I think that is a windows 7 feature. The XP pc is able to ping the Windows 7 PC's. I also did a search for the Windows 7 machine and found it, just using search, but whenever I try to double click on it, it gives me

"\\Nathan-PC is not accessible. You might not have persmission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: account currently disabled."

I have every box checked "yes and enable" on the windows 7 box, to allow other PC's to connect to it... so I dont know.

natejj
03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Derp Derp

So, I just typed in "\\Nathan-PC" in the XP box and voila, it found my windows 7 machine. Problem is, it only has access to a "public" user. I want to give it access to my full windows 7 machine, is this possible?

adam c
03-09-2011, 08:04 PM
right click on your C drive and choose share

natejj
03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by adam c
right click on your C drive and choose share

Mmmm I'm getting Closer,

I can see the folder's that I've shared, but I can't access them. I get "access is denied". Going to continue checking boxes and clicking YES

adam c
03-09-2011, 08:31 PM
when you shared it, did you type in Everyone and set to co-owner?

as well, when you connect to the remote computer, you need to be using credentials that have admin rights on the computer

natejj
03-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by adam c
when you shared it, did you type in Everyone and set to co-owner?

as well, when you connect to the remote computer, you need to be using credentials that have admin rights on the computer

When I shared it, I set it to Everyone.

Lol this is way too much stress. I'm just going to put windows 7 on this stupid box.

Mar
03-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Windows 7 and XP don't network together very easily, I spent last week setting up networks for a client.

You want to either install FreeNAS on the file server or set up the location in your media center. Forget about mapping drives and finding shared files.

Guillermo
03-09-2011, 08:51 PM
lol! if you can install windows 7, just do that. windows 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XP. :thumbsup:

natejj
03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
lol! if you can install windows 7, just do that. windows 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XP. :thumbsup:

Yeah it's going to take at least 6 hours to backup all this shit on the xp box.... woo. Thanks for the input guys, learned a lot about networking!

adam c
03-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Win7 -> XP works better than XP -> Win7

FreakinPrince
03-09-2011, 09:05 PM
just doing that few days ago and got it all sort out

need to set permission here and there and shared allowed here and there

able to do with xp, vista and win 7

Mar
03-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by natejj

Yeah it's going to take at least 6 hours to backup all this shit on the xp box.... woo. Thanks for the input guys, learned a lot about networking!
Don't back up anything, if it's in your user folder Windows will automatically create a backup when you install right over it.