PDA

View Full Version : Difference between FLAC and ALAC?

ZMan2k2
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm trying to start a networked music server in my house. Through all the adventures, I've come down to checking out the Sonos ZonePlayer 90 for playing FLAC files from my Network HDD to the HT processor. Now, I've been doing more looking around, and since I already use iTunes for my AAC and MP3 files, what's the difference between Apple's Lossless codec and FLAC? Because I can stream ALAC files from my NAS with the Apple TV for about $280 less than the Sonos system. All of this would be wired, not wireless.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

sputnik
03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
FLAC = Free and Open Source
ALAC = Apple Proprietary

ZMan2k2
03-10-2011, 02:46 PM
That's it. Huh, I would have figured it would be more. Well, I may as well save myself $280, thanks. :thumbsup:

sputnik
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
That's it. Huh, I would have figured it would be more. Well, I may as well save myself $280, thanks. :thumbsup:

Something you might want to consider.

You can only play ALAC files from Apple products. This may be an issue if you ever switch platforms and your entire music collection is in ALAC and AAC formats.

ZMan2k2
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
True. But I've used the Apple format for music for years. It's always been good to me, and I've used Apple products for a while too. Doing some looking, and the Sonos player does play ALAC files as well, so there is some minor flexibility there. Sigh, more thinking to do. Thanks.

msommers
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Foobar2000 has a plugin that will play ALAC and FLAC. It is, in my opinion, a better but much more stripped down media player.

As for differences in formats, they're both uncompressed so you're good there. I've read a few comparisons between the two and no one can readily distinguish them.

ZMan2k2
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Foobar2000 has a plugin that will play ALAC and FLAC. It is, in my opinion, a better but much more stripped down media player.

As for differences in formats, they're both uncompressed so you're good there. I've read a few comparisons between the two and no one can readily distinguish them.

That's really my main goal, lossless storage of my tunes. I've been surfing, looking for Hi-Res FLAC files, but there's really nothing that I want to download. I'm not really the classical, or jazz kind of guy. I'm more likely to buy a CD or borrow one from the library, and rip it losslessly to a HDD and play it that way. Just much easier and cleaner than having a storage shelf with so many discs on it.

Going to look into whether I want to tie myself to Apple as much as that, but it does look to be promising. And Apple is supposed to be bringing in 24-bit music soon. At least that's something I've read. We'll see.

Mibz
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
And Apple is supposed to be bringing in 24-bit music soon. At least that's something I've read. We'll see. So little is recorded/produced in 24-bit that I wouldn't put too much weight into it.

msommers
03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't know if you can even rip 24-bit quality from a CD...what's wrong with uncompressed flac/alac as it is? I think to get that kind of quality you'd have to rip an SACD and play the .wav files which are fucking massive.

I would say use either iTunes or Foobar2000. Some say they notice a difference while others don't. Personally I do. Comparing the two I find iTunes is a touch more bassy while Foobar is a touch more analytical. Both play lossless very well.

What kind of music are you into? I have a bunch of uncompressed stuff.

ZMan2k2
03-10-2011, 10:35 PM
The 24-bit thing was an article I read somewhere. I don't know how much of a difference that would make in any real-world listening anyways.

I think I'm going to go with the AppleTV option, just to see if I like streaming my music, and being able to put away all the CD's.

As for music I'm into, it's eclectic. I'll listen to a lot of stuff from Metallica to Miles Davis. I can't do country, or country-rock, whatever it is now. Not so much pop music either. Beiber can fall off the planet for all I care, haha.

nich148_9
03-10-2011, 11:10 PM
All-in-one answer post:

1) FLAC and ALAC are both compressed lossless formats. They're about half the size of an equivalent WAV, yet have the same information.

2) FLAC is open-source and non-poprietary, but doesn't work on most devices (all Apple devices, Microsoft stuff, et. al.). That said, it works on Android phones (though I don't know why you'd want lossless files on there considering the audio boards of phones are crappy). You can also install a plugin for iTunes that allows for FLAC playback.

3) ALAC is a closed, proprietary format that uses an MPEG4 wrapper. It is supported on all Apple devices and there are open source decoders and plugins available for various other devices, unofficially.

4) CDs are 16-bit. SACD and DVD-A discs are 24-bit capable.

5) Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" in lossless on a great stereo is one of the most blissful experiences ever. Jus' saying.

msommers
03-11-2011, 11:55 AM
More correct than what I said.

ZMan, PM me. We should do a music exchange one of these days.

ZMan2k2
03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
nich148_9, thanks for the concise and easy to understand answers. Makes perfect sense. And I agree about the Miles Davis. Hence my upgrade recently to some Focal speakers. Truly opened up my ears.

msommers, will do. I'm in the middle of redoing most of my collection. I had them copied to 320kbps AAC files, but now, I'm converting them to ALAC, going to take a little time.