PDA

View Full Version : The 55K question

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Gents,

Getting the urge to swap and thinking I'll have a budget around $55K depending on what I can sell my 2008 335i sedan for.

Current list:

Cayman S PDK - Read nothing but amazing things about this car but not in love with the looks and practicality.
Audi TT RS - Like the looks better but can't afford the models with auto-ish tranny which is a must
M3 - Way better practicality from both the coupe or sedan but dislike the idea of buying a year ahead of a neq body release
Audi S4/S5 - Doesn't feel like much of an upgrade over my 335i

I like a lot of mercs but without an ability to import them, feel like I can get more for my money. Will not go with a rally car (Evo, Sti, etc.), want more luxury.

Prefer newer so I have some warranty.

Any other thoughts/opinions.

Thanks

davesparky6
03-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Cayman :thumbsup:
Plus, with the way they've set up the hatch there's tons of room for storage, WAY more practical than the Audi TT IMO... (Except the RWD thing)

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 07:39 AM
^ Thats tops on my list for sure, having a bit of trouble finding one at the moment, cars.com, ebay ... anywhere else you'd hunt?

davesparky6
03-15-2011, 07:45 AM
autotrader.com... They are CHEAP in the states. Also if you've got an iphone, get the "search used" app, searches every classified in every province... Best buck I've ever spent.

Everlast
03-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by davesparky6
autotrader.com... They are CHEAP in the states. Also if you've got an iphone, get the "search used" app, searches every classified in every province... Best buck I've ever spent.

Or you can use the website for free on your computer.

Link (http://searchused.ca/)

flipstah
03-15-2011, 08:09 AM
What's wrong with a local C63?

Between your choices though, I'd go for the Cayman too. Some colors just make it look SO good.

If you're willing to wait for that new model...

M3 for sure.

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks, i find cars.com still best

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Everlast

Or you can use the website for free on your computer.

Link (http://searchused.ca/)

canadian only and tried searching all for cayman s pdk ... and got no returns

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
What's wrong with a local C63?

Between your choices though, I'd go for the Cayman too. Some colors just make it look SO good.

If you're willing to wait for that new model...

M3 for sure.

Nothing really, haven't thought much about it. I think I wrote it off because I've heard its undrivable in the winter but maybe that the case with my other choices as well. Anyone know if the c63 is drivable in winter with a good set of winters?

arian_ma
03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Ask Rage2 and Benyl. They both do it.

Redlyne_mr2
03-15-2011, 11:19 AM
M3, I find the styling of the Cayman a bit odd. We wont see a new m3 for 3 more years anyway.

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Oh yeah I didn't mean new m3 just that a general 3 series body will debut in a year. Redlyne, any chance of getting into an automatic m3 for 55k locally or am I importing? Haven't researched them much.

iroccragg
03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Oh yeah I didn't mean new m3 just that a general 3 series body will debut in a year. Redlyne, any chance of getting into an automatic m3 for 55k locally or am I importing? Haven't researched them much.

I picked mine up for under 55k, 6 speed tho
there is a nice DCT for 61k on kijiji you might be able to get into with your budget

JfuckinC
03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Ask Rage2 and Benyl. They both do it.

Yep a buddy of mine drives his all winter also, loves it.

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Hmmm, after more reading and thinking I'm feeling like I have a new hunting order; m3, c63, cayman

Seems like the m3 is just the better value proposition and far more practical. Can't find immediately on the net but any real chanages from 2008 to 2011 other than exterior update. I read a few reviews that peg the perf of the 2011 better than its older siblings.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I vote 4dr M3 or RS4.

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Like the rs4 but body is getting dated and don't think it comes with dct, pdk type tranny in my price range. Hearing gas is better in the m3 vs other super sedans.

94boosted
03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Cayman S PDK - It won't be as fast up here as it is an N/A car. Maintenance will be expensive.
Audi TT RS - Can you even import these? I thought they were a Europe only model.
M3 - These are nice.
Audi S4/S5 - Why not get an 08 RS4 you can easily get a low mileage one for under 55k?

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Intersting point on the cayman, thought the tt was avail, see my above thoughts on the rs4 ... M3 ftw me thinks

Sugarphreak
03-15-2011, 12:41 PM

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Was also thinking, wait a year and go after a new body 3 series.

max_boost
03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
NSX. It won't depreciate as fast. :rofl:

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Ha, love that car but want something with warranty and a bit more practicality. Did get wasted on my last m3 though.

Kg810
03-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Was also thinking, wait a year and go after a new body 3 series.

I'd wait. Seems like 2012 will have a lot of refreshed looks.

Keep in mind if you planning to wait for the F30, it will only be Sedan first. The order will be Sedan, Coupe, Convertible and then M3. So there won't be a new M3 until quite some time.

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeah I'd be after the sedan I think, maybe I will wait any ideas on pricing for a fully loaded one?

max_boost
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
You can always wait and wait and wait for this and then that. 1st year cars are no good so buy a 2nd year one that has its kinks worked out lol oh wait, maybe wait another year and buy that 1st year since its depreciated lol but next thing you know the 4th year is due for a refresh and the cycle repeats itself.

Just buy something exciting and fun for now, and flip it when something else better comes along. :D

max_boost
03-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I think whatever you get, must be turbo or very high hp/torque N/A engine so that eliminates the Cayman in my opinion. You don't want something like the E46M3 power who some say, is as slow as dog shit.

With that said, I'd probably just keep the 335i or do some mods to it so you are interested in it again haha

Kg810
03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
^

Very true.

OP, if you don't want to wait to see the prices of refreshed cars that will be popping up next year, I would definitely recommend getting a E90 LCI M3 and have some fun with that. :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 01:23 PM
True on waiting, f it, one life, haha. I didn't love my e46 m3 that much, the 335i kills it.

freshprince1
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
I'd personally go for the Cayman, given your suggestions. I think the styling gives it a nice edge. (Maganda yan talaga!)

On a side note, how was driving a RWD BMW in the winter? I'm thinking of upgrading in a few months and was pretty set on an x-drive model, but I could get a nice "i" for less money and still get a good looking car...I just don't want to be stressed out in the winter with a RWD. I know they balance them, and they have traction control...how was it in your experience? (if you don't mind me mildly derailing your thread).

Jlude
03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Cayman looks funny... it's so close to a boxter... and would you drive a Boxter? Didn't think so.

Can you get the TT RS in Canada? I would rock that for sure!

Aleks
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
If you like to drive get the Cayman and it will probably keep your interest for longer than a year. You'll likely get bored of all the rest like you did with your past cars :dunno:

94boosted
03-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
They are coming to North America this year, although they compete more with the 1M Coupe than anything else on the OP's list. I don't think they can be had for 55K though.

I didn't know they were actually going to bring the TTRS here. And if they do how much are they going to charge for the damn thing, the TTS starts at $58K :eek: can't imagine what the TTRS will be, there is no way it can compete with the 1M which will have an MSRP of ~$53K

94boosted
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
If you like to drive get the Cayman and it will probably keep your interest for longer than a year. You'll likely get bored of all the rest like you did with your past cars :dunno:

Just keep in mind that your 335i is probably faster in a straight line up here then a Cayman S is :rofl: So while the Cayman S is a bit faster around a track/auto-x, the other 360 days of the year you may have some regrets.

03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Think I'm the only one here but out of your choices I would go with the S5, it tops all of your picks and your 335 in the luxury department, looks killer, newer body style, more than enough performance (for me anyway), also on the rarer side so you wont see one every where you go.

An older RS4 would also be a good choice but I agree that it will look a little dated.

dino_martini
03-15-2011, 03:28 PM
M3 sedan with supercharger...like what Tunerworks had at their booth at the Auto Show. :drool: :)

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
I'd personally go for the Cayman, given your suggestions. I think the styling gives it a nice edge. (Maganda yan talaga!)

On a side note, how was driving a RWD BMW in the winter? I'm thinking of upgrading in a few months and was pretty set on an x-drive model, but I could get a nice "i" for less money and still get a good looking car...I just don't want to be stressed out in the winter with a RWD. I know they balance them, and they have traction control...how was it in your experience? (if you don't mind me mildly derailing your thread).

Got a set of nokians, they were expensive but this winter and the one before were easy. No issues at all, and I'm not being a tough guy I sold my is350 that had new winters (albeit not nokians) cause I found it winter undrivable.

davesparky6
03-15-2011, 03:39 PM
What about a Jaguar XF? I don't know what a used XFR goes for but my god...:drool:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-15-2011, 03:40 PM
One thing I have to say is the S5 back seat is smaller than my moms 135i back seat. I was pretty surprised by that.

rage2
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Anyone know if the c63 is drivable in winter with a good set of winters?
By far my favorite winter car. My only complaint? No AWD, it would've been nice to be able to launch a little better. ESP Sport is perfect for light controllable and safe drifts that doesn't look like drifts from the outside, so you won't get in trouble. 2 winters now, and have yet to get stuck in the worst conditions that Calgary's given us.

When my lease is up, I'm probably going to replace the C63 with the facelifted C63, which has an even better transmission (AMG Speedshift MCT). Car's that much fun. Only other car that's on the radar is the RS5, if it makes it here...

Oh yea, tires. Buy lots. Car goes through tires. That's an understatement lol. I'm on my 4th set of rears right now (2 rear summers toast, 2 rear winters toast). Not bad for 18 months of ownership.

03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by 5.0
Think I'm the only one here but out of your choices I would go with the S5, it tops all of your picks and your 335 in the luxury department, looks killer, newer body style, more than enough performance (for me anyway), also on the rarer side so you wont see one every where you go.

An older RS4 would also be a good choice but I agree that it will look a little dated.

Edit: The S5 is also AWD

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Just keep in mind that your 335i is probably faster in a straight line up here then a Cayman S is :rofl: So while the Cayman S is a bit faster around a track/auto-x, the other 360 days of the year you may have some regrets. zero tracking, want the straight line perf, cayman is out, thanks

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by 5.0

Liking s5 idea, on the list need to check that back seat though vs say couple m3 or drop m3

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 06:58 PM
What about a Jaguar XF? I don't know what a used XFR goes for but my god...:drool:

Going to check that out tonight online a bit, off the top though I'd say I'd be worried about depriciation above all othrs, maybe reli as well.

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Probably feeling like this...

M3 - but still don't like idea of a new 3 body on the road in 12 months
C63 - tires and gas seem painful but gotta pay to play I guess
S5 - seems less perf and practicality but sexy - does it come in auto?

Dark horse; the jag will add or elimante tonight

Thanks for the input

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Liking s5 idea, on the list need to check that back seat though vs say couple m3 or drop m3

I think I said it before, but the S5 back seat was smaller than the back seat in the 135i when my dad sat in his driving position in both.

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Yikes, well my wife and I hot real tall so might be ok

pinoyhero
03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by 5.0

Edit: The S5 is also AWD

Yes big add for me

max_boost
03-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Used S4!

AWD
Supercharge
S-tronic

Beautiful car.

03-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Pretty sure the backseat is useless, but I would still go check it out. Comes 6-speed and s-tronic auto.

Xtrema
03-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Probably feeling like this...

M3 - but still don't like idea of a new 3 body on the road in 12 months
C63 - tires and gas seem painful but gotta pay to play I guess
S5 - seems less perf and practicality but sexy - does it come in auto?

Dark horse; the jag will add or elimante tonight

Thanks for the input

The only down side with S5 auto is that you get the plan old 6 speed Tiptronic auto slushbox. Not S-Tronic

7speed DSG (S-Tronic) only get paired with the 3.0TFSI S5 Cab and S4.

The other part I didn't like is it's not a sunroof but a moonroof. Even with the short coming S5 is the sexiest coupe on the market IMO. Better than 6 series.

Backseat leg room is ok as long as driver isn't over 6ft. But the headroom is limited like a G35 so you won't want to be back there if you're over 5'5".

CMW403
03-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Nothing really, haven't thought much about it. I think I wrote it off because I've heard its undrivable in the winter but maybe that the case with my other choices as well. Anyone know if the c63 is drivable in winter with a good set of winters?

Wait... why would you think a C63 is an "undrivable" in the winter yet an M3 is?

Pretty sure both RWD V8s are going to give you the same shitty experience in the winter when compared to an AWD Porsche or Audi...

03-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The only down side with S5 auto is that you get the plan old 6 speed Tiptronic auto slushbox. Not S-Tronic

7speed DSG (S-Tronic) only get paired with the 3.0TFSI S5 Cab and S4.

The other part I didn't like is it's not a sunroof but a moonroof. Even with the short coming S5 is the sexiest coupe on the market IMO. Better than 6 series.

Backseat leg room is ok as long as driver isn't over 6ft. But the headroom is limited like a G35 so you won't want to be back there if you're over 5'5".

Yeah your right, sorry I thought for sure it came with the S-Tronic. But I do prefer the moonroof over sun roof...:confused:

Redlyne_mr2
03-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Yah I might have something. They seem to be really holding their value. Ill get back to you.

pinoyhero
03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks all, m3 it is me thinks. Its gonna be an 09 with the dct tranny, suprisingly I'm not fussed about 90, 92 or 93, prob just got for one that has a full load and is best value. Not to fussed on color, like black, met black, silvstone, the purp/blue color and gunmetal ... Just no red, white or straight silver.

CSMRX7
03-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Good call:thumbsup:

pinoyhero
03-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah, ill be happy when she's in my garage, got some work to do now like selling my ride and finding a new one

benyl
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks all, m3 it is me thinks. Its gonna be an 09 with the dct tranny, suprisingly I'm not fussed about 90, 92 or 93, prob just got for one that has a full load and is best value. Not to fussed on color, like black, met black, silvstone, the purp/blue color and gunmetal ... Just no red, white or straight silver.

I love the E9X M3, but you do know that your 335i is faster with 3 PSI boost in Calgary, right? (Juice box plus. Basically a boost controller)

If you are going for handling, then no question, the M3 is better than the 335. If you are going for looks, same thing. But pure speed, I think you might be disappointed.

It will have a different feel to the power delivery, but it won't be faster in the quarter, if that is what you are looking for.

Food for thought.

pinoyhero
03-17-2011, 12:50 PM
You'd suggest the c63 then, close second for sure. I know its pay to play but going through a set of summers and winters every year and monster gas consumption turns me off a bit. This will be my daily driverm

benyl
03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
You'd suggest the c63 then, close second for sure. I know its pay to play but going through a set of summers and winters every year and monster gas consumption turns me off a bit. This will be my daily driverm

Actually, no... haha

I went through a set of Summer each summer with the 335 as well when I had it.

I don't drive like an ass hat in the winter, so I have had 2 seasons on the same winters (Square set up so I can rotate) and will probably get another winter out of them.

Can't help you on the gas consumption. 16L / 100 kms is what I average commuting from Royal Oak to DT on Crowchild.

I am just managing your expectations. Go drive an M3 before you sell your car.

rp_guy
03-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

i think you have it backwards.. the S5 does not have a mechanically sliding moonroof, but a "tilt" sunroof only

dimi
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
You said you wanted the straight line performance, yet you are selling a 335 to get an M3. :confused:

alpha_gangsta
03-17-2011, 02:08 PM
The C63 is definitely manageable during the winter with the right tires and right mind set. Also no issues with my M3 in two winters.

$55k is almost 996 Turbo territory...

pinoyhero
03-17-2011, 02:14 PM
I know the 996t or even 997s are tempting

turbotrip
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
do any of you guys drive an M3 in the winter? how bad is it?

CSMRX7
03-17-2011, 03:27 PM
I drove my m3 2 winters ago and it was great. Did several trips to montana and was no problem. Its all about winter tires though.

pinoyhero
03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Assuming nokians?

benyl
03-17-2011, 07:41 PM
I use LM50s

rage2 uses W300 ice bears.

CSMRX7
03-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I actually have Dunlop M3s which most people claim aren't very good, as they are more cold weather performance tires.

Car would likely me better with a more agressive winter tire.

rage2
03-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I use the ice bears because they're great when it's dry (best dry weather traction for a winter tire), and it's cheap... burn thru WAY too many tires with the C63.

But yea, it's because I drive like an asshole. :D