PDA

View Full Version : First ride of 2011.... March 13

Cos
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Considering the weather we have had I was shocked to be able to get out today. Rode to my parents house to deliver our wedding invitations.

Just a couple things, make sure it is sunny when you go so that the water is actually water. Make sure to watch out for gravel and people. Be prepared to get wet.

That being said I dont care and it made me 300x happier today after being at the car show.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/brendankharris/2011-03-13163721.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/brendankharris/2011-03-13163730.jpg

JimmyJones
03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Were you on 4th street with the blue and white bike?

Cos
03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
No was up in Coventry hills only. Only place I could verify the roads were okay.

You can see my bike in the foreground of the first photo

Go4Long
03-13-2011, 05:44 PM
nice nice...my bike is stuck in the garage of one of the neighbors for a while yet I think :(

Supa Dexta
03-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Had mine out for the 1st run of the yr too... Fackkkin snakey though, cold tires and cold pavement...

Graham_A_M
03-13-2011, 06:42 PM
I saw a gold wing on Deerfoot on Sat. The guy was barely even dressed too.
:rofl:

I also have spring fever but.....:nut:

avishal26
03-13-2011, 06:54 PM
My storage insurance expires on April 6, 2011... after which I am getting a 6 month policy :D

Can't wait!

It's warm enough out here in Vancouver.. if only it would stop raining for long enough to get out on the bike :(

oasis
03-13-2011, 07:12 PM
question I have is why? I don't get it, why be out on a bike in this shit? I havent even pulled my car out yet hahaha

BrknFngrs
03-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by avishal26
My storage insurance expires on April 6, 2011... after which I am getting a 6 month policy :D

Can't wait!

It's warm enough out here in Vancouver.. if only it would stop raining for long enough to get out on the bike :(

Details on your "storage insurance"?

I was always under the impression that bikes had to be stored for a full year on the same policy you used while riding it.

Cos
03-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by oasis
question I have is why? I don't get it, why be out on a bike in this shit? I havent even pulled my car out yet hahaha

Only the exit to my cul de sac was bad the rest was dry pavement with a bit of water.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

I was always under the impression that bikes had to be stored for a full year on the same policy you used while riding it.

Icbc i assume since he said vancouver. My bike was 300 a month in bc for a full year.

GQBalla
03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
NICE!

i was thinking about bringing out my bike today while driving.

it was beautiful out.

JAYMEZ
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I saw someone on a red one bike today rippin up deerfoot

avishal26
03-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Storage insurance is through ICBC in Vancouver and approximately $50 per month if you want full coverage or $30 for three months with only liability coverage (which is required as a minimum if you live in a condo governed by Strata)

I pay approx. $80 a month for basic coverage out here, so I never get coverage for the entire year... too expensive.

unkicrackie99
03-14-2011, 02:03 AM
I was debating if I should put the battery back in the bike and start it up for the first time this the year :rofl: I didn't end up doing that though :(

95EagleAWD
03-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I went for my first one today after work..

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/190549_10150102662382131_504337130_6706205_1824103_n.jpg

It was SO much fun. Nothing crazy or anything like that, but just SO nice to be on the bike again.

Cos
03-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Man your roads look worse than mine.

95EagleAWD
03-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Man your roads look worse than mine.

Yeah, there's quite a bit of gravel. Plus we have WAY more snow than you guys... It's gonna be a while before we can ride hard.

rage2
03-14-2011, 04:59 PM
I took my car out Friday and Saturday before the mass melt-off. The roads were really clean, so much fun. Did a cochrane run, and the car is still spotless. Parked it saturday before lunch and the roads got nasty dirt melt everywhere.

And surprised nobody's asked yet... pics of the fiance?

Cos
03-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by rage2

And surprised nobody's asked yet... pics of the fiance?

Pshhh. You've met her. Same chick as I have been with for a while. Came over a couple times and decided your place is a guys place to hang out at.... lol

But yes I am surprised too. Maybe everyone here has a great imagination?

civic_stylez
03-14-2011, 07:23 PM
you guys are all evil kinevils!!!! im at least a month and a half away from bike time... props to you guys tho!

Graham_A_M
03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Today it was 11, tomorrow it'll be in the low teens.

WOW its tempting.... Too bad my alley is pure ice... otherwise I would.

e31
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Cos, Didn't your bikes get run over last season or something to the tune of that?

My commute sucks for riding and will only get worse when the SE ring road begins construction. Note to self: buy respirator that fits under helmet. Fucking trucks.

MrSector9
03-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I had mine out as well, actually I have had mine out a couple times already.

Like stated though, nothing crazy, no high speed stuff for me, just around a few streets i knew the condition of from previously driving on them.

I have seen a few bikes out here and there.

300zxfairlday
03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Man you guys are krazyyyyyy!!!! I'd be happy if I could get riding in one month

Cos
03-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by e31
Cos, Didn't your bikes get run over last season or something to the tune of that?

My commute sucks for riding and will only get worse when the SE ring road begins construction. Note to self: buy respirator that fits under helmet. Fucking trucks.

Yup, finally got them back in late September. :banghead:

The wifes still has a couple parts left to fix. Mine is all done. Actually got the Akro for free as my muffler was crushed.

Zigo
03-15-2011, 12:33 AM
My ally is still all ice! I gotta put new tires and change the oil before I do ride it. Next month!

Cos
03-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Sounds like I am glad I dont have a rear detached garage

Scat E46
03-18-2011, 11:57 AM
brendan, im looking at some bikes recently perhaps you could come with me some time to use your bike knowledge!

CUG
03-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Cos, if that's you on the green bike, I'll ride with you.

Unknown303
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Cos, if that's you on the green bike, I'll ride with you. :rofl: :rofl: You poor poor thing.

CUG
03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
:rofl: :rofl: You poor poor thing. Totally kidding. I'm in for this ride entirely, no less.

Cos
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Cos, if that's you on the green bike, I'll ride with you.

Should we name her Cosette?

Supa Dexta
03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Quick question>

If I run in to renew my truck registration (Im away at work) Am I able to renew my bike if I only have my insurance slip? Can they simply bring it up in the computer and allow me to pay for it since the registration is at home?

Why would I try and pay for someone else's renewal anyways? (But in my head I think you have to show both reg and insurance? But maybe thats just for initially registering?) :rolleyes:

RC-Cola
03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Quick question>

If I run in to renew my truck registration (Im away at work) Am I able to renew my bike if I only have my insurance slip? Can they simply bring it up in the computer and allow me to pay for it since the registration is at home?

Why would I try and pay for someone else's renewal anyways? (But in my head I think you have to show both reg and insurance? But maybe thats just for initially registering?) :rolleyes:

I'm not positive about bike renewal, but I have updated my Wife's car with her proof of insurance and the renewal registration form.

Graham_A_M
03-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Tomorrow its going to be 10+ out, I have all day off... fuck it I think Im going riding. I just cant deal with the anticipation anymore.
:guns: :guns:

Cos
03-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Doooo it. I am gonna try and get out this weekend. Got some more oil and filters from Walt yesterday. :D

GOnSHO
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
i wanna ride but i dont htink i can get my bike outta of my back alley.. haha

turbotrip
03-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by GOnSHO

thats the problem im having too. every few days i go and stare at the pile of snow in my backyard preventing me from getting the bike out of the shed. gonna have to start shovelling this weekend i think

GOnSHO
03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
i think if i roll it out to the street ill be ok....

so i can avoid holes and puddles and keep the bike upright.. HAHA!!

Graham_A_M
03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO

Yeah I'll be leaving it off, and just very carefully weaving around the ruts & ice patches, just getting ready to head out now. So far its reading 9 degrees and sunny. :D

Wow I cant wait. Whew. :thumbsup:

yamaha_rider777
04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Went out yesterday for my first ride of the year! The streets are clear out in Stony....for the most part.

95EagleAWD
04-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Put 106 kms on my R6 today in Edmonton!

avishal26
04-02-2011, 11:32 PM
went for my first ride today :D 12C and sunny in Vancouver today

was a little rusty for the first few kms but got the hang of it :clap:

Didn't want to push the bike too much though, need to do the spring service first, the oil is 6 months old :(

TYMSMNY
04-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by avishal26
went for my first ride today :D 12C and sunny in Vancouver today

was a little rusty for the first few kms but got the hang of it :clap:

Didn't want to push the bike too much though, need to do the spring service first, the oil is 6 months old :(

Which part? it was raining and hailing at one point in coquitlam/burnaby.

Construction over the Port Mann Bridge.... :whipped:

avishal26
04-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Which part? it was raining and hailing at one point in coquitlam/burnaby.

Construction over the Port Mann Bridge.... :whipped:

lol it seemed cloudy in some areas, but downtown Van and horseshoe bay were alright in the afternoon. It was sunny in downtown till about 6.

unkicrackie99
04-03-2011, 07:06 PM
The sun finally came out and it was 4 degrees. I was sick of the anticipation so I went out for a quick ride. Felt awesome being on a bike again, although it was extremely cold. :thumbsdow

Cos
04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
wife went out today while I was driving back from Taber..... I am NEVER gonna get out of here :cry:

codetrap
04-06-2011, 06:24 AM
LOL. I know the feeling Cos. I've been debating pulling the FJR out from under the sheets, but I keep getting sidetracked by "projects".

I'm thinking this weekend for sure though. Gonna get kid to the neighbors and drag wife out too.

GOnSHO
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
i went out this weekend, all weekend! it was glorious!

even the gf wanted to hop on and go for a ride with me!

still a bit sketchy with some of the gravel around but just gotta keep your eyes peeled!

GQBalla
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Went out this saturday!

well just to my parents and back home, had to flush the radiator and oil change.

now i just need some new tires, anyone have a cheap hook up?

civic_stylez
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Took mine out yesterday... intended to be a 5 minute test ride.. rode from the airport to heritage pointe. God it feels good to be back on the bike. :burnout:

JVR1
04-11-2011, 04:02 PM
went out on sat and sun. it felt soooooo nice to be riding again that i put on about 300kms over the weekend. it is a bit sketch on side roads but otherwise quite decent if you take it easy.

rony_espana
04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
First ride of the year for me yesterday, was awesome to finally get back on the bike. Was planning on a longer ride but it took me 2 hours to charge my battery!

Graham_A_M
04-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Lol, frick I'm jealous :( stuck out here in a ginormous mud pit called a farm. Im in sask, bikes in calgary... FML

Go4Long
04-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I got out today...put the new case cover on (old one was scratched up), topped er up with a fresh lot of Motul and took her to drop off my pay stub for the financing on my new toy (with 4 wheels...no new 2 wheeled toys for me :( )

It wasn't a bad ride...people still look a little surprised to see a bike out at times, and there's some spots where there's a LOT of gravel, and the roads are dusty everywhere, spun the tire once on acceleration, nothing to crazy though...just a little spin and a grab :P

Cos
04-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Well riding a bit more regularly. Hoping to ride to work soon, but so far weather has sucked ass.

Wife has been able to get out a ton more than me.

We going to arrange a ride soon for everyone?

Go4Long
04-11-2011, 09:09 PM
let's wait a few more weeks...but I'm down.

I can't ride to work till it gets a whole lot warmer...I work 5:30 - 5:30 so it's either to cold when I get off, or to cold when I get to work depending on whether I'm on nights or days.

avishal26
04-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I put my Leo Vince exhaust on on Friday night.. have been sneaking out for short rides every chance I get... :nut:

Went out at midnight on Sunday just cause I wanted to hear them pipes again :D put 200kms over the weekend

Cos
04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
let's wait a few more weeks...but I'm down.

Yeah sorry I didnt mean anytime soon. It has to be over 15/16 to do a decent run out to Canmore or Bragg Creek.

I actually would like to do 2A to Canmore with everyone. I go 'quick' but not 1000 balls to the wall quick so there should maybe a front group. I will bring up the old ballz at the back.

Stop at the hotel for a beer on the patio.... perfect saturday.

TYMSMNY
04-12-2011, 08:45 AM
^ sounds great. Once the weather hits there, make the sign up sheet and count me in. :D

codetrap
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM
I got a chance to pull the wife's bike out and go for a boot. That little S40 is just fun to ride. Also got mine out for a short hop to warm it up. I have to admit, I'm thinking about maybe a cruiser instead of a sport bike. That laid back riding position is just nice.

rony_espana
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I got a chance to pull the wife's bike out and go for a boot. That little S40 is just fun to ride. Also got mine out for a short hop to warm it up. I have to admit, I'm thinking about maybe a cruiser instead of a sport bike. That laid back riding position is just nice.

I've owned a cruiser and a sportbike and honestly the sport bikes look cooler but I didn't enjoy the rides as much since I was so uncomfortable. Now with my cruiser (more of a sport cruiser I guess) I enjoy going out much more!

Go4Long
04-12-2011, 09:17 AM
it really all depends on what you're in to...if you're in to tight corners at high speeds, then you want a sport bike...if you're in to long rides at low speeds without any wind buffeting and a comfy seat you want a cruiser.

if you're in to beer stained t-shirts, oil stains on your driveway, half helmets and vests, and inbreeding, you want a harley.

Graham_A_M
04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
There are a lot of bike manufacturers out there that are making very sporty cruiser bikes, (read: ones that can actually carry speed around a corner). I'd check into one of them

GQBalla
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Ride sounds great, but i need new tires! trying for my hook up in the states to ship me up some tires but he hasn't gotten back to me in a week now.

le sigh

TYMSMNY
04-12-2011, 11:57 AM
^ and urban can't get the deals on moto tires...

looking for 2CTs?

Go4Long
04-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Tires:
http://www.redlinecalgary.com

tell em Steve sent you...not that it'll get you a deal, but he has lots of great stories and can show you my wrecked shoei from my first crash :poosie:

GQBalla
04-12-2011, 01:19 PM
actually i didn't check with Urban.

but damn, great price from Redline.

MrSector9
04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I agree about the comfort aspects of it all, however unless it is a full dressed cruiser i don't like the way i sit on those either.

I wanted something that felt like a musclebike from the 70's, much like a KZ,CB,GS with an upright seating position that is rather neutral.

I bought one of these. seating postion is great, super comfortable, ordered it with a quick detach windshield (11" leaves no hardware on the bike and off in 5 seconds). The only thing now with it is the seat on longer rides, so i plan on getting one built up to be comfortable.

Decent power, great torque for actual riding, has Showa BPF's (similar to ZX10) on the front and fully adjustable showa's on the rear, the only real issue with the bike is that it is a boat anchor and weighs in quite heavy, at the same time I am riding it on the street and I am not a dink that pushes way to hard on the street. If I wanted to race a bike I would build one for the track, this one is for pleasure.

http://motorimpress.com/images/news/06.2010/2011-harley-davidson-xr1200x/2011-harley-davidson-xr1200x-00.jpg

Also I do love vests, mullets, oil stains and trashy woman..... in reality who doesn't?

04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
^ Bike looks awesome, defiantly a nice set up from harley.

Anyone who is looking for tires I'm pretty sure Blackfoot has the best prices in town (most stock=bigger discount), their installation prices however...

MrSector9
04-13-2011, 09:50 AM
That is the trade off, cheap tires, more to install and as everyone knows depending on the tech and how much workmanship he is proud of it is a gamble.

The only time I every marked a wheel I got to work for 2 weeks to buy the guy a new wheel, you learn extremely quick to treat it like your own :)

I know BowCycle had an install deal going on and usually you can get stuff at a good price and installed at a decent price if you are good at haggling a little.

rony_espana
04-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
it really all depends on what you're in to...if you're in to tight corners at high speeds, then you want a sport bike...if you're in to long rides at low speeds without any wind buffeting and a comfy seat you want a cruiser.

if you're in to beer stained t-shirts, oil stains on your driveway, half helmets and vests, and inbreeding, you want a harley.

Nah, I bought my harley because it could keep up with most sport bikes! :poosie:

Graham_A_M
04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
^Really? How about in the corners? ...... Yeah that's what I thought ;)

Supa Dexta
04-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I think he means within the city.. :rofl:

rony_espana
04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
^^You'd be surprised...:D Everything I did on my ninja can be done on my Harley.

Now back to the topic...guess I'll be storing the bike back for a couple of days/weeks! 10-15cm of snow :banghead:

Go4Long
04-13-2011, 07:06 PM
then you weren't anywhere near the limits of the ninja.
Even brad gavey can't drag a knee on a harley...and he can drag a knee on EVERYTHING that you can drag a knee on:

http://stevenszabo.smugmug.com/photos/1251288548_TMsZh-L.jpg

the harley just feels faster because it makes a lot more torque...trust me...on a track or even a really twisty road there's just no contest.

harley's can do many things...just not this:

http://stevenszabo.smugmug.com/photos/1251325984_KzQQD-L.jpg

or this:

http://stevenszabo.smugmug.com/photos/1251326022_hxNnB-L.jpg

and a couple other things ;)

MrSector9
04-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Where i agree with most of what is said, and that most 90% of people that ride sportbikes cannot even come close to pushing a 600cc bike to the limits, also they are purpose bred to race and corner so there is no way in HELL it can compete. To be honest you need to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges and Harley does not have any type of sportbike under their own brand name.

As for the "speed" part and acceleration anyone that will argue a Harley is faster is an IDIOT, it is science.. HP to weight ratio tells the story, add in aerodynamics (and weight) and it is a closed case. It complete depends on what you are comparing.

So compare a kawasaki vulcan 900 to a sportster to a race, a fulley dressed bagger harley (i have no idea what they are called) to a Yamaha Venture, The vrod's direct competitor would be something like the Yamaha Warrior... when you are speaking of handling and "racing"

That being said.. not all harley's are created equal, nor are some of the bikes you posted.

As for knee dragging

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/files/vir-third-round-ama-xr1200-series.jpg

as for lifting the front tire... that just depends on riders skill and how insane they really are, I do agree that most cannot get up like a common sportbike when pushing excessive speeds, but even then it is no feat of mechanical superiority...

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2009/7/99%20vertical%20wheelie.jpg

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/general-harley-davidson-chat/57930d1248147758-bagger-doing-a-wheely-road-glide-wheely.jpg

Wasn't brought up but specialized drag racing

http://www.nitrojam.com/uploadedImages/News/2011/Dorn.jpg

In the end to summarize, this is the issue that always comes up, it is no different then saying an f1 will beat a nascar... of course it will, why not compare a mud truck to a ferrari?

one thing I am sure everyone can agree on.

The one thing no one can argue with... what can a harley do better then any japanese bike?

http://trailblazer.smugmug.com/photos/271427678_BehpX-M.jpg

People get way to upset over the stupidest things and defensive. who really cares what anyone else rides? why is there a need to "bash" what you do not own?

rony_espana
04-15-2011, 08:35 AM
I actually couldn't push my honda shadow 750 to its limits, so I'm sure I was no where near the ninjas limit haha.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll136/atvman_400/10989-2006-Harley-Davidson-VRSC.jpg

shakalaka
04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Fuck! I want to get another bike!! :(

Graham_A_M
04-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I was just joking about the Harley comment. I wouldn't mind a Harley, its just the engines that kill it for me.
(Im not being upset or defensive here, just stating well known facts)

A 45 degree Vtwin is a good design in a way, it takes up very little space, and still is very "torque-y". Problem is; with a 45 degree angle you need a huge counterbalance to counteract the vibrations. That said counterbalance is quite heavy, so Ducati has always opted for the 90 degree Vtwin which (despite being much harder to fit into a bike) requires almost no counterbalance, and thus; big weight savings.

Harley chose not to implement that, instead you now have a bike that shakes itself apart.
Some people think "I love harley's because of the vibration"
:rofl: Its like.... um... thats due to a very very poor engine design.
I can go on and on, (dont get me started on the short lived 800cc XLCR "sportbike") but I wont.
The thing that really killed me though was the 42hp 1.3L EVO engine (1984-1999). Rather then fix a chronic engine problem of burning oil since new; they just added an oil reserve tank so you dont have to keep filling it every time you go riding, instead it just sucks oil as needed.
Its like..... guys you're really missing the point here. :facepalm:
If it was a *FANTASTIC* engine design, keeping it in production for 15 years makes good sense for a cruiser. Why not right? only it wasn't. I forget what engineering school it was, but they found 42 engineering faults within that engine... which is a lot for a push-rod, carbed V-twin.

A lot of their more recent offerings are definitely on the right track, such as Rony's bike. I think it'll take a lot of persuasion to make the general metric cruiser crowd to ever take notice though.

MrSector9
04-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I am actually surprised at how smooth(for what it is) a rubber mount motor was at speed, at stops it is insane though.

Also to comment on their engineering faults.. what makes it worse is that they have been specializing on that exact design (v-twin/pushrod) for how long? If it was a companies first engine then it can be somewhat forgiven.

Even though I own it I see the shortcomings, then some would say well why did you buy it if you think all of this is wrong with it... well I just like it.

Graham_A_M
04-16-2011, 11:13 PM
^ Like I say, nothing against you (or HD as of late), I was just pointing out some of the faults that killed HD for so many people, myself included.

rony_espana
04-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Maybe if I knew about motorcycle engines I wouldn't have bought it haha, the only reason I bought it is because the engine was apparently Porsche designed. Not even sure if its true to be honest.

This snowfall should delay biking for a good 2 weeks I'm thinking!

aypi
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
finally rode my bike today. feels fucking great.

btw COS, i saw you with 2 other riders yesterday by husky in coventry.

Cos
04-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Haha yeah that is the wife and codetrap.

Rode to work today. First time this year!