PDA

View Full Version : Quad or Dirtbike? What to get

stealth131
03-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Trying to decide whether to buy a quad or a dirtbike. What are the pro's and con's of each? I can only buy 1 or the other.

Cos
03-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Dude

Dave P
03-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Worst poll ever.

I have a couple of each. Really depends what you are into? have a truck or means of getting them around? Do you enjoy drinking beer, or acutally riding?

stealth131
03-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
Worst poll ever.

I have a couple of each. Really depends what you are into? have a truck or means of getting them around? Do you enjoy drinking beer, or acutally riding? Yeah, I can use my dads sierra to haul them around. I like actually riding.

Dave P
03-11-2011, 09:34 AM
If you like riding, get a dirt bike. way more fun and a challenge. If you like drinking and going slow, and rutting out trails, get a quad.

Also, you can quad year round, which is why I have some quads. But in the summer i rarley use them.

stealth131
03-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
If you like riding, get a dirt bike. way more fun and a challenge. If you like drinking and going slow, and rutting out trails, get a quad.

Also, you can quad year round, which is why I have some quads. But in the summer i rarley use them. What quads would you recommend? Looking for a sport quad not one that you haul a dead deer on the back.

03-11-2011, 11:56 AM
If your looking at a sport quad, don't. Get sick FI bike you'll enjoy it way more for way longer.

Colin_R6
03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
You can rip a dirtbike on snowmobile tracks in the winter too, I used to ride my old KX80 year round!

Just lean back a bit and the front tire floats better! hah

Or they have those track & ski kits you can get now for a dirtbike, i'd consider one of those, looks like a good time!

Anomaly
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I would recommend finding someone to let you try both before you buy... it would also depend on where you're going to be riding and who your riding with.

I tried both and ended up getting a 660 Raptor. 2 of my friends opted for dirt bikes and sold them after one season because it was too frustrating for a beginner where we ride, and they couldn't use them in the winter.

I think a sport ATV has slightly less of a learning curve than a Dirt Bike... it's a little friendlier to just hop and on and ride...imo.

Plus, you can't double girls on a dirt bike

:poosie:

stealth131
03-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Anomaly
I would recommend finding someone to let you try both before you buy... it would also depend on where you're going to be riding and who your riding with.

I tried both and ended up getting a 660 Raptor. 2 of my friends opted for dirt bikes and sold them after one season because it was too frustrating for a beginner where we ride, and they couldn't use them in the winter.

I think a sport ATV has slightly less of a learning curve than a Dirt Bike... it's a little friendlier to just hop and on and ride...imo.

Plus, you can't double girls on a dirt bike

:poosie: I was actually looking at a 660 raptor. How do you like it?

Also how well does a girl fit on the back?

Anomaly
03-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Really like it, Lots of low end torque on the trails, so you don't have to wind it out like the yfZ450 or ltz400. Just lots of fun to tool around on. Some people complain the center of gravity is a little high, but all in all its probably the best sport quad on a trail.
I would recommend the 700 Raptor over a 660 though... Better suspension, more torque, and fuel injection beats the hell out of re-jetting. (Which is a pain on the 660 because you have to take off the front plastics and gas tank to get to the dual carbs)

Fat chicks won't fit. lol. Your balls will be up against the gas tank, but as long as the girl isn't 150+ pounds they usually fit okay.

:thumbsup:

J-hop
03-11-2011, 03:21 PM

I'd say this is only really true for the initial learning as a quad doesn't require any balance for beginner riding. But to ride a quad hard you need quite a bit more skill IMO.

I enjoy quads less as for me they seem a lot less stable when you really want to rip. A dirt bike you can rip down trails as fast as you want and feel safe but at 70km/hr on a quad I wasn't very comfortable especially on corners when the tail end is going out

Also consider if you are into extreme riding some of those larger quads are near impossible to get off you if you roll them. An idiot at my quad license course flipped his quad on himself while trying to get it into his truck (he didn't bring ramps so they lent him some short ramps that were too steep). It was a 700cc raptor and it took two of us to get it off him (handle bars pinned his chest down so he couldn't get it off himself)

Quads also require ALOT more work to ride fast IMO, even throwing around a 450 was tiresome after about 3 hours of riding. A 300 isn't much work to throw around but they aren't fun at all to ride. (i personally wouldn't go smaller than a 500 for sport riding)

stealth131
03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Really like it, Lots of low end torque on the trails, so you don't have to wind it out like the yfZ450 or ltz400. Just lots of fun to tool around on. Some people complain the center of gravity is a little high, but all in all its probably the best sport quad on a trail.
I would recommend the 700 Raptor over a 660 though... Better suspension, more torque, and fuel injection beats the hell out of re-jetting. (Which is a pain on the 660 because you have to take off the front plastics and gas tank to get to the dual carbs)

Fat chicks won't fit. lol. Your balls will be up against the gas tank, but as long as the girl isn't 150+ pounds they usually fit okay.

:thumbsup: so just get some j.b. and it's all good :D

the 700's are too much for what I wanted to spend. Would you recommend the 660?

JfuckinC
03-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Dirt bike, no contest.

Anomaly
03-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

I enjoy quads less as for me they seem a lot less stable when you really want to rip. A dirt bike you can rip down trails as fast as you want and feel safe but at 70km/hr on a quad I wasn't very comfortable especially on corners when the tail end is going out

Also consider if you are into extreme riding some of those larger quads are near impossible to get off you if you roll them. An idiot at my quad license course flipped his quad on himself while trying to get it into his truck (he didn't bring ramps so they lent him some short ramps that were too steep). It was a 700cc raptor and it took two of us to get it off him (handle bars pinned his chest down so he couldn't get it off himself)

Quads also require ALOT more work to ride fast IMO, even throwing around a 450 was tiresome after about 3 hours of riding. A 300 isn't much work to throw around but they aren't fun at all to ride. (i personally wouldn't go smaller than a 500 for sport riding)

I think the stability depends on the terrain, but generally yes. When riding with dirtbikers they generally can rip down trails faster than I ever could on my ATV. On rougher trails the suspension, at least on my machine wouldn't allow for those speeds.

Sport ATV's aren't too heavy, the raptors are around 400-450ish pounds, which isn't too bad. I've rolled mine 3 or 4 times, once on top of myself and I had no problem tipping it off me (I'm only 170lbs, but it did break my ribs, even with a roost protector) Adrenaline probably played a role though lol.
The machines you have to watch out for, are the big 4x4 ATV's. 600-700+ pounds... when my friend rolled his it took a couple of us to right it. If that ever fell on you, you'd be pretty fucked.

Originally posted by stealth131
so just get some j.b. and it's all good :D

the 700's are too much for what I wanted to spend. Would you recommend the 660?

I would as long as you can find one that's been well maintained... as the newest 660 now is going to at least 6 years old. It also helps if you learn to wrench on it yourself...Jetting, cleaning the carbs, changing the clutch , tune-ups, adjusting the valves, etc.. will save you a ton of money if you do it yourself. (On a dirtbike or any older ATV for that matter!)

SKR
03-11-2011, 05:11 PM
How much do you want to spend?

Hamann
03-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I was having the same debate at the beginning of this year, though I wasn't considering a sport Quad. Dirt bike's are fun as hell, first time riding one was last sumer and I loved it. They are pretty easy to learn how to ride. I grew up messing around on Quad's so I love them aswell. I couldn't decide one over the other, so I'm going to be picking up one of each, a Dirtbike for messing around on Trail's and a Quad for taking my little cousin's and shit out on and for Hunting.

stealth131
03-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by SKR
How much do you want to spend? As of right now less than 2500. Found a raptor 660 for this

sillysod
03-11-2011, 08:45 PM
1st. how old are you. I raced MX for a long time and can tell you it's a young mans sport. You get truly ruined and I had to retire when I destroyed my knees and got knee replacements. Dirt bikes are great for track and no quad can hold a candle to them for balls out fun. the problem is you will get hurt.

If you are going to just go to McLean creek or Waiprous then just buy a quad. Dirt bikes are boring out there as there is really nothing challenging on them. I used to go down to Baja, Moab or Brule out by Jasper because it was the only non-track riding that was even remotely challenging. Dirt bikes suck in the mud and trail riding gets old quick.

If you plan on going with friends, get a quad. If you have a girlfriend get a big 4x4 quad. Even the shittiest hills are fun and challenging on a 4x4 atv and you can screw around in a gravel pit all day on one with out getting bored.

Race quads are fun, but again there is really not a lot of places to take them. They suck on the track and suck even more in the mud when you get it burried. Brule by Jasper has sand, if you get a set of paddles it is probably the best race quad riding you will ever experience. But for riding around Calgary its pretty much just a 4x4 quad trails.

Graham_A_M
03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Kind of a third option, you can get a nice off roader go kart. Princess auto has these 150cc two passenger ones that can do 40mph. They look like a frickin' blast, just over $2k too.

If you plan on having something that can work as well as play may as well get a 4wd quad, but for sheer riding enjoyment get a bike. Way easier to haul around & store during winter as well.
Really it comes down to what your needs are. If you want, you can get an Enduro dirtbike, so you can get your class 6 license and have a dirt cheap to operate mode of transportation, but also have a bike to play in the dirt with when you want it. That way you dont have to worry about borrowing a truck when you want to have some fun.
:dunno:

Cos
03-11-2011, 09:50 PM
I was going to vote but you didnt have an option that said:

"instead of blowing my only 2g on a toy while I am a student working one day a week and being border line insolvent, save my cash and pay off bills so that when I get a job I can be flexible financially to make a good decision then."

but like I said you didnt so I didnt vote.

kevie88
03-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Just get a dirtybike.

kevie88
03-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Cos

"instead of blowing my only 2g on a toy while I am a student working one day a week and being border line insolvent, save my cash and pay off bills so that when I get a job I can be flexible financially to make a good decision then."

stealth131
03-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos

but like I said you didnt so I didnt vote. Money ain't a problem on this one since I already have a whip to haul the bike or quad

Cos
03-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

:rofl: +1 voted.

Money ain't a problem on this one since I already have a whip to haul the bike or quad

Dude, honestly I want you to enjoy your toys and your hard earned money. I am not the image of financial frugality I have 4 vehicles, have had many more, and buy tons of shit. That being said the wife and I clear 6 figures a year and we are both working. Even then I dont have the nicest shit and I am still smart with my cash.

You are a student. I dont know what you are taking but what if you cant find a job when you finish. What happens if the job you want is in BC, Sask, Edmonton, and because you have this stupid bike/quad you cant go or it is too hard. You are sacrificing potential life for what?

You dont know the prices for enjoying the back country. What about gear? You are looking 500 - 1000 for gear. What about helmets? What if you crash and break an arm or leg. Can you work? Can you drive? What if you lose your job? What can you afford to break? Every time I have been to Wiaporous or McLean I break something. EVERYTIME.

As I said, do what you want, and I am not saying to be frugal and save. That being said you do not need to be debt for no reason.

ddduke
03-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I wish that I could take my vote back and go at it again.

Cos
03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

At his age I wouldnt have listened to me either so it doesnt really matter. I am still young enough to believe I can make a difference though.

sillysod
03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Haha Kevie88, probably the best mod edit to date. :thumbsup: :rofl:

03-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

+1

J-hop
03-12-2011, 12:47 AM

The machines you have to watch out for, are the big 4x4 ATV's. 600-700+ pounds... when my friend rolled his it took a couple of us to right it. If that ever fell on you, you'd be pretty fucked.

agreed, I had a chance to rip around on a 500cc 4x4 quad for work one summer and after about a week of riding 8+ hrs a day I had to trade it in for a 450, even the slow riding we were doing took its toll as those things are so freaking heavy. Can't imagine having one of those land on you.

+1 for fuel injection as I think you or someone else mentioned. Carbed is annoying especially when the machine gets old and needs a tuneup! I rode a honda 300 for a while and although that thing was bullet proof it never ran right until it got up to temperature and you always had to modulate the choke to keep it running on cold mornings even after letting it warm up for a while. (not to mention it was awfully slow)

slinkie
03-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Voted civic with fart can, rig guys tend to buy dirtbike, quad , snowmobile , seadoo , etc etc. its fun for a week :rolleyes:

stealth131
03-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Cos

:rofl: +1 voted.

Dude, honestly I want you to enjoy your toys and your hard earned money. I am not the image of financial frugality I have 4 vehicles, have had many more, and buy tons of shit. That being said the wife and I clear 6 figures a year and we are both working. Even then I dont have the nicest shit and I am still smart with my cash.

You are a student. I dont know what you are taking but what if you cant find a job when you finish. What happens if the job you want is in BC, Sask, Edmonton, and because you have this stupid bike/quad you cant go or it is too hard. You are sacrificing potential life for what?

You dont know the prices for enjoying the back country. What about gear? You are looking 500 - 1000 for gear. What about helmets? What if you crash and break an arm or leg. Can you work? Can you drive? What if you lose your job? What can you afford to break? Every time I have been to Wiaporous or McLean I break something. EVERYTIME.

As I said, do what you want, and I am not saying to be frugal and save. That being said you do not need to be debt for no reason. The good thing about the quad/bike is that my parents said they would happily help out with paying for it. With my car and other 4x4's I have had they won't pay a CENT, but they think this is a good idea.

Cos
03-12-2011, 02:28 AM
The good thing about the quad/bike is that my parents said they would happily help out with paying for it. With my car and other 4x4's I have had they won't pay a CENT, but they think this is a good idea.

great so you will be a grad who owes your parents for a dirt bike. Not an education or anything useful.

As I said, you wont listen to me. I am only 24 and I am JUST LEARNING I have no clue what I am talking about. You are beyond stupid when it comes to money and life. That is how you think you can teach us who have been there.

I dont mean to be a dick but you will understand one day.

Unknown303
03-12-2011, 02:38 AM
Money ain't a problem on this one since I already have a whip to haul the bike or quad

You are a huge idiot. Once you can afford the hobbies you want to participate in them come on Beyond asking about them. And I mean afford them on your own, not with your parents supporting your ass.

J-hop
03-12-2011, 12:56 PM
OP my best advice for you is do what YOU want, even if it ends up being a bad decision. I pity the person who lets an online forum dictate how they live their life. You can not learn life lessons or enjoy life by sitting back and letting people tell you what to do, you have to do it and learn from it yourself.

I'm not saying go ahead and get one (dirtbike/quad/etc) but just don't listen to the haters and decide for yourself what to do. Life is a participation sport!!!

Cos
03-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
OP my best advice for you is do what YOU want, even if it ends up being a bad decision. I pity the person who lets an online forum dictate how they live their life. You can not learn life lessons or enjoy life by sitting back and letting people tell you what to do, you have to do it and learn from it yourself.

I'm not saying go ahead and get one (dirtbike/quad/etc) but just don't listen to the haters and decide for yourself what to do. Life is a participation sport!!!

Ever heard of the saying, "standing on the shoulders of giants" it means that we as a society evolve by learning from others mistakes. It is one of the few things that really sets us apart from animals.

Not saying he shouldnt do what he wants but he has asked for advice and I am not going to ignore the opportunity to help him learn what I did not at his age.

stealth131
03-12-2011, 06:14 PM
There's differences between the jeep and a quad . Insurance is around 300 vs 1600 for the jeep. Gas is also way cheaper. I know I can easily afford one so I don't see why that 4th option was added to the poll.

Cos
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
There's differences between the jeep and a quad . Insurance is around 300 vs 1600 for the jeep. Gas is also way cheaper. I know I can easily afford one so I don't see why that 4th option was added to the poll.

Because you couldnt afford gas or a $2800.00 vehicle. You had to settle. No matter what you think you do NOT have the money.

If any of the info is wrong please let me know. The synopsis I presented was gathered over your three threads over the last couple weeks. I will have it changed if it is wrong.

J-hop
03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Ever heard of the saying, "standing on the shoulders of giants" it means that we as a society evolve by learning from others mistakes. It is one of the few things that really sets us apart from animals.

Not saying he shouldnt do what he wants but he has asked for advice and I am not going to ignore the opportunity to help him learn what I did not at his age.

hehe, I seem to remember a certain someone who made a similar purchase in highschool and loved every second of riding it.

I agree with what your saying in terms of it not necessarily being the best purchase at his age/financial situation, but I don't think someone avoiding making any mistakes in life evolves them in any way. Experience is the best teacher.

Cos
03-12-2011, 07:23 PM
yes but i worked 5 days a week at tim hortons and i bought an $800 enduro after i wrecked the escort.

Not even a remotely similar situation

J-hop
03-12-2011, 07:41 PM
all I'm trying to say is in the grand scheme of things $2000 is pennies, to learn a life lesson for $2000 is a pretty small price to pay. It could teach him that he needs to put in hard work to afford hobbies, so he may go out and get a part time job, learn life skills, how to prioritize etc. Or it could be the worst investment ever and teach him how to manage his money and not live outside his means.

I just don't think we have any right in saying someone is wrong for doing something like this or try to dictate how they should live their life. Some of my worst purchases taught me the best lessons in terms of how I need to manage my money better and what I need to do so that later in life i'll be able to afford these things I enjoy.

stealth131
03-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Cos
yes but i worked 5 days a week at tim hortons and i bought an $800 enduro after i wrecked the escort.

Not even a remotely similar situation The difference is I can work one Friday night and make more than a tim hortons employee could In 5 days

Unknown303
03-12-2011, 08:38 PM
The difference is I can work one Friday night and make more than a tim hortons employee could In 5 days

Shut your mouth. The adults are having a discussion here.

stealth131
03-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Shut your mouth. The adults are having a discussion here. Then why did you reply?

Unknown303
03-12-2011, 09:41 PM
For fun..

You can do what you want with your money obviously enough. But your looking at things that just aren't cheap. Bike a s quads require upkeep to keep them in good working order. Plus all the gear you'll have to pickup and fuel to get out where you want to go.

Do you even know people who have them already? If I was getting into a hobby I'd be making sure you have people to go with.

Hamann
03-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I can use my dads sierra to haul them around.

The good thing about the quad/bike is that my parents said they would happily help out with paying for it.

So your going to be borrowing mommy and daddy's truck to transport the toy that mommy and daddy are basically going to be buying for you...

No Offence but if that's the case man I'm not so sure getting into an expensive hobby is something you should be considering...

stealth131
03-12-2011, 10:52 PM
No it's dads truck but I can buy the bike myself..

Cos
03-13-2011, 12:21 AM
The difference is I can work one Friday night and make more than a tim hortons employee could In 5 days

Really so being the bakery manager making $15.00 an hour in 2003 was what you can make in a night hey? That is okay. Need to counter my argument somehow so Ill leave an easy out for you regarding your tips

**remember this was pre-microwave baking I had to know how to do shit**

Also this isnt a pissing match. I was 16/17 and was in a good position for being that age. I was still in highschool/college and I have done well. I dont care HOW MUCH you can make but if you can make $600.00 a night gross then I am impressed and will start delivering pizzas as that is more I make as a large project manager for an engineering company.

Originally posted by Hamann

So your going to be borrowing mommy and daddy's truck to transport the toy that mommy and daddy are basically going to be buying for you...

No Offence but if that's the case man I'm not so sure getting into an expensive hobby is something you should be considering...

Please tell me you voted #4. Lol

No it's dads truck but I can buy the bike myself..

That isnt what you said before.

Graham_A_M
03-13-2011, 12:18 PM
wow, this thread is just.

:nut: