PDA

View Full Version : Good tailor in calgary?

phillywu
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
anyone got recommendations for a good tailor in calgary? approximate price range? looking to get some stuff (suit) fitted.

stealth131
03-15-2011, 01:56 PM
http://mariannasalterations.com/

there you go.

badatusrnames
03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by stealth131
I recommend this one (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=good+taylor+in+calgary)

:facepalm: Fail. It's spelled tailor.

And if you did manage to spell it properly, now you've given him a listing of tailors that are best at optimizing their google results. I think he's looking more along the lines of personal recommendations, for people on this site, something that doesn't come from a google search.

+1 for re-ban.

GQBalla
03-15-2011, 02:48 PM
look at his ninja edit

stealth131
03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

:facepalm: Fail. It's spelled tailor.

And if you did manage to spell it properly, now you've given him a listing of tailors that are best at optimizing their google results. I think he's looking more along the lines of personal recommendations, for people on this site, something that doesn't come from a google search.

+1 for re-ban. If you're going to make a fake link at least spell properly like me....

badatusrnames
03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by stealth131
If you're going to make a fake link at least spell properly like me....

Oh fuck off. I quoted you at 2:02, you edited your post at 2:04.

Troll.

GQBalla
03-15-2011, 10:47 PM
plus one i saw the original ahahaha

slinkie
03-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Posts/Day: 5.23

know1edge
03-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Wai's Alterations.

M-CEO
09-17-2012, 12:03 AM
I use Henry's Tailoring. He has two locations, one in Marda Loop and one on Heritage/Macleod. Always impressed.

http://www.henrythetailor.com

msommers
09-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Umberto's

cet
09-17-2012, 09:10 AM
I did not have a good experience at Umberto's.

I use both Henry's and The Tailor Shop on 17th and 37th.

msommers
09-17-2012, 09:22 AM
What happened?

cet
09-18-2012, 07:42 AM
I went in to have a waistcoat made to wear with a morning suit for my wedding. I had a picture on my phone of what I was looking for and asked them about making it. It was a failry standard waistcoat with lapels and 6 buttons where the top button would be about the level of your sternum. We had a look through their pattern books and found one that was similar but would need changes to match what I wanted. The one in their book had 7 buttons where the top button closed much higher, just under the tie knot. We discussed taking out a button and copying the style of the waistcoat in the picture I had. They told me the changes would be no problem and measured me.

I did this over my lunch hour so when I got back to my desk I sent them an email with the picture of what I wanted and discussed the changes. I went in about 8 weeks before my wedding as I thought that would give them enough time since the cloth had to be ordered.

A week before my wedding they gave me a call and told me that my waistcoat was finished, so I went down to try it on. I put it on and got the impression that they didn't think anything was wrong with it. However, it was terrible. It didn't fit me properly as there were huge wrinkles over the shoulders and elsewhere throughout. I actually remember having to ask them about the wrinkles before they decided that they needed fixing. The worst part was that they got the style of the waistcoat completely wrong. All they had done was take the pattern they had which buttoned really high, remove a button and evenly space the other 6. I now had a 6 button version of the 7 button waistcoat that they showed me.

I explained to them that this was not what I wanted and reminded them about our conversation and the email I sent with the picture in it. Their response? I'm sorry - there's nothing we can do. We would have to order more cloth which wouldn't be here in time to make the changes. I was basically stuck and had to take the waistcoat as they made it with some alterations to take out some of the wrinkles.

They have been in business for a while so I’m sure there are people who have no issues at all with them and are satisfied with the products they put out. This was my first experience with a custom tailor and it left me discouraged and with zero confidence in them as tailors. Needless to say, I won’t be using them again.

SilverKast
09-18-2012, 01:36 PM
+1 for Henry's. I've been going to him for over 10yrs now with any and all of my alterations and he's always done a great job.

I've never had him make a suit so I don't know how that would work out. But based on the other work I've had done there I'd have no problems with him doing it for me.

Str1der
09-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
Wai's Alterations.

Are not tailors.

max_boost
09-18-2012, 05:14 PM
So anything you need altered just bring it to Henry's? I have a couple dress shirts that need to be shorten and a jacket that needs to be taken in.

cet
09-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I have a Brooks Brothers sport coat at Henry's now that I was having a lot of work done to. I'm picking it up on Friday and can let you know how it turned out if you like.

Graham_A_M
09-18-2012, 09:48 PM
http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail.cfm?company=2030202_A_Plus_Tailor_Shop_Ltd_Calgary_AB

^ I'd recommend these guys in a heartbeat. They did a bunch of leather repairs on my motorcycle gear, and did a phenomenal job, for way less then other shops wanted.

I've had pants & other stuff redone there ever since, and never had a single thing to bitch about.
:thumbsup:

(FWIW, I used to go to Wai's Alterations, but I found the quality went down a good ways, and their prices went up so I stopped going there a good while ago).

nzwasp
09-19-2012, 08:00 AM
If you are looking for a person to do alterations and live in the NW near crowfoot there is a korean place in one of those office towers (i think the one with the radiology place in it) it was always good work and pretty well priced.

black_2.5RS
09-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Go to the Tailor Shop. Best in Calgary period. I've used to make at least 10x in the last 2 years and he's a magician. He's not the cheapest, but I believe you get what you pay for.

He also makes fully bespoke suits - one of very few tailors that do it in Canada.

Str1der
10-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
Go to the Tailor Shop. Best in Calgary period.

This.

nicknolte
10-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Henry's is great. He salvaged my only (and severely botched) Indochino order

max_boost
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Went to both the Tailor shop and Henry's.

Giovanni? at Talior Shop, older gentleman probably late 60's, early 70s? Still uses the manual swipe for credit card payments. Shorten my jacket for $120. Didn't really get to talk to him, perhaps that's the old school experience. Whereas Henry, Asian guy late 40's? but super friendly and personable. I liked that much more.

J.M.
10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
+1 for Henry's. He always forgets my name but he gets shit done.

reijo
10-08-2013, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by J.M.
+1 for Henry's. He always forgets my name but he gets shit done.

Yes, Henry's ... except his Marda Loop location is closed for now since we are building a new building for him there ... same location .... so go to the Macleod Trail location. Good guy.

R