PDA

View Full Version : Importing from countries other than US/Japan

soccernut
03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone has experience with or heard of people importing from countries other than Japan and the US.

This thought was triggered by the fact that I could not find a LHD 80 series Land Cruiser with manual transmission anywhere in NA.

I know South America, Europe and the Middle East have those around so I was thinking since we can import from Japan, what's to stop us from importing from else where.

ddduke
03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
You should import from Libya, I bet you could get a great deal there.

flipstah
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I would very interested to hear the outcome of this. Philippines is a LHD country.

They have the Pajero and Patrol that I would LOVE to bring here. :love:

I think if it conforms to US safety standards and it's in the 15-year rule, it should be gold... Right?

soccernut
03-15-2011, 09:59 AM
that's what I was thinking but I am not sure what other restrictions there might be

Graham_A_M
03-15-2011, 11:18 PM
I think your biggest problem would be getting the vehicle here. Once it's on canadian soil, just so long ad it's not blacklisted (google the list) and it meets the RIV requirements you're good to go. A few people I know have bought vehicles over from Europe and austrailia

Cooked Rice
03-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
You should import from Libya, I bet you could get a great deal there.

Don't get how that has any relevance to what the OP is asking, but okay. :dunno:

Anyways, you require the same documents as if you were bringing a car here from say Japan.

From the country of export you will need:
Bill of Lading
Export Certificate
Translation of Export Certificate, if not in English
Bill of Sale

You will also need to find out how you are getting it here. Once it arrives, you need:

- Cargo control absteract from who ever is dealing with the vehicle when it gets here, broker, importer, or dock etc...
- After you have that, you will head to the customs office. Example if it was arriving at a Vancouver dock, there's a customs office in Vancouver.
- Fill out Request for release Approval
- Fill out Vehicle Import Form
- Bring all previous documents

flipstah
03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

Don't get how that has any relevance to what the OP is asking, but okay. :dunno:

Anyways, you require the same documents as if you were bringing a car here from say Japan.

From the country of export you will need:
Bill of Lading
Export Certificate
Translation of Export Certificate, if not in English
Bill of Sale

You will also need to find out how you are getting it here. Once it arrives, you need:

- Cargo control absteract from who ever is dealing with the vehicle when it gets here, broker, importer, or dock etc...
- After you have that, you will head to the customs office. Example if it was arriving at a Vancouver dock, there's a customs office in Vancouver.
- Fill out Request for release Approval
- Fill out Vehicle Import Form
- Bring all previous documents

Shit. Sounds complicated... In that case, I'd rather buy an SUV here. A Nissan Patrol isn't THAT awesome lol.

Unless it's the UN-Spec Patrol. :drool:

ercchry
03-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

I think if it conforms to US safety standards and it's in the 15-year rule, it should be gold... Right?

what? why would a car coming into canada have to conform to a standard that we do not follow :confused:

anything 15 and older can come into canada... just has to pass an out of province before it can be registered...

soccernut
03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Complicated but would be a good business idea if you have the contacts.

Think about all the cars you could bring in....I am sure I am not the only one that hates driving on the wrong side of the car

flipstah
03-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

what? why would a car coming into canada have to conform to a standard that we do not follow :confused:

anything 15 and older can come into canada... just has to pass an out of province before it can be registered...

Looks like I was grossly misinformed. My bad. So as long as you have the paperwork and it passes OOP, it's good?

Gah, shipping is always expensive...