PDA

View Full Version : Kia?? Am I crazy?

OU812
03-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Ok so looking to buy a new SUV after going to the Car show on the weekend the think I was most impressed with were the Kia Sportage and the Kia Sorento.

The price and features for that price seemed really good. Seems Kia has stepped up their game in recent years?

So am I crazy?

Anyone have personal experience with either?

Thanks

max_boost
03-14-2011, 05:57 PM
No you aren't crazy.

If rage2/89coupe/ImRich etc. bought a Kia, then yes they are crazy.

A790
03-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I bought a 2010 Forte a year ago (almost to the day). It's been great to me from a reliability/fuel economy point of view.

Interior fit and finish is above what I feel I paid for, exterior finish is pretty good. The paint LOVES to chip though :(

I'm pretty happy with the purchase overall. Just wish it was turbo + RWD :)

jzz30dk
03-14-2011, 06:15 PM
i have a sportage as my daily. i have never had a problem with it. its front wheel drive with traction control, its great in the snow

Kloubek
03-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Kia and Hyundai have made amazing strides over the last few years. My wife just bought an Accent, and it is better than the domestic econoboxes for sure.

The new Sportage is a very nice looking little SUV. Can't blame you for being impressed.

tirebob
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I have owned 2 Kia's and I was very happy with both. Never had any issues with either and both provided excellent value compared to similar more expensive sized cars, and had a lot more options to boot...

OU812
03-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Kia and Hyundai have made amazing strides over the last few years. My wife just bought an Accent, and it is better than the domestic econoboxes for sure.

The new Sportage is a very nice looking little SUV. Can't blame you for being impressed.

Yeah the Sportage seemed bigger than the Sorento and had a really nice layout. I just worry about how much depreceation Kia seems to have but at the same time I would probably keep the darn thing for 10 years so anything I buy will be worth squat.

MrSector9
03-14-2011, 07:46 PM
When it comes time to get rid of my Jetta I am looking into Kia for sure, I like the forte and the soul, so the gf mihgt get 1 and me the other.

Mileage seems great, resale on the newer ones holds pretty good and they have a good warranty.

My boss at work recently bought the minivan one, he loves it, has DVD with wireless headphones, super good value.

Guillermo
03-14-2011, 08:39 PM
i'm a big fan of hyundai, which (i think) is the parent company of kia. my first car was an 88 excel, and it was a MAJOR piece of shit, but hyundai has come a LONG way since those days. I was very seriously looking at getting a v6 sonata, but decided that I wanted to go with a hatch instead... so went with a mazda instead. (I really wish hyundai would reintroduce a mid-size hatch). but, then we bought a accent hatch for the work commute. it's not bad at all, although I always complain how bad it suycks when i drive that thing (underpowered, but then again it's just a go kart for her to drive to work).

i don't know much about the Kia's, but I have been liking the new designs - particularly the forte and soul. :thumbsup:

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Almost bought a Forte, but then I got a big boy car ;)

New Kia's and Hyundais are damn good cars, wait until the Hyundai Velostar or whatever that 3 door hatch back was. That's gonna be a good commuter car.

tch7
03-19-2011, 05:26 PM
I had a rental 2011 Sorento recently for about 2 weeks. I wasn't happy when they told me they were giving me a Kia, but by the end of the 2 weeks I was really, really impressed by it.

The stock tires it had were total shit in the snow, which even the AWD couldn't compensate for, but that's an easy fix. Very zippy with the V6, good on gas, nice functional size, comfortable and good quality interior, and well priced. I think it's a great buy.

Redlyne_mr2
03-19-2011, 08:01 PM
If you just need a cheap lease and you're jut keeping it for a couple of years go for it. Don't bother paying cash or financing one. They don't hold their value and their reliability is hit and miss.

Weapon_R
03-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I recently rented a sonata and thought it was a great car. I still can't stomach the resale, as that same $30k car I tested will be 10k in 2 years.

Thaco
03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
yeah i am really considering trading in my civic for a soul... still not interested in putting myself back in a car payment, but i think that's my #1 option right now.

Proboscis
03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
No your not crazy. Working on the new Kia cars makes me sane. Very tech friendly to work on. Kias got soul. :)

j0ly
03-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Bought the new Sportage SX (turbo) today, it's not even on their Canadian website. Picked it up for dealer invoice +3% (car cost report). we test drove all in the class and are very happy to drive this. Feature for feature it was the best value for the dollar. We get it in May.

crapstixs
03-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I recently rented a sonata and thought it was a great car. I still can't stomach the resale, as that same $30k car I tested will be 10k in 2 years.
biggest thing with hyundai/kia is the depreciation, you spend 30g's on a car, then is worth 2g's in a few years. non-the less there awsome cars, you know they will be dependable seeing there using 10 year old honda technology.
i belive its brothers that own hyundia/kia.

Proboscis
03-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Depreciation is going to stop, the Sonata is such a nice car. Now if I could find a mint Pony.

SportEL
03-19-2011, 09:40 PM
The new Kia Optima looks nice. The newly designed Sonata looks nice too. Same goes with the Elantra. It looks so much better than the new Civic.

Speed_69
03-19-2011, 09:43 PM
I would definitely consider buying a used Sonata one day. I test drove one and loved it. Was definitely impressed.

Disoblige
03-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by j0ly
Bought the new Sportage SX (turbo) today, it's not even on their Canadian website. Picked it up for dealer invoice +3% (car cost report). we test drove all in the class and are very happy to drive this. Feature for feature it was the best value for the dollar. We get it in May.
Wow 260 HP Sportage, 2.0 L Turbo. Cool. They should get it on their site ASAP because current Sportage line-up don't appeal to me at all lol.

SPEEDY Zoom
03-19-2011, 10:17 PM
KIA's are very nice, complete turn around for the company. not as big as mazda, honda, and toyota, but i would buy a kia.

j0ly
03-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Wow 260 HP Sportage, 2.0 L Turbo. Cool. They should get it on their site ASAP because current Sportage line-up don't appeal to me at all lol.

its on the US one, www.kia.com, the Canadian version has a ton included. Moon Roof, keyless entry, push start, leather heated and cooled seats, and choice of Nav or UVO (like ford sync, same tech).

US Specs can be found here, same specs just different options package.

http://www.kia.com/#/sportage/specifications/

Xtrema
03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Damn, didn't know they are putting that 2L turbo into the Sportage.

How much is that in Canada? $30K USD loaded is pretty awesome.

j0ly
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Damn, didn't know they are putting that 2L turbo into the Sportage.

How much is that in Canada? $30K USD loaded is pretty awesome.

I picked up mine for 37700 all in, cost +3% according to car cost reports, it's a Fricken sweet ride if you ask me. The US version doesn't included some feature standard like nav, leather, moon roof, cooled seats, etc.. The Canadian one does, but of course the price shows it's included.. They say msrp is around 42k

Xtrema
03-20-2011, 08:25 PM

I picked up mine for 37700 all in, cost +3% according to car cost reports, it's a Fricken sweet ride if you ask me. The US version doesn't included some feature standard like nav, leather, moon roof, cooled seats, etc.. The Canadian one does, but of course the price shows it's included.. They say msrp is around 42k

Nice. I have never shopped in this segment and didn't even know that most loaded model (RAV4, CRV) are now pushing $40K!

Always thought they are low $20s to low $30s.

Aleks
03-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Looks like they have a $2500 factory to dealer cash incentive so combining that with $2500 markup to play with makes it a great deal if you're paying cash.

j0ly
03-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Looks like they have a $2500 factory to dealer cash incentive so combining that with $2500 markup to play with makes it a great deal if you're paying cash.

Yup, and we are not picking it up till may, so we'll see what other promotions they come up with in the next 2 months.

Nels
03-20-2011, 10:00 PM
My car's in the shop so they gave me a Sorento to drive for the meantime. I'm loving it so far, it's a comfortable ride and surprisingly powerful.

n1zm0
03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I sat in a sorento at the auto show, quite impressed imo, the top of the line price was a little much tho, 30k wouldve suited it a bit better I think

CapnCrunch
03-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I'd wait until the depreciation gets under control and they have a few consistent years of above average reliability.

codetrap
03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Interesting Charts on Cost of Ownership
Sorento
http://www.automotive.com/2011/101/kia/sorento/sx-sport-utility/3322/ownership-costs/index.html

Rav4
http://www.automotive.com/2011/12/toyota/rav4/ownership-costs/index.html

Escape
http://www.automotive.com/2011/101/ford/escape/limited-sport-utility/991/ownership-costs/index.html

Outlander
http://www.automotive.com/2011/101/mitsubishi/outlander/xls-sport-utility/1759/ownership-costs/index.html

Santa Fe
http://www.automotive.com/2011/101/hyundai/santa-fe/limited-sport-utility/991/ownership-costs/index.html

GT4rally
03-21-2011, 07:39 PM
I love my BMW, but Hyundai and Kia are gonna take over the world! Great cars!

derpderp
03-21-2011, 09:11 PM
I also rented a KIA recently and I actually really enjoyed the car.

vtec4life
03-22-2011, 09:52 AM
My mom just got a sorento V6. one down from the top of the line in pearl white ( best color). She loves it. I like driving it. the interior is great looking. the V6 is powerful. we paid just over $35k and got bluetooth, heated leather seats, 18" wheels, back up camera, and pretty much everything else you need minus navigation. She doesnt stray too far from home though so thought that navigation would be a waste of money. Good SUV that she will have for the next 10-12 years.

cam_wmh
03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Wrote off my 337, and the rental car agency said they had a Kia for me.
Disappointed when I first heard that. Well just returne the Soul after having it for 2 weeks. Girlfriend loved it, and were looking at that segment for her this fall. The transmission was a lil clunky though.
(Scion xB, Nissan Cube, Kia Soul)

davesparky6
03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
The kia Optima (the one on the stand at the car show) looks awesome....
I bet when it goes on sale it ends up with 15" wheels and some kinda trim deficiencies though. Still, price-wise I think they are great cars.

ZorroAMG
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Wait, there's a $70,000 Hyundai now?

WTF....

EDIT...the Equus is a gorgeous car.

Aleks
03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by davesparky6
The kia Optima (the one on the stand at the car show) looks awesome....
I bet when it goes on sale it ends up with 15" wheels and some kinda trim deficiencies though. Still, price-wise I think they are great cars.

That was a production version of the SX turbo model. Price for that one is $34k or so. Base model comes with smaller wheels and less body cladding and non turbo engine in the low 20s

Xtrema
03-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Wait, there's a $70,000 Hyundai now?

WTF....

EDIT...the Equus is a gorgeous car.

Saw that at the show and I think when I'm spending $70K, Hyundai won't be on my shopping list even if it's almost as good as LS460. As far as Hyundai has improved, it's not a luxury brand as much as they want to be. At best they are Acura. Not Lexus or Infiniti.

ZorroAMG
03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I'd hardly call Lexus or Infiniti any better than Acura and now hyundai.

All of those cars are in the same league, still not MB/Audi/BMW so I'd say they are all equally poised...