kvg
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Wait till one is in minus 30:eek:

adam c
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
is this a joke? one guy paid 40+k for this crap

heavyD
03-10-2011, 09:57 PM
So maybe 20-25 miles max in our winter on a full charge? Buying a first year model of any car can be risky but an electric car? IMO these buyers are getting what they deserve as they just paid a fair bit of money to R&D the cars for Nissan.

syritis
03-10-2011, 10:18 PM
what i don't get is that honda generators are the size of a small piece of luggage, why doesn't the leaf have a range extender? even if it's too small to power the car, maybe if it sat on the side of the road charging for 15min it would be enough to get the can another 10 miles?

shit, even the larger diesel welder generators are a couple square feet in size and they put out 10-30volts and up to 250amps. that enough to run a starter which we all know easily has the power to move a car. throw that in the engine bay, match that with a regenerating braking system, theirs no reason these cars don't have unlimited range in at least some driving conditions.

treg50
03-11-2011, 06:33 AM
"LEFT FOR DEAD" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

iceburns288
03-11-2011, 08:47 AM
A few more of these stories and the Volt's got it made!

pgmatt
03-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Why doesn't some one build a electric car with a onboard natural gas generator to extend range/recharge it. It would be fairly simple and you wouldn't need a large tank to carry enough to add a small extension to the range. :dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by pgmatt
Why doesn't some one build a electric car with a onboard natural gas generator to extend range/recharge it. It would be fairly simple and you wouldn't need a large tank to carry enough to add a small extension to the range. :dunno:

So a volt with a natural gas engine instead of petrol/diesel?

Sugarphreak
03-11-2011, 11:24 AM

soccernut
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by pgmatt

Look under GEOFF from TopGear...

flipstah
03-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by soccernut

Look under Hammerhead-i Eagle Thrust from TopGear...

Fixed. And it used a diesel to recharge the batteries.

kvg
03-11-2011, 12:09 PM
or put a gas motor in it make it $10k less and make it less ugly.

Oh wait
v

Destinova403
03-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Assuming they ever release it for purchase... we are going on what, 5 years now of the Volt floating around at high profile events

Volt has been on sale for the past few months, Chevrolet is having trouble keeping up with the demand, so they initially only released it in a few key markets. We will start seeing them in Canada probably within the next 6 months or so.

The part I found interesting is the fact that Nissan did not build in a heating system for the battery like the Volt has... makes it seem like the car was rushed to market to counter the Volt without the proper engineering.

flipstah
03-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

The part I found interesting is the fact that Nissan did not build in a heating system for the battery like the Volt has... makes it seem like the car was rushed to market to counter the Volt without the proper engineering.

Either that or the Leaf was only meant for a niche market?

Darell_n
03-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I love how people think there is an accurate measurement of battery life in any device. Phones, ipods, laptops, cordless tools that I own are never even close to the battery charge they think they have.

Xtrema
03-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Either that or the Leaf was only meant for a niche market?

I don't think they plant for niche market. I think they got a bunch of government $ to develop it and hope that it'll become class leader like Prius.

jonni44
03-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I want to meet the fuck head who paid 40k for his leaf, he deserves a kick in the pants and one of his precious trees down his throat. :facepalm:

Godfuader
03-11-2011, 09:48 PM
I was actually at the event where the big shots from Nissan (Marketing VP, Chief Designer, President of the Americas, Head of PR, etc) showed off this car at Columbia University for the engineering school. The questions asked about the reliability of the gauge were always answered by pointing out its cool app. It was a pretty cool app. They had an iTouch app which I played around for a few minutes. It was very nice, but if the car does not do what it was intended to do, then what good is a feature ridden app.

Graham_A_M
03-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

Volt has been on sale for the past few months, Chevrolet is having trouble keeping up with the demand, so they initially only released it in a few key markets. We will start seeing them in Canada probably within the next 6 months or so.

This. GM has poured enormous amounts of money towards the R&D of the Volt. Nissan? not even close, they just tossed it out there and hoped it would work.
That being said, I really pity the fools that would spend $40k on something like this.

"So what did you spend your $40k on sweetie?"
"This poorly thought out, very rushed Nissan Leaf"
"........ you've got to be fucking kidding me"

I'd take the Volt *any* day over this.... without even a moments hesitation.

treg50
03-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
... The questions asked about the reliability of the gauge were always answered by pointing out its cool app. It was a pretty cool app. They had an iTouch app which I played around for a few minutes. It was very nice, but if the car does not do what it was intended to do, then what good is a feature ridden app.
Aahaha, what a joke, an "app". Don't me started on "apps"... apparently a waste of time and money that Nissan should have put towards the f'ing car, lmao. They should make the app call CAA automatically.

Godfuader
03-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by treg50

Aahaha, what a joke, an "app". Don't me started on "apps"... apparently a waste of time and money that Nissan should have put towards the f'ing car, lmao. They should make the app call CAA automatically.

:rofl: One of their comments was that the app lets you activate the temp control, so your car is warm/cool before you get to it. They explained how great of an feature that is so you draw power from the grid versus using your range battery. I think they were a bit presumptuous that buyers will conserve the juice at all times.

I still think it is a great car for the city, with an exceptional app...if it performed up to its claims.

heavyD
03-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
I love how people think there is an accurate measurement of battery life in any device. Phones, ipods, laptops, cordless tools that I own are never even close to the battery charge they think they have.

Really? My iphone 4 has never gone from 15% remaining to dead instantly. It's not that difficult of a calculation really.

Inzane
03-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
http://ca.jalopnik.com/5780215/nissan-electric-car-stranding-owners

Can't say I'm surprised.

Bwwwaaa haaa haaa haaa!!!!

Someone please put a bullet in this annoyingly smug green movement once and for all.

Tik-Tok
03-17-2011, 11:21 PM
http://socialpsychologyeye.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/smug_alert.jpg