PDA

View Full Version : Dog Problem in my Neighbourhood

jonnycat
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
A few houses down the street form my house, there is Large brown dog. Not exactly sure what the breed is, looks like a lab cross.

Well the dog escapes his yard on a regular basis and either roams the neighbourhood or hangs out on his porch. Normally the dog just seems like a happy dumb dog running around pissing and shitting wherever he pleases. Which isn't the issue I have with this dog.

The problem I have, is my wife, my kid and 25 lb dog need to walk by this house to check the mail, go to the park nearby, leave the house etc.

The other dog seems fine when it is just my wife and my dog walking by, but has gotten aggressive when my 3 year old is there. Today, when my kid came into view of the dog, he sprang up barking . His hair was raised on his butt and neck and came walking towards them while barking. My kid freaked out and started running away, thankfully not out into the street, which isn't impossible.

My wife was yelling "No and Stay" to no avail, the dog stalked them to within one house of mine before it stopped.

My initial reaction is to have a conversation with the owners tonight and tell them it must stop or I will be forced to report them to the city.

I have other people telling me to just report it immediately. As they are fully aware of what their dog is doing and aren't working on a solution or can't come up with a good one that involves leaving the dog outside.

I think I would rather be told by a neighbour than a surprise visit by a bylaw officer. But if I do speak with the owners and end up having to report the dog anyways, it could just open the door to retaliation of them reporting my dog for whatever they chose.

My kids isn't afraid of big dogs, as he is around them a lot. He's never terrorized the dog as he's to young to be out by himself without us.

Any thoughts?

desi112
03-11-2011, 12:15 PM
FIrst step:

Just kindly talk to the neighbor, no threats of calling the city, just cite the issue at hand.

Second step:

if he/she agrees and it still happens, just give them a heads up.

If he/she does not agree: contact the city

Third step:

If in agreement and still fails to control the dog contact the city.

But don't start out with threats.

lilmira
03-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Just let the bylaw officer deal with it, if the owner is being nice and reasonable, he/she can probably get off with a warning, no harm done.

If there are complaints still from different people, the owner will likely be fine.

sputnik
03-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I would report it immediately.

That way if anything should happen you have the complaint logged with the city.

kvg
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I would talk to the owners if you need to report them after because lack of action so be it. Bylaw officers are pretty bright and usually know if someone is just trying to cause problems. Or the other result is the owner is reasonable and will correct the problem. Most likely your neighbor is like you and wants a pleasant relationship with the people living near by.

Lex350
03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Be a good neighbor and try and resolve it first on your own. Too many people are spineless asswipes by just reporting people without trying to deal with it first.

Look at it this way...suppose there was something going on at your place; you may or may not know it is happening. Would you not be more grateful to have someone bring it to your attention rather than having a visit from bylaw? People don't know how to be neighbors anymore.

Kloubek
03-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I could see it both ways - but I wouldn't give them three chances as desi suggests; I'd simply let them know what is going on and express that it is frightening and unsafe for your child. I agree the threats are not required.

Then if they are doing nothing about it, then call the city. Simple.

jonnycat
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
Be a good neighbor and try and resolve it first on your own. Too many people are spineless asswipes by just reporting people without trying to deal with it first.

Look at it this way...suppose there was something going on at your place; you may or may not know it is happening. Would you not be more grateful to have someone bring it to your attention rather than having a visit from bylaw? People don't know how to be neighbors anymore.

This is generally how I feel, but I am concerned with taking a chance on my kids safety, if the issue didn't get handled through a conversation.

03ozwhip
03-11-2011, 01:00 PM
id tell them face to face whats going on first and gently pass the message by that its happening as if they dont know and that if things dont stop, "someone" might call the city and youre just giving them a neighbourly heads up. theyll go from there, no one wants to be paying for their mistakes.

tirebob
03-11-2011, 01:19 PM
I dunno... If this dog regularly gets out, the owners are obviously aware what is happening, and if they are not doing anything about it now, then they also obviously don't have a lot of regard for the problem. Now if it has happening only once or twice that is another story. If they are neighbours you know to be decent and approachable, then I would say talk to them, but if they are those absent, trashy type neighbours that doesn't seem to give a shit (which the fact fact of a dog constantly being on the loose may indicate), then I would just make the call and let services deal with it. Sure it is good to stand up for yourself, but some people are just stupid and all it does is create and issue in the neighbourhood for the rest of the time you live there when it wasn't necessary...

whiskas
03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Definitely go talk to the neighbor first. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain. If they don't cooperate get bylaw on their ass.

You would think people would be more willing to meet and talk to their neighbors in the suburbs.

CUG
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Lol @ op's name and issue.

aaronck
03-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Just act on it either way. I put up with asshole border collies running wild for 5 years. Finally called the city when they ran up to me barking and growling and the owner called me miserable, and other things for not being I guess thrilled to be barked at @ 8am. Called then and there, and it was good for a week, then they started roaming again. I called instantly and it's been ok since. The owner felt that everyone loved her dogs as much as she does, and because they are border collies, they should be able to run free (and shit everywhere!!)

Looking back now, I wish I called waaay earlier, instead of being pissed off with all the shit everywhere and them making my dog nuts by running back and forth along the fence.

Bladeh
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I had the bylaw officer turn up one day, someone had put in a complaint my dog was barking at 5am in the morning, also I had to get a dog license, no biggy but wish the person would have let me know first, because I never let my dog out at 5am.

I take appropriate actions now so he doesn't bark too much.

n1zm0
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
chocolate bars, LOTS of them

j/k

if you call the city, they give you this complaint kit, you record all incidences and then hand it back to them, they send the appropriate ppl to deal with it

JAYMEZ
03-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Talk to the owners first... People this day and age really need to communicate alot better.. Maybe the owners are as dumb as the dog.. Tell them whats up.

Hamann
03-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I'd say go talk to the people. It's amazing what a little dialog can accomplish. I do find it troubling that the dog gets out often and is human aggressive (Especially to little kids) I think the owner's really do need that brought to their attention.

bignerd
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
As a dog owner, I would appreciate a neighbor talking to me first.
However if they are dinks and you talk to them first, then have to call bylaw obviously they will know it was you....

codetrap
03-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
However if they are dinks and you talk to them first, then have to call bylaw obviously they will know it was you....

So what? Who cares if they know it was you. At least you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you're not a coward. 99.9% of the time people are reasonable and rational, they're just not thinking about it. Bring it to their attention, give them a chance, and then get the authorities involved if necessary. More than likely it won't be, and they'll realize that other people might be afraid of their dog, regardless of how they feel about it.

Grow a pair, man up, and deal with. Don't be some anonymous coward.

sillysod
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I agree with codetrap for once haha...

Just be a man and go talk to them. If it happens again, go over a 2nd time and express that you thought this matter was resolved.

If it happens a 3rd time then call bylaw. If bylaw doesnt work then time for a nice warm bowl of delicious sweet prestone.

kvg
03-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Everybody worrying about them knowing. If they are dinks who cares if the know who called? what are they gonna do beat you up?:whocares:

bignerd
03-11-2011, 11:02 PM
I wasn't particularly worried, just pointing it out. I have seen neighborly disputes arise from less.

ddduke
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Go and talk to them. I'm sure they'll tell you that the dog is super friendly and wouldn't ever hurt anything, follow that up with a huge exaggeration of what happened with your kid. Tell them the dog chased the kid growling/barking and that was very far from friendly, you can also say this has happened more then once and you're scared to go out with your dog/kid because of how aggressive their dog is.

Maybe they're just naive and aren't worried about it getting out, make them worried about the dog escaping and them being held accountable.

bjstare
03-12-2011, 02:00 AM
I would call it in right away. I would never risk something happening to my wife/kid, and if you go talk to them and they ignore you, whos to say the dog doesn't attack the next day? (sure it may be far fetched, but not impossible).

I would ALSO talk to them. Make it clear that you called it in because its an issue of safety to you and the other neighbors. If they're reasonable this won't be a big deal, after all - they're in the wrong, not you.

Offroad
03-12-2011, 07:02 PM
From city bylaw.....

Dogs and cats must not
chase, threaten or injure
people or other animals.
$200 - $1,500 Penalty

chathamf
03-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Anyone ever have any problems with barking dogs? My aunt and uncle in Dalhousie, well their neighbours have two big dogs which they leave outside like 24/7. And these dogs bark and bark and bark. When you go out in the back yard to relax, the dogs are like a foot away from you on the other side of the fence going crazy. It's gotten to the point where they don't even go in their yard anymore because the dogs don't shut up.

Anyone ever deal with this before? What will the city do about it?

dirtsniffer
03-13-2011, 08:48 AM
i'd start spraying the dogs with the hose