PDA

View Full Version : Problem at the DMV

epp01
03-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm trying to register / get an OOP forum for a car I just bought, the lady behind the counter didn't seem like she knew what she was doing anyways. She told me that the car had been in a "salvage" title and she doesn't know what forum I have to get now, either get a salvage inspection or just an OOP. She wasn't very helpful and told me she had to make some phone calls and call me back tomorrow. I ran a carfax on the VIN and it says the car was in a salvage accident back in 1995. It has since been registered in Ontario. But it hasn't been re-registered since 2004. She said that salvage happened back in Quebec. I have a temp. registration forum from the previous owner but that's it. I'll copy the car fax.

05/25/1995 Quebec
Motor Vehicle Dept. SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED
01/04/1996 Ontario
Ministry of Transportation Registration issued or renewed
Passed safety inspection
Vehicle color noted as Black

* Hold on, it looks like the salvage title from Quebec didn't get transferred to Ontario when this vehicle was sold. This may be a case of Title Washing. Get an inspection before you buy.

06/16/1999 88,485 Ontario
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
Odometer reported as 142,403 kilometers
05/31/2000 92,716 Ontario
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
Odometer reported as 149,212 kilometers
09/16/2000 Ontario
Ministry of Transportation
Central Ontario Registration issued or renewed
09/16/2001 Ontario
06/24/2002 118,932 Ontario
Inspection Station Failed emissions inspection
Odometer reported as 191,403 kilometers
06/26/2002 Ontario
Inspection Station Emissions inspection performed
07/09/2002 118,933 Ontario
Inspection Station Emissions inspection performed
Odometer reported as 191,405 kilometers
07/10/2002 118,934 Ontario
Inspection Station
Whitby, ON Passed emissions inspection
Odometer reported as 191,406 kilometers
01/20/2003 Ontario

If the car has been re-registered in Ontario that means that I just need an OOP not a salvage inspection? CarFax shows nothing from 2004 onwards.

spikerS
03-09-2011, 08:34 PM
if the vehicle has already passed a salvage inspection in another provice, then all you need to do to register it in Alberta is an OOP.

again, that is dependant if the vehicle has already passed a salvage inspection elsewhere.

BlackArcher101
03-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Should see what a carproof report pulls up.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Needs an OPI not a salvage, it's already a salvage. talk to a supervisor next time.

crapstixs
03-09-2011, 09:41 PM
there is somthing weird going on with this. you notice he km readings on the air care history. i think the car was written off in quebec, fixed, then went to ontairo and some how slipped under the radar. so in reality should it not still have the salvage title. your going to need a write off inspection. unless the title of the vehical is rebuilt then it just needs a oop.
non the less, shitty deal.

crapstixs
03-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Needs an OPI not a salvage, it's already a salvage. talk to a supervisor next time.
you cannot registor a car that has a salvage title.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-09-2011, 09:47 PM
ooooooooh I was thinking rebuilt for some reason.

epp01
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
"05/04/2004 Ontario
Greater Toronto Area Registration issued or renewed
New owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
"

Would this not mean that it has already been registered since the salvage? Since this is 9 years later and it was a new owner who registered it?

crapstixs
03-09-2011, 10:04 PM
ide be looking very close at the vin right about now. make sure the vin on the fire wall matches the one in the door and dash. jump onto google and get a vin break down chart and check the vin to the car. if the vin says it should have a 5.3L engine make sure it has a 5.3L engine. half of the history you have could be from a car thats sitting in a junk yard right now. i dont in any way think this is going to turn out good for you. unless some registory office made a big oops some were in the life of the car.

epp01
03-09-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm confused though, wouldn't the registry office have caught on in Ontario? Or did the registry office in Ontario make the big mistake?

crapstixs
03-09-2011, 10:10 PM
what is the vehical status on your temp registoration say? if its rebuilt, you have nothing to worry about it was just written off at one point. if it says salvage you got screwed and need a salvage inspection.

epp01
03-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Doesn't say anything buddie, just looked at it "said" he registered it in Manitoba but I doubt that now, or he used the "other" vin on the car to register it, if the car has a title on Carfax that's "Salvage" does that mean it needs a salvage inspection? Or if it says Rebuilt does that mean it's had one?

crapstixs
03-09-2011, 11:11 PM
to be totaly honist, what carfax and carproof say kinda dont mean shit. they are companys not the govenment. what the govenment says your car is, thats what it is. and yes if it is salvage it needs a write off. if it says rebuilt of active you just need a oop.

epp01
03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Alright thanks for all your help, I guess I'll see what the lady says tomorrow when she calls me back.

J-hop
03-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
there is somthing weird going on with this. you notice he km readings on the air care history...

not sure if this is what you are referring to but one is in miles and the other in kms, looks like the person was trying to get it passed inspection in 02 and took a number of tries.

the registry people are pretty stupid sometimes and don't understand when they need to convert between miles and kms (or it could be a case of them not labeling the data correctly when inputting it). When I was looking for a car about 3 years ago, 5 out of the 10 cars I put through carfax were flagged by carfax because registry people didn't input the data properly and the mileage got flipped between miles and kms

for reference 118,900 miles= 190,240kms so you can see the numbers match up quite well.

or were you referring to something else??

epp01
03-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Haha what's funny is that I JUST noticed that, if you look at what carfax says it looks like they were putting in the actual KM's but displaying them as Miles, then when the person gave the mileage in miles it flagged an error saying the odometer droped off by 60,000kms but if you convert that "miles" to km's it gained 10,000kms lol. Plus the car only has 155,000kms on it right now.

71/454
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I remember something about some scam with written off vehicles ending up in other provinces because they were not written off in that system, this was how out of province inspections came to be I thought. I was pretty sure it was in the late 90's. It would seem that this vehicle was written off before the law changed and registered in Ontario. If it lived it's whole life there I can see it not coming to light til now. Regardless if you title search it and Alberta registries lists it as salvage, you need a salvage inspection. Unless you have a copy of the original salvage inspection of course. I don't think they would take it though since the rules have gotten alot tighter since 95 I would assume.

crapstixs
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
ok that dose make sence.
im still curious about the title.

epp01
03-09-2011, 11:45 PM
faaaaack. Alright well now I should start finding a shop to do a salvage inspection. I know they're bitch's to pass but we've had it on a hoist before and the only thing it needed was brakes looking over the hole car. We'll see. Hopefully the girl just calls me tomorrow and says it's okay and just needs an OOP.

The only thing that seems weird to me is here on CarFax where it says

"Passed safety inspection" On the first time it was registered in Ontario after the "Salvage" title from Quebec... mhmm. No where else does it say it passed a safety inspection. Just passing emission testings.

dannie
03-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Heres how it works.

In Alberta, when a request for inspection is requested, the clerk is required to do a search across Canada called a Ccmta. When they do this search, they are verifying the vehicles status throughout each and every province.

When the search is completed, the clerk is required to use the *worst* status that comes up. As an example, if the vehicle was registered in BC and has an active status, got sold and was last registered in ON with an active status, the clerk will create the vehicle in Alberta with a status equal to that pending the outcome of an inspection.

In your case, the vehicle might have a rebuilt status in one province, but it still has a salvage status in the other. This means that the clerk is required to create it according to the salvage status. What they are going to tell you tomorrow is that you will be required to do a salvage inspection on the vehicle instead of the out of province.

While I understand your frustration with not being able to walk out of the office, if I were you, I would be happy that the clerk gave a shit and wanted to confirm what should be done, instead of just giving you the wrong forms. That would be a much worse headache for you.

If you need any more info on this, or need any clarification, feel free to PM me.