PDA

View Full Version : Police to investigate Chara hit.

Kennyredline
03-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Holy crap!! Really?

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110310/nhl-hits-Pacioretty-110310/20110310/?hub=CalgaryHome

CTV.ca News Staff

Montreal police have announced they will investigate a devastating hit that sent Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty to hospital with a cracked vertebra, as public outcry over the incident continues to grow.

The police force confirmed Thursday that it has launched a criminal probe at the behest of Quebec's director of criminal and penal prosecutions, Louis Dionne.

"Like all police investigations, evidence will be gathered and an investigation report will be submitted (to the DCPP)," Dionne's spokesperson Martine Berube said Thursday.

"(The DCPP) will then evaluate to see whether there's grounds for prosecution."

When asked what kind of punishment might result from the case, Berube said it was too soon to say.

"That would depend on what charges are laid. That's a little difficult to predict at this point."

Pacioretty remains in hospital recovering from a severe concussion and a fractured vertebra he suffered in a hit by Boston bruins captain Zdeno Chara on Tuesday evening.

During a news conference on Thursday afternoon, Prime Minister Stephen Harper urged the NHL to deal with the growing number of serious injuries in the league.

"I want to express sympathy to Mr. Pacioretty, his family, his teammates," Harper told reporters, adding that he hopes to see the 22-year-old "have a full recovery and get back on the ice.

"I think we're all concerned, and I hope the league is concerned, about the number of very serious injuries we've seen in recent times -- and I do think that is something that they're going to have to address."

The QMI news agency also reported Thursday that Air Canada has sent a letter to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman saying that it does not want to associate its brand "with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality."

The company's letter adds: "…from a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents."

Bettman responded Thursday by saying that Pacioretty's injury is horrific, it's part of the game.

"Our hockey operations people are extraordinarily comfortable with the decision that they made," Bettman said. "It was a horrific injury, we're sorry that it happened in our fast-paced physical game, but I don't think whether or not supplemental discipline was imposed would change what happened."

Bettman also said the league can replace any sponsors that pull out.

On Wednesday, NHL senior vice-president Mike Murphy said Chara will face no further league discipline for the hit, which he called "a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface."

He added, "I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous."

Chara was given a penalty for interference and a game misconduct.

Gary Lunn, the federal minister responsible for sport, has said the league should take action following Chara's hit and put out a clear message that it was unacceptable.

Police in Montreal have had to ask Canadiens fans to stop calling to file complaints against Chara. Police said their emergency lines started getting flooded shortly after the league announced there would be no suspension.

Pacioretty says he's "disgusted" that the NHL didn't suspend Chara for the hit.

"I am upset and disgusted that the league didn't think enough of (the hit) to suspend him," Pacioretty told TSN's Bob McKenzie Wednesday.

"I'm not mad for myself. I'm mad because if other players see a hit like that and think it's okay, they won't be suspended, then other players will get hurt like I got hurt."

"It's been an emotional day. I saw the video for the first time this morning. You see the hit, I've got a fractured vertebra, I'm in hospital and I thought the league would do something, a little something. I'm not talking a big number, I don't know, one game, two games, three games... whatever, but something to show that it's not right."

Dr. Blaine Hoshizaki, an expert in sport concussions at the Neurotrauma Impact Laboratory at the University of Ottawa, says while he doesn't know the details of the injury, there is a very real possibility that Pacioretty will never play for the NHL again.

"Not only the fractured vertebra, but also the severe concussion -- both can be career-ending injuries," he told CTV's Canada AM from Ottawa Thursday.

"Any time you damage the vertebrae, it's a serious injury. Fortunately, it's not displaced, which is very important because often these injuries can be resolved. However, it really depends on the type of fracture that occurred."

Hoshizaki notes that injuries such as this one are not altogether common, but nor is this an isolated case in hockey, since hits are an integral part of the game.

"It doesn't really matter if the hit was illegal or not illegal. The question that has to be asked is: is that risk that is part of the game reasonable for anyone who wants to play hockey to have to accept that sort of injury risk?"

Harper said it may not be up to politicians to deal with the problem at the professional level. Instead, federal officials may "take action" to deal with what Harper said is a growing number of serious injuries in children's sports.

"You are seeing a growing number of head and brain injuries in sports competitions at the child and amateur level, and this is something that we are looking to address," he said.

With files from The Canadian Press

top_speed
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
wow:eek:

Jlude
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
If he wasn't french, they wouldn't have investigated... fucking Quebecois.

But on a serious note... there was nothing wrong with the hit, it just happened to be in a bad spot. I don't think Chara meant to do that, he just happened to be doing what he's paid to do, but the glass started where the check ended. Maybe they should look at making the rinks safer?

roopi
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
Holy crap!! Really?

[url]
Police in Montreal have had to ask Canadiens fans to stop calling to file complaints against Chara. Police said their emergency lines started getting flooded shortly after the league announced there would be no suspension.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Who does this?

SOAB
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
this is fucken rediculous.

the NHL should just move the Montreal Canadiens and never have to deal with the retarded Quebecois again. :banghead:

kenny
03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
NHL needs to angle the glass at that location. Easy fix that would eliminate major injuries but huge :facepalm: to those that called 911 because of this.

jdmXSI
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
WOW... That has gone a little too far IMO. I agree with Pacioretty that there should be a suspension but thats where it should end. Hitting is apart of the game and yes if you want to play hockey, you have to be prepared to get hit. What's next, no physical contact in any professional sport or better yet so the teams dont suffer from emotional trauma lets take out scoring while were at it..

/rant

Kloubek
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Wow. Even if you think the hit was dirty (which it wasn't), does it *really* need to involve police? Seriously....

D'z Nutz
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
No you idiots! The Onion News is fake! Oh wait...

Benny
03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Holy crap!! Really?

"Yes? Yes Allo? Is dis da police? Yes, I wanna see that monster Chara in jail! TABARNAC!!"

http://i.imgur.com/d2HbN.jpg

Nothing wrong with the hit. Chara's just a beast. This kinda shit happens in the NHL. Quit your bitching Frenchies.

PGTze
03-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Fucking Quebec, I have a hard time believing any of this would be happening if it was a Bruin laying on the ice. What was Chara supposed to do? Let him skate by?

93VR6
03-10-2011, 03:21 PM
They say there are investigating just to shut up all the stupid habs fans, no way he'll be convicted of anything.

EFHatch
03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm surprised they are not investigating the shit-kicking they took during the winter classic.

Clean hit, agree with the angled glass at that point. I actually brought that up on after hours right after Edmonton game years ago with the same sort of hit.

MilanoRedTeg
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Somebody please tell me that Boston is playing in Montreal again before the end of the season

Everlast
03-10-2011, 04:21 PM
March 24 Boston will hosts the frenchies

AaronK
03-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Wow this is nuts, who calls the police over a hit?! hahahaha

tom_9109
03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
The hit was clean. Just wrong place at the right time. He had no intent to hurt the guy. I do agree they need to angle the glass there.

Mibz
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Mr. Molson just gave a public statement on behalf of the team basically calling the hit violent. I'm pretty sick of people using this as a catalyst when at least a dozen worse hits exist.

Kennyredline
03-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Lots of people are pissed off at this though....Chara should be suspended, to at least quell a friggin' riot!

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/sports/article/118151--air-canada-reportedly-threatening-to-withdraw-nhl-sponsorship-over-chara-hit

The NHL’s decision not to penalize the Boston Bruins Zdeno Chara for his hit on the Montreal Canadiens Max Pacioretty could end up costing big bucks.

The player was released from hospital on Thursday, two days after Chara knocked Pacioretty into the glass partition between the benches during a game. Pacioretty suffered a severe concussion and a non-displaced fracture to the fourth cervical vertebra in his neck after the hit.

Air Canada, one of the league’s biggest sponsors, has sent a letter to the NHL threatening to withdraw its financial support if it doesn’t immediately crack down on violent headshots.

The letter was sent from Denis Vandal, the airline’s director of marketing/communication, and states that “from a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents.”

Another major player in Canadian hockey, Tim Hortons, is also weighing in on hockey head injuries.

"From the youngest Timbit players to the old-timers’ recreational leagues, hockey is a wonderful team sport, with a special connection to communities in Canada and the U.S. Tim Hortons encourages the NHL, the teams and general managers and the NHL Players Association to continue to work towards addressing concerns with head injuries," the company said in a statement Thursday.

Meanwhile, Quebec's Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions requested a police investigation into the hit Thursday morning.

The agency has sent its recommendation to the Quebec Public Security department.

However the request doesn’t guarantee an investigation will occur.

The hit has once again re-ignited the debate over violence and headshots in the NHL.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper spoke out about violence in hockey on Thursday, saying the league needs to take a serious look at the issue "for its own sake," but would not comment on the Chara hit. Sudbury NDP MP Glenn Thibeault has asked the Conservative government to support a bill to reduce concussions and serious injuries in amateur sport.

Within the NHL, many of Paciorretty’s teammates are also speaking out.

''Looking at the replay, it looked pretty blatantly obvious what was trying to be done there,'' said Montreal goaltender Carey Price ''It's pretty sad to see someone take someone's life into their hands like that.''

"What I remember about it was the sound — it sounded like a gun: bang!" said Pacioretty's linemate Scott Gomez. "Stuff like that is tough to look at."

However, both Chara and league officials are holding firm in their assessment of the hit.

"I feel bad about what happened," Chara said. "I was trying to make a strong hockey play and play hard and it's very unfortunate, like I said, that a player got hurt and had to leave the game."

"After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly — with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards,” said NHL senior vice-president Mike Murphy.

Pacioretty remains in the hospital. He has said he is upset with the league’s decision because he doesn’t want other players to get hurt.

With files from The Canadian Press

dezmarez
03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
lol at people saying this was a clean hit.

Dude got a 5 minute major for interference. If it was a "clean" hit there wouldnt have been a penalty issued.

Couple things to go with my point:

The "wrong place" argument isn't really valid.
I could say the same thing for a hit from behind. Well if it happend in the middle of the ice his face wouldnt have hit the boards, i guess he was in the wrong place

Chara has played in Montreal numerous times, knows exactly where he is, knows exactly the kind of damage going into the turnbuckle can cause, and gave him an extra shove to get him there

and yes there are tons of other hits out there that are worse, but you have to go on what the NHL has done in the past...

he broke his neck, on a play where a 5 minute major was called, that should result in some sort of suspension

avery was suspended for 9 games for hurting dion phaneufs feelings.......

Pacioretty may have just ended his carreer, he is an RFA at the end of the year, meaning he doesn't have a contract lined up for next year, who is going to take a chance on signing a guy in 4 months who recently broke his neck, dudes hockey future is completely up in the air,

Chara should have been suspended for at least a couple games.

Unknown303
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
They should cancel the NHL.

kvg
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
People have been run in to the glass along the benches for ever!!! This isn't even the worst I've seen.

Mibz
03-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Interference doesn't mean the hit was dirty, just that PAC poked the puck instead of playing it. It was a major because of the injury, I'm told those are the rules. Injury on a penalty makes it an automatic major.

kvg
03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
They should cancel the NHL.
Or Leave out of Quebec!!:clap:

95teetee
03-10-2011, 06:26 PM
to all the 'the hit was clean' comments- if he was penalized, it wasn't clean. Simple as that.

edit- I see dezmarez beat me to that point lol.

that said, there's no way he can be charged with anything, any more than the average fight can get a player charged with anything.

shtock99
03-10-2011, 06:55 PM
The penalty was interference, because he didn't have the puck. The only reason it was a 5 min is because he was hurt, even if his head didn't hit the stantion but let's say he broke his arm on the boards the ref still has the choice of giving him a 5 min major, but would everyone be calling for his head because he broke his arm on the boards being hit? doubt it.

g-m
03-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Lots of people are pissed off at this though....Chara should be suspended, to at least quell a friggin' riot!

<news quote>
Yea, that'll be the day. Tim Hortons will NEVER pull their sponsorship from the NHL. Their whole ad campaign is basically based on hockey, to not have that playing during NHL games would be devastating. Good riddance to Air Canada, teams can take WestJet instead. A lot more reliable anyway in my experience.

Originally posted by dezmarez

Dude got a 5 minute major for interference. If it was a &quot;clean&quot; hit there wouldnt have been a penalty issued.

The &quot;wrong place&quot; argument isn't really valid.
I could say the same thing for a hit from behind. Well if it happend in the middle of the ice his face wouldnt have hit the boards, i guess he was in the wrong place

Chara has played in Montreal numerous times, knows exactly where he is, knows exactly the kind of damage going into the turnbuckle can cause, and gave him an extra shove to get him there

and yes there are tons of other hits out there that are worse, but you have to go on what the NHL has done in the past...

he broke his neck, on a play where a 5 minute major was called, that should result in some sort of suspension

avery was suspended for 9 games for hurting dion phaneufs feelings.......

Pacioretty may have just ended his carreer, he is an RFA at the end of the year, meaning he doesn't have a contract lined up for next year, who is going to take a chance on signing a guy in 4 months who recently broke his neck, dudes hockey future is completely up in the air,

Chara should have been suspended for at least a couple games.

He was out of the hospital in less than 48 hours, he'll have a 100% recovery.

JRSC00LUDE
03-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by g-m
He was out of the hospital in less than 48 hours, he'll have a 100% recovery.

That's very presumptuous given the severe concussion. That's always a wait and see kind of thing since everyone responds differently and your brain isn't exactly an "easy to understand/heal" kind of thing....

But yeah, if you want to go after anyone at all for this then go after the building owner for not having a safer design there. Given the amount of times that has happened in the past it was foreseeable to happen again, implement a safer design.

TeamBestBud
03-10-2011, 08:18 PM
IMHO the ones to blame here aren't the frenchies, or chara, or the Canadiens organization. Its the fucking shit show Gary Bettmans running. If Colin Campbell and his minions were a little more consistent with how they suspend players for dirty hits and if they were more clear cut with how they dealt with these infractions we wouldn't even be here arguing this point.

Campbell and his whole office is a joke. Don't even get me started on Gary Cole..I mean Bettman. First no suspension to Richards for his hit on Booth last season, now this? I believe a player should be suspended if his infraction (elbow to the head in richards case and a interference penalty in this case) causes a player to be severely injured.

Edit: If this was a player like say Shawn Thornton for example we wouldn't even be having this conversation because he would be suspended for this rest of the season.

g-m
03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
^ I don't agree. Why should a player be punished just because his play caused an injury? As said on another message board nobody would be crying suspension if a standard canadiens bodycheck caused a broken arm on a bruins player. A player doesn't know what the results of a play will be before he makes it. As long as the play is clean IMO it should never result in a suspension regardless of any injury sustained on the play.

If its dirty ok I can see it. Otherwise no way. Players can fall in funny ways, a skate can catch a weird edge, etc.

I agree with the building design JRS. Why not have a 45* stanchion? I don't know how to comment on the concussion since severity clearly matters but I've had 2 concussions and am none the worse for wear. Nothing near what occurred at the bell center of course.

SOAB
03-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez

Dude got a 5 minute major for interference. If it was a &quot;clean&quot; hit there wouldnt have been a penalty issued.

The &quot;wrong place&quot; argument isn't really valid.

this is weak. a hit from behind is still a hit from behind whether it happens in the middle of the ice, down behind the goal line, or along the boards in the neutral zone. there is a very high chance of injury in all these circumstances.

a shoulder check (basically rubbing the guy out of the play) happens all the time, in every game and is the same everywhere BUT at the stanchion points. the chance of injury is slim to none unless you try to jump past Chara at the wrong place.

wanna eliminate the chance of this happening again? close off the benches. make all the players go through the bench doors for line changes. it's definitely safer this way.

oh wait, the bench door could pop open if someone gets hit into it (happens often) and someone could get hurt. better not allow line changes until the whistle blows so the players can get off the ice safely...

lets see what else we can do to make this game safer...:thumbsdow

whoever hit Langkow with the puck, causing him to fall and break his neck should be suspended as well. his hockey play caused an injury so he should be punished!!

these guys get fucken paid to play a game that most people PAY TO PLAY!! and they get paid well. there is a certain amount of risk that comes with the job. don't wanna accept that risk? maybe they should find a different career.

sexualbanana
03-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
WOW... That has gone a little too far IMO. I agree with Pacioretty that there should be a suspension but thats where it should end. H

There was nothing illegal about the hit. How can you suspend a player for an action that, by definition, was clean?

Like some of the others have said, just because there was an injury doesn't mean someone broke the rules. I could theoretically go for a drive right now, kick up piece of gravel with my tires and hit someone's eye. Does that mean I intentionally tried to hurt them? Or in a more hockey-specific context, should Jokinen have gotten suspended for cutting Zednik's neck with his skate a couple years ago? Better yet, since MacArthur was the one who upended Jokinen, maybe he should have gotten suspended for it?

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for Paccioreti and I hope he gets better soon but I don't think Chara should be suspended for it. But then again, what do I know? I'm not an expert.

Originally posted by kvg
People have been run in to the glass along the benches for ever!!! This isn't even the worst I've seen.

If you want to see a dirty, dirty stanchion hit, go to 5:51.

aUOj-o8u6LA

And for the record, I'd rather people like Ignatieff and Air Canada keep their noses out of NHL matters. Ignatieff should have bigger things to worry about than the NHL's disciplinary ruling, and the NHL doesn't tell Air Canada how to do business so neither should Air Canada.

civic_stylez
03-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
The hit was clean. Just wrong place at the right time. He had no intent to hurt the guy. I do agree they need to angle the glass there.

Exactly... the papers and news made it out to be so malicious.

If the glass hadnt been there it wouldnt have been a big deal. Chara didnt slam his head into the glass, it was a freak accident. The compared it to the Bertuzzi incident. Fucking media.

JordanEG6
03-11-2011, 11:34 AM
The hit itself was a clean hit. Textbook body contact. The NHL made the right decision. Personally, I feel bad for Pacioretty, it's unfortunate, hope he recovers soon, but thats hockey. People get hurt all the time.

C_Dave45
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Sick and fuckin tired of all this "PC" shit trying to invade hockey. Play with a sponge puck and start handing out "Jill Straps" to the players, if you think hockey is so bad. Ridiculous.

Fact: during the heat of play, you want to knock your opponent into the fourth row and take his head off. 9,999 times out of 10,000, there's no injuries. The odd time someone gets hurt....too bad, so sad. Get well, get off the ice, and play on.

Where was all the "whining and bitching" for the first 100 years of hockey?

Watch the hit on Iafrate at the 1:22 mark.... (and a similar one at 2:20 and the big one on Nieuwendyk at 4:04) No one seemed to have a problem with this type of hit then. Now its a criminal offense? Total Bullshit.

8_LgKnYVj4w

A|pine
03-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
[B]Sick and fuckin tired of all this &quot;PC&quot; shit trying to invade hockey. Play with a sponge puck and start handing out &quot;Jill Straps&quot; to the players, if you think hockey is so bad. Ridiculous.

Fact: during the heat of play, you want to knock your opponent into the fourth row and take his head off. 9,999 times out of 10,000, there's no injuries. The odd time someone gets hurt....too bad, so sad. Get well, get off the ice, and play on.

Where was all the &quot;whining and bitching&quot; for the first 100 years of hockey?

Watch the hit on Iafrate at the 1:22 mark.... (and a similar one at 2:20 and the big one on Nieuwendyk at 4:04) No one seemed to have a problem with this type of hit then. Now its a criminal offense? Total Bullshit.

Good ol' rock'em sock'em. That hit at 4:04 that is blatant head into side wall. Anyways I think it is a clean hit just unlucky based on the old rules and current. There will be a change with all the head injuries - you see the samething happening in the NFL with helmet on helmet hits.