PDA

View Full Version : Paint scratches

Doug
09-09-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi, I have a two year old car and I have some scratches and swirl marks in the paint. I'm looking for a perferred method of removal and also a name of a compound or agent to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Doug

5gluder
09-09-2002, 01:54 PM
You can try a clay bar. I also found Meguires(sp?) 3 step process to be good. I heard Scratch X was also good to get out swirls.

Davan
09-09-2002, 02:15 PM
I tried mother scratch remover. Biggest waste of 10 bucks ever. Didn't do a damn thing to small or big scratches or swirl marks.

Ferio_vti
09-09-2002, 05:30 PM
The turtle wax with the lipstick thing works pretty good for big scratches.

ninspeed
09-09-2002, 05:35 PM
If the scratches are in to the paint, you should get some touch up paint from the dealer only, do not use crappy tire stuff ect. If its only clear coat scratches that are deep, get some 1500grit sand paper and sand the area down very gently as not to remove all the clear coat. Fill the area in useing 3M Polishing Compund (i think 57072) then use a Crystal Glaze, flowed by a fine finish (depends on car color).. you will most likey need to use a power polisher. Or you can try a premium wax such as Meguaries Gold Class, i would use a liquid in the case. Use a little bit of Polishing Compound first inthe deep scratches fisrt. Thats the two ways to do it.. The first on will leave you with a very high gloss finish, where as the 2nd one will look like you waxed the car only..

PrankishSmart
09-10-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
If the scratches are in to the paint, you should get some touch up paint from the dealer only, do not use crappy tire stuff ect. If its only clear coat scratches that are deep, get some 1500grit sand paper and sand the area down very gently as not to remove all the clear coat. Fill the area in useing 3M Polishing Compund (i think 57072) then use a Crystal Glaze, flowed by a fine finish (depends on car color).. you will most likey need to use a power polisher. Or you can try a premium wax such as Meguaries Gold Class, i would use a liquid in the case. Use a little bit of Polishing Compound first inthe deep scratches fisrt. Thats the two ways to do it.. The first on will leave you with a very high gloss finish, where as the 2nd one will look like you waxed the car only..

:bullshit:

5gluder
09-10-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by PrankishSmart

What are you referring to?

ninspeed
09-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by PrankishSmart

You can come visit me at work if you wish one day.. i work at jack carter in the PDI depatrment detaling all the new cars.. I have black cars that have sat out side where people take snow bruses to them in the winter, and let them air dry in the summer.. I usually have to cut polish black cars which means taking a layer of clear coat right off..